Author Topic: Pioneer Receivers  (Read 283104 times)

Offline Tavus

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Pioneer Receivers
« Reply #360 on: Apr 13, 2011 at 10:38 PM »
Hi Guys.  Bought a VSX-1019AH, my first A/V receiver actually ... well at least in a very very long time.  I've a lot of questions but I'll put in some more study before I bother anyone with questions about the unit.

Anyone else have this same model?  Recommendations on how best to use it, or issues and problems, would be most welcome.

I hear xx19 series pioneers a little run hot but not as hot as onkyo's x07 series. I'm asking around owners if they suffer from heat problems.

So why did you buy the older 1019?

Offline Stagea

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hype Fidelity
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 605
« Reply #361 on: Apr 14, 2011 at 07:29 AM »
I hear xx19 series pioneers a little run hot but not as hot as onkyo's x07 series. I'm asking around owners if they suffer from heat problems.

I honestly don't think that they run hot at all. They're just warm to the touch, imho. :)

Offline Tavus

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #362 on: Apr 14, 2011 at 08:18 AM »
I honestly don't think that they run hot at all. They're just warm to the touch, imho. :)

yun. i shouldn't be so worried then? eh bili na ako 919 here i come.

Offline supermanster

• Trade Count: (+28)
  • Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 56
« Reply #363 on: Apr 15, 2011 at 07:02 AM »
Good day mga Master! Newbie here looking for my 1st AVR, saw one with a price tag of 10k. store display.

Model is Pioneer VSX-519K.

Any feedback on this model? Luma na po ba ito?

Mostly audio listening ang pagagamitan ko sa small room. siguro mga 80% music 20% movies.

Salamat mga Master.

For the speakers I plan to Get the AAduio sana, i heard a lot of very good feedbacks about it.

Offline Tavus

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #364 on: Apr 15, 2011 at 08:47 AM »
Good day mga Master! Newbie here looking for my 1st AVR, saw one with a price tag of 10k. store display.

Model is Pioneer VSX-519K.

Any feedback on this model? Luma na po ba ito?

Mostly audio listening ang pagagamitan ko sa small room. siguro mga 80% music 20% movies.

Salamat mga Master.

For the speakers I plan to Get the AAduio sana, i heard a lot of very good feedbacks about it.
IT's a very basic unit, don't expect bells and whistles from it.
You don't get the handy mcacc calibration, true HD,3d and has only 2 hdmi ports but at 10k its a steal. its a 3 year old model. baka sobrang gamit na...
Pa test nyo muna bago ka bumili.
If you can increase your budget to 13500 you can get a newer vsx-320 or vsx-420.

Offline Stagea

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hype Fidelity
  • Liked:
« Reply #365 on: Apr 15, 2011 at 09:48 AM »
yun. i shouldn't be so worried then? eh bili na ako 919 here i come.

For normal use, you don't have to worry about heat issues.

Offline Tavus

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #366 on: Apr 16, 2011 at 10:27 AM »
guys i cant find any pioneer 919's anymore at Sm appliance, SNS, western and robinsons.

has anyone seen a pioneer  919 in stock ill buy?

Offline Stagea

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hype Fidelity
  • Liked:
« Reply #367 on: Apr 16, 2011 at 12:32 PM »
Try contacting Tmans to see if he still has them in stock.

Offline lncc63

• Trade Count: (+52)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #368 on: Apr 23, 2011 at 09:52 PM »

Sorry bro your question slipped by me.  

The 1019 does generate quite a bit of heat though I don't have any experience with other AVRs so whether it is hotter or not I can't really say.  It is cooler than the hard disks in my PC when I've been running the PC for quite awhile and have to open it for one reason or another.

It was a good deal I think, and reviews were very good.  The one thing though that had me hesitating was that I couldn't find anyone else talking about it here.  

I've been reading up on AVRs lately, and so far I think I'd have to spend twice or thrice to get to the "next" level - whatever that is.  The 1019 is pretty much feature packed as it is and I don't think I'll outgrow it given my current setup.  I used to think that not being THX certified was a big thing but it seems my current space is well below what certification would be meaningful in.  Having THX Neural, which the 1019 has, may prove to be more valuable.  I am a little worried it won't have enough horsepower to drive RTi A7s, not to their maximum power output, but to their "sweet" spot.

Another deficiency might be it having only HDMI 1.3 interfaces but again it turns out I don't need 1.4a since I decided last year 3D was not for me just yet.  A recent article I came across indicates I made the right choice as 3D technology is not as swell as it is made out to be by industry's big marketing push.  Heck, I'm still not convinced video handling by an AVR is all that necessary to begin with.

One thing that's got me irritated is either the 1019's remote cannot learn commands or the manual left it out all together.  If anyone knows the answer, please tell me.

« Last Edit: Apr 25, 2011 at 09:14 AM by lncc63 »
RX-V3800
RTi A9+CSi A6+A4+FXi A6+2*DSW660
TH-P42V20 PJ-TX200
BDP-S370 D-KR10KU
Mede8er-500X2
XB

Offline Stagea

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hype Fidelity
  • Liked:
« Reply #369 on: Apr 24, 2011 at 12:39 AM »

One thing that's got me irritated is either the 1019's remote cannot learn commands or the manual left it out all together.  If anyone knows the answer, please tell me.

That works via HDMI CEC, afaik. If all your gear are CEC compliant, it'd use the HDMI link to control your other gear.

Offline lncc63

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #370 on: Apr 25, 2011 at 09:34 AM »
Thanks bro.  I've been assuming that Kurolink, VieraLink, etc. are all proprietary without any possibility of interoperability between different manufacturers.  A quick Google and it turns out these are actually all part of the HDMI standard.  Time to breakout the manuals again.  

It seems HDMI CEC is problematic on the Pioneer VSX-1019AH-K :( according several forums.  I'll still try when I get home.
« Last Edit: Apr 25, 2011 at 09:51 AM by lncc63 »
RX-V3800
TH-P42V20 PJ-TX200
BDP-S370 D-KR10KU
Mede8er-500X2
XB

Offline Stagea

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hype Fidelity
  • Liked:
« Reply #371 on: Apr 25, 2011 at 10:40 AM »
Thanks bro.  I've been assuming that Kurolink, VieraLink, etc. are all proprietary without any possibility of interoperability between different manufacturers.  A quick Google and it turns out these are actually all part of the HDMI standard.  Time to breakout the manuals again.  

It seems HDMI CEC is problematic on the Pioneer VSX-1019AH-K :( according several forums.  I'll still try when I get home.

Media tanks, network streamers and no-name video components are the worst offenders, imho. If you have one or more connected to any of your components, try unplugging those and do a power cycle. That often fixes CEC issues (on the other hand, you lose the capability to use those disconnected components).
« Last Edit: Apr 25, 2011 at 10:41 AM by Stagea »

Offline lncc63

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #372 on: Apr 25, 2011 at 11:31 AM »
The problems I read about on the other forums were with all well known manufacturers, with the culprit being the Pioneer VSX-1019 itself.  I'll be happy if I can get this working with our Panasonic TV and the Sony BD player I just got. 

Actually, the VieraLink between the TV and retired Panasonic HTIB never did work.  I did not really try that hard but I'm beginning to suspect that there could be issues with the inexpensive CRKing HDMI cables I like so much  :-[.  Having read about CEC, it came to mind over lunch that the CEC lines might not even be present in the cables I'm using.  Now I feel bad that my one and only Sony HDMI cable had one of its connectors come apart awhile back, and I've no decent cable to explore this CEC with.  Maybe this is why some HDMI cables are so much more expensive.

RX-V3800
TH-P42V20 PJ-TX200
BDP-S370 D-KR10KU
Mede8er-500X2
XB

Offline Tavus

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #373 on: Apr 25, 2011 at 11:57 AM »
Sorry bro your question slipped by me.  

The 1019 does generate quite a bit of heat though I don't have any experience with other AVRs so whether it is hotter or not I can't really say.  It is cooler than the hard disks in my PC when I've been running the PC for quite awhile and have to open it for one reason or another.

It was a good deal I think, and reviews were very good.  The one thing though that had me hesitating was that I couldn't find anyone else talking about it here.  

I've been reading up on AVRs lately, and so far I think I'd have to spend twice or thrice to get to the "next" level - whatever that is.  The 1019 is pretty much feature packed as it is and I don't think I'll outgrow it given my current setup.  I used to think that not being THX certified was a big thing but it seems my current space is well below what certification would be meaningful in.  Having THX Neural, which the 1019 has, may prove to be more valuable.  I am a little worried it won't have enough horsepower to drive RTi A7s, not to their maximum power output, but to their "sweet" spot.

Another deficiency might be it having only HDMI 1.3 interfaces but again it turns out I don't need 1.4a since I decided last year 3D was not for me just yet.  A recent article I came across indicates I made the right choice as 3D technology is not as swell as it is made out to be by industry's big marketing push.  Heck, I'm still not convinced video handling by an AVR is all that necessary to begin with.

One thing that's got me irritated is either the 1019's remote cannot learn commands or the manual left it out all together.  If anyone knows the answer, please tell me.

thanks lncc. the pioneer 1019 is a fine receiver.  the problem its so hard finding brand new ones. I found one pero still at full price shich is quite high for an old model. So im gravitating to other brands like denon or yamaha wich i can find cheaper.
I'll only time i will get into 3d is once they release those glasses less models like toshiba regza.

Offline Stagea

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hype Fidelity
  • Liked:
« Reply #374 on: Apr 25, 2011 at 01:46 PM »
The problems I read about on the other forums were with all well known manufacturers, with the culprit being the Pioneer VSX-1019 itself.  I'll be happy if I can get this working with our Panasonic TV and the Sony BD player I just got. 

Actually, the VieraLink between the TV and retired Panasonic HTIB never did work.  I did not really try that hard but I'm beginning to suspect that there could be issues with the inexpensive CRKing HDMI cables I like so much  :-[.  Having read about CEC, it came to mind over lunch that the CEC lines might not even be present in the cables I'm using.  Now I feel bad that my one and only Sony HDMI cable had one of its connectors come apart awhile back, and I've no decent cable to explore this CEC with.  Maybe this is why some HDMI cables are so much more expensive.

HDMI cables should support CEC, as I believe the wiring is mandatory. It's just that the support from devices is optional. If you have doubts about the CD-R King product, the cheapest cables I've used with CEC successfully are Bandridge Value and Encore.

Offline lncc63

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #375 on: Apr 25, 2011 at 03:58 PM »
Thanks bro.  I think I saw a display of Bandridge cables at The Listening Room which is about a 15 minute walk from my office.   Yeah the CEC wires are mentioned as necessary but so are taxes the last I heard :D ... I jest of course.
RX-V3800
TH-P42V20 PJ-TX200
BDP-S370 D-KR10KU
Mede8er-500X2
XB

Offline warmaster

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • DVD Guru
  • My body... My temple...
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 24
« Reply #376 on: Apr 27, 2011 at 09:15 AM »
it's been said (and personal experience also) that pioneer recievers are a bit bright and can be harsh sounding sometimes. now the question is: if i add a cd tube buffer in the chain would that give me a warmer tube sound for my stereo listening? or should i just get a tube/hybrid amp for my purposes? i have a very limited real estate for gears and it would be a challenge to put up a separate audio setup. tia

Offline Conan

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 811
« Reply #377 on: Apr 27, 2011 at 09:31 AM »
it's been said (and personal experience also) that pioneer recievers are a bit bright and can be harsh sounding sometimes. now the question is: if i add a cd tube buffer in the chain would that give me a warmer tube sound for my stereo listening? or should i just get a tube/hybrid amp for my purposes? i have a very limited real estate for gears and it would be a challenge to put up a separate audio setup. tia

Bro I bought a Topping TP60 amp recently which has a warm sound and with 50 watts per channel totally outclasses my Onkyo 608 in stereo mode. Last I checked there was still one available. The amp is relatively compact enough to squeeze into my room with all the HT gear:

http://www.pinoydvd.com/index.php/topic,121044.0.html

http://www.pinoydvd.com/index.php/topic,136621.0.html
Polk Audio Reserve R200
B&W 606 S2 Anniversary Edition
NAD C368 Integrated Amplifier
Cambridge CXA60

Offline warmaster

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #378 on: Apr 27, 2011 at 09:42 AM »
Bro I bought a Topping TP60 amp recently which has a warm sound and with 50 watts per channel totally outclasses my Onkyo 608 in stereo mode. Last I checked there was still one available. The amp is relatively compact enough to squeeze into my room with all the HT gear:

http://www.pinoydvd.com/index.php/topic,121044.0.html

http://www.pinoydvd.com/index.php/topic,136621.0.html

problem kasi bro pag nagdagdag ako ng amp ibig sabihin nun dagdag speakers nanaman. wala na ko paglalagyan unless a: ipatong ko sa ezrah FS or b: i wall mount ko.

Offline Stagea

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hype Fidelity
  • Liked:
« Reply #379 on: Apr 27, 2011 at 01:11 PM »
problem kasi bro pag nagdagdag ako ng amp ibig sabihin nun dagdag speakers nanaman. wala na ko paglalagyan unless a: ipatong ko sa ezrah FS or b: i wall mount ko.

Unless there is an impedance mismatch, I suggest going for a separate system instead.

You can also try out different speakers with your AVR or play with the tone controls. Running a dedicated player connected via analogue, or using an outboard DAC with a different character may also work. There are many ways to skin a cat.

Offline Conan

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 811
« Reply #380 on: Apr 27, 2011 at 03:24 PM »

While my default audio speakers are small PSB speakers, sometimes I just swap the speaker wire with banana plugs to my Klipsch speakers for audio duties.
Polk Audio Reserve R200
B&W 606 S2 Anniversary Edition
NAD C368 Integrated Amplifier
Cambridge CXA60

Offline warmaster

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #381 on: Apr 27, 2011 at 07:39 PM »
Unless there is an impedance mismatch, I suggest going for a separate system instead.

You can also try out different speakers with your AVR or play with the tone controls. Running a dedicated player connected via analogue, or using an outboard DAC with a different character may also work. There are many ways to skin a cat.

i'm using a pioneer dv lx50 as a cd player connected through the dedicated stereo analog outputs. satisfied naman ako sa tunog, just thinking of adding a cd buffer to give it that warm tube sound

Offline stockHT

• Trade Count: (+33)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #382 on: Apr 28, 2011 at 10:00 PM »
mga sir question lang for pio 520k.

1.) nabasa ko na pwede sya gawing 7.1, meron syang pre-amp output. anong amp ang hindi kamahalan na pwedeng gamitin?

2.) About optical in, ang mga sources ko kasi ay xtreamer, dvd player (hdmi), PS3. 2 lang ang optical in ng 520k, yung dvd player ba kung HDMI audio&video lalabas pa din ang dts etc? or pwede ko gamitan ng coaxial?

thanks!
« Last Edit: Apr 28, 2011 at 10:04 PM by stockHT »
Blog and Vlog

http://tinyurl.com/YNTV-Vlog

VinylGrimes

Offline xeroichi

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #383 on: May 02, 2011 at 12:10 PM »
mga sir, tanong ko lang po...
bakit po kaya nawawala ang mga settings sa AVR ko after ishutdown??

Offline Stagea

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hype Fidelity
  • Liked:
« Reply #384 on: May 02, 2011 at 12:35 PM »

1.) nabasa ko na pwede sya gawing 7.1, meron syang pre-amp output. anong amp ang hindi kamahalan na pwedeng gamitin?

2.) About optical in, ang mga sources ko kasi ay xtreamer, dvd player (hdmi), PS3. 2 lang ang optical in ng 520k, yung dvd player ba kung HDMI audio&video lalabas pa din ang dts etc? or pwede ko gamitan ng coaxial?

thanks!

1) Maraming murang amps, like mga chip amp. Tingin tingin ka lang. Baka matulungan ka nila Kemozavi.

2) Dapat lumusot pa rin yung audio portion ng signal basta tama yung settings.

Offline stockHT

• Trade Count: (+33)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #385 on: May 02, 2011 at 03:21 PM »
1) Maraming murang amps, like mga chip amp. Tingin tingin ka lang. Baka matulungan ka nila Kemozavi.

2) Dapat lumusot pa rin yung audio portion ng signal basta tama yung settings.

salamat sa reply sir!
Blog and Vlog

http://tinyurl.com/YNTV-Vlog

VinylGrimes

Offline xeroichi

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #386 on: May 03, 2011 at 10:32 PM »
mga sir, tanong ko lang po...
bakit po kaya nawawala ang mga settings sa AVR ko after ishutdown??
up ko lang po yung tanong ko...

Offline jojo_uy

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #387 on: May 04, 2011 at 10:41 AM »
sa wakas may sound system na ko , pioneer vsx 520 k , pioneer srs-33tb , marcopilyo amp4v2 2pcs JBL 12inches w/box , bale lahat 41 k pesos , tapos PC yun player ko para kahit volume 50 lang sa reciever malakas na  :D :D

Offline Cosmic79

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #388 on: May 04, 2011 at 10:49 AM »
sa wakas may sound system na ko , pioneer vsx 520 k , pioneer srs-33tb , marcopilyo amp4v2 2pcs JBL 12inches w/box , bale lahat 41 k pesos , tapos PC yun player ko para kahit volume 50 lang sa reciever malakas na  :D :D

Congrats Sir Jojo on your new system. Maganda rin pag computer ang source mo as ok rin ang sound quality.
Audio Hobbyist

Offline jeyps11_c

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • DVD Addict
  • SARS!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #389 on: May 06, 2011 at 12:54 PM »

thanks!

Sir, lahat yang input mo pwede mo na ipasok sa 520K. Halso same tayo ng set up: DVD, WDTV and PS3. Meron 3 HDMI input ang 520K. Both audio and video will pass through HDMI so there is no need to separate the audio via Optical or Coax. Meron din DTS decoder and 520K so wala kang problema sa format. Kelangan mo lang i out yung 520K papunta sa display mo and good to go na.

Home is where the Theater is!
Pio AVS520K
Wharf 9.1 and WH2 Center
A-Audio FS
US Audio Sub
WDTV