Author Topic: What is timbre matching?  (Read 1193 times)

Offline scofield

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • Hi boss!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
What is timbre matching?
« on: Nov 10, 2005 at 10:44 AM »
what is timbre matching? how can i tell if two speakers are timbermatced?

does it have to do with the tweeters or drivers? what is a driver anyway? it seems like i dont know what ia am saying.... ???
Proud user of AVR135

Offline marty_e

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
Re: What is timbre matching?
« Reply #1 on: Nov 10, 2005 at 11:32 AM »
It's a legit question. Timbre matching is not an issue with a stereo (2 pcs) pair of speakers. Usually manufacturers will sell a pair of speaker with matched enclosures and drivers, crossover, internal wiring etc. Thus, it is likely to be timbre matched already. What you must be referring to is a multi channel setup.

Timbre matching is a process of having similar sonic characteristics between the fronts, rears and center(s). There are cases when even speakers of the same brand are not timbre matched for a 5.1 channel setup. The simplistic explanation is if the front speakers are inherently "dark" or "bright" sounding, try to at least approximate that character with the center. Personally, I don't think its as critical with the surround speakers though.

Even as my 5.1 channel speaker system was sold as a matched system, my center still has timbre adjustments in case I decide to change my fronts. As you turn the knob, the sound coming out goes from a rather dark muffled quality at one extreme to a hyper detailed shouty bright nature at the other extreme.

I hope that answers your query...

Offline scofield

• Collector
  • Hi boss!
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: Nov 10, 2005 at 11:55 AM »
sir marty_e,

you said "even speakers of the same brand are not timbre matched.." so approximation lang pala... ibig mong sabihin kung meron akong MMD na center speakers pwede ko pala syang i-matched sa "kevlar" na fronts as long as they are approximately delivering the same character?

And ano ba yung tinatawag na "dark" and 'bright"

thanks
jaytee
« Last Edit: Nov 10, 2005 at 11:56 AM by jaytee15 »
Proud user of AVR135

Offline arthurallanj

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • DVD Guru
  • Good Begets Good
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: Nov 10, 2005 at 12:59 PM »
To make it easier, timbre matched speakers generally mean they sound alike. It could get too technical for comfort, but most would advise getting speakers from the same series, like say, Wharfedale Diamond 8 series, DTX 9.5 series, Monitor Audio Gold series, etc. These were designed by manufacturers' to sound the same. The most common method to achieve that is by using the same drivers. Meaning the same tweeters, the same mids, the same woofers. Also utilizing similarly designed cabinets help. But more commonly, same branded speakers have similar characteristics if not the same. This is to play it safe. Some use some specialized tools to tell if speakers have similar timbres, but this is not necessary. Untrained ears may find it hard to discern if speakers are matched or not. So approximation may be an unreliable method.

Oh and ahh, "bright" means sounding more accentuated on the highs and "dark" emphasizes the lows(frequency). Hope I helped.  ;)
Making the most of what I've got

Offline marty_e

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: Nov 10, 2005 at 03:31 PM »
sir marty_e,

you said "even speakers of the same brand are not timbre matched.." so approximation lang pala... ibig mong sabihin kung meron akong MMD na center speakers pwede ko pala syang i-matched sa "kevlar" na fronts as long as they are approximately delivering the same character?

And ano ba yung tinatawag na "dark" and 'bright"

thanks
jaytee

I've experienced a 5.1 set up na all Dynaudio pero Contour 1.8 yung fronts, Audience yung Center channel. I felt it was not timbre mathced after doing test tones on all channels. The Audience was a tad brighter. Granted though that this is more the exception than the rule.

To simplify matters even further, if you cannot hear the difference then it is Timbre matched to you already. But, as your ears grow more critical, someday you just might hear the diff... Tama si arthurallanj, play the odds and just get at least the same brand fronts and center. Yung importante naman talaga yung tatlo na yun.

Offline whipsaw

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: Jan 16, 2006 at 12:00 PM »
I used to have dm602 series 3 speakers and i tested them with the lcr60 center speakers since that was the most timber matched. Understandably so, since they were engineered to be played alongide one another i believe.

When I tried the 3 series center with it, it suddenly sounded less open.

Then I tried the cm series center, and woah, it sounded nicer than the lcr60. It was not timber matched anymore since it seemed to sound a tad better and clearer than my dm602s but since I was after the best sounding dialogue, I opted for the cm series. At no point during the movie did I have to labor to understand the dialogue.

I have since believed that I will not hesitate to have a higher model center speaker than my fronts and be happier for it.

I guess I would not mind if a regular airplane sounds a little more like a jet in the other speakers, for as long as it is not so big a difference for it to sound like another type of vehicle.  When that hapens, maybe it's time to get higher model fronts.

Offline av_phile1

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Cheers from a movie and music lover
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: Jan 16, 2006 at 05:13 PM »
Have you tried phantoming the center?  A lot of audio/videophiles just have 4.1 set-ups, with the center phantomed.  If there's only one or two of you watching a movie, phantoming can be best, no timbre matching to worry about.  Just a thought.

Offline whipsaw

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: Jan 17, 2006 at 11:18 AM »
aha... gotta try then.. thanks much...