Author Topic: Rainbow Effect on DLP Projectors  (Read 5075 times)

Offline nerveblocker

• Trade Count: (+98)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • DTS-HD Master Audio!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 247
Rainbow Effect on DLP Projectors
« on: Feb 28, 2006 at 09:47 AM »
Hi !I auditioned a Benq PB 2140 DLP Projector and I noticed some small squares with red-green-blue vertical lines (something like the logo of Sony Trinitron) popping every now and then on different parts of the screen.  Is this the rainbow effect that some of our PJ users experience?  I noticed that after some time they disappear or maybe I havent auditioned long enough.  I was assuming that maybe they appear on start-up of DLP projectors and fade as you continuously watch or do they not disappear at all once you get to see them. 

This could be a deciding factor what to get: a DLP or an LCD projector

Offline Kato

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Collector
  • Carpe Diem!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Rainbow Effect on DLP Projectors
« Reply #1 on: Feb 28, 2006 at 03:29 PM »
Hi Nirvblakr,

I'm not sure if that's the rainbow effect said to be a factor in DLP projectors, but you certainly shouldn't be seeing those artifacts. On LCD projectors, one thing to look out for and avoid is the screen door effect. The Panasonic PT-AE900 LCD projector exhibits none of the above problems. Best that you audition other brands/models. Also try the AE900, being an LCD projector, it has been touted as a very tough DLP contender.

Cheers!
« Last Edit: Feb 28, 2006 at 07:41 PM by Kato »

Offline nerveblocker

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • DTS-HD Master Audio!
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: Feb 28, 2006 at 09:24 PM »
Thanks Kato for the response.  Higher end LCD projectors do not exhibit the screendoor effect specially those XGA ones.  Is it true that LCD projectors video fades after watching for sometime like more than 5 hours?  And I have read that LCD panels seem to deteriorate through time.  Any comment on this?

Offline pjohn

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • it"s too complicated
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: Feb 28, 2006 at 09:40 PM »
Try also the Hitachi PJ-TX200  ::)

Offline Kato

• Collector
  • Carpe Diem!
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: Feb 28, 2006 at 09:44 PM »
Hi Nirvblakr,

As far as the AE900 is concerned, it didn't exhibit any fading after several hours. The first day we got the AE900, we tested it straight from 3pm to 6am the next day ;) The colors and brightness were consistently brilliant. It's stlil being used for at least 3 hours a day since then. Of course it's still fairly new and a fair review will be due (at least from me) after a few months :) Other AE900 owners care to share your reviews or opinions on this?

As far as LCD panels in projectors deteriorating over time, that is what I have yet to hopefully NOT experience. ;) But, if LCD monitors may be regarded as reference for LCD's deteriorating, my 17" LCD monitor which is 3 years old (used everyday for more than 12 hours a day) still gives exactly the same display quality after comparing it to a brand new one of the exact model we've just purchased. Then again, LCD's in monitors are used differently than projectors.

In my opinion, one should expect some deterioration of any electronic appliance over time, but not before you get a fair return on your investment ;) 5 years is a good life span for any electronic appliance for me. Should it last longer than that, then I'd be grateful, though surely a more advanced and improved alternative will be available by then. Once you buy any tech stuff, consider it obsolete :)

Cheers!
« Last Edit: Feb 28, 2006 at 09:50 PM by Kato »

Offline nerveblocker

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • DTS-HD Master Audio!
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: Feb 28, 2006 at 09:52 PM »
Kato,

Well that was what the guys who brought the DLP projector to my house told me.  DLP PJs would last longer than LCDs. 

Maybe just a marketing scheme for me to buy from them huh :P

nirvblakr

Offline Kato

• Collector
  • Carpe Diem!
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: Feb 28, 2006 at 10:06 PM »
I surely hope so, at least for my dad's sake! :P

Offline Kato

• Collector
  • Carpe Diem!
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: Feb 28, 2006 at 10:14 PM »
By the way, I just learned that our office LCD projector (Hitachi) has been running for 3 years (or more) straight na with no repairs or problems yet except for the often dirty air filter hehehe ;) I also used it the night before we got the AE900 and the colors were still brilliant. Its brightness is 2,000 ANSI lumens though, a bit brighter than the AE900. So, I'm not sure if the claim that DLP's will last longer than LCD's has basis. I also originally wanted a DLP projector, after much research and recommendations from kind PinoyDVD members here, we ended up with an LCD projector. ;)
« Last Edit: Feb 28, 2006 at 10:46 PM by Kato »

Offline Munskie

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • HighDef Enthusiast
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: Mar 01, 2006 at 04:39 PM »
Hi Nirvblakr,

As far as the AE900 is concerned, it didn't exhibit any fading after several hours. The first day we got the AE900, we tested it straight from 3pm to 6am the next day ;) The colors and brightness were consistently brilliant. It's stlil being used for at least 3 hours a day since then. Of course it's still fairly new and a fair review will be due (at least from me) after a few months :) Other AE900 owners care to share your reviews or opinions on this?

Cheers!

my panny ae900 has a lamp run time na 66hrs..ala pa naman ako nakikita or napapansin na obvious deterioration of PQ....ang napansin ko lang..the run time doesnt reflect the real run time ng viewing ko...masyado mabilis ang bilang nya....wala pa 20 movies napanood ko.  as for the rainbow effect of dlp TV's, yun ang weakness...don't know nga lang sa mga front PJ.  as for the screendoor effect of panny ae900...meron ka makikita...if yer viewing 1 feet away....but seriously....its not noticeable watching from your viewing area....based on my research...mas lamang ata black level ang dlp sa mga lcd projector...

;D ;D

Offline nerveblocker

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • DTS-HD Master Audio!
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: Mar 02, 2006 at 05:48 AM »
Yep I agree with the black levels of DLP's as being better than LCD in general.  But the higher end LCDs have attained on par black levels with DLP.  We cannot generalize in comparing the 2 technologies.

Higher end DLP projectors have lesser rainbow effect because of the higher rotational speed of its color wheel.  LCD projectors like the SXGA ones exhibit less or no screendoor effects.

Offline nerveblocker

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • DTS-HD Master Audio!
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: Mar 02, 2006 at 11:13 PM »
« Last Edit: Mar 02, 2006 at 11:14 PM by nirvblakr »

Offline Munskie

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HighDef Enthusiast
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: Mar 03, 2006 at 02:07 PM »
saw it...fast but distracts me...some DLP owners have said that they don't notice it at all...and some do. 

Offline nerveblocker

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • DTS-HD Master Audio!
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: Mar 06, 2006 at 06:46 AM »
There was a demo of the X2 at Megamall and tried to watch long in their King Kong movie.  At a distance, there was minimal notice of rainbows.  I brought my Starwars Episode 1 DVD with me and tried it in their projector.  I was watching the dark parts with Obi wan and Anakin with their lightsabers...man after watching sometime, I was blinking my eyes to remove the rainbows I see and while I was blinking the rainbows began to be more prominent.  Gave me a headache afterwards.  Oh well, might settle for LCD. :-\

Offline Munskie

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HighDef Enthusiast
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: Mar 06, 2006 at 07:25 AM »
shows...the eye is faster than DLP technology..... ;D ;D

Offline Kato

• Collector
  • Carpe Diem!
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: Mar 06, 2006 at 07:26 AM »
You may want to consider the Panasonic PT-AE900 (you can't go wrong with this one), Sharp Z4 or Hitachi TX200 :)

Offline Munskie

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HighDef Enthusiast
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: Mar 06, 2006 at 08:16 AM »
yup..the panny ae900 is really a great buy!!  (biased biased) ;D ;D  the sanyo plv z4 is also good but wala ata local distributor dito eh (unconfirmed).

Offline nerveblocker

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • DTS-HD Master Audio!
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: Mar 07, 2006 at 09:44 AM »
Kato, Munskie

I am in a budget so I settled for the Epson EMP-S3.  Why?   I decided first whether to get an LCD or DLP. Tried 2  entry level DLP projectors such as  the Benq PB2140 ( home audition) first time to see them rainbows.  Why the Benq PB 2140?  Cheap cost of projector and relatively cheap cost of lamp. Invited my wife and she also saw the rainbows.  Tried to audition  also the Infocus X2 at Megamall as I previously posted.  Saw the rainbows and the cost of  the lamp was between  P18-25k.  Tsk  tsk...not for me.   And with the rainbow effect, that really affirmed my decision not to get one.

I arranged an audition at All Visual in Cubao coz they are distributing projectors such as NEC,  Epson, Optoma, etc.  Their fast selling projectors were the Epsons.  I had 2 choices:  Either their Epson EMP-TW20 which is a  home projector  selling at P65k SRP but they can give you a big discount and sell it to you at P57k.  Tempting...when they had the set up already, the picture was really huge on its native 16:9 panel.  They clamed 80 inches at only 2m distance.  Very tempting indeed.  Looks good too!  Also, it uses the same bulb (cheap!) as the  EMP-S3.  Although on demo, you really need a dark room to watch a movie.  Maybe I was turned off because there was minimal light entering the room and I really had to squint to see in the dark parts of the movies.  My room in the house cannot achieve the darkness of a movie theater.  It can satisfy me but in its Standard Living room mode which would only take 2000 lamp hours.  I tried the eco mode in the Theater and Theater Black modes,  it was too dark for me and dark scenes weren't discernible anymore.  At this setting they told me that it would go down as low as 350 ANSI lumens.  Too dark!  Sayang mas pogi pa naman.

I tested the EMP-S3 and the colors were more alive and the pictures were really crisp.    Tested my DVDs with it and I was just so happy and also the wifey.  Although it is marketed as a presentation projector, it performed well in movies.  I didn't hesitate to buy it kaagad.   The bulb cost is cheap at P11500 and very accessible from the internet.

Brought it home, enjoyed it specially on a projector screen.  It is not a popular projector here in our forum  but if you are in a budget but would get a cinema like experience, I recommend this projector. 

Bottomline is....regardless of the reviews, beauty is in the eyes of the beholder.  ;D       

Offline Kato

• Collector
  • Carpe Diem!
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: Mar 07, 2006 at 09:53 AM »
Hey Nirvblakr!

Congratulations! It does pay to do research talaga :) I also considered the Epson before because of the price, but never had the chance to audition any of the models. Downside lang is it's not high definition, but perfect na rin for regular DVDs. How much did you get it for? What's most important is that you were able to maximize your budget and be happy (most especially wifey!).

Enjoy your new toy! :)

Cheers!
« Last Edit: Mar 07, 2006 at 09:59 AM by Kato »

Offline iceman90a

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • DVD Guru
  • picture this!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: Mar 07, 2006 at 09:53 AM »
Sir how much did the Epson EMP-S3 cost? If you dont mind..

Ty
money is best spent

Offline Munskie

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HighDef Enthusiast
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: Mar 07, 2006 at 10:05 AM »
congrats on your new toy nirv....thats the most important thing naman...to enjoy our gears... ;D ;D

Offline ricky

• Trade Count: (+68)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Duh?
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 544
« Reply #20 on: Mar 07, 2006 at 11:45 AM »
congrats nirv,ok yang epson,BOTE is still using his emp 30 and its still awesome esp when he hooked it up to his pc.When i bought my ae500 epsom was my other choice pero at that time its either their 4:3 model or s1 lang choices so had to settle for the panny kahit almost doble yung price :P Another good dlp for the price is infocus x1 :)

Offline nerveblocker

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • DTS-HD Master Audio!
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: Mar 08, 2006 at 01:20 AM »
Hey Nirvblakr!

Congratulations! It does pay to do research talaga :) I also considered the Epson before because of the price, but never had the chance to audition any of the models. Downside lang is it's not high definition, but perfect na rin for regular DVDs. How much did you get it for? What's most important is that you were able to maximize your budget and be happy (most especially wifey!).

Enjoy your new toy! :)

Cheers!

Thanks Kato.  It says in the brochiere HDTV at 720p.  I just hooked it first through S-video and I am very satisfied with the results already.  I was just wondering how it would fair on progressive scan.  Hmm....

I was able to project a 75" screen (diagonal) at 3 meters away.  Although this size was reduced already coz the biggest projected size won't fit my screen anymore.

Here is a sample of a screenshot in selectable 16:9 mode:

A screenshot in 4:3 mode:

Very Happy indeed!!! ;D ;D ;D BTW, these shots were taken on Eco mode.

Sir how much did the Epson EMP-S3 cost? If you dont mind..

Ty

P54,995.00 with a free 60" x 60" pull down projector screen.  I made a deal to just replace the free Nextbase DVD player with the projection screen.  Good thing AVLS agreed!  They are easy to talk to.  Look for Grace.  (plugging ;D)
« Last Edit: Mar 08, 2006 at 01:27 AM by nirvblakr »

Offline nerveblocker

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • DTS-HD Master Audio!
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: Mar 08, 2006 at 01:24 AM »
Thank you Ricky and Munskie for your comments.  The front projector experience is really different.  It somehow made my loudspeakers sounded puny because of the big screen.  I had to crank the volume up to have a large audio to match the large video display.  Hehe!

Before when I had my 32" widescreen TV, the sound was louder than the video (now I found it too small).  Hehe!

Offline Kato

• Collector
  • Carpe Diem!
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: Mar 08, 2006 at 03:56 AM »
Hey Nirvblakr,

Thanks Kato.  It says in the brochiere HDTV at 720p.  I just hooked it first through S-video and I am very satisfied with the results already.  I was just wondering how it would fair on progressive scan.  Hmm....

Yes, it supports HDTV 720p formats, but I meant the native resolution isn't high definition (800px by 600px). This is still, however, more than adequate for DVD viewing, of course :) Try connecting it via component video too for better color separation.

I was able to project a 75" screen (diagonal) at 3 meters away.  Although this size was reduced already coz the biggest projected size won't fit my screen anymore.

Very Happy indeed!!! ;D ;D ;D BTW, these shots were taken on Eco mode.

P54,995.00 with a free 60" x 60" pull down projector screen.  I made a deal to just replace the free Nextbase DVD player with the projection screen.  Good thing AVLS agreed!  They are easy to talk to.  Look for Grace.  (plugging ;D)

Great shots! Try mo rin calibrate using Avia to further bring out its full potential.

That is indeed a great buy :)

Thank you Ricky and Munskie for your comments.  The front projector experience is really different.  It somehow made my loudspeakers sounded puny because of the big screen.  I had to crank the volume up to have a large audio to match the large video display.  Hehe!

Before when I had my 32" widescreen TV, the sound was louder than the video (now I found it too small).  Hehe!

Sounds like another upgrade looming on the horizon.... ;)

Panood naman kami! :P

« Last Edit: Mar 08, 2006 at 04:01 AM by Kato »

Offline Munskie

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HighDef Enthusiast
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: Mar 08, 2006 at 08:45 AM »
congrats sir nirv, images looks great....and its a great deal indeed!!  and yung audio sounding like naiwan na sa video, you could always upgrade (devil icon)...SARS SARS SARS!! ;D ;D

Offline nerveblocker

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • DTS-HD Master Audio!
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: Mar 08, 2006 at 10:01 AM »
Oonga eh.  Replaced my existing floorstanders with 5 footers....Haha!

Offline ricky

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Duh?
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: Mar 08, 2006 at 05:28 PM »
Oonga eh.  Replaced my existing floorstanders with 5 footers....Haha!

Ha ha ha ayan na nagsimula na upgrades ;D iba talaga bro pag big screen noh ;)Now im sure you will watch again all the movies you have in your collection ;D have fun bro ;)

Offline nerveblocker

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • DTS-HD Master Audio!
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: Mar 09, 2006 at 02:40 AM »
ricky- Maga na nga mata ko sa kakapanood.  Di pako inaantok.  Hehe!  Bought a 15 pin to BNC cable to hook it up to my component video outputs of my dvd player to try progressive scan.  All i can say is...WOW!!!  Great leap in terms of video quality from S-video.  Very evident on big screens!!! :o :o :o  I was running on 525p in full screen mode.

Offline ricky

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Duh?
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: Mar 09, 2006 at 11:37 AM »
Yeah progressive in 525p is more than enough for reg dvd movies,its much much much better compared to movie houses ;D  ;D

Offline nerveblocker

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • DTS-HD Master Audio!
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: Mar 09, 2006 at 02:00 PM »
Based on my readings the contrast ratio of movie houses is just 500:1.  Is this true?