Author Topic: Superman II: Director's Cut  (Read 1996 times)

Offline seph1018

• Trade Count: (+103)
  • DVD Guru
  • You are not your DVD/BD collection!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
Superman II: Director's Cut
« on: Sep 29, 2005 at 12:38 PM »
Finally, after long speculation if it would ever be released. :)
from thedigitalbits.com

Also today, there are online reports from various Superman-themed websites (including Superman Cinema) that Warner Bros. and producer Ilya Salkind have finally negotiated a deal for the release of director Richard Donner's original unused footage from Superman II. This would allow for the creation of a long-awaited Superman II: Director's Cut that would be closer to the film Donner was crafting before the film was taken away from him by the studio back in 1979 and given to replacement director Richard Lester. Donner, as many of you know, also directed the original Superman: The Movie (the two films were shot, for the most part, simultaneously). The idea behind all of this, of course, is that Warner wants to release new DVD special editions of Superman II, Superman III and Superman IV: The Quest for Peace in conjunction with the theatrical or DVD debut of Bryan Singer's currently in production Superman Returns. The new film is expected to hit theaters in June 2006.

Here is also a link here sa pinoydvd regarding news of this release:

http://pinoydvd.com/board/index.php?topic=40861.20
« Last Edit: Sep 29, 2005 at 12:41 PM by seph1018 »
... if this is your first night at Fight Club, you have to fight.

Offline Gideon

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • DVD Addict
  • Galactic Bowler
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Superman II: Director's Cut
« Reply #1 on: Sep 30, 2005 at 07:48 PM »
Ok ito ha.  may ganun pa pala kahit luma ng pelikula.
Begin 2 Imagine
[img]http://http://i3

Offline hemisphere

• Trade Count: (0)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • On the Lot!
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: Jan 28, 2006 at 08:28 AM »

Yes... looks like it's true. We've known for a while now that Warner Home Video was working on new DVD special editions of the Superman films to tie in with the release of Bryan Singer's Superman Returns later this year (in theaters 6/30), but now we have the first actual confirmation... from Ilya Salkind, who co-produced the first three Superman films! Salkind has acknowledged that he's working with Warner on the new DVDs, and that all of the films in the series are being restored and given deluxe new special edition treatment, a-la last year's Batman Anthology collection. By far the best news in all this, is that it seems that Warner is FINALLY allowing Richard Donner to create his original director's cut of Superman II! How damn cool is that?! As many of you know, Donner directed Superman: The Movie and most of Superman II  back to back, but was eventually fired from the sequel. Director Richard Lester was hired to replace him, and it's Lester's cut of the film that we've seen all these years. What's cool is that Lester's theatrical cut of the film is being given special edition treatment as well, so you'll be able to fully explore BOTH versions of Superman II on DVD this summer. Lester MAY even do an interview for the DVD - something he's been reluctant to do over the years given the controversy. This information comes from Salkind via The Superman Homepage fan site, which expects to publish a full interview with Salkind in the coming weeks. Very cool news indeed (though keep in mind that until Warner announces this set, it's all still unofficial).

from DigitalBits

Offline DVD_Freak

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Life is a Blessing
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 12
« Reply #3 on: Jan 28, 2006 at 09:12 AM »
I hope they release a boxed set much like the Batman Anthology.  Then I certainly would buy it.

;D

Offline seph1018

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: Jan 28, 2006 at 12:02 PM »
Oh man...brand new SEs of the Superman movies sounds great. "To-Buy" list updated... ;D

Offline viperkid

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: Jan 30, 2006 at 03:04 PM »
I wish they would restore the "lost" Brando footage.  ;)

Offline fredrk

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #6 on: Feb 01, 2006 at 08:56 AM »
I hope this comes out with a very attractive pre-order price...  Very interested in how this film looks after Richard Donner finishes it.   ;D

Offline kahl-el

• Collector
  • Great Krypton !!
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: Feb 01, 2006 at 09:15 AM »
Just read that Richard Donner is not yet directly involved in the restoration of the missing Donner footages.

Warner also announced that they will be releasing a 14 discs Superman Ultimate Edition set.

:D :D :D

Offline DVD_Freak

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Life is a Blessing
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: Feb 02, 2006 at 08:45 AM »
Warner also announced that they will be releasing a 14 discs Superman Ultimate Edition set.

:D :D :D

Whoa!!!!!  3,500-4000 bucks malamang!!!

Offline edboy7

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • My name is Juan Antonio
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 15
« Reply #9 on: Feb 02, 2006 at 10:00 AM »
yahoo and its oh so true! :)....just when im about to get supes' 1-4 boxset! ::)..this could be my bday and xmas gift for myself para no more explanations with the  wifey ;D
READ ALL ABOUT IT!
and will be available before the year ends ;)
« Last Edit: Feb 02, 2006 at 10:09 AM by edboy7 »

Offline DVD_Freak

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Life is a Blessing
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: Feb 02, 2006 at 06:42 PM »
Looks like Supes will get a better treatment on DVD than the Dark Knight.

Oh man better save up for this!!!

Offline baby

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • DVD Guru
  • who are you calling a llama???
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: Feb 03, 2006 at 01:41 AM »
will get the mega super box set.  Super talaga.

Tapos they will re-release it in HD DVD or blue ray. ::)

oh well.  I'll still get this one. ;D

Offline edboy7

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: Feb 07, 2006 at 05:51 PM »
from davisdvd:
Superman: Ultimate Collector's Set
 Warner Home Video will release a fourteen-disc Superman: Ultimate Collector's Edition mega box set this summer in conjunction with the theatrical release of the latest entry in the film franchise, Superman Returns. Details are still lacking, but the collection promises to include new two-disc special editions of all four "Superman" films, as well as "Supergirl." Foremost, however, is a new recut of "Superman II" approximating director Richard Donner's original vision of the film (including 20-40% of never-before-seen footage). The rest of the set will include featurettes, documentaries, deleted scenes and other superstuff. As for the films themselves, new high definition anamorphic transfers and remastered audio tracks are the order of the day. Stay tuned for more official details as they are released!

Supergirl is in :)

Offline seph1018

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: Feb 08, 2006 at 12:10 PM »
from davisdvd:
Superman: Ultimate Collector's Set
 Warner Home Video will release a fourteen-disc Superman: Ultimate Collector's Edition mega box set this summer in conjunction with the theatrical release of the latest entry in the film franchise, Superman Returns. Details are still lacking, but the collection promises to include new two-disc special editions of all four "Superman" films, as well as "Supergirl." Foremost, however, is a new recut of "Superman II" approximating director Richard Donner's original vision of the film (including 20-40% of never-before-seen footage). The rest of the set will include featurettes, documentaries, deleted scenes and other superstuff. As for the films themselves, new high definition anamorphic transfers and remastered audio tracks are the order of the day. Stay tuned for more official details as they are released!

I hope that they'd also release the movies separately like what they did to The Bat movies. ;D Only have a liking to the 1st 2movies and Supergirl. But since no details have been confirmed, waiting will be the order of the day. ;D

Offline edboy7

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: Feb 09, 2006 at 07:55 PM »
UPDATE :)
do you think it will hit 200 bucks? ???

Offline hemisphere

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • On the Lot!
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: Feb 09, 2006 at 09:50 PM »
lower than $150 i guess..

8)

Offline rafgar

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: Feb 15, 2006 at 10:06 AM »
I hope that they'd also release the movies separately like what they did to The Bat movies. ;D Only have a liking to the 1st 2movies and Supergirl. But since no details have been confirmed, waiting will be the order of the day. ;D

Bad news for those who are hoping that the movies (including Donner's Superman II) will be released separately.  Below is a post from dvdreview.com dated 2/1/2006:

Donner won't stand alone

As was previously announced, Richard Donner's version of Superman II is scheduled to be released as part of the Ultimate Superman Set. Sadly, Warner will not bre releasing the cut as a single release at this time.

Considering that Superman:  Ultimate Collector's Edition is a 14-disc set, ilang libo naman kaya ito?  I already have the four Superman movies and Supergirl, kaya I'm only interested in the Superman II Director's cut. 

:-[ :-[ :-[