Author Topic: Pioneer Receivers  (Read 283149 times)

Offline BuLLeT

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • No One Gets Left Behind, Rangers Lead the Way
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: pioneer vsx-815-k or s good buy ba!?!
« Reply #60 on: Jan 25, 2006 at 07:15 PM »
http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/article.asp?section_id=7&article_id=1156

Maybe this can also help. I almost bought a 915 but I decided to hold of my purchase for the time being.
 ;)
« Last Edit: Jan 25, 2006 at 07:16 PM by BuLLeT »

Offline barrister

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • cessante ratione legis, cessat ipsa lex
  • Liked:
Re: Pioneer Receivers
« Reply #61 on: Jan 25, 2006 at 08:13 PM »
Thanks, bosing. 

Nakita ko na ang 815 sa Ambassador Shang. Bibili na sana ako (P22,500), but the only thing holding me back is the front panel design.  Hindi ko kursunada ang design, at hindi maganda ang dalawang shiny knobs/dials.  Mukhang generic ang porma.

Mas maganda pa nga ang design ng lumang 514. Baka mas maganda ang design ng next series.  Hintay na lang ako.
« Last Edit: Jan 25, 2006 at 08:21 PM by barrister »

Offline elvenears

• Collector
  • dont drink and drive, if you can smoke and fly!!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #62 on: Jan 25, 2006 at 08:46 PM »
maybe this link will help as well......... http://www.audioholics.com/productreviews/avhardware/PioneerVSX-815ReceiverReview1.php.....imho maganda to kasi mura ,maganda ang gawa and if it can do half of what pioneer says it can do then i think its a good buy.....as far as the looks is concern tama si barrister! medyo pangit ang dating "old school" but if you think the silver does not look good wait till you see the black one ;D......personally gusto ko yung self-calibrating fuction nya...parang for the price it was iresistable talaga......i actually e-mailed my uncle already for him to buy me one but my wife got a hold of me ;D.....for an entry level i think this is a good buy....you might want to check on pioneerelectronics.com as well......i think i agree with the previous posts that this is a very potent combination if paired with wharfs diamond 9's....if i get over the WAF (wife approval factor)ill keep you guys posted pero siguro by march pa to ;D
from the antigravity defying force of an immortal jedi

Offline barrister

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #63 on: Jan 26, 2006 at 11:22 AM »
Thanks, bosing.  I got the article (after deleting the excess ".....imho" sa link). 

It's good that Pioneer receivers are getting positive reviews.  Kasi I prefer the sound of Pioneer kahit hindi siya popular sa pinoydvd members.  Madali pa sa parts and service.

I usually browse the Pioneer Singapore site http://www.pioneer.com.sg to check the latest models available in our region. 

Pero sa totoo lang, mas maganda pa ang porma ng Pioneer 510 ko (year 2002) sa mga latest receivers nila.  Dati, palaging mas maganda ang front panel ng Pioneer sa mga Yamaha.  Ngayon, mas maganda na ang Yamaha.  I'm sure the x15 series will be to my liking performance-wise, but it's just the ugliest AV receiver Pioneer has designed to date. 

Offline Jason_10

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Collector
  • V6 24V
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #64 on: Jan 26, 2006 at 11:35 AM »
i like the front design of the new pioneer avr's. it looks sophisticated.
« Last Edit: Jan 26, 2006 at 11:39 AM by jason_10 »
From chaos, comes clarity...

Offline av_phile1

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Cheers from a movie and music lover
  • Liked:
« Reply #65 on: Jan 26, 2006 at 12:29 PM »
Thanks, bosing. 

Nakita ko na ang 815 sa Ambassador Shang. Bibili na sana ako (P22,500), but the only thing holding me back is the front panel design.  Hindi ko kursunada ang design, at hindi maganda ang dalawang shiny knobs/dials.  Mukhang generic ang porma.

Mas maganda pa nga ang design ng lumang 514. Baka mas maganda ang design ng next series.  Hintay na lang ako.

More than a year ago, I almost bought the VSX-D811S which had excellent state-of-the-art preamp features and a pre-out terminal that can replace/upgrade my old Rotel preamp/decorders.  The series for me had the handsomest looking receivers in the market at that time.   What halted me in my tracks were their non-standard panel width which will not match the 17+" standard width of my other components.  Very skin-deep lang yung criteria ko for deciding.  ;D

Offline jerix

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • got no golden ears...just loving music
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 70
« Reply #66 on: Jan 27, 2006 at 08:40 AM »
With all the features of that pioneer vsx 811s-s, and with its price if 22k 3 years ago i was tempted -- so, thats my receiver now.  ;D
Samsung65MU6303/TCL4kPS49TV/OnkSR608/OnkTXNR676/Marantz/Akai/Sansui/PrjEssential-II

Offline jerix

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
Re:Pioneer Receivers
« Reply #67 on: Jan 27, 2006 at 09:17 AM »
the bass signal of the pioneer vsxd811s-s appears unrefined as compared to the denons, onkyos or the yammies. When i ordered the sub from NIRVBLAKR, pinili talaga nila yong ampli that would match perfectly with it.

this wAS the observation made by NIRVBLAKR 3 years ago -- however I discovered later that this was due to an error in the settings made. When the custom made sub was tested, all speakers were set into LARGE, thats why the low freq signal was send to all speakers and none to the sub, though the sub was ON - this was the reason why the sub didnt seem to function well. We failed to see that the receiver's SUB adjustment has another option if all speakers are set into LARGE. Dapat pala naka SUBWOOFER PLUS. After correcting the setting, masyado nang malakas ang bass so I had to set the sub in its minimum level   
Samsung65MU6303/TCL4kPS49TV/OnkSR608/OnkTXNR676/Marantz/Akai/Sansui/PrjEssential-II

Offline barrister

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #68 on: Jan 27, 2006 at 01:45 PM »
More than a year ago, I almost bought the VSX-D811S which had excellent state-of-the-art preamp features and a pre-out terminal that can replace/upgrade my old Rotel preamp/decorders.  The series for me had the handsomest looking receivers in the market at that time.   What halted me in my tracks were their non-standard panel width which will not match the 17+" standard width of my other components.  Very skin-deep lang yung criteria ko for deciding.  ;D

Bosing, hindi mo magugustuhan ang Pioneer AV receiver sa music.  Manipis ang tunog.  May Pioneer integrated amp ako, great for music (personal preference lang, ha); malayong malayo sa payat na tunog ng Pioneer AV receiver sa music.
« Last Edit: Jan 27, 2006 at 01:46 PM by barrister »

Offline av_phile1

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Cheers from a movie and music lover
  • Liked:
« Reply #69 on: Jan 27, 2006 at 03:48 PM »
Bosing, hindi mo magugustuhan ang Pioneer AV receiver sa music.  Manipis ang tunog.  May Pioneer integrated amp ako, great for music (personal preference lang, ha); malayong malayo sa payat na tunog ng Pioneer AV receiver sa music.

You're not alone in that observation.  Many auido/video enthrusiasts  have observed that most entry to mid level HT receivers are really meant to operate with a SUBWOOFER.  Their power amps fall below their expectations.  Understandably so as most HT receiver makers would not mind not following strict FTC standards in power rating and full bandwidth power disclosure.  Pioneer is not alone there.  OTH, many of the older stereo receivers and integrateds, Pioneer included,  have better full bandwidth power handling to give them more body even without a subwoofer. 

In my case, it was the PREAMP section of that model that interested me.  Many video/audio enthusiasts in multicannel sounds realizing the state-of-the-art preamp/decoder features in many mid to flagship HT receivers, opt to use ONLY their preamp section that are mated, via their preout terminals, to more competent power amp separates like NADs, HKs, Rotels, Aragons, Brystons, Parasound, etc., names that are well known among audiophile circles for their splendid amplifer make.    It's so much more cost-effective than getting separate multichannel preamps that are often only available from Krell, Sunfire, Rotel, etc, that,  while superior in many regards,  can cost as much as if not more than a flagship HT receiver. 

« Last Edit: Jan 27, 2006 at 04:00 PM by av_phile1 »

Offline barrister

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #70 on: Jan 27, 2006 at 11:59 PM »
Amazing!  May napulot na naman akong bago kay av_phile1.

I've read a lot of your posts, bosing.  You may not know it, but I'm actually a big fan of yours.

Offline classicman

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #71 on: Jan 30, 2006 at 06:12 PM »
had quiet a long experience w/ pioneer 510 a/v receiver from 2001 up to early last year when i sold it to a friend who is not a pdvd member.  i was very satisfied w/ its performance on HT & never experienced any problem at all.  i only discovered na medyo manipis sya sa bass after i upgraded to a yammy 450 & had the occassion to compare them using the same set of speakers including an active subs.

on the other hand, i still have my pioneer stereo receiver that am using for my purely audio dedicated set-up being paired w/ my pioneer cdp, w/c i both acquired since 1995 pa.  and i agree w/ the following observation of sir av_phile1 that it has a better full bandwidth power even w/o a subs as compared to my 510 receiver or even my yammy 450.

OTH, many of the older stereo receivers and integrateds, Pioneer included,  have better full bandwidth power handling to give them more body even without a subwoofer. 

Offline barrister

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #72 on: Jan 30, 2006 at 07:15 PM »
had quiet a long experience w/ pioneer 510 a/v receiver from 2001 up to early last year when i sold it to a friend who is not a pdvd member.  i was very satisfied w/ its performance on HT & never experienced any problem at all.  i only discovered na medyo manipis sya sa bass after i upgraded to a yammy 450 & had the occassion to compare them using the same set of speakers including an active subs.

Bosing, akala ko mas mahina daw ang bass ng Yamaha, pero based on your post, hindi pala totoo ang balita ko.  Because of your input, I'm now seriously considering Yamaha's 657. 

Problema ko na lang kung OK ang service sa Yamaha.  Hassle-free service kasi ang importante sa akin kaya mahilig ako sa Pioneer and other mass-market brands. 

Please share your views. I'm very interested because I'm presently using Pioneer 510.
« Last Edit: Jan 30, 2006 at 07:20 PM by barrister »

Offline blackmtx

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #73 on: Jan 30, 2006 at 07:48 PM »
I'm also using Pioneer VSX-509S, I  bought it last 2001 and still using it, talagang manipis ang tunog kaya I used it only for satellite speakers like Eosone. VSX-509S uses hybrid IC's unlike other highend AVRs uses discrete components for high current  output amplification.

Offline aHobbit

• DVD Guru
  • Think HARDER - HOLLOW Heads! No FO0Ls Please!
  • Liked:
« Reply #74 on: Jan 31, 2006 at 12:04 PM »
I will share my experience and findings as I have shared it in previous thread regarding the subject.

My brother has VSX-509 (for 10k). I have yamaha 630 (for 19k). we both use 8.3. we exhange materials. Our notes shows my yamaha sounds thinner than his pioneer. His pioneer sounds full - not bass-shy.

I shied away from Pioneer due to my experience with VSX-3800 which I think is bass-shy.

So what's going on? After so many experiments on various type of speakers - full range, contemporary, DIY, vintage, etc - and diff amps, sansui, technics, yamaha, pioneer, vintage, mono blocks - my other brother tried to find out our issues.

The pioneer of my brother sounds good because of his placement. His house has the ceiling following the roof - unlike mine, just flat throughout. His listening area has a place to have the 8.3 placed 3 ft from the corners without being  a hassle for the rest of the family members, unlike mine, can only do it at most 3ft on a side but 2 ft at the back. Further discovered that my listening area is a bass hole in the middle - I have the best bass just at the entrance of the door to my listening area.

Part of the experiment is with the VSX-3800 I gave t my father since I do not want its sonics (probably because of the speakers - or its placement) - just because I espoused some unfounded basis - like that of IC versus discreet - like the LM3886 vs discreet , etc etc. We modify a speaker system to have a 10" full range (coral) with reinforcement on the HF. I have another brother who helped us correlate experiments. After this setup, I am convinced that VSX-3800 is not bass shy, and in fact I am trying to recover the amp and find a suitable speaker for it. We enjoy its lively sound - from bottom end to high frequency.

My yamaha is not bass shy, as some would have it stated just like that - a simple statement as if is is just the amp.

Bottomline - the choice of your speaker and the matching to the amp and then the room placement (room modes) greatly affect the total sound of your system.

Pioneer is bass shy to what speakers and room placement? and so Yamaha is bass shy on the same ground - and the rest of amplifiers/speakers for that matter, unless your amp has integrated tone alterations on the preamp section to make it bass heavy.

I still have the 630 which is bass shy for 8.3 at the location I choose before - so I change my speaker, change my listening position. My brother still enjoys the 509 with 8.3 in full range (large speaker) - will not give it up.

Now, we just threw some of our unfounded notions about this amp is that and that amp is that. So many variables in the art of listening - so we realized.
« Last Edit: Jan 31, 2006 at 12:23 PM by aHobbit »
Anti PDVD Malware (STUP1Ds & F0OLs)

Offline blackmtx

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #75 on: Jan 31, 2006 at 12:46 PM »
yes, pioneer vsx-509 is good, kaya di ko pa pinapalitan.... ;D

Offline jerix

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #76 on: Jan 31, 2006 at 01:36 PM »
Does it not depend also on the model of the amp?

My point here is that, a certain model may have been manufactured in a particular assembly plant and so with the other models raising the possibility that some components used may not be the same as the other models, thus the varying quality of audio output.  ::)

Offline aHobbit

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #77 on: Jan 31, 2006 at 04:48 PM »
Does it not depend also on the model of the amp?

My point here is that, a certain model may have been manufactured in a particular assembly plant and so with the other models raising the possibility that some components used may not be the same as the other models, thus the varying quality of audio output.  ::)

There is no easy simple answer to your question - it might or it might not.

Again, I subscribed to Mr. Kardon when he said cost has nothing to do with the performance of an amp - cost is not an indicator.

Cost can indicate the material used and the amount of design that went into it, but performance is entirely a different subject matter to cover.

As this is the art of listening, and with so many variables affecting the sound at a given place (the speaker, its placement, the software, the player, room modes, acoustic treatment, etc etc), a person serious in listening have to pay attention on 'listening' more than anything.

Offline classicman

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #78 on: Feb 03, 2006 at 10:37 PM »
Bosing, akala ko mas mahina daw ang bass ng Yamaha, pero based on your post, hindi pala totoo ang balita ko.  Because of your input, I'm now seriously considering Yamaha's 657. 

Problema ko na lang kung OK ang service sa Yamaha.  Hassle-free service kasi ang importante sa akin kaya mahilig ako sa Pioneer and other mass-market brands. 

Please share your views. I'm very interested because I'm presently using Pioneer 510.

sir barrister, sorry ngayon ko lang ito nabasa.......i had a 2-week overlapping period wherein i already bought my first yammy 450 while the sold pioneer 510 was still in the house coz di pa kinukuha ng buyer-friend ko, so i had more than enough time to compare them using the same set of speakers (including an active subs), same dvd player, same DVD discs, same interconnects/cable wires & same ROOM ;D

mas maganda talaga di hamak ang yammy on all departments including bass, but i should emphasize that the comparison was only in the HT usage......kaya nga when we needed to get another receiver for another set-up, we got another yammy HTR-5860 :D......it was a no-brainer for me & i didn't even check the latest pioneer models although i was a long time user of 1 of its models ;)

but it's just me......sabi nga ng mga magagaling dito, i-audition mo nalang parehas & hayaan mong tenga mo ang magpasya 8)
« Last Edit: Feb 03, 2006 at 10:38 PM by classicman »

Offline barrister

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #79 on: Feb 03, 2006 at 11:12 PM »
Thanks for the very useful insights, sir classicman.  I really needed to hear your views kasi wala akong opportunity to have a side-by-side comparison.

I plan to get Yammy 657 with Wharfe Diamond 9.5.  Hindi na masama ang presyo.

Nakarinig ako, courtesy of Audio Excellance's (Spectra group) very accommodating Nino, ng Yammy 650 paired with Diamond 9.5.  The sound was very much to my liking...  authoritative, clean bass with natural, rounded mids.   Intelligible naman ang dialogue. 

Thanks again for taking the time to help me decide.

--------------------------------------

How about service?

I'm a long time Pioneer user.  Ang masasabi ko sa Pioneer, walang problema sa parts and service. 

Ano ang balita sa Yamaha repairs?  OK ba ang service nila?
« Last Edit: Feb 03, 2006 at 11:16 PM by barrister »

Offline classicman

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #80 on: Feb 07, 2006 at 05:29 PM »

How about service?

I'm a long time Pioneer user.  Ang masasabi ko sa Pioneer, walang problema sa parts and service. 

Ano ang balita sa Yamaha repairs?  OK ba ang service nila?

am sorry sir barrister but i can't comment on the after sales service of the yammy coz sa awa ng diyos di pa naman nasisira ang 2 yammies ko, maingat kasi tayo eh, hehehe ;D

Offline barrister

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #81 on: Feb 07, 2006 at 07:45 PM »
Hehehe!!!   ;D ;D ;D

Yan ang pinakamagandang puwedeng mangyari -- walang nasisira!!!
« Last Edit: Feb 07, 2006 at 07:46 PM by barrister »

Offline losi_phile

• Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #82 on: Feb 20, 2006 at 09:28 AM »

Learning pa remote control ;D ;D

Offline joey

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #83 on: Apr 21, 2006 at 10:15 AM »
just finish cleaning my vsx-d510 reciever and found out na yung decoder for dts/dd eh yamaha chipset pala... ???

Offline levi

• Konsehal
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Sevilla and Sons Sausages
  • Liked:
« Reply #84 on: Nov 03, 2006 at 07:59 PM »
bump

Offline losi_phile

• Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #85 on: Jan 18, 2007 at 01:52 PM »

How's you VSX-D509S now?

I discovered a few months back the "DIRECT" feature of the 509S and it sounded even better now on stereo listening both CDs and LPs.

Try it if you haven't tried it yet.

;D

Offline aHobbit

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #86 on: Jan 18, 2007 at 02:15 PM »
How's you VSX-D509S now?

I discovered a few months back the "DIRECT" feature of the 509S and it sounded even better now on stereo listening both CDs and LPs.

Try it if you haven't tried it yet.

;D

... tagal ko nang sinabi sa 'yo yan, recently mo lang sinubukan ... I tested the VSX 511 sa direct, super crystal ang dating ... yun nga lang, pag na engage mo na ang tone, malamya na ang dating! ... I admit, it is very good in stereo direct playback - especially with 8.3!

Offline blued888

• Trade Count: (+28)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #87 on: Nov 06, 2008 at 04:22 PM »
Are Pioneer receivers still being sold locally? Who are Pioneer dealers?

Offline flak-jacket

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #88 on: Nov 07, 2008 at 08:35 AM »
Are Pioneer receivers still being sold locally? Who are Pioneer dealers?

Sights & Sounds. send a PM to sir E-Reply.  :)

Offline blued888

• Trade Count: (+28)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #89 on: Nov 07, 2008 at 01:03 PM »
Sights & Sounds. send a PM to sir E-Reply.  :)

Just did so yesterday. Already got the price list.

We have a Pioneer Stereo Receiver from 10+ years back and it sounds fuller and richer than my current Yamaha kaya napatanong ako kung meron locally available. ;D