Author Topic: Epson EMP-S3  (Read 4435 times)

Offline nerveblocker

• Trade Count: (+98)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • DTS-HD Master Audio!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 247
Re: Epson EMP-S3
« Reply #30 on: Apr 15, 2006 at 09:27 AM »
I noticed that when I turn on the progressive scan of my DVD player, the outline of the letters in the menu is a little blurred compared to when the prog scan is off.   Parang mas malinaw pa ata ang walang progressive scan.  Hmmm.... The progressive scan of the pj naman can only be activated when the composite or the S-video is being used.  Anybody with other pjs noticed this?

Offline jerix

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • got no golden ears...just loving music
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 70
« Reply #31 on: Apr 17, 2006 at 07:53 AM »
Doc Mel,  i hope you can include in your assessment the matter pertaining your electric consumptions..  ;)
Samsung65MU6303/TCL4kPS49TV/OnkSR608/OnkTXNR676/Marantz/Akai/Sansui/PrjEssential-II

Offline nerveblocker

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • DTS-HD Master Audio!
  • Liked:
« Reply #32 on: Apr 18, 2006 at 07:07 AM »
jerix- pertaining to electric consumptions, I think it is higher now coz I frequently watch more DVDs with my HT.  ;D  Iba talaga ang theater effect eh.   Although if I compare it to the same number of hours I've used when I still had my 32 inch widescreen TV, I think that the consumption is less with the PJ.  Mas malakas sa kuryente ang TV.

Offline jerix

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #33 on: Apr 18, 2006 at 08:23 AM »
alright! I think power consumption is really not issue as far as this Epson Model is concerned.  Thnx Doc ..;)
Samsung65MU6303/TCL4kPS49TV/OnkSR608/OnkTXNR676/Marantz/Akai/Sansui/PrjEssential-II

Offline atomicat10

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • SHOWTIME
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #34 on: Jul 11, 2006 at 06:35 PM »
S4 is out now and I would like to ask the good doctor if 500:1 contrast doesn't affect VIDEO viewing in comparison to  DLP which offers 2000:1 contrast ratio.

Offline nerveblocker

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • DTS-HD Master Audio!
  • Liked:
« Reply #35 on: Jul 12, 2006 at 11:44 AM »
atomicat10- Theoretically, a 2000:1 contrast ratio compared to a 500:1 contrast ratio would have a better color representation given that they have the same technology like LCD.  But your question has 2 different factors like a higher contrast ratio and also using different technologies such as DLP vs. LCD.

Here is a good comparison of the different contrast ratios so you will have an idea.

Check on this link for more info regarding contrast ratios.

Here is a good comparison of DLP vs LCD projectors.

If budget is not an issue, then you would widen your choices like maybe purchasing the Panny AE900 (LCD) which had a lot of good reviews from our fellow members.  Other options would be the Infocus Screenplay 4805 (DLP) which had garnered good reviews of its own.

I had my own reasons for purchasing the EMP-S3 like budget, price of replacement bulb, local customer support and also the performance.  I am happy with my purchase.  I have just shifted to an HTPC which really improved image quality of my pj compared to my standalone DVD player with progressive scan.  There are really a lot of options to improve your set-up more like buying a video scaler or an upscaling DVD player, shifting to HTPC, room treatments/darkness to maximize the performance of your PJ.  I hope those links I've presented would help you in your decision. 

The bottomline is audition....audition then decide.  Good luck bro on your hunt!  ;D

Offline atomicat10

• Collector
  • SHOWTIME
  • Liked:
« Reply #36 on: Jul 12, 2006 at 03:06 PM »
Thanks for the reply but have read a better article which stated that contrast ratio numbers are part marketing gimmickry and the difference between 2000:1 and 500:1 contrast ratio is nullified by a completely darkened room and high contrast ratio also suffers from being washed out as long as there is ambient light permitted.

I am planning to get the S4 since la na raw S3 and I just wanted to get your personal take on how the S3 dish out video cguro naman maganda pareho. ;D

Offline nerveblocker

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • DTS-HD Master Audio!
  • Liked:
« Reply #37 on: Jul 13, 2006 at 06:04 PM »
Thanks for the reply but have read a better article which stated that contrast ratio numbers are part marketing gimmickry and the difference between 2000:1 and 500:1 contrast ratio is nullified by a completely darkened room and high contrast ratio also suffers from being washed out as long as there is ambient light permitted.

I am planning to get the S4 since la na raw S3 and I just wanted to get your personal take on how the S3 dish out video cguro naman maganda pareho. ;D

Pre if you are eyeing lang naman din for an Epson, try their HT projectors like the EMPSW20 selling for P57k at AVLS or the EMPX3 which has a higher resolution than the SVGA of the EMP-S3/S4.  Try the other options first at AVLS then decide which fits your budget and your taste.

Offline atomicat10

• Collector
  • SHOWTIME
  • Liked:
« Reply #38 on: Jul 14, 2006 at 08:30 PM »
Sir mukhang Ok nga EMP-TW20 kaya lang priority is for presentation use luxury na lang ang HT purpose.

Very important for me is the ability to project on an uncontrolled environment and I don't think the 1200 lumens will do but might test it as well. I really liked it's component IN  and short throw capability kaya lang mas mabigat ng 1 kg and mas mabigat sa bulsa  ;D

Offline nerveblocker

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • DTS-HD Master Audio!
  • Liked:
« Reply #39 on: Jul 15, 2006 at 12:36 PM »
Well, for that purpose the EMP-S3 or the newer EMP-S4 would just suit your needs. I've read that Benq is marketing a 2000 ANSI lumen projector for less than P50k. Considering that you are just going to use it for presentations (wherein rainbow effect is not that evident) and not for movies then you could give this a thought.  Just inquire about it at Astech Pengson.
« Last Edit: Jul 16, 2006 at 06:38 AM by nerveblocker »

Offline nerveblocker

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • DTS-HD Master Audio!
  • Liked:
« Reply #40 on: Jul 21, 2006 at 11:45 AM »
I have hooked my Epson EMP-S3 to an HTPC with an ATI Radeon 7000 series videocard and these are the results:

My PJ has a native resolution of 800x600 and I can say that in terms of text, this is the most clear among the other resolutions (maybe because it has the biggest letters, I dunno).  But when it comes to video, the highest resolution which is 1280x960p which my PJ can accept is the most clear as compared to the 800x600 mode.  Well, this is subjective though.  So to reaffirm my observations,  I invited friends and relatives over to really compare the DVD video quality of the native and upscaled resolutions and they vouched for the latter as being more clear.  Why? As compared to the native 800x600, the higher resolution has more color separation.  I tested ANTZ for instance and the flying insects' closed up skin was more detailed on 1280x960p. In the 800x600 mode, there was just one shade of yellow (sort of a mixed blend) but on the higher resolution there were shades and contours which was more defined; edges were more sharp, colors have different gradations...more of HDTV-like already.  The difference was very evident.  So when I watch DVDs, I use 1280x768p (which has narrower black bars top and bottom of the screen but with superb video quality) and I just shift to a lower resolution when using the internet for a clearer text.

Just posting my observations.  Ciao!    ;D

Offline Weng!

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • The Dude Formerly Known As GneW
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 63
« Reply #41 on: Jul 21, 2006 at 12:11 PM »
sir nerve,

is there any settings on the pc where when u play dvds the resolution will automatically adjust to a higher one, then once u exit the dvd player software it goes back to the native resolution?

thanks

Offline nerveblocker

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • DTS-HD Master Audio!
  • Liked:
« Reply #42 on: Jul 21, 2006 at 06:35 PM »
sir nerve,

is there any settings on the pc where when u play dvds the resolution will automatically adjust to a higher one, then once u exit the dvd player software it goes back to the native resolution?

thanks

I just manually adjust the settings in the display set up whenever the need arises.  Maybe Jpadua would know a software for this.

Offline jerix

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #43 on: Sep 08, 2006 at 01:08 PM »
Doc, just wanna know hows your PJ is workin now? had there been some observable changes already particularly the picture quality? and how many hours have been used?

Offline nerveblocker

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • DTS-HD Master Audio!
  • Liked:
« Reply #44 on: Sep 10, 2006 at 09:38 AM »
Doc, just wanna know hows your PJ is workin now? had there been some observable changes already particularly the picture quality? and how many hours have been used?

Brightness and contrast still the same as when I bought it.  I am now running 200+ hours and have brought my projector around for powerpoint presentations.  This is really a versatile projector for both home and office use. 

With the dvd player attached to it in progressive scan, resolution was great already.  But hooking it to a computer would produce astounding results and a better resolution.  I am as happy with it as the first time I bought it.   ;D

Syempre there were other room modifications already like boarding up the windows to prevent outside light from seeping in the room and adding ambilights which had improved also my viewing pleasure.

Thanks for asking.  ;)   

Offline jerix

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #45 on: Sep 11, 2006 at 08:46 AM »
I think this is the unit that probably suits my needs. Powerful but cheaper than some brands in the market. Plus the fact that it has the cheapest bulb i think - so i am presently saving for it maybe first quarter of next year.  ;D

Offline atomicat10

• Collector
  • SHOWTIME
  • Liked:
« Reply #46 on: Sep 11, 2006 at 05:03 PM »
I think this has been phased out dude. S4 is the present model and has my eyes on it. :o

Offline nerveblocker

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • DTS-HD Master Audio!
  • Liked:
« Reply #47 on: Sep 12, 2006 at 07:54 AM »
Yup definitely S4 for the same price has a higher brightness i.e. 1800 lumens compared to the S3's 1600 lumens. And I think it would sport a 1600 lumen rating in the low power mode (longer lamp life)...maliwanag pa rin.  ;D  So if ever brightness will fade over time as you use the lamp, it would be still bright enough coz the initial lumen rating is high enough. 

It is really a budget projector which you will enjoy with low maintenance. You can always audition it in my house here in Paranaque before you decide.  ;) I have it hooked with a Pioneer DVD player (S-video and component video) and an HTPC via VGA.

Cheers! 8)

Offline jerix

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #48 on: Sep 12, 2006 at 12:45 PM »
oh, so the s3 is now the predecessor -- so fast! Maybe then by first q of next year there will be the s5.. hmm, m wonderin for the additional features. 

Offline nerveblocker

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • DTS-HD Master Audio!
  • Liked:
« Reply #49 on: Nov 04, 2006 at 12:23 PM »
I bought a long USB cable to attach my PC to the PJ and am now using the remote as a remote mouse.  COOL!  8)