Author Topic: T-amp Discussion Thread  (Read 295258 times)

Offline Ghtanalyst

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Apprentice
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: T-amp Discussion Thread
« Reply #1140 on: Jan 26, 2011 at 01:02 PM »
teka-teka >>> pls check your sub and manual>>>

Rear high- and low-level inputs increase connection flexibility
http://www.miragespeakers.com/na-en/products/omni-s8-overview/

basta huwag mo pagsabayin na konektado ang high and low level inputs ha...

Yes sir. i think it says that i should connect to the low level input lang.

Can i just connect the sat speakers to the input of the sub? parang series.

- r       ----------     -r 
               + r       ----------     +r
t-amp <     Omni S8 input           Speakers in
               - l       -----------     -l
               + l       -----------     +l

or parallel nalang?
            ----------- Speakers R
            ----------- omni s8 R
t-amp <
            ------------ omni s8 L
            ------------Speakers R

or just go on with the split source connection? (Problem is separate volume control. You have to adjust volume on the amp and the sub separately.)  :)

Offline oweidah

• Trade Count: (+61)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 633
« Reply #1141 on: Jan 26, 2011 at 01:59 PM »
yung t-amp speaker terminals papunta sa subwoofer (in)speakerlevel terminals (huwag mo kokonektahan yung rca ha). tas yung subwoofer (out)speaker level terminals papunta sa satellite speakers.

timpla ka ng volume t-amp at subwoofer.

Offline BigBert-2

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #1142 on: Jan 26, 2011 at 03:50 PM »
« Last Edit: Jan 26, 2011 at 04:03 PM by BigBert-2 »

Offline Ghtanalyst

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #1143 on: Jan 26, 2011 at 05:56 PM »
Thanks sir. Unfortunately my sub (omni s8) does not have speaker level out. Only lfe in and rca in.

Offline Conan

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 814
« Reply #1144 on: Jan 26, 2011 at 07:29 PM »
Thanks sir. Unfortunately my sub (omni s8) does not have speaker level out. Only lfe in and rca in.

I just checked my Omni S8 and it does have two sets of high level inputs but no output.
« Last Edit: Jan 26, 2011 at 07:29 PM by Conan »
Polk Audio Reserve R200
B&W 606 S2 Anniversary Edition
NAD C368 Integrated Amplifier
Cambridge CXA60

Offline Ghtanalyst

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #1145 on: Jan 26, 2011 at 07:51 PM »
I just checked my Omni S8 and it does have two sets of high level inputs but no output.

Yes sir. The omni s8 doesnt have output jacks.

Is it safe to parallel the powered sub with the speakers? By the way i am using the lepai ta2020 t-amp with wharfedale diamond 9.1 speakers and omni s8 sub.

Offline Ghtanalyst

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #1146 on: Jan 30, 2011 at 11:07 AM »
Update lang re:sub connection.

Was able to connect the sub in parallel to the speakers using the lfe connection to my lepai T- amp. My sub now has volume control via the amp.

Medyo masikip lang masikip lang connection sa likod ng amp because i am still using the spring connections of my stock lepai t - amp and using high gauge speaker wires.

Next step upgrade my t-amp to use binding posts.

Offline Stagea

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hype Fidelity
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 606
« Reply #1147 on: Jan 31, 2011 at 04:13 AM »
Is it safe to parallel the powered sub with the speakers? By the way i am using the lepai ta2020 t-amp with wharfedale diamond 9.1 speakers and omni s8 sub.

Yes, this is how it's meant to be done. :)

Offline plapoy

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #1148 on: Feb 07, 2011 at 04:10 PM »
Good day mga sir,

ask ko lang po kung pwede ung rti a3 dito sa t-amp particularly yung dayton dta-1.. Thanks po sa  input.. :)

Offline Conan

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #1149 on: Feb 07, 2011 at 04:50 PM »
Good day mga sir,

ask ko lang po kung pwede ung rti a3 dito sa t-amp particularly yung dayton dta-1.. Thanks po sa  input.. :)

I don't see why not. But best to bring your speakers to demo with the T-amp.
Polk Audio Reserve R200
Cambridge CXA60

Offline plapoy

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #1150 on: Feb 07, 2011 at 05:07 PM »
Salamat sir conan..

baka po kasi hindi match yung sensitivity, power at impedance ng  speaker ko dun dayton t-amp.. eto muna siguro gamitin ko since wala pako budget for avr.. :) salamat po ulit..:)

Offline Conan

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #1151 on: Feb 07, 2011 at 05:11 PM »
Salamat sir conan..

baka po kasi hindi match yung sensitivity, power at impedance ng  speaker ko dun dayton t-amp.. eto muna siguro gamitin ko since wala pako budget for avr.. :) salamat po ulit..:)

Sensitivity, power and impedance is no problem, it's the sonics or actual sound that will dictate kung bagay.
« Last Edit: Feb 07, 2011 at 05:12 PM by Conan »
Polk Audio Reserve R200
Cambridge CXA60

Offline JojoD818

• Trade Count: (+147)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Bring it on!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 57
« Reply #1152 on: Feb 07, 2011 at 08:25 PM »
Sensitivity, power and impedance is no problem, it's the sonics or actual sound that will dictate kung bagay.

I hope what you meant was a high sensitivity speaker does not guarantee a 100% match.

Sensitivity is an issue with t-amps since power is low. Hence, it is best served with high sensitivity speakers to maximize the few Watts it can produce. Though impedance may not be a problem as long as you are within 4 ohms limits.

Of course no one can live with sensitivity alone, it is the overall sonics and system synergy that gives us the audio nirvana that we all crave for.

My few cents... cheers!

Offline Conan

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #1153 on: Feb 07, 2011 at 10:13 PM »

I hope what you meant was a high sensitivity speaker does not guarantee a 100% match.

Sensitivity is an issue with t-amps since power is low. Hence, it is best served with high sensitivity speakers to maximize the few Watts it can produce. Though impedance may not be a problem as long as you are within 4 ohms limits.

Of course no one can live with sensitivity alone, it is the overall sonics and system synergy that gives us the audio nirvana that we all crave for.

My few cents... cheers!

Based on my experience (and also Rex of Watts HiFi) the T-amp will sound loud with high sensitivity speakers like my Klipsch RB 61 II. However the sound was not good, it was a bit shrill actually. The T-amp actually sounds better with speakers in the 86-87 level like my JBL S-26 and the Wharfdale 9.1. I'm not sure though if the better match is due to the warm character or the lower sensitivity of the Wharfdale though my JBL cannot be characterized as warm it has a mildly bright sound but it sounded a whole lot better than my Klipsch. That's why testing the speaker out with the T-amp is the only way to know.
Polk Audio Reserve R200
Cambridge CXA60

Offline plapoy

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #1154 on: Feb 08, 2011 at 04:39 AM »

My few cents... cheers!

Thanks for the input Sir Jojo.. by the way the sensitivity of the RTi A3 is 89db, 20w-150w recommended power amplifier. do you think they will match with the t-amp?. TIA

Offline plapoy

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #1155 on: Feb 08, 2011 at 04:50 AM »
Based on my experience (and also Rex of Watts HiFi) the T-amp will sound loud with high sensitivity speakers like my Klipsch RB 61 II. However the sound was not good, it was a bit shrill actually. The T-amp actually sounds better with speakers in the 86-87 level like my JBL S-26 and the Wharfdale 9.1. I'm not sure though if the better match is due to the warm character or the lower sensitivity of the Wharfdale though my JBL cannot be characterized as warm it has a mildly bright sound but it sounded a whole lot better than my Klipsch. That's why testing the speaker out with the T-amp is the only way to know.

Thanks sir Conan for the review.. I'll give it a try with polk audio.. and let you know how they perform together with RTi A3..  :D

Offline JojoD818

• Trade Count: (+147)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Bring it on!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 57
« Reply #1156 on: Feb 08, 2011 at 09:01 PM »

Thanks for the input Sir Jojo.. by the way the sensitivity of the RTi A3 is 89db, 20w-150w recommended power amplifier. do you think they will match with the t-amp?. TIA

I'm sure the t-amp can drive that sir.

Based on my experience, most t-amp destruction was due to use of too low sensitivity speakers. Bring your speakers for auditioning sir, should be the best way to be sure.

Offline plapoy

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #1157 on: Feb 08, 2011 at 10:20 PM »

I'm sure the t-amp can drive that sir.

Based on my experience, most t-amp destruction was due to use of too low sensitivity speakers. Bring your speakers for auditioning sir, should be the best way to be sure.

Ok po salamat sir..  :D

Offline juanch

• Trade Count: (+31)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • What is your profession?
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 44
« Reply #1158 on: Feb 18, 2011 at 08:13 PM »
Tanong lang sa mga owners of budget Dayton T-amp and fully upgraded T-amp being sold by Capital1.
Almost the same price kasi sila eh.

Which one is better suited to drive A-audio Genesis?
How far can I bring the volume? 12 o'clock ba? or can I bring it up further?

thanks

Offline plapoy

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #1159 on: Feb 18, 2011 at 09:02 PM »
Tanong lang sa mga owners of budget Dayton T-amp and fully upgraded T-amp being sold by Capital1.
Almost the same price kasi sila eh.

Which one is better suited to drive A-audio Genesis?
How far can I bring the volume? 12 o'clock ba? or can I bring it up further?

thanks

Sir juancho, ano po ba sensitivity nung A-audio genesis?.. by the way i'm using dayton t-amp.. as per sir otep of watthifi and sir ivan (kemozavi) na rin, the t-amp can drive 87+ sensitivity speaker.. i'm using it sa rti A3. so far, i can go up to  2 o'clock and so far wala naman naging problem..

Offline juanch

• Trade Count: (+31)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • What is your profession?
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 44
« Reply #1160 on: Feb 18, 2011 at 09:16 PM »
^ Ok thanks, the Genesis is 89db  :)

Any more inputs would be appreciated.

Offline IMm29

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #1161 on: Apr 01, 2011 at 06:05 AM »
Was able to audition the DTA1 with Wharfedale Diamond 9.1 (sensitivity 87db) and Paradigm Atom v5 (sensitivity 89db). Yes, the DTA1 can drive either one, even the less sensitive 9.1, and pretty loudly for a small room at that. This was with the NAD CD player connected and some tracks from their 24bit copy of Best Audiophile Voices 2. Not as loudly, but not too far off, were some audiophile tracks playing from a friend's ipod. Audio gain was not as high with the ipod, but the amp could play the music, too.

Small wonder that DTA1. Hehehe! Would've pulled the trigger and gotten one since it was relatively cheap, and could power good speakers, had I not heard the Atoms being driven with about 40w per channel, that is. But that's another story, hehe!

Offline cia

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #1162 on: Apr 01, 2011 at 07:52 AM »
I have the Sonic T amp which I believe has around 5wpc.  Given its low power rating, I tried using it with speakers rated at 82db, 15 ohms.  At a volume of 11:00, sound was quite sufficient from my sitting position of about 13 feet from the speakers.  Additionally, the sound quality was more than I expected from such an inexpensive integrated amp with very low power.

Offline kemozavi

• Trade Count: (+118)
  • DVD Addict
  • www.soundsolutionsph.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #1163 on: Apr 02, 2011 at 08:41 AM »
Was able to audition the DTA1 with Wharfedale Diamond 9.1 (sensitivity 87db) and Paradigm Atom v5 (sensitivity 89db). Yes, the DTA1 can drive either one, even the less sensitive 9.1, and pretty loudly for a small room at that. This was with the NAD CD player connected and some tracks from their 24bit copy of Best Audiophile Voices 2. Not as loudly, but not too far off, were some audiophile tracks playing from a friend's ipod. Audio gain was not as high with the ipod, but the amp could play the music, too.

Small wonder that DTA1. Hehehe! Would've pulled the trigger and gotten one since it was relatively cheap, and could power good speakers, had I not heard the Atoms being driven with about 40w per channel, that is. But that's another story, hehe!

bro imagine that the dta-100a has an even smaller footprint. ;)

Offline kemozavi

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #1164 on: Apr 02, 2011 at 08:43 AM »
I have the Sonic T amp which I believe has around 5wpc.  Given its low power rating, I tried using it with speakers rated at 82db, 15 ohms.  At a volume of 11:00, sound was quite sufficient from my sitting position of about 13 feet from the speakers.  Additionally, the sound quality was more than I expected from such an inexpensive integrated amp with very low power.

recently found out that the original sonic impact and the dayton dta-1 are coming out off the same factory, the dayton just has a different board layout plus a couple of upgraded parts... but man those original sonic impacts are like collectors items already... its the amp that started it all... :)

Offline IMm29

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #1165 on: Apr 04, 2011 at 09:07 AM »
bro imagine that the dta-100a has an even smaller footprint. ;)
Thanks for enticing me more, sir. Hehehe!  :D

Offline Stagea

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hype Fidelity
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 606
« Reply #1166 on: May 29, 2011 at 05:18 AM »
I'm just upping the thread, because there are so many T-Amp inquiries.

To those interested in building inexpensive power amps:
http://connexelectronic.com/product_info.php/cPath/39_47/products_id/119?osCsid=lcvjjkla46vrdh27k08a4sgcp7

403w x 2 / 1340W x 1 for $242 and a very tiny footprint (for the output capacity). :)

http://www.connexelectronic.com/documents/TA3020v4.pdf
« Last Edit: May 29, 2011 at 05:24 AM by Stagea »

Offline Conan

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #1167 on: May 29, 2011 at 07:57 AM »
I'm just upping the thread, because there are so many T-Amp inquiries.

To those interested in building inexpensive power amps:
http://connexelectronic.com/product_info.php/cPath/39_47/products_id/119?osCsid=lcvjjkla46vrdh27k08a4sgcp7

403w x 2 / 1340W x 1 for $242 and a very tiny footprint (for the output capacity). :)

http://www.connexelectronic.com/documents/TA3020v4.pdf

Wow, monster power from a T-Amp!
Polk Audio Reserve R200
Cambridge CXA60

Offline ATJr.

• Trade Count: (+45)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Leach Amp fan!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1168 on: May 29, 2011 at 10:43 AM »
^not only T-amps, but other amps as well that uses either a torroid or an EI transformer...
That's OK, you can like or dislike anything you choose. That's the wonderful thing about the freedom

Offline kemozavi

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #1169 on: May 29, 2011 at 09:11 PM »
now thats impressive 1000+watts @ 4ohms bridged mode,  :o  at that price point you can get two and play them on dual mono. 8)

wonder how they sound though... sa mga nag "momobile audio" this should be a pretty good alternative, small footprint, monster power, and monster savings on electricity.

I should probably request for a sample from the suppliers. :D