Author Topic: iMAtZ THxEATER  (Read 188380 times)

Offline Munskie

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • HighDef Enthusiast
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: The new MAtZTER's DEN
« Reply #270 on: Jan 17, 2006 at 11:08 AM »
cguro ang layo ng difference ng PQ hd-dvd/blue ray no?  i just hope they'll come up with a solution to this format war para hindi tayo kawawa mga consumers..... ;D and hope sana magka HD broadcast na rin tayo dito (libre mangarap di ba?)  ;D ;D

Offline ricky

• Trade Count: (+68)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Duh?
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 544
« Reply #271 on: Jan 17, 2006 at 11:13 AM »
matt you are correct that using the computer to play your dvd is really a different experience,that's what my friend bote is using and he's trying to convince me for the longest time to do the same ;D before i had a plan to put up a htpc para may remote kaya lang sobra mahal ;D ;D ;D There is another thread here show me your htpc set-up pare where you can have a better idea,baka NO NEED TO BUY HD/BLU RAY PLAYERS IN THE FUTURE. ;)

Offline aldrinpsx

• Trade Count: (0)
  • DVD Guru
  • Region 1 fanatic!!!!!!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #272 on: Jan 17, 2006 at 11:15 AM »
Ill settle for the  ps3..then lets wait and see for the outcome.

peace!!!

Offline elmers

• Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #273 on: Jan 18, 2006 at 03:32 PM »
But I brought my office PC to my bedroom & observed that you can watch closer when watching through PC (VGA cable) on the LCD TV, less pixelation and grains as compared to playing it on a DVD player. But its very inconvenient cuz no remote (pwede with wireless keyboard & mouse) and you have to shut off the PC & wait...unlike dvd player, pag off, off kaagad.

Matt,
check out mo yung new intel platform Intel VIIV built for the home.  http://www.intel.com/products/viiv/index.htm
I hope the link works.  simplified HTPC and they say, it can accommodate a 7.1 setup.  Ask Wowie about it.. :)

btw, I always forget to fwd to you the shots I took.  No time for me to open my PC at home.    Btw, minsan let's play around and get pictures of your set-up.  Practice na rin for me.. hehehe. 

Offline MAtZTER

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • More POWER to your HT! literally ...
  • Liked:
« Reply #274 on: Jan 19, 2006 at 10:25 AM »
Matt,
check out mo yung new intel platform Intel VIIV built for the home.  http://www.intel.com/products/viiv/index.htm
I hope the link works.  simplified HTPC and they say, it can accommodate a 7.1 setup.  Ask Wowie about it.. :)

btw, I always forget to fwd to you the shots I took.  No time for me to open my PC at home.    Btw, minsan let's play around and get pictures of your set-up.  Practice na rin for me.. hehehe. 

I would love that, your camera is so hi tech, I would prefer it over mine any time. I am almost finished with hiding all the messy wirings at the back, so malapit na. Bring your child so she could watch some cartoons here as well.

Wowie told me about it, its great but I am allergic to gastos for now. I will just look it up next time  :)

matt you are correct that using the computer to play your dvd is really a different experience,that's what my friend bote is using and he's trying to convince me for the longest time to do the same ;D before i had a plan to put up a htpc para may remote kaya lang sobra mahal ;D ;D ;D There is another thread here show me your htpc set-up pare where you can have a better idea,baka NO NEED TO BUY HD/BLU RAY PLAYERS IN THE FUTURE. ;)

Naku, kung sobrang mahal para sa yo,  then mukhang out of reach na yan for me.  :-\  :'(

Offline ricky

• Trade Count: (+68)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Duh?
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 544
« Reply #275 on: Jan 19, 2006 at 12:12 PM »
mahal para sa akin kasi ang dami kong anak at maliit kita ay walang kita pala ngayon.Kidding aside pare try looking at pc as dvd player,its awesome and maybe cheaper pa than hd/bluray players, multi purpose pa. ;D

Offline whipsaw

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #276 on: Jan 20, 2006 at 11:58 AM »
matz,

so you chose the lengthy and slim dining table to make space for your ht den? darn, that is a great idea. 

i live in a condo too, in rockwell. i have decent space. not big. not small, but my problem is i have a living room where i keep my listening gear, and an adjacent dining is that is not closed out from my living room. typical condo design that seems very anti audio.

i am considering putting a divider as well. Would you recommend glass or a sliding wood panel. You seem to have both. which is more costly?

thanks man.

whip

Offline MAtZTER

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #277 on: Jan 20, 2006 at 12:47 PM »

so you chose the lengthy and slim dining table to make space for your ht den? darn, that is a great idea. 

i live in a condo too, in rockwell. i have decent space. not big. not small, but my problem is i have a living room where i keep my listening gear, and an adjacent dining is that is not closed out from my living room. typical condo design that seems very anti audio.

i am considering putting a divider as well. Would you recommend glass or a sliding wood panel. You seem to have both. which is more costly?

Basically yes & no  :D. We actually bought that table on a sale,  one year before we moved in. Its an expandable table on both sides and believe it or not, we could accommodate up to 14-18 diners here in our small space, elmers knows that, lol  ;D. We were supposed to face it to the window before, but I wanted to close the HT room (with much opposition from the missus ;D ) and the table was in the way. So I had it repositioned to its current layout and put it near the mirrored wall to create an illusion of a very long table. It was a last minute repositioning that actually worked to the advantage of the HT. But even a round table would fit, but it could accomodate less people.

On condos being anti audio. Most basic designs are , but it depends on you if you really want to make it pro audio. My listening area is living proof of how desperate one can get to squeeze a A/V den  ;D, even on a small space. hahaha.

Adjacent dining area, in my previous experience (we were renting before while waiting for this unit) would be great for HT, its a wonderful place to position your 6th & 7th channel if its a long living room + dining room connected to each other. The surrounds are just great! but not for audio listening :(.

Glass dividers are for aesthetic puposes and not recommended for audio (acoustically). BUT its very easy to install though, no renovation needed Maybe a day is enough for installation. I dont know the cost because the glass we used, we got it for free from a closed commercial store of a relative. Cutting & installation cost was minimal. I put it there so I could compromise with my wife's request to have the HT room visible from the dining...and aesthetic too. It's positioned at the back for acoustic reasons.

Wood dividers is better recommended, specially for audio, but you might need a small renovation, thats time & money, not to mention you live there and there will be carpenters working around. If you will have ducco finish, its easier, but varnished veneer? Gee it takes forever for the painters to polish if you want a good quality finish (labor cost is gonna kill ya   ;)). The cost would depend on the meterials you use, but in my case it was the labor cost that really got my attention, lol. I hired a very expensive painter who chose his (expensive) assistants. But in the end, the finish was great and even my wife loved it, the guests too. so word of advice...hire a good finishing painter, kahit mahal, huwag magtipid, cuz you will get what you pay for..  :)

I hope that helps  :)
« Last Edit: Aug 07, 2006 at 10:58 AM by MAtZTER »

Offline vtec3

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 30
« Reply #278 on: Jan 20, 2006 at 04:55 PM »
Sir Matzter, congrats sa bagong gears mo! VERY NICE!!!

Medyo na late sa pagbati, have not visited this thread for a while  ;) pero i will visit this now more often baka may bagong addition  ;D

Offline bayonic

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #279 on: Jan 22, 2006 at 08:47 PM »
great gears and home you've got there sir ....

and ty for the DIY acoustic panels info ... wala bang patent yan ? pwedeng gayahin ?

Offline MAtZTER

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #280 on: Jan 23, 2006 at 10:49 AM »
Vtec3: Thanks bro! stay tuned, there might be a few pictures coming  :)

great gears and home you've got there sir ....

and ty for the DIY acoustic panels info ... wala bang patent yan ? pwedeng gayahin ?

Thanks Bayonic.  Of course there is no patent and you are free to do the DIY panels yourself with your own (external) design, thats why I gladly shared the panel info there for our fellow members.  :). You can also look at the panel design done at Sound Dimension Park Sq. 1, its very nice.

Siguro wag lang gayahin ng eksakto yung design ng buong HT, we (me & wife) wouldnt mind  ;D. I think thats understandable :)

For those who liked the sofa and will custom design your own for private use (not for commercial gain), OK lang, I didnt patent that  :D, but just call the sofa "Matzter's Slouch Couch"  ;D. I will be making some modifications w/c was part of the original design (for armrest) for that sofa  soon.
« Last Edit: Jan 23, 2006 at 11:25 AM by MAtZTER »

Offline elmers

• Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #281 on: Jan 24, 2006 at 02:55 PM »
Here is a view outside (DTS ES Logo), the lighting fixture is a reflection, it is from the dining area.

View from the entrance (with some lighting)

View from the couch!

Lights out!

when there is time, let's get some nice pictures of the hardware. :)

and yes, 15-18 people can squeeze in for a dinner get together.. hahaha!

Offline pchin

• Trade Count: (+122)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • HD-Men
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #282 on: Jan 24, 2006 at 02:58 PM »
Maybe in future Mat can organize an EB in his beautiful Den? I for one will be more than happy to attend!  ;D

Offline ronjet

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 98
« Reply #283 on: Jan 24, 2006 at 05:15 PM »
Thanks Ronjet! No SARS so far. Sabi nila Jetok & New Age wala na raw kailangan i-upgrade so I believe them, mga idol ko yan eh.  :)

New pics? Hmmm, may bagong addition coming for our bedroom...but I am "maarte" as ricky said in another post  ;D. So I will renovate the area a bit before I post it.  :)

GALING naman sir.. sarap siguro ng feeling pagnarinig mo na, wala nakailangan pang iupgrade! :D ::) GOOD JOB sir matz! ill check yung mga bagong pic. :)

Offline MAtZTER

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #284 on: Jan 25, 2006 at 11:21 AM »
Thanks Pchin & Ronjet  :)

And thanks elmers for the wonderful pictures. Galing talaga ng camera mo! Mine sux  :-[

Lets get some more pics of the hardware next time. I will be finalizing the cable management this week.
« Last Edit: Jan 25, 2006 at 11:25 AM by MAtZTER »

Offline dts-HD 3D

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 16
« Reply #285 on: Jan 25, 2006 at 02:46 PM »
Wow! another dream HT setup you'v got there sir Matz.

Looking at the skin tones, looks like well calibrated na ae900 mo. congrats!

Offline MAtZTER

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #286 on: Jan 25, 2006 at 04:00 PM »
Thanks sir. Actually, yung hi tech camera ni elmers ang calibrated  :D. jk

Kidding aside, its a DIY calibration using Sound & Vision DVD, care of sillyputty, thanks Paul  :)!

Here are some hi quality gold plated RCA plugs that I will be installing tomorrow for the PJ's in-wall/ceiling component cable, 6 total, 3 for each end (front wall & back ceiling) of the hidden cable. The 7th one will be  for a coaxial cable (for audio) for the rear, in case I put a HDMI  HD or BR dvd player at the back in the future. This coaxial cable is also ceiling hid & goes all the way to the receiver. All I have to do in the future is plug the HDMI cable from the player to the PJ & connect a coax to this outlet.

The component cables were just so messy, protruding & lying around, so I decided to put wall RCA outlets for the component cable, just like my surrounds. Also, I miscalculated the length of the component cable, so its a bit too exact  on both sides (no allowances  :().

Problem was I needed 2 extra sets of component cable, one from PJ to back ceiling outlet, and another from dvd player to front outlet. So I just cut my old 3m Monster cable I am using with the LCD TV to accommodate all 3 cables that I needed. I had to solder new monster cable rca jacks to the ends I cut.

I will post pics of the finished product soon.
« Last Edit: Jan 25, 2006 at 04:41 PM by MAtZTER »

Offline Munskie

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HighDef Enthusiast
  • Liked:
« Reply #287 on: Jan 25, 2006 at 11:11 PM »
Thanks sir. Actually, yung hi tech camera ni elmers ang calibrated  :D. jk

Kidding aside, its a DIY calibration using Sound & Vision DVD, care of sillyputty, thanks Paul  :)!

Here are some hi quality gold plated RCA plugs that I will be installing tomorrow for the PJ's in-wall/ceiling component cable, 6 total, 3 for each end (front wall & back ceiling) of the hidden cable. The 7th one will be  for a coaxial cable (for audio) for the rear, in case I put a HDMI  HD or BR dvd player at the back in the future. This coaxial cable is also ceiling hid & goes all the way to the receiver. All I have to do in the future is plug the HDMI cable from the player to the PJ & connect a coax to this outlet.

The component cables were just so messy, protruding & lying around, so I decided to put wall RCA outlets for the component cable, just like my surrounds. Also, I miscalculated the length of the component cable, so its a bit too exact  on both sides (no allowances  :().

Problem was I needed 2 extra sets of component cable, one from PJ to back ceiling outlet, and another from dvd player to front outlet. So I just cut my old 3m Monster cable I am using with the LCD TV to accommodate all 3 cables that I needed. I had to solder new monster cable rca jacks to the ends I cut.

I will post pics of the finished product soon.
just like sir ricky had said...pro talaga si sir matz!!  ;D ;D

Offline MAtZTER

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #288 on: Jan 27, 2006 at 10:53 AM »
Finally! I finished the cable management.

Here is the finished product of the wall rca plugs at the back ceiling. A hidden 4th jack is for audio.

Front component RCA plugs. Also visible, the panel for fixing/ organizing the wires.

No more clutter at the floor at last! I was able to finally close the panel at the center where all the wires used to come out like snakes in an Indiana Jones movie.

"I can see clearly now, the rain is gone...". It always bugged me when I saw all those messy cables on the floor. :)

« Last Edit: Jan 27, 2006 at 02:12 PM by MAtZTER »

Offline pchin

• Trade Count: (+122)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • HD-Men
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #289 on: Jan 27, 2006 at 10:58 AM »
wow...very neat & tidy, congrat Mat!  :D

Offline elvenears

• Collector
  • dont drink and drive, if you can smoke and fly!!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #290 on: Jan 27, 2006 at 11:17 AM »
Finally! I finished the cable management.

Here is the finished product of the wall rca plugs at the back ceiling. A hidden 4th jack is for audio.

front plugs

No more clutter at the floor at last! I was able to finally close the panel at the center (the wide space between the 2 black wall plates )where all the wires were coming out like snakes in an Indiana Jones movie.

"I can see clearly now, the rain is gone...". It always bugged me when I saw all that mess on the floor. :)

sir matzter im just wondering.....anong klaseng mga wires ang ginamit nyo sa loob ng walling kasi i have the same problem about wires......can you recommend a site na pwedeng magturo para sa concrete walls naman .....tnx in advance ;D
from the antigravity defying force of an immortal jedi

Offline Munskie

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HighDef Enthusiast
  • Liked:
« Reply #291 on: Jan 27, 2006 at 11:19 AM »
ang ganda sir matz...nice neat and organized wiring... ;D ;D

Offline MAtZTER

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #292 on: Jan 27, 2006 at 12:01 PM »
Thanks munskie & pchin!  :)

sir matzter im just wondering.....anong klaseng mga wires ang ginamit nyo sa loob ng walling kasi i have the same problem about wires......can you recommend a site na pwedeng magturo para sa concrete walls naman .....tnx in advance ;D

I used 8m Monster component cable for video and 4 stretches of Genesis 12ga wires, 7m each, for the surrounds. All going through the front wall & ceiling.  The insulation of the Genesis was thick & well protected enough. Kinapos yung Monster component cable so I had to do the wall RCA thing  ;D.

This was all DIY and I didnt refer to any site regarding the wire management. It was sleepless nights thinking of ways to hide the wires. Its going to be harder for cement in terms of flexibility, cuz you cant change the cables anymore. But as you can see in my project. It really depends on how much you wanna do it. In tagalog "pag gusto, may paraan".

Funny thing, I had another sleepless night yesterday. I had an amazing idea for my bedroom setup. I dont have the budget to buy another AVR again, and since my bedroom setup is exactly right above the HT setup. I was thinking of putting wires connecting to the AVR below. HK630 has another area 2 remote

All I have to do is to bore a hole in the bedroom floor and let the area-2 remote wire of the AVR, 2 coax (one for sub & 1 for audio) & 5 speaker wires go down through the hole (it will be hidden by curtains up & below). Then connect them to the AVR using my old wall plug system. Moving banana plugs to another wall receptacle activates the speakers in the bedroom above.

This way I will still have the awesome sound & power of the HK630 in my bedroom. Saves me money too! This is exciting!

It requires a bit of setting up though, every time I will use the bedroom HT.  But to quote Paul (sillyputty) on his comment on the 40k motorized screen + remote controlled light switch combo:  "isipin mo na lang evertime you adjust it (the screen & lights) manually, you save 40+k"  ;D

I wonder if this will pass the WAF "Wife Approval Factor"  ;D
« Last Edit: Jan 27, 2006 at 12:18 PM by MAtZTER »

Offline elvenears

• Collector
  • dont drink and drive, if you can smoke and fly!!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #293 on: Jan 27, 2006 at 12:39 PM »
sir magkano po per meter nung mga cable na nasabi nyo?meron po bang cheap alternatives for the cables that you have ?
from the antigravity defying force of an immortal jedi

Offline s2kov

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #294 on: Jan 27, 2006 at 02:15 PM »
congrats matt! :) organized lahat ng kable mo! ;D

Offline av_phile1

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Cheers from a movie and music lover
  • Liked:
Re: MAtZTER's DEN
« Reply #295 on: Jan 27, 2006 at 02:26 PM »
Too bad I cant say the same for my upgrade itch for video.  ;D

There are also room conditions you should follow to get the most out of video, like lighting conditions/locations, the type of bulb used and the kind of room paint used.  I came across a net article and examples of this but didn't bookmark as they were" too rich for my blood."   ;D  Will see if I can find it.  You may want to research on this as well.   But looking at your pics, seems you prefer to watch in total darkness, so maybe this is not needed.   ;D
« Last Edit: Jan 27, 2006 at 02:28 PM by av_phile1 »

Offline sanmig_ph

• DVD Guru
  • Sarap Magbago....
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #296 on: Jan 27, 2006 at 03:06 PM »
bro matz ang galing mo talaga sa mga DIY project.
kung may audit lang sa mga ht room pasadong pasado ka na. ;D ;D ;D
He always provides!  and He always does when you least expect it!

Offline MAtZTER

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #297 on: Jan 27, 2006 at 03:24 PM »
Thanks Sanmigph & s2kov. Hilig lang talaga sa hobby yan. At sabi nga ni ricky, maarte daw kasi ako  ;D.

elvenears: The genesis 12ga wires is cheap in Raon (less than P50). It doesnt get any cheaper than that for 12ga wires.

av_phile1: sir I am ok with my current room conditions, I dont see any problem at all with them. And I dont really prefer total darkness, its the reason why I chose LCD for the bedroom, para lights on naman. There is also a Feng Shui reason why I chose the LCD, but its too funny to mention.  :D

I just called a HK dealer regarding the IR device for the zone 2 project I mentioned above. The Harman Kardon IR sensor costs P7500! and its just an IR sensor! Geez, does anybody know if you can use other (cheaper) IR devices on the HK?
« Last Edit: Jan 27, 2006 at 03:37 PM by MAtZTER »

Offline av_phile1

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Cheers from a movie and music lover
  • Liked:
« Reply #298 on: Jan 27, 2006 at 04:15 PM »

I just called a HK dealer regarding the IR device for the zone 2 project I mentioned above. The Harman Kardon IR sensor costs P7500! and its just an IR sensor! Geez, does anybody know if you can use other (cheaper) IR devices on the HK?

The Onkyo IR I inquired a few years back was about as much.  I guess they price those gadgets knowing you'd save money using that rather than getting another set of gears in zone 2. 

Offline voj

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • DVD Addict
  • Ephesians 2:8-9
  • Liked:
« Reply #299 on: Jan 27, 2006 at 04:48 PM »
If I remember right I bought all my IR gadget for around 3k 6k, still have not time to use it though.  I saw a house with a Creston all in one remote and it uses a lot of these IRs to replace the IRs of the different components.  Check with the Creston dealer.  Can't remember the name.

edit: mali pala - mga 6k din ata
« Last Edit: Jan 27, 2006 at 04:51 PM by vojdiaz »