Author Topic: Projection TV or Projector?  (Read 4439 times)

Offline watson's box

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Projection TV or Projector?
« on: Mar 13, 2006 at 08:10 PM »
If you have 70k to spend, which would you get? I understand that it is more "economical" to watch with a p.tv and that it easily hooks up with your cable but nothing beats a 60 to 100 inch display that can only be experienced with a projector. So which would you prefer?

Offline Kato

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Collector
  • Carpe Diem!
  • Liked:
Re: Projection TV or Projector?
« Reply #1 on: Mar 13, 2006 at 08:43 PM »
Personally, I'd prefer a projector, primarily because of the joy, the thrill and the immersive experience I get from watching a colossal screen in the comforts of my own home. A secondary (back-up) display such as a standard TV may be needed for watching cable programs.

Others may prefer a good RPTV so they won't need a dark/dim-lit room or wait for the sun to set just to be able to enjoy their movies/programs. :)

I guess it's all a matter of choosing the "greater" evil or indulging to the craving you just can't resist the most. ;)
« Last Edit: Mar 13, 2006 at 09:32 PM by Kato »

Offline ricky

• Trade Count: (+68)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Duh?
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 544
« Reply #2 on: Mar 13, 2006 at 09:27 PM »
Personally, I'd prefer a projector, primarily because of the joy, the thrill and the immersive experience I get from watching a colossal screen in the comforts of my own home. A secondary (back-up) display such as a standard TV may be needed for watching cable programs.

Others may prefer a good RPTV so they won't need a dark/dim-lit room or wait for the sun to set just to be able to enjoy their movies/programs. :)

I guess it's all a matter of choosing the "greater" evil or the craving you just can't resist the most. ;)

I agree with KATO ;D plus if you have the space to accomodate the larger displays then i suggest you go for it ;D and im not sure that there's a projection tv worth 70t ??? but pj yhere's a lot of good choices :o

Offline nerveblocker

• Trade Count: (+98)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • DTS-HD Master Audio!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 247
« Reply #3 on: Mar 13, 2006 at 10:10 PM »
Front projector to really want to bring the theater to your home!  ;D

Offline Munskie

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • HighDef Enthusiast
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: Mar 14, 2006 at 08:45 AM »
Iba talaga ang presentation ng LARGE SCREEN.   There's the WOW!! and WHOA!! factor........and for 70k, only a PJ can do that, and if your looking for a RPTV and for that amount, you can get a 50 incher, but the picture quality aint that good.  If you have lots of dough though for a plasma, you can have a quality FPJ, and new speakers, and maybe a new amp too...... The only downsides in a PJ are; you should have controlled lighting and the short bulb life,  which should prompt you to watch cable programs in a standard TV (and you should have a bigger room),....but the PROS easily outweighs the CONS.....when i first set it up, i was nearly teary eyed (drama)and nakakanganga!!  ;D ;D ;D

Offline sillyputty

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Collector
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: Mar 14, 2006 at 10:04 AM »
pj for sure...
but between pj and plasma...depends on the budget and viewing tastes.

Offline MAtZTER

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • More POWER to your HT! literally ...
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: Mar 14, 2006 at 10:34 AM »
At that budget, I would go for a PJ (movies) and a smaller TV (cable, DVD featurettes).

Iba talaga yung AWE ng big screen.

Offline watson's box

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: Mar 14, 2006 at 07:31 PM »
what projector and p.tv do you prefer with a 70k buget? i've read about toshiba, samsung, infocus, epson and optima?

Offline ricky

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Duh?
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: Mar 14, 2006 at 08:05 PM »
for 70t you can get either an infocus or epson brand pj and your change a 21" tv any brand ;D

Offline Kato

• Collector
  • Carpe Diem!
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: Mar 14, 2006 at 08:16 PM »
Or a DLP Optoma :) But, if you can squeeze out some 10K to 15K more, why not get a true HD-capable Panasonic PT-AE900 instead? (Panasonic should be paying me for this!)
« Last Edit: Mar 14, 2006 at 08:17 PM by Kato »

Offline Munskie

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HighDef Enthusiast
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: Mar 15, 2006 at 08:06 AM »
Or a DLP Optoma :) But, if you can squeeze out some 10K to 15K more, why not get a true HD-capable Panasonic PT-AE900 instead? (Panasonic should be paying me for this!)
yup..dlp optoma h27 is native 480p....

Offline nerveblocker

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • DTS-HD Master Audio!
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: Mar 17, 2006 at 05:30 AM »
If you want a cheaper replacement bulb for your pj go for the epson.  At amazon.com the replacement bulb for my epson pj only costs $165.29 ;D ;D ;D.  Locally it costs P11500-12500.  This might also be a factor for you to choose the brand of your pj. 

Good luck on your hunting 8)

Offline Kato

• Collector
  • Carpe Diem!
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: Mar 17, 2006 at 05:44 AM »
Unless you really need a replacement lamp now, I wouldn't recommend getting one this early or together with your projector purchase since the prices of replacement lamps will definitely go down after a year or two (based on suppliers' forecasts). Since the average life span of HT projector lamps is from 2 to 3 years (perhaps even more), I wouldn't even worry about that at this point. Besides, after 2 years, you'll probably want a better, more advanced HD HT projector. At least, I know I will ;D ;D ;D
« Last Edit: Mar 17, 2006 at 05:50 AM by Kato »

Offline nerveblocker

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • DTS-HD Master Audio!
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: Mar 17, 2006 at 06:29 AM »
Unless you really need a replacement lamp now, I wouldn't recommend getting one this early or together with your projector purchase since the prices of replacement lamps will definitely go down after a year or two (based on suppliers' forecasts). Since the average life span of HT projector lamps is from 2 to 3 years (perhaps even more), I wouldn't even worry about that at this point. Besides, after 2 years, you'll probably want a better, more advanced HD HT projector. At least, I know I will ;D ;D ;D

I agree with you sir!  I am just uncertain of my financial status in the future that is why I considered this.  If everything goes well, an upgrade would be a better option than buying a replacement bulb.  Hehe!  You'll never know the technology 2-3 years from now....

Offline Munskie

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HighDef Enthusiast
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: Mar 17, 2006 at 08:13 AM »
yeah, yer right kato....unless your watching 2 dvds a day 7 days a week, you're not gonna need to buy a replacement lamp sooner.....kung regular usage, within 2-3 years,  baka me panny ae1100 na..hehe, native 1080P or better....... ;D ;D

Offline MAtZTER

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: Mar 17, 2006 at 12:09 PM »
I also forgot to mention:

When considering PJ's, always keep in mind that you dont only spend for the PJ and screen. A very important conisderation is lighting & cable management.

PJs need a darker room to operate best, and if your place is has lots of uncontrolled ambient lighting, it would be a problem. You wouldnt want a setup where you can only watch at night.

Unsightly wires are also another consideration, specially if you will run your component cables from the front to the PJ. Specially if you are the neat, obsessive compulsive kind a guy who doesnt want anything to be messy.  :D

More often than not, these 2 very important factors would cause a renovation of some sort, big or small. Causing costs to escalate. This part is always left out in the budget consideration.
« Last Edit: Mar 17, 2006 at 12:14 PM by MAtZTER »

Offline Kato

• Collector
  • Carpe Diem!
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: Mar 17, 2006 at 12:39 PM »
Hey Matzter,

I understand that you're an architect? Would you know anything about the thick, heavy, rubber-like material used together with curtains usually found in hotel rooms? It's usually the first layer (closest to the window) then a thin fabric goes on top and sometimes a thicker fabric goes in between them. I found this quite effective in totally shielding out the light and I usually end up waking up late in hotels, thinking it's still night time ;D I've also seen those roll-up type of window shields with the same material. Would you know what they're called and/or where to find them?

« Last Edit: Mar 17, 2006 at 12:42 PM by Kato »

Offline Munskie

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HighDef Enthusiast
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: Mar 17, 2006 at 12:46 PM »
Hey Matzter,

I understand that you're an architect? Would you know anything about the thick, heavey, rubber-like material used together with curtains usually found in hotel rooms? It's usually the first layer (closest to the window) then a thin fabric goes on top and sometimes a thicker fabric goes in between them. I found this quite effective in totally shielding out the light and I usually end up waking up late in hotels ;P I've also seen those roll-up type of window shields with the same material. Would you know what they're called and/or where to find them?

kahit di sa akin.....the one who'll be making our curtains suggested i use blackout cloth, to block light...ito yata ginagamit sa mga hotels....i believe thats the cloth used din sa DIY projection screens.. ;D

Offline Kato

• Collector
  • Carpe Diem!
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: Mar 17, 2006 at 01:32 PM »
Hey thanks Munskie bro! I think it's treated with an opaque material right? Would you know where to find them?

Offline MAtZTER

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: Mar 17, 2006 at 01:56 PM »
Correct, its block out cloth. Its avaiblable in a variety of colors in Shell Canvass and I also found them in Wintex Fabrics here in Shaw blvd.

Its also the same cloth used for DIY PJ screens.

Funny thing, I learned about this cloth here in pdvd. as a result of my HT enthusiasm, but not because I was an architect (emphasis on was).  :)
« Last Edit: Mar 17, 2006 at 02:09 PM by MAtZTER »

Offline jambam

• Trade Count: (+51)
  • DVD Addict
  • I love Tech toys
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 12
« Reply #20 on: Mar 17, 2006 at 01:58 PM »
Another source for Block out cloth is Shell Canvas, they have a few branches around from the metro ....I used it to make my DIY screen...

Offline mheloy

• Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: Mar 17, 2006 at 04:21 PM »
kahit anong color pwede?

Offline Kato

• Collector
  • Carpe Diem!
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: Mar 17, 2006 at 07:43 PM »
Thanks Munskie, Matzter and Jambam! Block out cloth it is. :)

Hi Mheloy, the ideal enviroment for a projector room is to use dark colors with matte/flat finishes for walls and drapes. Essentially, the logic behind this is the more colors in the light spectrum the material absorbs (i.e., black absorbs all colors in the spectrum), the lesser the amount of light it reflects back to the screen. This is kinda similar in concept to room acoustics where you try to avoid reflected sound and other aberrations by using ceiling/wall/floor acoustic treatments. Of course, this ideal dark room setup won't be practical or visually pleasing for most of us normal people with normal interiors and normal houses ;)
« Last Edit: Mar 17, 2006 at 09:12 PM by Kato »

Offline mheloy

• Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: Mar 17, 2006 at 09:31 PM »
Thanks Munskie, Matzter and Jambam! Block out cloth it is. :)

Hi Mheloy, the ideal enviroment for a projector room is to use dark colors with matte/flat finishes for walls and drapes. Essentially, the logic behind this is the more colors in the light spectrum the material absorbs (i.e., black absorbs all colors in the spectrum), the lesser the amount of light it reflects back to the screen. This is kinda similar in concept to room acoustics where you try to avoid reflected sound and other aberrations by using ceiling/wall/floor acoustic treatments. Of course, this ideal dark room setup won't be practical or visually pleasing for most of us normal people with normal interiors and normal houses ;)

black... hmmm parang di bagay sa akin.... kasi yung family room ko is my HT room also...
paano kaya ito?

Offline Kato

• Collector
  • Carpe Diem!
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: Mar 17, 2006 at 09:51 PM »
black... hmmm parang di bagay sa akin.... kasi yung family room ko is my HT room also...
paano kaya ito?

Black is just the ideal color. But, personally, di ko rin kaya gumamit ng black or very dark colors sa room. As long as I can control the lighting of the room and don't have anything light colored or reflective near the screen, okay na sakin. Yung mga serious lang talaga sa dedicated HT rooms ang gagawa nun ;D

Offline ricky

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Duh?
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: Mar 18, 2006 at 02:25 AM »
Black is just the ideal color. But, personally, di ko rin kaya gumamit ng black or very dark colors sa room. As long as I can control the lighting of the room and don't have anything light colored or reflective near the screen, okay na sakin. Yung mga serious lang talaga sa dedicated HT rooms ang gagawa nun ;D

Actually shell canvass has 2 types of block out cloth.Special(280) and regular(175) per meter of 54" width. the  regular one is made of leatherete gray color on one side and the reverse is either white or cream colored. The special one comes in assortment of colors that you can already use as your main curtain while the reverse is only white.I accompanied san migph there the other week to buy stuff for his ht project ;D And as for full protection for sunlights it is better to make oversized curtains using traverse curtain rods rather than the roller-up or roman shade type of construction bec the light will still pass thru this type of shade thru the sides and in between panels if you will put up more than one.

As for the side curtains for accoustic treatment,dont ever use white,cream,or any pastel colored curtains near the screen bec it can really distract you esp on bright scenes, try to use earth tone colors like mocha or brown,or any dark colors that will suit the interiors of your ht area :) 

Offline MAtZTER

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: Mar 18, 2006 at 01:04 PM »

An alternative would be to use dark brown (wenge) varnished walls near the screen. Although IME, magastos sa labor pag varnish. It took our workers so long just to finish small sections of the wood panels. I was so tempted to bring out a whip and start hurrying them through it.  ;D

Wha PAKK!!!
« Last Edit: Mar 21, 2006 at 02:53 PM by MAtZTER »

Offline jaytl

• Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: Mar 19, 2006 at 10:33 PM »
im thinking of getting an entry-level projector like epson which is a bestseller in amazon for entry-level projectors. aside from the cost of the projector itself, how much are the other extra costs in setting up a projector at home? i'm just weighing the costs if it's worth it to set-up a projector instead of an lcd, a slimfit crt.

for projector screen?
for tv tuner?
mount kit for projector?

thanks!

Offline Dracula

• DVD Addict
  • There is a choice...death or immortality....
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: Mar 21, 2006 at 01:26 PM »
I can't decide PJ or Projection TV?

Here is the dilemma my personal taste dictates a PJ but sadly  :'( the room I can use for HT may be too small, the wife also wants two guests rooms, (Width 3 meters, Length is 3.4 meters) and so the HT gears might end up in the living room (I've seen it and there's no way I can control the light and as Matz pointed out I don't want to watch dvds only at night (especially since the neighbours may have a problem with this :P) so I'm considering setting up in the living room and getting a samsung 42L6 or a Hitachi 47" RPTV.

The wife and I are thinking of expanding the house to accomodate a dedicated HT room (but not in the forseeable future).  So my plan is this, buy a RPTV then wait for the dedicated HT room before I go for the PJ.

Is it a sound plan? Your comments would be greatly appreciated Thanks!

Offline Munskie

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HighDef Enthusiast
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: Mar 21, 2006 at 01:37 PM »
I can't decide PJ or Projection TV?

Here is the dilemma my personal taste dictates a PJ but sadly  :'( the room I can use for HT may be too small, the wife also wants two guests rooms, (Width 3 meters, Length is 3.4 meters) and so the HT gears might end up in the living room (I've seen it and there's no way I can control the light and as Matz pointed out I don't want to watch dvds only at night (especially since the neighbours may have a problem with this :P) so I'm considering setting up in the living room and getting a samsung 42L6 or a Hitachi 47" RPTV.

The wife and I are thinking of expanding the house to accomodate a dedicated HT room (but not in the forseeable future).  So my plan is this, buy a RPTV then wait for the dedicated HT room before I go for the PJ.

Is it a sound plan? Your comments would be greatly appreciated Thanks!
  hey dracula!!  its a very sound plan sir....you could buy the RPTV now and just wait for the dedicated HT room.  Though i think kakasya pa ang PJ (and its screen size)with a small room, the deciding factor is the HT gears.  Where they go, the PJ must follow.  And according to you, you cant control the light at the living room....kaya be patient muna.....in the meantime, you could research HT topics about planning sa HT room (wiring/cable management, acoustics etc)   ;D