Author Topic: Pioneer Receivers  (Read 283032 times)

Offline 2fast2furious

• Trade Count: (+100)
  • DVD Guru
  • Vrooom!!!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 78
Re:Pioneer Receivers
« Reply #30 on: Nov 28, 2003 at 09:37 AM »
From my experience, Pioneer looses its bass when we crank up the volume more than its 10o'clock position. Actually, it is written in their manual.  Previous AMPS/RCVR used were A-702R and VSX-D933S.  

Offline losi_phile

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #31 on: Nov 28, 2003 at 01:06 PM »
Pioneer VSX-D509S has been my AVR for more than a year now and I would say I enjoy using it both in HT and Stereo listening mode.  I'm using Wharfedale Diamond 8.3 as fronts, 8.1 as surrounds and 8C for center.  I haven't experience loss of bass even at -20db volume.  Maybe the problem with other Pioneer AVR users is speaker matching.  The Diamonds, in my opinion, is a good match for Pioneer.  In addition, I don't use my subwoofer when listening in stereo mode, the 8.3 bass is good enough for me.

If anyone is planning to buy a budget Pioneer AVR, I saw one unit (VSX-D511S) at Save On Surplus (SOS) shop selling at Php11,990, 110volts complete with box, manual and remote.  Contact number is 656-6666.

Offline audi0slave

• DVD Addict
  • enjoy the music
  • Liked:
« Reply #32 on: Nov 28, 2003 at 01:28 PM »
I agree with you, losi_phile. With Diamond 8.2s on my Pioneer A-405, the bass control is fixed at 12 o'clock position and turning it more to the clock wise rotation would pump out more bass for which the 8.2s have difficulties in handling. Since the wharfe is kind of a little weak on the treble, I set my treble to its full stop at 5 o'clock position. So, I don't agree that Pioneer amps are weak on low frequency reproduction. They may not match well with the likes of Denons and HKs but for their overall performance - they're reasonably acceptable.  ;)

Offline 2fast2furious

• Trade Count: (+100)
  • DVD Guru
  • Vrooom!!!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 78
« Reply #33 on: Nov 28, 2003 at 03:42 PM »
Its not that they are weak in low frequency reproduction.  Am just telling you that it looses its pump in bass when it reaches more than its 10 o'clock position.  I know for sure bec. its written in their manual. Remember, I use to own integrated amp A-702R model.  Sorry, forgot to mention that I uses JBL speakers like the CF-120 which has 96db and TLX-70 90db.

Offline losi_phile

• Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #34 on: Nov 28, 2003 at 04:49 PM »
Hi Audioslave,

My bass adjustment setting is dead 0db and my treble adjustment setting is +1db.  And I'm using CAT5 Ven Haus recipe speaker cables (27 pairs).  Maybe the speaker cables helps in the bass area, just my opinion.

losi_phile

Offline [r0n1n]

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 12
Pioneer VSX C501 Receiver
« Reply #35 on: Feb 07, 2004 at 01:33 PM »
guys i saw this new receiver from Pioneer model VSX C501. 6.1 na siya at very very slim but i cannot seem to find the complete specs. would anyone care to post the specs. thanks!  ;D
Paradigm Studio 10 | Anthem MRX310 | Power Sound Audio XS30 | Mirage Prestige

Offline jerix

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • got no golden ears...just loving music
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 70
« Reply #36 on: Feb 09, 2004 at 08:23 AM »
Guys,

may nakita ako na Pioneer VSX-D812-S sa isang appliance center sa basement ng mega mall A.
I'm sure this is the successor to VSX-D811-S.

Napansin ko meron na siya MCACC. Just like HK's EZ Set. Priced at 22k+.

i got the vsxd811s for 21K+ 2 yrs ago and if the vsx 812 is 22K + then it is already a very good buy. the only difference is that, the 812 has the MANUAL MCACC.

GEE- if u want to add another set of speakers for your surround, be sure that the combined impedance of your speakers will not be more than 16ohms nor lower than 8ohms.

if u will use 2 8ohms speakers for your surrounds, just connect the two on SERIES so u have 18 ohms, if you just connect  the speakers on parallel, u will get 4ohms load... and ur receiver cant take this. it will overload--  ;)
Samsung65MU6303/TCL4kPS49TV/OnkSR608/OnkTXNR676/Marantz/Akai/Sansui/PrjEssential-II

Offline toshiba

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
Re:Pioneer VSX C501 Receiver
« Reply #37 on: Feb 10, 2004 at 01:28 AM »
guys i saw this new receiver from Pioneer model VSX C501. 6.1 na siya at very very slim but i cannot seem to find the complete specs. would anyone care to post the specs. thanks!  ;D

http://www.servicecentertexel.nl/p295.html

Offline UB40

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #38 on: Feb 29, 2004 at 09:29 AM »

pards, where did you see this model? is it locally available?

Offline JT

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • GOD RULES!!!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 13
« Reply #39 on: Feb 29, 2004 at 11:38 AM »
Im also eyeing for this one and prefer this over yammy 440 dahil slim at mas match sya sa 655a at sa mission speakers.

Here's the main specs:

Main features
-6x100W RMS Power Output
-Easy and precise Acoustic Calibration with Automatic Multi-Channel Acoustic Calibration System Set-Up
-SACD/DVD-Audio standard original sound technology
-Built-in DTS ES Matrix 6.1,DTS ES Discrete 6.1 and Dolby Digital EX
-SR+ interface
-Virtual Surround Back for reproducing 6.1-ch sources

http://www.multimod.com/uk/shop/612-pioneer-vsx-c501-s-receiver.html

Offline Philander

• Trade Count: (+43)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #40 on: Feb 29, 2004 at 08:04 PM »
Can you post the back panel of this receiver.. it seems that you still need compatible connection to use the 5.1 analog input. I has 5.1 analog input through SCART. So basically you need converter (scart to RCA).. please confirm.

Offline av_phile1

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Cheers from a movie and music lover
  • Liked:
« Reply #41 on: Mar 02, 2004 at 12:40 PM »
Im also eyeing for this one and prefer this over yammy 440 dahil slim at mas match sya sa 655a at sa mission speakers.

Here's the main specs:

Main features
-6x100W RMS Power Output
-Easy and precise Acoustic Calibration with Automatic Multi-Channel Acoustic Calibration System Set-Up
-SACD/DVD-Audio standard original sound technology
-Built-in DTS ES Matrix 6.1,DTS ES Discrete 6.1 and Dolby Digital EX
-SR+ interface
-Virtual Surround Back for reproducing 6.1-ch sources

http://www.multimod.com/uk/shop/612-pioneer-vsx-c501-s-receiver.html

This amp's rating is using the JETA standard for measurement, is overated and is quite candid in stating it has a 10% THD at rated output.  I commend them for their honesty, but I would look elsewhere for a good 100 watt receiver.  This THD spec is defintely not audiophile-grade at that power level.  Based on its slim profile, i would hazard a guess that it can only spew out 40 watts RMS at 8 ohms 20Hz-20KHz at a decent audiophile-grade 0.5% THD.  But that's just me talking.

P.S.

But if this unit has 5.1 pre-outs which it doesn't (only subwoofer pre-out), with its decoding features, it would make a good preamp matched to a more powerful multichannel power amp.
« Last Edit: Mar 02, 2004 at 12:47 PM by av_phile1 »

Offline Narayan

• Trade Count: (+362)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • When we change. . . the world changes with us.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 121
« Reply #42 on: Mar 02, 2004 at 12:55 PM »
guys,

saw last week at the listening room mega the new pioneer VSX 912. it also features the automatic calibration system and is is the editors' choice for AVRs at cnet. finish is titanium-in keeping with the present trend. very nice looking receiver.
Cayin 265Ai
Jolida 300B SET
Marantz CD5001 OSE
CA CXC + PS Audio DAC
Meadowlark Kestrel 2/ERA D10

Offline audi0slave

• DVD Addict
  • enjoy the music
  • Liked:
« Reply #43 on: Mar 02, 2004 at 03:29 PM »
guys, anyone noticed the speaker terminals (not the spring type) of Pioneer receivers ? mukhang di kasya yung mga banana plugs no?

question lang to all Pioneer receiver owners out there.... ano ginagamit nyo as speaker connectors sa speaker terminals? bare wires lang?

::)

Offline FASTBACK

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #44 on: Mar 15, 2004 at 12:49 AM »
I own a Pioneer VSA-D6 AVR

I only use Bare wires connected to the Speaker terminals.

Offline arthurallanj

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • DVD Guru
  • Good Begets Good
  • Liked:
« Reply #45 on: Mar 15, 2004 at 11:47 AM »
Actually, I've been contemplating on buying a Pioneer VSX-D812, kaya lang what bothers me is the 10%THD at 8 Ohms na rating. I like it kasi it has all the features I like, 6ch amplification, MCACC, 7 ch pre outs, etc, kaya lang the power rating nga. This made me look into the Yamaha DSP-AZ2. I have the DSP-AX430, they rate their amps at 0.02% THD at 6 Ohms. The Power issue is the only thing that's holding me back from buying the Pioneer amp.
Making the most of what I've got

Offline losi_phile

• Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #46 on: Mar 15, 2004 at 03:04 PM »
I have Pioneer VSX-D509S AVR and I'm using banana plugs to connect my front l/r and center speakers.  Sa surround and speaker b, clip-on type lang kaya gumawa ng adaptor para maging banana plug din (di kasi kasya gauge 12 sa clip-on terminal)

Offline [r0n1n]

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 12
« Reply #47 on: Mar 17, 2004 at 03:10 PM »
pards, where did you see this model? is it locally available?

sir sorry for the late reply. i've seen this sa glorietta i think during the last bpi madness. hope you find one   ;D

toshiba/jt,
sir thanks for the specsand the link  ;D
« Last Edit: Mar 17, 2004 at 03:11 PM by r0n1n »
Paradigm Studio 10 | Anthem MRX310 | Power Sound Audio XS30 | Mirage Prestige

Offline Jason_10

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Collector
  • V6 24V
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
Re: Pioneer Receivers
« Reply #48 on: Feb 15, 2005 at 07:36 PM »
i just acquired a pioneer vsx-d510.  any reviews about this avr?
From chaos, comes clarity...

Offline aHobbit

• DVD Guru
  • Think HARDER - HOLLOW Heads! No FO0Ls Please!
  • Liked:
« Reply #49 on: Feb 16, 2005 at 11:09 AM »
i just acquired a pioneer vsx-d510.  any reviews about this avr?

The VSX-D509 I know is good paired to wharfs diamond - yours might be similar if you use wharfs. What's your speaker?
Anti PDVD Malware (STUP1Ds & F0OLs)

Offline Jason_10

• Collector
  • V6 24V
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #50 on: Feb 16, 2005 at 06:05 PM »
im using kenwood center and surround speakers. my main speakers are dai ichi ls-3, yung cube speakers. 

actually, ive 2 yammy floorstanders but they won't have a chance to fit in my cabinet so i need a good bookshelf.
« Last Edit: Feb 20, 2005 at 01:49 PM by jason_10 »
From chaos, comes clarity...

Offline taggart

• Collector
  • clean out that earwax for optimum sound exp!
  • Liked:
« Reply #51 on: Feb 16, 2005 at 11:01 PM »
guys, anyone noticed the speaker terminals (not the spring type) of Pioneer receivers ? mukhang di kasya yung mga banana plugs no?

question lang to all Pioneer receiver owners out there.... ano ginagamit nyo as speaker connectors sa speaker terminals? bare wires lang?

::)

sir audioslave...yup, on my 1995 receiver, banana plugs won't fit kaya bare wires talaga.  a bit of a hassle but it's ok.

Offline jerix

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #52 on: Jun 07, 2005 at 08:53 AM »
Actually, I've been contemplating on buying a Pioneer VSX-D812, kaya lang what bothers me is the 10%THD at 8 Ohms na rating. I like it kasi it has all the features I like, 6ch amplification, MCACC, 7 ch pre outs, etc, kaya lang the power rating nga. This made me look into the Yamaha DSP-AZ2. I have the DSP-AX430, they rate their amps at 0.02% THD at 6 Ohms. The Power issue is the only thing that's holding me back from buying the Pioneer amp.

Is this really 10% or 1%?
Samsung65MU6303/TCL4kPS49TV/OnkSR608/OnkTXNR676/Marantz/Akai/Sansui/PrjEssential-II

Offline jerix

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #53 on: Jun 07, 2005 at 09:10 AM »
Chanced upon this article in CNET Review:

"Full review
Pioneer's impressive, midpriced A/V receiver, dubbed the VSX-D811S, has pretty much everything that you need: the latest surround-processing technology, prodigious power reserves, plentiful connectivity options, and great sound.

Fully loaded
Pioneer positively stuffed the D811S with useful features and technology, but thanks to its nifty, flip-down front panel, the receiver's clean, unbroken lines bespeak a minimalist, high-end aesthetic. The flip-down door keeps most of the rarely used buttons, controls, and extensive front-panel-mounted A/V inputs out of sight. Surround-processing modes include Dolby Digital EX and DTS-ES Discrete to deliver six-channel sound for movies, along with Dolby Pro Logic II and DTS Neo:6 to synthesize natural-sounding surround from stereo sources such as CDs and radio. The D811S has six 100-watt-per-channel amplifiers.

The speaker outputs--which include hookups for a second room as well as a total of four surround speakers (two side and two rear) for the main room--use good-quality, binding-post connectors. The D811S also sports 7.1-channel input capability for Super Audio CD, DVD-Audio (DVD-A), and future multichannel formats; component-video switching, including two inputs and one output; and preamp outputs so that you can upgrade to a separate power amp. And Pioneer wasn't stingy with the digital-audio connections--we counted five inputs and one output. S-Video connections are also abundant. Only vinyl lovers' needs are unfulfilled by the D811S, as the receiver lacks a phono input.

The preprogrammed remote is fairly easy to use overall, and we appreciate the fact that Pioneer doesn't lump all Dolby/DTS surround and synthesized signal-processing modes together. That's cool because you can always get to standard Dolby/DTS with just one button click.

Since the D811S lacks an onscreen display, we expected to muddle our way through system setup. However, we found the procedure to be straightforward. Unusually, the D811S's subwoofer crossover can be adjusted to optimally blend with small, medium, or large satellites. Our review sample was finished in silver, but this Pioneer is also available in black.

Performance that you can feel
The best home-theater components deliver sound that truly adds a visceral kick to the experience of watching movies or listening to music. That's a tall order for a midpriced receiver, but the D811S--partnered with our Energy Take 5.2 satellites and Energy S8.2 subwoofer--was more than up to the job. We fully cranked up our favorite war flick, The Thin Red Line, but the D811S's power reserves were never close to being stressed. With 100 watts per channel on tap, we expected that kind of potency, but the receiver also had the ability to delve into the more subtle, ambient cues that populate the scene with John Travolta on the deck of a warship.

We trotted out a pile of DVD-A discs to fully exploit the D811S's highest fidelities, but it was Willie Nelson's smoky, all-instrumental Night and Day DVD that made us sit up and take notice. Nelson's tight, little band cooks up lush textures and full, rich harmonics from the jaunty fiddle, the piano, the bass, and the guitar. The surround mix is tasteful, and the sound quality is keenly balanced and natural.

Considering that the D811S costs just $475 (list) and has a street price as low as $299, this receiver is clearly one of the better deals out there. Its combination of features, performance, and value earn it an Editors' Choice award. "

Offline aHobbit

• DVD Guru
  • Think HARDER - HOLLOW Heads! No FO0Ls Please!
  • Liked:
« Reply #54 on: Jun 07, 2005 at 10:37 AM »
Chanced upon this article in CNET Review:

Considering that the D811S costs just $475 (list) and has a street price as low as $299, this receiver is clearly one of the better deals out there. Its combination of features, performance, and value earn it an Editors' Choice award. "

Pioneer, properly paired with a matching speaker (like wharf's Diamond 8) is a cheap combo that can outperform many more expensive hyped receivers and speakers!  ;)

As usual, the cost has nothing to do with sonic performance!  :P  Much more, the paper specs is even a poor indicator of its sonic excellence.  :P  :P  :P

I've opened a VSX-D509S - gosh, ampaw  ??? , very few parts - but the sound with wharf 8.3, have not heard similar sound with the more expensive competitor.
Anti PDVD Malware (STUP1Ds & F0OLs)

Offline elvenears

• Collector
  • dont drink and drive, if you can smoke and fly!!!
  • Liked:
pioneer vsx-815-k or s good buy ba!?!
« Reply #55 on: Jan 23, 2006 at 07:15 PM »
im buying one po sa mga meron at nakagamit na ok po ba to? ;D
from the antigravity defying force of an immortal jedi

Offline Bogsle

• DVD Addict
  • Bogs
  • Liked:
Re: pioneer vsx-815-k or s good buy ba!?!
« Reply #56 on: Jan 23, 2006 at 10:21 PM »
Pre, baka makatulong to:

http://www.audioholics.com/productreviews/avhardware/PioneerVSX-815ReceiverReview1.php

I've been through a couple of HT receivers already. Pag baguhan kasi, excited talaga.

Suggestion ko: wag ka mag madali. Most of the time we think of our budget for the HT setup. This is good and nothing is wrong with it.

In my experience however, mas mabuti na mag ipon pa ng konti to be able to get the best you can buy, rather than make compromises and settle with what your current budget can afford.

I'm happy with my HT setup now but I wish I had not spent so much with the "not so good" decisions made in the past.

Sana makatulong lang.
« Last Edit: Jan 23, 2006 at 10:32 PM by Bogsle »

Offline elvenears

• Collector
  • dont drink and drive, if you can smoke and fly!!!
  • Liked:
Re: pioneer vsx-815-k or s good buy ba!?!
« Reply #57 on: Jan 24, 2006 at 03:14 PM »
Pre, baka makatulong to:

http://www.audioholics.com/productreviews/avhardware/PioneerVSX-815ReceiverReview1.php

I've been through a couple of HT receivers already. Pag baguhan kasi, excited talaga.

Suggestion ko: wag ka mag madali. Most of the time we think of our budget for the HT setup. This is good and nothing is wrong with it.

In my experience however, mas mabuti na mag ipon pa ng konti to be able to get the best you can buy, rather than make compromises and settle with what your current budget can afford.

I'm happy with my HT setup now but I wish I had not spent so much with the "not so good" decisions made in the past.

Sana makatulong lang.

thanks sir pero nabasa ko na yang reviews nyan ang taas nga ng ratings nyan dyan eh ;D...yan din sinasabi ng daddy ko at mga tito ko....siguro tama kayo ...masyado kasi akong na bilib dun sa self calibrating pero pwede pa naman magbago ang isip ko...hehe....thanks sa suggestion .........
from the antigravity defying force of an immortal jedi

Offline barrister

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • cessante ratione legis, cessat ipsa lex
  • Liked:
« Reply #58 on: Jan 25, 2006 at 02:19 PM »
Gusto kong sumubok ng Pro Logic II / IIx, pero Pioneer pa rin ang hanap ko.  I'm presently using the old Pioneer 510, which has just the right sound I'm looking for. 

Personal preference lang naman, pero mas gusto ko ang brighter output ng Pioneer kasi ang mga more expensive brands na usually mas dim ang sound ay mas OK nga sa music, pero nagkakaproblema naman sa dialog intelligibility sa movies.  Mas priority ko kasi ang DVD Video.  Siyempre, depende sa DVD.  Pag natiyempo sa DVD na medyo muddy ang dialog, mas claro sa Pioneer, pero ngongo na sa higher end brands.

Please share your views on the new AV Receivers:

515, 815 & 915.

Is it true that Yamaha is brighter but has less bass than Pioneer?

« Last Edit: Jan 25, 2006 at 02:41 PM by barrister »

Offline BuLLeT

• Collector
  • No One Gets Left Behind, Rangers Lead the Way
  • Liked:
« Reply #59 on: Jan 25, 2006 at 07:09 PM »