Author Topic: Pioneer Receivers  (Read 283107 times)

Offline Nelson de Leon

• Trade Count: (+141)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Let us lead by example
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 291
Re: Pioneer Receivers
« Reply #210 on: Nov 14, 2010 at 07:56 PM »
Mga sir inquire ko lang po.. mabilis ba talaga mag-init ang vsx-520? kasi yung sakint 1 mvie pa lang maiinit na po sya? another thing po does anyone knows where I can get an auxiliary fan na 220V? balak ko po sana patungan ng fan sa top yung reciever para po makabawas sa init. TIA po!

Alam ko, kung "maligamgam" ang init niya, normal lang. Check mo mga ventilation holes baka may nakaharang.

Offline jnazareta

• Trade Count: (+28)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 25
« Reply #211 on: Nov 15, 2010 at 12:16 AM »
Sir Nelson thanks for the reply po.. tama po kayo maligamgam po sya ganon po sya nung hinipo ko after watching a DVD po... bagong bili lang po yung reciever po and all the ventilation is fine. another thing po does anyone knows where I can get an auxiliary fan na 220V? balak ko po sana patungan ng fan sa top yung reciever para po makabawas sa init. TIA po!

Offline Stagea

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hype Fidelity
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 605
« Reply #212 on: Nov 15, 2010 at 01:18 AM »
Recent Pioneers suck cool air from underneath and release warm air from the top. This works through convection, and that means it's normal for the top to be warm (air only flows once the heatsinks had warmed the air inside).

If you want to cool this actively with minimal flow disruption, you can either slowly feed air from underneath, or suck air from the top.

220VAC fans are available at many places like Alexan, Deeco and sometimes even SOS. I personally haven't seen any need for it though, as long as you don't run speakers that are very difficult to drive.
« Last Edit: Nov 15, 2010 at 01:22 AM by Stagea »

Offline jnazareta

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #213 on: Nov 15, 2010 at 02:56 AM »
Thanks for the reply sir Stagea. I'm just not use to the warm feeling on the chasis of my new reciever that is why I'm planning place an auxiliary fan on top to it to suck out the hot air. Thanks for the heads out where to buy the fan. Some of my friends advise me that it is only available in RAON buti na lang meron sa mga friendly electronic shops. thanks again.

what are the compatible speakers for this reciever? what brand is the most compatible? I'll be using it 90% movie and 10% music. TIA!

Offline juanch

• Trade Count: (+31)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • What is your profession?
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 44
« Reply #214 on: Nov 15, 2010 at 05:57 AM »

Offline Stagea

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hype Fidelity
  • Liked:
« Reply #215 on: Nov 15, 2010 at 05:57 AM »
It should be able to drive most entry level speakers without a problem. Choose a set that suits your listening preference.

Look for speakers that introduce a benign load (consistently high impedance) with fairly low capacitance and high sensitivity, if you're dead set on keeping the temperatures low.

Check out the Polk TSi series, to see if they suit your taste (they're quite inexpensive and are easy to drive).

Offline jeyps11_c

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • DVD Addict
  • SARS!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #216 on: Nov 15, 2010 at 07:55 AM »
@Satgea - how about the Wharfe Diamond 9.1? Will the 520 have problems driving these speakers?
Home is where the Theater is!
Pio AVS520K
Wharf 9.1 and WH2 Center
A-Audio FS
US Audio Sub
WDTV

Offline Stagea

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hype Fidelity
  • Liked:
« Reply #217 on: Nov 15, 2010 at 11:09 AM »
@Satgea - how about the Wharfe Diamond 9.1? Will the 520 have problems driving these speakers?

Those aren't that hard to drive (they are entry level speaks afterall), but still demand quite a bit more current than Polks to get the same volume level. Have you tried them with the Pioneer? That pairing can have a tendency to sound a bit dark (of course you can compensate with tone controls).

What speakers do you have?

Offline jeyps11_c

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • DVD Addict
  • SARS!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #218 on: Nov 15, 2010 at 03:02 PM »
Those aren't that hard to drive (they are entry level speaks afterall), but still demand quite a bit more current than Polks to get the same volume level. Have you tried them with the Pioneer? That pairing can have a tendency to sound a bit dark (of course you can compensate with tone controls).

What speakers do you have?

That's my combo right now: Pioneer 520K, Wharfe 9.1, WH2 Center and Surrounds (although the surrounds are not yet hooked up). Our room is roughly 4x3. Also using an entry level 10" sub (USAudio).
Home is where the Theater is!
Pio AVS520K
Wharf 9.1 and WH2 Center
A-Audio FS
US Audio Sub
WDTV

Offline Stagea

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hype Fidelity
  • Liked:
« Reply #219 on: Nov 15, 2010 at 10:41 PM »
That's my combo right now: Pioneer 520K, Wharfe 9.1, WH2 Center and Surrounds (although the surrounds are not yet hooked up). Our room is roughly 4x3. Also using an entry level 10" sub (USAudio).

I see. Try playing with the tone controls to even out the sound (if you encounter response issues). Your receiver would not have issues driving those speakers in your room.

You can also raise your crossover freq to 100Hz (or higher), if you want to reduce the load on the receiver (the WH-2 surrounds are designed to cross high anyway). Just watch out for sub localization.
« Last Edit: Nov 15, 2010 at 10:42 PM by Stagea »

Offline Tonteng

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #220 on: Nov 18, 2010 at 04:02 PM »
I'm planning to buy a pioneer 520k. got a very small room and a mid entry level receiver should suffice..problem is..anong entry speakers ang pede ko bilin for the 520k (limited budget kasi). Any feedback or suggestions would be appreciated
one upgrade at a time

Offline Stagea

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hype Fidelity
  • Liked:
« Reply #221 on: Nov 18, 2010 at 09:57 PM »
I'm planning to buy a pioneer 520k. got a very small room and a mid entry level receiver should suffice..problem is..anong entry speakers ang pede ko bilin for the 520k (limited budget kasi). Any feedback or suggestions would be appreciated

How small po ang very small?

If 5.1 set ang balak mo, Mordaunt Short Premiere or Wharfedale Diamond 9 HCP are quite compact. If you need something even smaller, pwedeng Polk Audio RM705 or JBL SCS145.5. Make sure that you listen to the set, to see if it meets your expectations.

Of course, if you have the budget and space for full-sized speakers and a stronger sub, then by all means go for those. :)
« Last Edit: Nov 18, 2010 at 09:59 PM by Stagea »

Offline igogan

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #222 on: Nov 19, 2010 at 08:36 AM »
new here.. which is better pioneer vsx910 or onkyo 508?

Offline Tonteng

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #223 on: Nov 23, 2010 at 09:42 AM »
How small po ang very small?

If 5.1 set ang balak mo, Mordaunt Short Premiere or Wharfedale Diamond 9 HCP are quite compact. If you need something even smaller, pwedeng Polk Audio RM705 or JBL SCS145.5. Make sure that you listen to the set, to see if it meets your expectations.

Of course, if you have the budget and space for full-sized speakers and a stronger sub, then by all means go for those. :)

salamat sir..baka mag bookshelf speakers na lang ako ng mordaunt short. or hanap na lang ako ng package pioneer 5.1 speakers
one upgrade at a time

Offline jerix

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • got no golden ears...just loving music
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 70
« Reply #224 on: Nov 25, 2010 at 09:52 AM »
Besides SnS are there other A/V shops selling the VSX 920?
Samsung65MU6303/TCL4kPS49TV/OnkSR608/OnkTXNR676/Marantz/Akai/Sansui/PrjEssential-II

Offline Onkyo606

• Trade Count: (+44)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • It's SVS or Nothing
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #225 on: Nov 25, 2010 at 10:15 AM »
Besides SnS are there other A/V shops selling the VSX 920?

try listening room in megamall look for minnie or oliver pe

SVS PB13 Ultra and SB13 PLus

Offline jerix

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #226 on: Nov 25, 2010 at 10:24 AM »
try listening room in megamall look for minnie or oliver pe

ok bro tnx -- ill contact them

Sns is selling this at 27.5k i think. are there shops offering lower than this?
Samsung65MU6303/TCL4kPS49TV/OnkSR608/OnkTXNR676/Marantz/Akai/Sansui/PrjEssential-II

Offline ninjababez®

• Trade Count: (+77)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • I know what poverty is.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1040
« Reply #227 on: Nov 29, 2010 at 07:41 AM »
ok bro tnx -- ill contact them

Sns is selling this at 27.5k i think. are there shops offering lower than this?
try avshop, pero afaik mababa na ang 27.5k  :)
ninjababez online ..

Offline jerix

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #228 on: Nov 29, 2010 at 05:17 PM »
try avshop, pero afaik mababa na ang 27.5k  :)

AVshop i think does not carry pioneer receivers bro , thats why it is indorsing the HK -dun ko na audition yung HK 160.

Yeah I agree medyo mababa itong 27.5 ng SnS - SM is offering the vsx 920 for 29.999 though. walang tawad. Western pwede hanggang 28.  ;)

Offline jnazareta

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #229 on: Dec 04, 2010 at 08:29 PM »
Mga sir question lang po..I'm not sure kung dito po ba dapat i-post ito. I'm using the coax connection from source to receiver and watching pirates of the carribean and titanic. My reciever is only showing DD on the display and I cannot change it when I set my source to SPDIF/RAW. But when I set the source to SPDIF/PCM I can use the other dsp function on the reciever such as neo6: cinema, neo6 music and other features. My question is why po ganon pag naka raw lang yung source di po ba yung receiver ang mag dedecode nung audio? which means dapat po eh magagamit ko yung ibang feature like nung neo6. but the other way around happens pag SPDIF/PCM dun ko nagagamit yung ibang feautres pag SPDIF/RAW lock sya sa DD. any idea? Pasensya na po kayo sa newbie question ko and TIA!

Offline xeroichi

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #230 on: Dec 06, 2010 at 08:26 PM »
mga sir, question lang po.. meron kasi akong pioneer vsx-810s... pag pinower on ko siya, may lumalabas sa display na "poweroff", tapos mamatay na ulit? ano po ang problema pag ganito? ano ang cause?

Offline Stagea

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hype Fidelity
  • Liked:
« Reply #231 on: Dec 06, 2010 at 10:58 PM »
Mga sir question lang po..I'm not sure kung dito po ba dapat i-post ito. I'm using the coax connection from source to receiver and watching pirates of the carribean and titanic. My reciever is only showing DD on the display and I cannot change it when I set my source to SPDIF/RAW. But when I set the source to SPDIF/PCM I can use the other dsp function on the reciever such as neo6: cinema, neo6 music and other features. My question is why po ganon pag naka raw lang yung source di po ba yung receiver ang mag dedecode nung audio? which means dapat po eh magagamit ko yung ibang feature like nung neo6. but the other way around happens pag SPDIF/PCM dun ko nagagamit yung ibang feautres pag SPDIF/RAW lock sya sa DD. any idea? Pasensya na po kayo sa newbie question ko and TIA!

The other DSP functions are usually to create a surround sound field from 2 channel sources. When your source is set to SPDIF/PCM, it sends a 2 channel PCM signal over SPDIF (in your case, your coaxial connection)... allowing you to select different sound modes.

Setting it to SPDIF/RAW enables your source to stream the audio signal in raw form, leaving the receiver to do the decoding. If the receiver sees more than 2 channels of data upon decoding, it disables the 2ch-oriented sound modes.

That is how it should normally be. If you want to experience discrete multi-channel audio through SPDIF, let the receiver do the decoding.

Offline jnazareta

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #232 on: Dec 07, 2010 at 01:43 AM »
I see. Thanks po sir Stagea for the prompt reply and enlightenment.  ;D

Offline jerix

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #233 on: Dec 07, 2010 at 06:11 AM »
mga sir, question lang po.. meron kasi akong pioneer vsx-810s... pag pinower on ko siya, may lumalabas sa display na "poweroff", tapos mamatay na ulit? ano po ang problema pag ganito? ano ang cause?

I think 810 requires 8ohms speakers -- baka 6 ohms gamit mo kaya nag auto shutoff. Meron akong 811 and it does not like 6ohms speakers, auto shut off din siya. Anthony of AAudio put something in the speaker to make it 8 ohms so the problem was resolved. Check also your connection baka me nag-short na speaker wires.  ;)

Offline Stagea

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hype Fidelity
  • Liked:
« Reply #234 on: Dec 07, 2010 at 12:53 PM »

Try mo disconnect yung speaker wires tignan mo kung mangyayari pa din. If so, malamang may sira yung receiver.

If not, tignan mo kung may shorted sa mga kawad mo or baka may nakasaksak ka sa both speaker A at speaker B at the same time and nakaset to A+B yung receiver. Pwede rin may sira kang speaker, or talagang masyado lang mababa impedance ng speaks mo.

Offline jnazareta

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #235 on: Dec 07, 2010 at 09:07 PM »
Mga sir question po ano po ba ang difference front heights and surround back. kasi po sa pio 520 meron ito and I don't know the user and what pre-amp ang pwede? can I use my existing Konzert 502A amp po? TIA!
« Last Edit: Dec 07, 2010 at 09:08 PM by jnazareta »

Offline xeroichi

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #236 on: Dec 08, 2010 at 03:59 PM »
I think 810 requires 8ohms speakers -- baka 6 ohms gamit mo kaya nag auto shutoff. Meron akong 811 and it does not like 6ohms speakers, auto shut off din siya. Anthony of AAudio put something in the speaker to make it 8 ohms so the problem was resolved. Check also your connection baka me nag-short na speaker wires.  ;)
dai-ichi speakers ang gamit ko.. 4-8ohms ang rated impedance..
paano ba macheck kung 8ohms pa rin ang speaker? ano ang pwedeng gawin kung sakaling bumaba na nga ang impedance niya?been using the speakers kasi since 2003 pa..

Try mo disconnect yung speaker wires tignan mo kung mangyayari pa din. If so, malamang may sira yung receiver.

If not, tignan mo kung may shorted sa mga kawad mo or baka may nakasaksak ka sa both speaker A at speaker B at the same time and nakaset to A+B yung receiver. Pwede rin may sira kang speaker, or talagang masyado lang mababa impedance ng speaks mo.
nagawa ko na po yun bago ako magpost dito.. pero ganun pa rin po..
bago mangyari ito, nagpalit ako ng speaker wires.. pero nung tiningnan ko yung speaker wires ok naman..
nagpalit muna ako ng AV receiver, yung vsx-509s ang ginamit ko.. ok siya for more than a week tapos ayun, biglang nag "poweroff" na rin siya...

paano po ba macheck kung bumaba nga ang impedance ng speaker? may kalumaan na rin po kasi yung gamit ko na dai-ichi speakers.. although 4-8ohms ang rated impedance niya.. gamit ko siya since 2003 pa, dolby pro-logic pa lang ang receiver ko nun..

Offline markcrenz

• Trade Count: (+194)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 8
« Reply #237 on: Dec 09, 2010 at 07:03 AM »
^ disconnect all wires and run the amp. pag di nag-off, yung speakers mo may problem.
Sent from my Pentium 166MMX using PS/2 keyboard

Offline Stagea

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hype Fidelity
  • Liked:
« Reply #238 on: Dec 09, 2010 at 09:00 AM »
paano po ba macheck kung bumaba nga ang impedance ng speaker? may kalumaan na rin po kasi yung gamit ko na dai-ichi speakers.. although 4-8ohms ang rated impedance niya.. gamit ko siya since 2003 pa, dolby pro-logic pa lang ang receiver ko nun..

Well it's better if you have an impedance plot from the manufacturer (or measured by a third party). Without that, you can tell from the quoted impedance alone that it probably drops to 4 ohms (most likely 4 ohms minimum, 8 ohms nominal).

Offline xeroichi

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #239 on: Dec 09, 2010 at 11:52 AM »
i had my 509 & 810 checked by a technician...
sira yung malaking IC na nakakapit sa heatsink... isa ang sira sa 509 at isa rin ang sira sa 810..
luckily, parehas ng model ng IC yung isang sira sa 509 at yung buo sa 810 kaya pinaswap ko muna..
so my 509 is working fine again.. but before i put back the system, pina check ko muna kung normal pa rin ang impedance ng speakers ko.. normal naman daw..

saan kaya nakakabili ng replacement IC ng pioneer receiver?

salamat po ulit sa lahat ng nag reply.. 

^ disconnect all wires and run the amp. pag di nag-off, yung speakers mo may problem.
nagawa ko na po yun... pero nag-off pa rin..

Well it's better if you have an impedance plot from the manufacturer (or measured by a third party). Without that, you can tell from the quoted impedance alone that it probably drops to 4 ohms (most likely 4 ohms minimum, 8 ohms nominal).
i had my speakers check by a technician, sabi normal naman daw ang impedance..