Author Topic: HT Projector advice  (Read 6169 times)

Offline MAtZTER

• Trade Count: (0)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • More POWER to your HT! literally ...
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: HT Projector advice
« Reply #60 on: Mar 16, 2006 at 09:57 AM »
I was about to buy this the other day but became a bit hesitant on the last minute. Can a 2.6k dvd player incorporate a Faroudja DCDi which is mostly available in high-end upconverting DVD players (Too good to be true?)

Its either too good to be true or its too cheap to print DCDi on the face of the DVD player.

If I remember correctly, I saw one player like this (w/ all possible technologies printed on the front) in a trade fair along with a ton of other generic DVD players.

Offline Kato

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Collector
  • Carpe Diem!
  • Liked:
« Reply #61 on: Mar 16, 2006 at 01:15 PM »
ok with me bro, and we can try it here at my ae500 since wala ako ae900 eh :P Kato baka you want to be the third guy para 875 na lang exposure ng bawat isa? and we test it sa ae900 ng dad mo ;D

Hey that's fine with me :) Kaso lang... I'll be away for a week or so. I'll still try to check it out pa rin before I leave. I'll still be frequenting the forums though :P

Offline mheloy

• Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #62 on: Mar 17, 2006 at 10:58 PM »
Hey Ricky,

I was also supposed to get the OPPO DV971H from Amazon, but found out it won't play DivX HD. The great thing about it though is that it uses Faroudja's DCDi technology. I prefer the KiSS DP-600 HD media player (http://www.kiss-technology.com/?p=600en&v=users) but it's not yet available and I have a feeling it will cost quite a bit.

Actually, I understand your feelings about not having a laptop or pc near your HT gear. For me, however, since I'm into IT, using laptops/PCs is quite second-nature to me. So I guess, it's relative to one's preference. Marrying my HT system with my laptop or pc seems natural to me and actually that's where the future of HT is going ---> Multimedia Centers/Consoles. I honestly find it attractive to see a sleek Thinkpad T43 on the coffee table with the HT as the backdrop hehehe The small hassle of using a laptop/PC is a very small (even negligible) price to pay for being able to view true HD media. I won't even say it's torture ;) HD is unbelievably so good. Pure eye candy talaga. HD upscaling by mid to high-end players just doesn't cut it. HD upscaling only artificially (mathematically) improves on DVD's 480p resolution (into 720p), but it's not even close to true 720p. Lucky you, you can wait, but I don't think I can! ;) When you've tasted HD, anything lesser just won't taste as good. I'm now having withdrawal symptoms after last night's HD session... sigh...

Thanks for recommending Bote, I'll probably bug him when he's not busy :) Does your Panny give total blacks in a totally dark room (after calibration)? Like for example, can you distinguish the black bands on top/bottom of a letterbox-format movie?

Cheers!

sir di ko makita yung mga HI RES na movies trailer.
saan sya sir?

Offline Kato

• Collector
  • Carpe Diem!
  • Liked:
« Reply #63 on: Mar 18, 2006 at 01:17 AM »
Try here for starters http://www.divx-digest.com/movies :) Get the ones labeled "HD".

Offline mheloy

• Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #64 on: Mar 18, 2006 at 01:46 AM »
Try here for starters http://www.divx-digest.com/movies :) Get the ones labeled "HD".

thanks sir

Offline iceman90a

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • DVD Guru
  • picture this!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #65 on: Apr 17, 2006 at 03:09 PM »
what advantages are inherent in using a projector screen? I haven't set-up the screen yet (will be placing it in the living room) and am currently firing the image to a blank wall (colored light blue) in the bedroom.

is it worth it to get another (smaller) screen for when viewing in the bedroom?

ty
« Last Edit: Apr 17, 2006 at 03:10 PM by iceman90a »
money is best spent

Offline sillyputty

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Collector
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #66 on: Apr 17, 2006 at 04:02 PM »
from my experience....
more vivid colors, better contrast, reduced hotspotting..
sa wall kasi..parang nanood ka ng movie sa isang low contrast lcd monitor..medyo patay ang kulay.

Offline iceman90a

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • DVD Guru
  • picture this!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #67 on: Apr 17, 2006 at 04:29 PM »
thanks Sir,

will try it out at my room first (malaki kasi masyado yung kasamang screen nung nakuha ko projector)
:)
money is best spent

Offline nerveblocker

• Trade Count: (+98)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • DTS-HD Master Audio!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 247
« Reply #68 on: Apr 24, 2006 at 06:40 AM »
HWM Magazine has an article titled HD Projector shoot out on its April 2006 issue. It features projectors like Benq PE7700, Epson EMP-TW600, Infocus Screenplay 5000, Mitsubishi HC3000, Panasonic PT-AE900.

Awards for Best Performance went to Epson EMP TW600 and Best Value went to Infocus Screenplay 5000.

Cheers!  ;D

Offline Kato

• Collector
  • Carpe Diem!
  • Liked:
« Reply #69 on: May 03, 2006 at 05:44 AM »
I've read that article and I wasn't impressed by their review. First, that article was focused more on HD gaming (obviously promoting the XBox 360) and just breezed through movie-viewing. Second, the reviewer(s) used Cinema 2 mode on the AE900, which is actually not the optimal mode for movie-viewing and requires some calibration if one persists to use that mode. Normal mode should've been more ideal for a fair straight-out-of-the-box review. Secondly, the price indicated there for the AE900 was PHP 130K, which is far more expensive than the actual market price here, currently in the PHP 80K to 90K range. This article was originally aimed at the Singapore market. Third, the reviewer(s) mentioned in the concluding paragraphs that the TW600 had better throw, where in fact, the AE900 has 2x throw, while the TW600 only has 1.5x. Although the Epson TW600 boasts of 1600 ANSI lumens over the AE900's 1100 ANSI lumens, I still got a second AE900 because of it's "still" unrivaled PQ-to-value ratio. Until I actually encounter a better projector in the AE900's price range, I'm still a biased AE900 owner. :P

I've been turned off by many review articles on HWM in the past since they always seem to write "rushed" but lengthy articles (yeah, that's weird) with pretty vague (playing-it-safe) conclusions and very shady "awards", which I personally think are based on half-baked criteria. I would have also wanted to see the likes of the Sanyo PLV Z4 or any of the Optoma HD models in that so called shootout.

Of course, while all these are just my personal opinions, like many other wise buyers, I've auditioned, researched and waited for the right moment for making any purchase. Magazine reviews are a great help in the keeping-up-to-date/tech awareness aspect, but I won't bet on the reviews there. I'd rather pay attention to the unbiased experiences/reviews of actual owners and more credible reviewers. There are many discussion sites out there, like avsforum.com (and pinoydvd.com of course), who have many knowledgeable members, with tons of informative articles and guides. Auditioning is still the best way to really find out if something works best for you.

Cheers! ;D
« Last Edit: May 03, 2006 at 06:05 AM by Kato »

Offline nerveblocker

• Trade Count: (+98)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • DTS-HD Master Audio!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 247
« Reply #70 on: May 07, 2006 at 08:15 AM »
Kato,

Thank you for giving light on the matter. I totally agree with you. There are lots of other branded PJ's out there which can be included in the review but they narrowed it out on these 5 brands and models.  Maybe these mags are just money making promoting those products giving them more dough for advertising. 

Bottomline is....to each his own.  Auditioning is still the best deciding factor on your purchase.  Happiness and satisfaction is on the eyes of the beholder.

Cheers! 8)

Offline Kato

• Collector
  • Carpe Diem!
  • Liked:
« Reply #71 on: May 16, 2006 at 03:28 PM »
Hey Bro Nerveblocker,

On the other hand, I think the TW600 would be perfect for a semi-dark room or rooms that cannot be totally blacked out because of its high 1600 ANSI Lumens. I suddenly realized that for my new home office (under construction), I cannot (or do not wish to) totally black it out since I need some ambient lighting and I'm going for very light wall/ceiling/floor colors. This is also perfect if I need to do some presentations over meetings. I've just asked AVLS at New Farmers (I think this is where you bought your PJ?) and they quoted me 119K for the TW600. I'd have to do a side-by-side audition of the TW600 with my AE900 in a semi-darkened room. The TW600 would need a bit more tweaking/caliibration to come close or match the AE900's PQ, if at all possible.

Cheers! :P

Offline Munskie

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • HighDef Enthusiast
  • Liked:
« Reply #72 on: May 16, 2006 at 06:21 PM »
Just saw a copy of T3 magazine (am i attracted to ladies in skimpy outfits or the gears?)  and in their projector buyers guide section, PANNY AE700 pa nakalagay dun, and it's priced at P110k.  and they say its the ultimate buyer's guide. hehehe  ;D

Offline Kato

• Collector
  • Carpe Diem!
  • Liked:
« Reply #73 on: May 16, 2006 at 11:41 PM »
I have that copy too. I actually have most copies of those gadget/tech stuff mags ever since they spawned a few years ago, but I'm fast losing interest in them since they seem to be losing grip on stuff they write about and put on their mags. The only nice articles on T3 are the ones they rip off (alright, maybe just copy) from the T3 UK editions. I'm also not sure why they even have those comparative price/review listings in the last few pages showcasing mostly inaccurately priced and outdated models of various gadgets. I now just look forward to the cover models for consolation :P