Author Topic: Why Do You Collect DVDs?  (Read 25800 times)

Offline Dowals

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • DVD Guru
  • Cobra Commander
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Why Do You Collect DVDs?
« Reply #90 on: Aug 30, 2005 at 03:38 PM »
it's a stress reliever after a hard day's work

....haaayyy, dito pala napunta sweldo ko  :'( 
lowest paid in the banking industry

Offline keilu

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • DVD Addict
  • sōten ni zase Hyōrinmaru
  • Liked:
« Reply #91 on: Sep 10, 2005 at 10:17 AM »
simplest reason: coz i love movies  ;D besides, having additional features that explains the movies and the giftsets are really something to have and appreciate  8)

Offline cloudnine

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • Apprentice
  • collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #92 on: Sep 23, 2005 at 10:48 AM »
coz i love watching movies at home...

im just so into it.. lolz..

Offline MAtZTER

• Trade Count: (0)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • More POWER to your HT! literally ...
  • Liked:
« Reply #93 on: Sep 27, 2005 at 03:08 PM »
1.)No TV/cable reception at home, so:

2.) Wife support: I slowly got her hooked into watching DVDs with me. She gives me DVDs for bday & special occassions, kasi super obvious na yun lang gusto ko, when she looks deep into my eyes, this is what she sees :  ;D
Hehe, now she wants to watch more often than I do.

3.) Its more economical to buy a DVD and watch it in  the comfort of your home than to go to a movie, eat out, traffic, etc etc.

4.) DVD prices have gone down. I wait for SALE events

5.) DVD collections also compliment your HT setup and HT room .  Having a shelf of DVDs look cool
« Last Edit: Sep 27, 2005 at 04:53 PM by MAtZTER »

Offline dunforgiven

• DVD Addict
  • Before you see the light, you must die!!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #94 on: Sep 27, 2005 at 04:33 PM »
honestly, i really don't know  ;D  i've been pondering on that question for a long time already but i just can't stop buying those great titles

what's more surprising is.... i don't have a real HT setup! i just have a standard 21" TV which is connected to a simple player and amp which gives me a left, center and right fronts. no rears!

so why do i still buy DVDs? go figure  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Picture quality over plot

Offline Chivalry

• Collector
  • Chivalry is not dead!
  • Liked:
« Reply #95 on: Sep 27, 2005 at 05:01 PM »
because of the hunt!  because of the need to satisfy the craving!

in order to understand the sense of euphoria that comes with saving up, hunting, owning, handling, displaying, playing and replaying your collection of dvds, you have to go through the experience of owning just a few measly dvds and realizing that you really really want to own more!  in short: to comprehend a nectar, requires sorest need
To comprehend a nectar
Requires sorest need.

Offline Quitacet

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 65
« Reply #96 on: Sep 27, 2005 at 05:17 PM »
DVDs are for viewing aren't they? But have you experienced wanting to watch your DVDs but at the same time not wanting to watch them because you want them to stay as they were the moment you bought them, especially in the case of expensive, rare, etc. titles?

This hobby is full of ironies.

Offline av_phile1

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Cheers from a movie and music lover
  • Liked:
« Reply #97 on: Sep 27, 2005 at 05:20 PM »
There's some indication that Toshiba will release its HD-DVD players by first quarter of 2006 after postponing their promised year-end launch.

Sony's Blu-Ray is expected to follow suit starting with its Sony Playstation 3 early 2006.  Disney is said to release all its titles in Blu-Ray.  And I wouldn't be surprised if all their OOP titles won't be released anymore in the DVD format.  (No wonder disney titles are on 299 and 250 sale here, inuubos na lang nila.  ;D)

Most blockbusters released in 2005 are expected to be released in HD-DVD like Batman Begins.  Braveheart, LOTR and Harry Potter series likewise.

What does this mean for DVD collectors?  Very soon (maybe in 2-3 years) DVDs will be retailed at 99 US cents each.   ;D  A real bonanza for DVD collectors.  Happy DVD collecting!!!  ;D
« Last Edit: Sep 27, 2005 at 05:21 PM by av_phile1 »

Offline MAtZTER

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #98 on: Sep 27, 2005 at 05:28 PM »
There's some indication that Toshiba will release its HD-DVD players by first quarter of 2006 after postponing their promised year-end launch.

Sony's Blu-Ray is expected to follow suit starting with its Sony Playstation 3 early 2006.  Disney is said to release all its titles in Blu-Ray.  And I wouldn't be surprised if all their OOP titles won't be released anymore in the DVD format.  (No wonder disney titles are on 299 and 250 sale here, inuubos na lang nila.  ;D)

Most blockbusters released in 2005 are expected to be released in HD-DVD like Batman Begins.  Braveheart, LOTR and Harry Potter series likewise.

What does this mean for DVD collectors?  Very soon (maybe in 2-3 years) DVDs will be retailed at 99 US cents each.   ;D  A real bonanza for DVD collectors.  Happy DVD collecting!!!  ;D

Sir, since both formats still arent backing down to have one standard format, it also might become a possibility that the consumers will get confused and stick to DVDs. Just like what happened to DVDa and SACD.

I could not imagine that I have to buy a Blu ray player to play disney titles and a HD-DVD player to play other movies.

Oh well, it remains to be seen.  :)

Offline av_phile1

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Cheers from a movie and music lover
  • Liked:
« Reply #99 on: Sep 27, 2005 at 06:16 PM »
Sir, since both formats still arent backing down to have one standard format, it also might become a possibility that the consumers will get confused and stick to DVDs. Just like what happened to DVDa and SACD.

I could not imagine that I have to buy a Blu ray player to play disney titles and a HD-DVD player to play other movies.

Oh well, it remains to be seen.  :)

True it all remains to be seen.  So much speculation in various forums on the net.

But in the case of SACD and DVD-A, serious audiophiles do have dedicated SACD and DVD-A players, apart from their CD players and DVD-players, though all formats can be played in one universal player.  Obviously, the industry is not in a hurry to settle which audio format will replace CDs, as the market seems to develop niches for these varying formats.

There are opinions that say video might take the same path, developing niches for high defenition while maintaining DVDs for the general consumer who just wants to watch a movie in the privacy of his home.  So serious videophiles could have a HD-DVD player and  Blu-Ray player for the high def titles that went either way and still maintain a regular DVD player (though HD-DVD is downward compatible.)  And there's already talk about a universal video player that can play DVD, HD-DVD and BR.   

Others opine that it would be a repeat of the Beta-VHS wars with one clear winner at the end determined by three factors, the consumer, the manufacturer and  movie studios. 

Bottomline is,  there's a good chance DVD prices will fall steeply to the benefit of DVD collectors or video collectors in general.  It won't happen if HD-DVD or Blu-Ray develop niches.  But if one dominates with enough titles to bring the prices to the level of the general consumers, you can expect DVD prices to really fall.  I don't expect DVD to become extinct, as it's a solidly defined format that, in the presence of High Def formats,  can fill the low end market,  eventually replacing VCDs in third world countries. 

I just hope that happens sooner than later. 

Offline MAtZTER

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #100 on: Sep 28, 2005 at 10:34 AM »
There are opinions that say video might take the same path, developing niches for high defenition while maintaining DVDs for the general consumer who just wants to watch a movie in the privacy of his home.  So serious videophiles could have a HD-DVD player and  Blu-Ray player for the high def titles that went either way and still maintain a regular DVD player (though HD-DVD is downward compatible.)  And there's already talk about a universal video player that can play DVD, HD-DVD and BR.   

Others opine that it would be a repeat of the Beta-VHS wars with one clear winner at the end determined by three factors, the consumer, the manufacturer and  movie studios. 

Bottomline is,  there's a good chance DVD prices will fall steeply to the benefit of DVD collectors or video collectors in general.  It won't happen if HD-DVD or Blu-Ray develop niches.  But if one dominates with enough titles to bring the prices to the level of the general consumers, you can expect DVD prices to really fall.  I don't expect DVD to become extinct, as it's a solidly defined format that, in the presence of High Def formats,  can fill the low end market,  eventually replacing VCDs in third world countries. 

I just hope that happens sooner than later. 

Wow, I would love that to happen. Its also one of the reasons why I still collect DVDs despite the news of HD & Bluray. I believe it will take time for HD & Blu ray to be affordable to the masses (me included  ;D).

I even have a lot of disney titles that I have been buying lately for future viewing of my 9 month old son  :)
« Last Edit: Sep 28, 2005 at 10:35 AM by MAtZTER »

Offline Movie_Geek_Tom

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • Collector
  • "Heres looking at you,kid."
  • Liked:
« Reply #101 on: Apr 18, 2006 at 11:18 PM »
Because I study at a film school.
Its my art,passion and hobby.
I love watching movies.
Panasonic TC-P50ST50 Plasma 3D
McIntosh MC-2102 Amp
Snell THX 9.4 Speaker Setup

Offline caycski

• Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #102 on: Apr 19, 2006 at 08:58 PM »
I only collect those DVD movies worth collecting. It's a hobby at first then I realize it's already quite a small fortune hehehehe. I love movies so is my wife that's why we collect DVD movies we both wanted to watch over and over again in our small HT. Cheers!!!

Offline d4nu65+3R

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • "i'm real when it's useful."
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7
« Reply #103 on: Apr 19, 2006 at 09:15 PM »
i love movies. 

Offline uebetan12

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #104 on: Apr 20, 2006 at 04:40 AM »
i love movies too and

i like to watch movies which can be viewed again and again, that is why i only collect movies that are worth collecting and not because of its free gadgets and other cool stuff.

i also like them to be viewed by friends and relatives when they visit the house
« Last Edit: Apr 20, 2006 at 04:41 AM by [email protected] »

Offline aldrinpsx

• DVD Guru
  • Region 1 fanatic!!!!!!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #105 on: Apr 20, 2006 at 05:44 AM »
i love movies too and

i like to watch movies which can be viewed again and again, that is why i only collect movies that are worth collecting and not because of its free gadgets and other cool stuff.

i also like them to be viewed by friends and relatives when they visit the house

Me too.. im a show off person. ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D..post!!! post!!! post!!!!

peace!!!!

Offline macx

• Collector
  • Hakuna Matata!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #106 on: May 01, 2006 at 02:45 PM »
Same here, I love movies, I love watching them at home conveniently, I just love it that whenever friends and relatives come over, they seem to be impressed, or baka inis lang, hehe, by the collection.

Offline talisman30

• Trade Count: (+25)
  • DVD Guru
  • Experience Results
  • Liked:
« Reply #107 on: May 09, 2006 at 06:28 PM »
simply because i love movies!

im impressed with movie making, how they have created such ideas and exhausted their minds to produce such masterpiece and art! and to be able to appreciate such art and filmaking, DVDs basically carries and possess quality picture and sound that i am looking for, as well as commentaries, documentaries, and other special features that it provides.

;)
subscribe us at our pre-launch: www.streakdeals.com.ph
like us on facebook: streakdeals.com.ph

Offline techdude

• Trade Count: (+24)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Spinning...
  • Liked:
« Reply #108 on: May 10, 2006 at 03:43 AM »
Movies are entertaining to say the least.  And good movies can shape our ideals, morals, and behavior.  But that's the reasoning you gave to your spouse or mother on why you spend so much on DVDs.

The truth is, well, we all have a hidden passion for collecting.  Be it stamps, coins, video games, cars, and heaven forbid - girls.  :D  Well, for me, it just happens to be movies.  I like to have a stack of good movies for times when I am depressed (feel-good movies), when I am feeling spiritual (religion-themed movies), or I just want to be entertained.  And also a stack of movies, that I could watch with my kids for those family-bonding times...
Blessed are the clean of heart: for they shall see God.

Offline munky

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • DVD Addict
  • who's who?
  • Liked:
« Reply #109 on: May 10, 2006 at 12:27 PM »
mahal na ang sine ngayon.  :)

sa dvd, you can watch it over and over and over  ;D
Still world peace

Offline cel-shaded

• Collector
  • Forum Visitor
  • Liked:
« Reply #110 on: May 29, 2006 at 08:39 AM »
If I wanted to watch a movie, usually a comedy movie, I usually buy the VCD version, because it's much cheaper. But if I really like the movie, if it stars my favorite actors/actresses such as Jackie Chan, Zhang Ziyi, Jeon Ji-Hyun, etc, I'll definitely get the DVD version.

Plus if I see a good movie priced cheap (P375, P299), I buy it immediately.

In short, I want to be entertained. ;D

Offline virginboy

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #111 on: Sep 14, 2009 at 11:32 PM »
It keeps me off alcohol, smoking and other vices that are a complete waste of money.... yes, this may be a vice but a healthy, tangible one. xx
That's all.

Offline ditoy_eagle

• Trade Count: (+156)
  • DVD Addict
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #112 on: Sep 14, 2009 at 11:39 PM »
1) Just like a book, it's wonderful to feel the case, see the artwork, read special inserts.
2) Get all the extra features to learn more about the movie
3) so my kids can watch it someday
4) good display
5) to support the industry vs piracy

The main reason just like everybody who posted, we all love movies.
Thanks to the PMPC for the award - Digital Movie Sound Engineer of the year in the 28th Star Awards!

Offline orlydpogi

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Collector
  • I'm turning into a dvd addict!
  • Liked:
« Reply #113 on: Sep 15, 2009 at 04:30 PM »
My reasons are these:
1. I love watching a particular movie again and again especially when I really like it.
2. It feels different when you collect original copies. It's like eating in a high end restaurant versus eating in a carinderia (high end restos is to orig dvds; carinderia is to pirated dvds)
3. When I grow old, my collections will be my library of movies where I can spend time to enjoy and to watch it and share with friends.
4. Seing my collection makes me feel HAPPY. If some thing makes you feel happy, then go for it! right!
5. Dream ko rin kasing maging Hollywood Action Star (hehehe)

Offline volrathj

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #114 on: Oct 04, 2009 at 11:51 AM »
I collect DVDs because I love to look at them and also I love to watching movies it takes my stress away. And when a buy a new dvd I love to watch it with my whole family.

Offline king_lek12

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #115 on: Oct 05, 2009 at 02:17 AM »
tamad ako pumunta ng sinehan at hinihintay ko na lang ang dvd release para mapanood ko kahit ilang beses ko gusto.. deleted scenes / how a certain scene is done / the making / bloopers etc. etc., these are the perks na gustong gusto ko sa dvd.. also, the prices now of dvd are really cheap.. i'm not so much into piracy.. and i just looooooove collecting stuff.. when i look at my collections, it may look physically expensive but i know years and years from now.. this'll all be priceless.. they are my wealth..

Offline dpogs

• Trade Count: (+95)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • love and discipline
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 483
« Reply #116 on: Nov 01, 2009 at 06:59 AM »
nagsimula ako sa mga talahib na dvds... but after my wife gave me an original dvd copy of 'Amistad' as an anniversary gift... nagdesisyon kami na why not collect all best movies, at ang definition namin ng best movies ay ang award winning best picture movies ng oscars.... since last September 8 this year... we managed to buy and collect at least 36 out of 81 possible oscar's best picture movies and 86 dvd titles....

i love movies... at feeling ko  kapag nakakbili ako ng mga dvd lalo na kapag nabili ko siya ng brand new - satisfaction....

im still new on this kind of hobby... before i dont even know na may nageexist na R1, R3 etc...
There is none righteous, no not one.

Offline Dan

• Trade Count: (+133)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 219
« Reply #117 on: Nov 02, 2009 at 04:03 PM »
I collect movies. Because I like watching them. It just so happened that they are on the DVD format. If I had a Blu-Ray player I'd be collecting those movies on that format. What this means is I don't really care about the format as long as the movie is good and presented in the best way possible.

Offline pao625™

• Trade Count: (+27)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • break it down!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 95
« Reply #118 on: Nov 02, 2009 at 05:08 PM »
its a good vice and I love movies! :D :D :D

Offline dvd_watcher

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Collector
  • goodmorning goodafternoon gudevening and goodnight
  • Liked:
« Reply #119 on: Nov 04, 2009 at 12:58 AM »
why not? simple answer, i love movies, watch them at your comfort, to enjoy and relax. it's awesome and cool, especially if you have a home theatre you're good to go. 8)
« Last Edit: Nov 04, 2009 at 01:01 AM by dvd_watcher »
Upgraded to 42inch Sony Bravia Full HD 1080p Internet TV KDL-42W674A from 32inch bravia v series KLV