Author Topic: I wanna rock the house!  (Read 4256 times)

Offline Happy Dads Vinyl Shop

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Collector
  • vinyls are forever
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
I wanna rock the house!
« on: Dec 27, 2005 at 10:24 AM »
I recently saw a Behringer self-powered 300 watt speaker. Its on sale and being sold at on P16K each. It has a 12-inch woofer!
My house is just 60 sqm downstairs and I really want to play loud music!

Do you think this would suffice my need for clear unrestrained new wave music?

Or this is too much for my house that it wont belt out its best due to space constraints?

my neighbors would probably sign a petition me out for this..hehe.

thanks!

Offline ricky

• Trade Count: (+68)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Duh?
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 544
Re: I wanna rock the house!
« Reply #1 on: Dec 27, 2005 at 10:59 AM »
Pare if you want to really rock your world with nice sounding music better try JBL-velodyne combo ;D

Offline av_phile1

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Cheers from a movie and music lover
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: Dec 27, 2005 at 11:13 AM »
Is your 60sqm area enclosed in CONCRETE walls, ceiling and floor?  If so you'd need more than 300watts RMS per channel to rock it.  And also, you'd need a seperate dedicated MERALCo power line to adequately supply at least 2KVA of needed power for a 500watt RMS stereo power amplifier (similar to a dedicated aircon outlet).   You wouldn't want your household lights to be flickering with the bass notes at loud volumes.  Also, try getting the top of the line 1812 signature Velodyne Subwoofer, it packs 2500Watts RMS of earth rumbling bass.  You'd definitely need a dedicated MERALCO power line with a separate  20A-30A fuse box for this subwoofer.  ;D 

• Collector
  • vinyls are forever
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: Dec 27, 2005 at 04:01 PM »
Ricky,

yeah would want to get a JBL if pocket permits. :) Sadly the cheapest they have is the KHM-10..which is about 24k

AV_Phile,

Yes it's concrete all over, except for the ceiling which is wood. Hehe. Sounds expensive pala. Any chance you heard any studio monitor speakers? Are they any good? tnx.

Offline hattori_hanzo

• Trade Count: (0)
  • DVD Guru
  • LOUD and CLEAR! Mabuhay ang mga PCCian na bagets!
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: Dec 28, 2005 at 09:36 AM »
Ricky,

yeah would want to get a JBL if pocket permits. :) Sadly the cheapest they have is the KHM-10..which is about 24k

AV_Phile,

Yes it's concrete all over, except for the ceiling which is wood. Hehe. Sounds expensive pala. Any chance you heard any studio monitor speakers? Are they any good? tnx.

Bro, if you like professional audio, then try the Cerwinvega!'s intense, 2 units of INT-252 Dual 15" 2.5-way Full Range Speaker and 2 units of AB-36B bass bins then power it with 2 units of QSC CX-2 CX1102V pro amps., Im definitely (2X) sure with 108db, these bad ass gears will not only rock your house, but will be the epicenter of earthquake in your vicinity and according to sir av_phile1 get a separate power supply for these audio equipment.

But if you just want a typical home audio gears, go for the Cerwinvega!s V-15F floor stander, it gives of 102db at 400Watts or CLSC-215 Dual 15” 3-Way Tower with 97db (1w/1m) at 500W and the CV! CLSC-15S 15" Front-Firing Powered Subwoofer then matched it with HK AVR7500, with +/- 75 amps you wont miss a thing...

By the way Cerwinvega!s are by order, so you cant find them easily, you can order it at JB music store...   

« Last Edit: Dec 28, 2005 at 09:44 AM by hanns1976 »
PCCian... kumbento boys!

Pipho (pinoy photography) member

Kevlar

« Reply #5 on: Dec 28, 2005 at 06:31 PM »
Ricky,

AV_Phile,

I always think people who can afford to spare a 60 sq. m space for a dedicated
home theater/audio system in their house are almost always millionnaires
(or multi-millionnaires/billionnaires).  ;D  I assume you are one.  In that case,
I highly recommend that you get any of the following 'affordable', 'reasonably-priced',
studio monitors: (I say 'reasonably priced' and 'affordable' because some speakers
like the Wilson MAXX2, Dynaudio Evidence, and Sonus Faber Stradivari
can cost 2 to 4 times as much as those I listed below.)

1. B&W 801 - B&W's top of the line Nautilus speakers with aluminum dome tweeters.
    I have auditioned this speaker and I think it should have enough power to fill your
    listening area.  The ultimate in 'openness' and 'airiness'.  Price is around 600++k/pair.
    I think there is already a newer 801D version with diamond dome tweeters.  It's
    higher priced being a newer model, but from the reviews I read, it is a vastly improved
    speaker over the older 801 model.

2. Revel Salon - Also auditioned this pair.  Somehow I like the treble sound of the Salons
   better than the B&W 801's.  I don't know how they compare though with the newer
   B&W 801D's with diamond dome tweeters.  My B&W dealer still does not carry the newer
   B&W 801D.  Price of the Revel Salons is about the same as the B&W 801's; 600++k/pair

You can also add a subwoofer as you will still need one for the .1 channel in movies.
For subwoofers, I suggest Velodynes.  Two Velodyne DD-18's for a stereo pair will do. 
It will be much more cost effective than the Velodyne DD-1812 Signatures.

- Kevlar

Disclaimer:
I am not a millionnaire.  I'm just an audiophile who listens to music all day long
while my tv sits around gathering dust.   ;D  That is, until my wife picks up the
tv remote and watches her favorite soap opera.  ;D

Offline hattori_hanzo

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: Dec 28, 2005 at 08:24 PM »
Sir. if your in a 6 digits budget, go for the professional audio and let the whole "barangay" hear the roars and rolling thunder of your audio gears... not only for durability but the 1xx db's, men this will be one great rock and roll gig...  ;)
PCCian... kumbento boys!

Offline av_phile1

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Cheers from a movie and music lover
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: Dec 29, 2005 at 11:59 AM »
I agree with Hanns, if your objective is to rock the house as well as the surrounding vicinity, nothing beats professional audio systems, concert-grade or disco-grade systems.  Just don't listen to them at low volumes as they're crossover distortions will make you climb walls.  ;D  After all, concert grade systems are meant to be played loud.  And I mean 120db++ loud at one meter.   ;D\

But realistically speaking, I would think those top of the line Yamaha and Denon receivers can rock your 60 sqm decently.  I mean before reaching clipping distortions.  Half a million budget will get you to many places in this direction.  To get 500 watt RMS per channel, you'd most likely need a B&W Nautilus.  But that would cost P3.2M per pair. For speakers, I'd recommend you go the DIY route.  There are excellent high powered Cerwin Vegas, JBLs and Dai-1chi speakers that when assembled with fostex crossovers, can beat the hell out of any commericial speakers in terms of power handling.  You may not even need an 1812 Velodyne sub.  Afterall, I don't recall a rock/pop concert with subs scattered around.  But get yourself seated 2 meters from a 16" JBL speaker, and there's a good chance your hearbeat will stop.   ;D
« Last Edit: Jan 03, 2006 at 09:46 AM by av_phile1 »

Offline JojoD818

• Trade Count: (+147)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Bring it on!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 57
« Reply #8 on: Dec 29, 2005 at 12:09 PM »
This may sound utterly ridiculous but I've tried a pair of Cerwin Vega LR-36 powered by a Mackie power amp intended for a fixed setup project.

When I tried it at my brother's garage, it was literally rocking the house! Ohlala!

Have fun,

JojoD

• Collector
  • vinyls are forever
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: Dec 29, 2005 at 03:07 PM »
this has gone too far! hehe
by no means have I ever seen myself as a millionayr..see I cant even spell it right. I just have 60 to spare since I'm living alone in this three roomed house which I rent cheap. The 60 i was referring to is my living room and dining room downstairs combined (meaning I dont have a lot of furniture to move) Sorry if the perception was incorrect. The thread should have been labeled "cheap way to rock the house". hehe.

The speakers you have mentioned were way way to far away from my budget. And yes I am looking at some JBL professional stuff at Audiophile which are within my 30k speaker budget ceiling. hehe. Wish me luck! and here's to more rockin! :)

mabuhay!

Offline hattori_hanzo

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: Dec 29, 2005 at 03:28 PM »
WOW!!! original CERWIN VEGA! LR-36 is a portable earthquake. I heard and seen one set up 8 unit LR-36 matched with 8 unit community SLS 920 and powered by a crown power amp. kahit nasa kabilang street ka pa loud and thundering pa rin.

About the pumping bass, I tried playing a high volume Wfolded horn bass bins while sitting infront of it. Yung sinabi ni sir av_phile about your heart beat stopping, I felt of havin a short breath at nahihilo. silly of me nag experiment lang ako hehehe! never tried it again though...      
PCCian... kumbento boys!

• Collector
  • vinyls are forever
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: Jan 01, 2006 at 02:28 PM »
Ok. I've kinda solved my thirst of worry free bass. I bought a new AudioKING professional speakers at Watt Hifi. Theyre good for outdoor and indoor use and has 150W of power 3 way system pa. I tested it last night and it didnt disappoint me. I tried community and peavey speakers pero almost all their designs are long-thro. so I will never appreciate its potential unless i move my sounds out the door. hehe.

The audioKINGS look like karaoke speakers pero they sound good both in and out the house. Plus they have the clearest mids I got from other pro speakers at my budget. PLus I dont need to use a power amp to make it sing. My whimsy Luxman 80watter did the trick but the indicator bulbs flicker when pushed to party level sounds.

all in all am quite happy with it..now I have to buy another MK2 turntable and a numark mixer..then off I go to mixing kingdon..hehe

Offline ricky

• Trade Count: (+68)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Duh?
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 544
« Reply #12 on: Jan 01, 2006 at 08:37 PM »
Congratulations bro  ;D in the end its really up to you talaga on what will make you happy and satisfied. Another cheap way to rock the house is to sponsor a gulaman party  ;D ;D ;D happy new year.

• Collector
  • vinyls are forever
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: Jan 02, 2006 at 10:29 AM »
ricky,

i sponsor the house. you take care of the Gulamans..hehe

happy new year din sir. :)

Offline JojoD818

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Bring it on!
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: Jan 02, 2006 at 12:04 PM »
tryaudio,

congrats on your bass driver/bin! i was once told that rockin' the haus is good for anti-termite infestation because these insects don't like loud, shaky environments.  ;D ;D ;D

keep rockin' the haus dude!

JojoD

Offline X-®an™

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • DVD Guru
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: Jan 02, 2006 at 12:32 PM »
tryaudio,

congrats on your bass driver/bin! i was once told that rockin' the haus is good for anti-termite infestation because these insects don't like loud, shaky environments.  ;D ;D ;D

JojoD

Is this true?  Additional info will be greatly appreciated...

• Collector
  • vinyls are forever
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: Jan 02, 2006 at 01:54 PM »
tryaudio,

JojoD

will do bro! thanks! I hope the termites like my music...hehe

Offline JojoD818

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Bring it on!
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: Jan 02, 2006 at 10:42 PM »

Is this true?  Additional info will be greatly appreciated...

Saw it a long time ago in Discovery Channel.  :) The idea is termites use saliva and other excretions to build their nests, vibrating surfaces makes them use more than they usually do. A door slab that's vibrating is an unlikely target for being great architects of the earth, frequent vibration is a sign of instability for termites. At least that's what I remember.  :)

Offline Superman

• Trade Count: (+138)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Master Showman Presents...
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 366
« Reply #18 on: Jan 03, 2006 at 08:00 AM »
aron, congrats! new hobby huh!...i'm sure you;re playing house, rave music to invite YOUR GIRLS! :)
Fyne|EAR|Hana|Technics|SAEC|Wiim|Western Electric|Audiolab|Acrolink|Oyaide|Oppo|Tellurium

Offline brandon

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: Jan 03, 2006 at 11:43 AM »
Saw it a long time ago in Discovery Channel.  :) The idea is termites use saliva and other excretions to build their nests, vibrating surfaces makes them use more than they usually do. A door slab that's vibrating is an unlikely target for being great architects of the earth, frequent vibration is a sign of instability for termites. At least that's what I remember.  :)

"Along with engineer Joseph Lai of the Australian Defence Force Academy in Canberra
and his colleagues, Evans found that when termites chewed their way through a
20-millimetre-long wood block, the sound of their bites created a vibration of 7.2 kilohertz.
Termites in a similar block that was 160 millimetres long generated a slower vibration
at 2.8 kilohertz, which would match a high F note from a xylophone."

"Given the choice, the termites showed a clear preference for the smaller block.
They were even more attracted than normal to the 20-millimetre block when its usual
7.2-kilohertz sound was boosted in volume. In this case, the insects burrowed
four times more into the shorter block than the longer, clearly preferring
the sounds of a small block of wood
."

Taken from: http://www.nature.com/news/2005/050221/pf/050221-4_pf.html

-------------
Somehow, termites will eat the smaller wood pieces in your house 4 times more
if you play lots of 'loud' music...  ;D

« Last Edit: Jan 03, 2006 at 11:56 AM by brandon »

Offline JojoD818

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Bring it on!
  • Liked:
« Reply #20 on: Jan 03, 2006 at 11:49 AM »
yikes, dapat puro rock and bass rich music to avoid 2.8KHz and up!  ;D ;D ;D

does it say anything regarding lower frequencies?

so far my basic formula is Solignum and a rich dose of New Wave music.  ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline brandon

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: Jan 03, 2006 at 12:15 PM »
does it say anything regarding lower frequencies?

It didn't say anything regarding the lower frequencies.
However, I think the termites are still going to eat more because
the vibration from bass heavy music makes them better
able to distinguish the wood sizes.  ;D
« Last Edit: Jan 03, 2006 at 12:17 PM by brandon »

• Collector
  • vinyls are forever
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: Jan 03, 2006 at 01:10 PM »
FS: House 3 bedroom 2 TB location Malate area.

- comes with basshead termites  ;D

• Collector
  • vinyls are forever
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: Jan 03, 2006 at 01:11 PM »
aron, congrats! new hobby huh!...i'm sure you;re playing house, rave music to invite YOUR GIRLS! :)

new year, new vice! :)

Offline JojoD818

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Bring it on!
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: Jan 03, 2006 at 07:40 PM »
It didn't say anything regarding the lower frequencies.
However, I think the termites are still going to eat more because
the vibration from bass heavy music makes them better
able to distinguish the wood sizes.  ;D

so far no infestation detected, even with haus rockin' music all year long.  ;D

FS: House 3 bedroom 2 TB location Malate area.

- comes with basshead termites ;D

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline qguy

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Usher/Rythmik/S
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 66
« Reply #25 on: Jan 05, 2006 at 01:23 PM »
hey tryaudio.. once nagsawa ka sa AudioKing loudspeakers mo,let me know I might have something that can rock your house... KEF Reference Series 105.2   ways with 12 inch woofer per channel

• Collector
  • vinyls are forever
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: Jan 05, 2006 at 05:58 PM »
Qguy,

ok ba KEF sa bugbugan sir? baka tumilapon yung woofer nya when I do some mixes? Kaya I veered away from audiophile grade speakers kasi my mission780's went bonkers after some mean tracks..hehe!

ngayun maski 12 oclock na yung amp..happy parin kami ng mga basshead termites ko..no worries..tho not that pleasant as the audiophile speakers...eh sounding pleasant is not my purpose muna...loud music muna ako sir. :) Pero I still keep a mission HT set-up. Ok na muna ako dito..for now..siguro mga two months..hehe

:)

Offline qguy

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Usher/Rythmik/S
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 66
« Reply #27 on: Jan 06, 2006 at 11:00 AM »
not sure what you  mean by bugbugan...pero i can feel the bass outside  my house...hehehe