Author Topic: NAD CD Player  (Read 109474 times)

Offline kimpao

• Trade Count: (0)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Gulaman-gulaman!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: NAD CD Player
« Reply #270 on: Feb 28, 2005 at 04:49 PM »
thanks for the clarification sir kimpao :) kainis. balak ko pa naman kumuha ng nad cd player >:(

sir Garp, by that you mean there's lesser risks for non-hdcd players? kasi mas madali maka-acquire ng replacement parts? many thanks :)

bumblebee,

I think what Garp meant was hindi "daw" siya magaling (kuning-kuning, eh kung amp nga eh pinagaganda niyan ang tunog cdp pa kaya).  It's really not lesser risk but the parts itself are no longer in stock and being produced by the manufacturer as these were already replaced by newer models. Obsolence ika nga nila.  :)

garp,

chief, ano ba bago nating project? ;D ;D

Offline Garp

• Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #271 on: Feb 28, 2005 at 05:27 PM »
bumblebee,

I think what Garp meant was hindi "daw" siya magaling (kuning-kuning, eh kung amp nga eh pinagaganda niyan ang tunog cdp pa kaya).  It's really not lesser risk but the parts itself are no longer in stock and being produced by the manufacturer as these were already replaced by newer models. Obsolence ika nga nila.  :)

garp,

chief, ano ba bago nating project? ;D ;D

siguro naman may puwedeng replacement sa PCM1732. pero you're right non-hdcd are less risky in the sense an mass mura sila so di masakit sa bulsa pag nasira :D

Kimpao, la pang bago. Pero alam ko si Jojo marami ;D

Offline Jakob

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Collector
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #272 on: Feb 28, 2005 at 07:21 PM »
NAD is a good player, but the retailer/distributor sucks.

O0

Offline taggart

• Collector
  • clean out that earwax for optimum sound exp!
  • Liked:
« Reply #273 on: Mar 01, 2005 at 12:25 AM »
NAD is a good player, but the retailer/distributor sucks.

O0

so true.  :(  about the DAC, sana nga pwedeng i-upgrade. 

Offline john5479

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • crash and burn!!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #274 on: Mar 01, 2005 at 12:46 AM »
its hard to vouch for a brand that has this kind of after sales service, too bad because those who are blessed with units that works flawlessly since day one will find it hard to convince their friends that this is a good brand

Offline hans_adriane

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #275 on: Mar 01, 2005 at 03:20 AM »
myki,

Try to follow up more often had a problem with studio system before with my NAD amp and almost took me 4 times to visit there office just to get result.

Offline mYKi

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Collector
  • Ewan!
  • Liked:
« Reply #276 on: Mar 01, 2005 at 03:40 PM »
Guys,

Studio Systems (distributor) and Sights and Sounds (dealer) talked and they decided to just charge me P4,500. Deep inside, I still feel cheated. If this happened in the US, wala ng tanong-tanong. They will definitely honor the warranty.

So... I will just pay the P4,500. Enjoy my music. And learn from this experience. 1 month without music is toooo long for me.

So in summary:

I still LOVE the sound of the NAD C542 and it's still the best for my ears and budget.
I HATE the after sales service of the dealer and the distributor.

By the way, I have elevated my concern to the regional office of NAD but I still haven't gotten any feedback yet.

Thanks so much for everyone's concern.

Offline bumblebee

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #277 on: Mar 01, 2005 at 03:49 PM »
Guys,

Studio Systems (distributor) and Sights and Sounds (dealer) talked and they decided to just charge me P4,500. Deep inside, I still feel cheated. If this happened in the US, wala ng tanong-tanong. They will definitely honor the warranty.

So... I will just pay the P4,500. Enjoy my music. And learn from this experience. 1 month without music is toooo long for me.

it's a brand new unit right?

Offline eRaSeR

• Apprentice
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #278 on: Mar 01, 2005 at 06:13 PM »
not worth! :( is that the after sales support they can give with the buyer. still, you burn another 4.5 grand. i'm wondering, what happen with the warranty.

Guys,

So in summary:

I still LOVE the sound of the NAD C542 and it's still the best for my ears and budget.

By the way, I have elevated my concern to the regional office of NAD but I still haven't gotten any feedback yet.

Offline Jakob

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Collector
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #279 on: Mar 01, 2005 at 07:02 PM »
what will they do with your defective unit?  ::) :o >:D

Offline bumblebee

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #280 on: Mar 01, 2005 at 07:50 PM »
what will they do with your defective unit?  ::) :o >:D

c521bee na lang bibilin ko ;) mahirap na ;D
« Last Edit: Mar 01, 2005 at 07:53 PM by bumblebee »

Offline av_phile1

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Cheers from a movie and music lover
  • Liked:
« Reply #281 on: Mar 02, 2005 at 10:16 AM »
Guys,

So in summary:

Charge to experience. 

People will soon forget.  Afterall, NAD products are good. 

After a while, someone else like you will have the same problem when invoking its warranty.    Conditional warranty!!! BS.  Where in the product literature does it say so?  More like selective warranty.  More accuratly, NO warranty.  :( 

Unless consumers make such grievance,  correction, injustice, stand out in the market, these dealers will continue to laugh all the way to the bank.  At your expense, ofcourse. 

(I too was seriously considering a C542.  Other priorites krept in delaying my purchase.  A blessing of sorts.  Now that I heard about this episode of yours and after my bout with 5th Ave on the MS speakers, I really would hate to encounter the same thing. So I think I'll look elsewhere now.  I don't think I can patronize a product whose local dealers can't acknowledge a lemon when presented with one, and in the very few occasions that one appears, they will prefer to give an otherwise good brand a bad name by mocking the warranties.  And insulting the user as if he knows no better than to abuse and misuse  the product.  The NAD is not a cheap product.  Like most expensive items, their buyers are often known to know how to use such products and care for them.  But their dealers would prefer to treat their clientele as cheap who would put one over them at the slightest excuse.  That's the kind of profit-only mentality that would assume misuse rather than accept a lemon.    So be it.   In the US, such episodes merit an outright unit replacement; no questions asked.  But not in poor 3rd world countries.  I really hope what they did to you will cost them more in terms of market share. Too bad, only a few audiophiles are pinoydvd members.  :(

If I recall right, the senate has come out with something called an anit-lemon law that is supposed to protect consumers.  It's about time.  The DTI protects industries, so far nothing protects the consumers.  We have no recourse but to charge such episodes to experience. 

« Last Edit: Mar 02, 2005 at 11:33 AM by av_phile1 »

Offline bumblebee

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #282 on: Mar 02, 2005 at 11:06 AM »
mYKi,

can you post the serial number of the damaged unit? thanks.

Offline mYKi

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Collector
  • Ewan!
  • Liked:
« Reply #283 on: Mar 02, 2005 at 02:38 PM »
hi guys,

Yes, they replaced with a new unit. So I guess para bang I paid P4,500 to use the first CD player for 6 months. I guess pwede na rin.

And now, I'm glad I still have this player. Ang ganda talaga tumunog. :-)

Sorry but I don't have a copy of the serial number of my previous one. From what I heard, Sights and Sounds will just use it as a demo or service unit.

Myki

Offline av_phile1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #284 on: Mar 02, 2005 at 03:27 PM »
Good for you.  Better than waiting for any repairs.  But that replacement should not come at a price, whatever price. 

« Last Edit: Mar 02, 2005 at 03:31 PM by av_phile1 »

Offline taggart

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #285 on: Mar 02, 2005 at 03:47 PM »
glad to hear you got a new unit.  still i don't like the way they handled your problem(abuse BS) and it really sucks that you had to pay for something that should have been covered.  i for one am swearing off NAD products(except maybe 2nd hand ;D) from now on.  Score one for Rotel! 

OT: anyone knows how Rotel handles their warranties? 

Offline kimpao

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Gulaman-gulaman!
  • Liked:
« Reply #286 on: Mar 02, 2005 at 04:34 PM »
glad to hear you got a new unit.  still i don't like the way they handled your problem(abuse BS) and it really sucks that you had to pay for something that should have been covered.  i for one am swearing off NAD products(except maybe 2nd hand ;D) from now on.  Score one for Rotel! 

had a 971 before, never encountered any problems.  have a 1072 right now, purchased this last july 2004, neve encountered any problems, yun nga lang nilalampaso siya ng husto nung GR1 Turntable ko sa sound.  :'(  ;D ;D 

Offline av_phile1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #287 on: Mar 02, 2005 at 05:32 PM »

I've been postponing getting a new CD player since last christmas as new higher priorites come in.  A blessing of sorts.  The C542 has been my choice.  And now I am less interested in getting one after this episode, especially not from those dealers mentioned. I would hate a repeat of a similar episode with my speakers. 

Just recently visited Architectural Audio and saw their Usher CD player.  Excellent looks and build, though I haven't auditioned them yet. Same price and country of manufacture as NAD.  The brand is relatively new to the High-end audio business, so their products are trying to make a name.  I will definitely put this brand in my list and strike out NAD.  And based on the excellent after sales feedback from some members here, I think Archi gives a more customer-friendly acknowlegement of warranties.

Those local NAD dealers may have gained P4,500 form myKi.  But they've lost a potential 19T sale from me.  Any dealer who makes mincemeats out of an expressed warranty, alleging a customer doesn't know any better than to misuse its product, doesn't deserve patronage. 
« Last Edit: Mar 02, 2005 at 05:35 PM by av_phile1 »

Offline audioslave

• Collector
  • used to be audioslave but now a fotoslave
  • Liked:
« Reply #288 on: Mar 02, 2005 at 07:23 PM »
there's so much bruhaha about this product with you guys claiming NAD as an inferior product. well, from my experience, since i was the first guy to have owned the NAD C542 in the Philippines (mine was delivered first than that of aeris30) i can say that the NAD C542 is one of the sturdiest player that i have tried. if your player can play CDs for 12 straight hours on a random play without skipping or failing then you can beat the hell out of this player. i'm willing to bet my player on this torture test provided your player is equally priced as mine. if your player conks out first, then i'll get your player... if mine conks out first, then you can have mine....  >:D

Offline iceman90a

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • DVD Guru
  • picture this!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #289 on: Mar 02, 2005 at 08:38 PM »
;D put up or shut up ha? ;D
money is best spent

Offline taggart

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #290 on: Mar 02, 2005 at 11:44 PM »
had a 971 before, never encountered any problems.  have a 1072 right now, purchased this last july 2004, neve encountered any problems, yun nga lang nilalampaso siya ng husto nung GR1 Turntable ko sa sound.  :'(  ;D ;D 

hehe looks like Rotel's got better QC.  about the turntable sounding better, kaya ayoko nang makinig sa mga iyan at baka ma-SARS ako ulit.  :P

Offline taggart

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #291 on: Mar 02, 2005 at 11:59 PM »
I've been postponing getting a new CD player since last christmas as new higher priorites come in.  A blessing of sorts.  The C542 has been my choice.  And now I am less interested in getting one after this episode, especially not from those dealers mentioned. I would hate a repeat of a similar episode with my speakers. 

like some people say, good things come to those who wait.(to a point anyway)  what happened to your speakers btw? 

Just recently visited Architectural Audio and saw their Usher CD player.  Excellent looks and build, though I haven't auditioned them yet. Same price and country of manufacture as NAD.  The brand is relatively new to the High-end audio business, so their products are trying to make a name.  I will definitely put this brand in my list and strike out NAD.  And based on the excellent after sales feedback from some members here, I think Archi gives a more customer-friendly acknowlegement of warranties.

is NAD made in taiwan too?  i like the way their speakers sound especially considering the size...only time will tell how popular they become.  looks promising though.  hope to audition the cd player someday.

Those local NAD dealers may have gained P4,500 form myKi.  But they've lost a potential 19T sale from me.  Any dealer who makes mincemeats out of an expressed warranty, alleging a customer doesn't know any better than to misuse its product, doesn't deserve patronage. 

likewise, i was aiming for the C352 to complement my player but seeing how they treat their customers, i decided to get a second hand unit(albeit an older model).  they won't honor their warranty anyway so why bother getting brand new?  sure hope the distributors of other brands do learn from this one. 

Offline taggart

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #292 on: Mar 03, 2005 at 12:07 AM »
there's so much bruhaha about this product with you guys claiming NAD as an inferior product. well, from my experience, since i was the first guy to have owned the NAD C542 in the Philippines (mine was delivered first than that of aeris30) i can say that the NAD C542 is one of the sturdiest player that i have tried. if your player can play CDs for 12 straight hours on a random play without skipping or failing then you can beat the hell out of this player. i'm willing to bet my player on this torture test provided your player is equally priced as mine. if your player conks out first, then i'll get your player... if mine conks out first, then you can have mine....  >:D

bro it's not really the product in question since my player is still working fine so far.  what is questionable is the way the dealer/distributor handles their warranty claims.  a few lemons are expected from the manufacturing line but the dealers/distributors should also stand behind their warranties.  what happened to mYKi is far from acceptable in my book.

Offline enygma

• Collector
  • hirameki!
  • Liked:
« Reply #293 on: Mar 03, 2005 at 09:40 AM »
ito rin sanang nadc542 ang bibilhin ko right after my stint in china. maganda kasi ang reviews niya dito aside from a dedicated cd player na lang ang kulang sa set-up ko. buti na lang i was able to scan the net and settled for a shanling cd player instead which I ordered online. tutal nasa china na rin lang ako, why not try it.  ;D i wonder, bigla yatang naging tahimik ang distributor ng nad dito particularly sa thread na ito..... ???

Offline j3d

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #294 on: Mar 03, 2005 at 09:51 AM »
inferior product?! i dont recall anyone saying that.

Offline krets pulpol

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • what's your major malfunction numb nuts!!!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1582
« Reply #295 on: Mar 03, 2005 at 09:57 AM »
is NAD made in taiwan too?

i think it's made/assembled in china.
what?! are you talkin' to me!!!

Offline av_phile1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #296 on: Mar 03, 2005 at 10:38 AM »
like some people say, good things come to those who wait.(to a point anyway)  what happened to your speakers btw? 

My episodes with my speakers are well aired in the Mordaunt-Shorts thread. 

is NAD made in taiwan too?  i like the way their speakers sound especially considering the size...only time will tell how popular they become.  looks promising though.  hope to audition the cd player someday.

NAD or New Accoustic Dimension is supposed to be British but all the units I've seen thus far (not that many really) have the Made in Taiwan  mark at the back, giving me the impression they're manufactured there.   Someone said in CHINA.  I won't be surprised as virtually all audio brands have assembly or manufacturing plants in a country where labor rates do increase profit mark-ups. 

likewise, i was aiming for the C352 to complement my player but seeing how they treat their customers, i decided to get a second hand unit(albeit an older model).  they won't honor their warranty anyway so why bother getting brand new?  sure hope the distributors of other brands do learn from this one.

A 1-2 year old preowned Rotel CD player is another option.  Nice thing about these preowned expensive stuff is that ,in general, they are well taken cared of by their owners.  Neither abused nor misused, virutually maintaining their pristine conditions.  Ofcourse there are exceptions. 

Offline kimpao

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Gulaman-gulaman!
  • Liked:
« Reply #297 on: Mar 03, 2005 at 11:29 AM »
in a nutshell : "there will always be a lemon every once in a while". sa kamalasan na tyempohan lang ni mYKi yung lemon. :-\

audioslave, puso mo sir, wag masyado high blood. ahehehehehe  ;D ;D ;D

Offline av_phile1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #298 on: Mar 03, 2005 at 12:41 PM »
in a nutshell : "there will always be a lemon every once in a while". sa kamalasan na tyempohan lang ni mYKi yung lemon. :-\

True.  No doubt about lemons in every brand. 

But it is a real test to dealers how they deal with these lemons.   The more reliable a product, the lesser the inicidence of lemons.  And the lesser the lemons, the more the dealers should afford to replace them outright.  If only to protect the name. 

« Last Edit: Mar 03, 2005 at 12:44 PM by av_phile1 »

Offline audioslave

• Collector
  • used to be audioslave but now a fotoslave
  • Liked:
« Reply #299 on: Mar 03, 2005 at 01:06 PM »
if i had encountered the same problem as mYki, i would have gone to the NCR of DTI and filed a complaint against the dealer and the distributor to enforce my rights under the Consumer Code of the Philippines. with a leverage complaint on their face, i'm sure they will immediately replace the unit instead of hiring a lawyer to defend their cause which would be more costly to them. remember, filing a complaint with the DTI doesn't cost a penny - a letter-complaint with attachment of a photocopy of the receipt will do.  ;)