Author Topic: Projection TV or Projector?  (Read 4438 times)

Offline Dracula

• Trade Count: (0)
  • DVD Addict
  • There is a choice...death or immortality....
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Projection TV or Projector?
« Reply #30 on: Mar 21, 2006 at 02:50 PM »

hey dracula!!  its a very sound plan sir....you could buy the RPTV now and just wait for the dedicated HT room.  Though i think kakasya pa ang PJ (and its screen size)with a small room, the deciding factor is the HT gears.  Where they go, the PJ must follow.  And according to you, you cant control the light at the living room....kaya be patient muna.....in the meantime, you could research HT topics about planning sa HT room (wiring/cable management, acoustics etc)   ;D

OO nga ako din feel ko kakasya pero the wife wants a proper HT room hindi yung pilit so who am I to go against a wife with reasoning like that! ;D

Offline MAtZTER

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • More POWER to your HT! literally ...
  • Liked:
« Reply #31 on: Mar 21, 2006 at 03:07 PM »
Drac, since you mentioned you have a guest room, why not make the guest room a dedicated HT/ guest room? This way you can maximize your space and room usage. Its all in the planning and design...and how desperate you are to have a HT room (like me  ;D).

My Living room/ HT room is merely 12 sq. m. (2.9 x 4.2m) and could double as a guest room based from my design of the place and the sofa that could be used as a bed. A 3x3.5m room could still accomodate a PJ with smaller screen (depending on window & door location) but your sofa bed would most probably be flushed to the back wall. And probably only 5.1 system would be best.

That is unless, an elderly person is designated for the guest room... I got reminded of the THX intro with Grandpa Simpson shouting "TURN IT UP! TURN IT UP!"  ;D ;D
« Last Edit: Mar 21, 2006 at 03:14 PM by MAtZTER »

Offline iceman90a

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • DVD Guru
  • picture this!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #32 on: Mar 21, 2006 at 03:19 PM »
i feel your pain...

in my case - the only room i can black out is our bedroom, the display will be literally at the foot of our bed ;D with crappy audio from a cheap 2.1 electone system connected to the dvd

my living room already houses my audio set-up and the only time i will be able to use a projector there would be at night :( (hmmm diana krall live in paris concert via tube amps ;D)

the den which holds my HT already has a tv, i'll remove it to project the display at the wall behind it so i can enjoy surround sound + but again only at night or late afternoon

but after considering all this - i'm still saving up for a PJ ;D
money is best spent

Offline Dracula

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #33 on: Mar 21, 2006 at 03:44 PM »
Drac, since you mentioned you have a guest room, why not make the guest room a dedicated HT/ guest room? This way you can maximize your space and room usage. Its all in the planning and design...and how desperate you are to have a HT room (like me  ;D).

My Living room/ HT room is merely 12 sq. m. (2.9 x 4.2m) and could double as a guest room based from my design of the place and the sofa that could be used as a bed. A 3x3.5m room could still accomodate a PJ with smaller screen (depending on window & door location) but your sofa bed would most probably be flushed to the back wall. And probably only 5.1 system would be best.

That is unless, an elderly person is designated for the guest room... I got reminded of the THX intro with Grandpa Simpson shouting "TURN IT UP! TURN IT UP!"  ;D ;D

I'll consider this tingnan ko na lang when we move into the house, I'll try cutting a dummy screen out of carboard and see if the size is ok for the room....kaya lang baka sa HT room na lang kami matulog ng wife ko palagi.....hehe

Offline jambam

• Trade Count: (+51)
  • DVD Addict
  • I love Tech toys
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 12
« Reply #34 on: Mar 21, 2006 at 03:54 PM »
Here is the dilemma my personal taste dictates a PJ but sadly   the room I can use for HT may be too small, the wife also wants two guests rooms, (Width 3 meters, Length is 3.4 meters) and so the HT gears might end up in the living room (I've seen it and there's no way I can control the light and as Matz pointed

I have a similar issue , my current pj is in the living and as you said light control is an issue. I really get the best picture at night time only , and my other issue is space of course... So my current screen is a  60 in DIY diagonal , and because it is relatively a small screen for a PJ . It's still a very watchable alternative for me, even though I don't get total darkness during daytime.

But my timeframe is closer , i hope to be able to move into a bigger space by year's end and have a dedicated room

Offline nerveblocker

• Trade Count: (+98)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • DTS-HD Master Audio!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 247
« Reply #35 on: Mar 21, 2006 at 06:33 PM »
My sofa is a sofa bed in the HT room just in case guests might want to sleep over....they get the best room in the house viewing in front projection lying down...the best!!! ;D ;D ;D

Offline bravoexo

• DVD Addict
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #36 on: Apr 05, 2006 at 04:23 AM »
Hi there, gurus.  I already have a 55" RPTV and it's awesome.  Kaso it's in smack middle of a 10m x 7 m Dining/Living room area.  Which I think would be perfect for a 100-150" Projection screen... he he he (laki ng wall kasi... he he he) 

Sony KDL-55W904A, HK AVR330, DAV-DZ950, Xbox One, 360 and PS3, Wharfedale Diamond 8.4, PSW110

Offline iceman90a

• DVD Guru
  • picture this!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #37 on: Apr 05, 2006 at 02:44 PM »
Projector for me ;D i blacked out the bedroom for daytime viewing , and when night falls i can bring it to the living room ;D
money is best spent

Offline MAtZTER

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #38 on: Apr 05, 2006 at 03:03 PM »
Welcome to the AE900 club Vince!  :D

Offline iceman90a

• DVD Guru
  • picture this!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #39 on: Apr 05, 2006 at 03:43 PM »
thanks Matt!

unfortunately for me - i dont have a dedicated HT room. its ironic in fact - because the room where my HT set up is, is the only room i can't set the projector up :(

pinag iisipan ko pa ng mabuti kung ano magagawa sa maliit kong bahay
money is best spent

Offline jerix

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • got no golden ears...just loving music
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 70
« Reply #40 on: Apr 06, 2006 at 02:08 PM »
bros, the PJ stays at the back area, while the player is usually in front and near the amp / receiver and the screen -- so hows your video cable management in this setup? i assume that the farther the PJ to the player, the longer the cable would be. if cable length is an issue in audio, isnt this also true with video ? tnx
Samsung65MU6303/TCL4kPS49TV/OnkSR608/OnkTXNR676/Marantz/Akai/Sansui/PrjEssential-II

Offline nerveblocker

• Trade Count: (+98)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • DTS-HD Master Audio!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 247
« Reply #41 on: Apr 06, 2006 at 02:53 PM »
I do not know issues regarding this but if you want to shorten your cable length then setup your DVD player and receiver beside you with the PJ on top of you or at the back near the projector i.e. if you have space.   ;D

I still have my DVD player and receiver up front where I first set it up when I still had my CRT TV.  I am happy with it.  I wouldn't go through all the hassle of transferring all of my gear nearer to my pj just to see any difference in quality.  I just invested in long cables.  I have the VGA-RGB cables, S-video and composite cables all attached to my pj with the cables running the length of my room.  I just hid them behind my DVD rack.   ;)

Offline MAtZTER

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #42 on: Apr 07, 2006 at 02:59 PM »
I also considered the option of putting the receiver and the dvd player at the back during my renovation. this was due to the shocking cost (that time) of very long HDMI cables.

I resorted to a long component cable (P350+/m) instead. I found it awkward to point the remote to the back whenever I have to forward or rewind (to those sexy scenes ;D). And most importantly the cost for wiring my fronts & center (5 cables @P400+/m, abt P15k est.) would be overwhelming to my budget if I resorted to putting the gears at the front. It was cheaper to use a good component cable.

2 members have gone to my place w/ their HDMI DVD players to compare the HDMI vs component cable PQ. The difference was not discernable. So until the coming of Bluray and HD, I would stick to component cable for now.
« Last Edit: Nov 15, 2006 at 02:32 PM by MAtZTER »

Offline JT

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • GOD RULES!!!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 13
« Reply #43 on: Apr 07, 2006 at 03:23 PM »
I resorted to a long component cable (P350+/m) instead. I found it awkward to point the remote to the back whenever I have to forward or rewind (to those sexy scenes ;D).

What I did was to put a dedicated dvd player w/ the projector and just use a long coaxial cable.  Pero im still pointing my remote in front.  Nag bounce yung signal and still able to control the dvd player.

Bro. Matzer,
Pero kapag sexy o mga bawal na eksena, mabuting nang mag siguro at itapat sa player ang remot. Baka di gumana yung pabanda eh lagot  ...  hehehe.   

Offline Dracula

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #44 on: Apr 07, 2006 at 03:43 PM »
Matzter saan mo nabili yung component cables?

Offline MAtZTER

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #45 on: Apr 07, 2006 at 03:57 PM »
Dracula: Sound Dimension

JT:  ;D

Offline ericag_ph

• DVD Addict
  • Oompa Loompas rule!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #46 on: Jul 17, 2006 at 12:57 PM »

For around P70K
========-----=
Projection TV = 42 inches? maybe less, will last 10 years easily.

Projector = P78K (Panasonic AE900), = 120+ inches at 4 meters distance, will last 3000 hours if you take care of it.

SIZE DOES MATTER (ie. Godzilla)....
so I went with a projector (AE700, 18 months ago, including ceiling mount P105K).

Your other (hidden) costs:

I built my own 123" (diagonal 16:9 screen using blackout cloth) = P3000. 
I also had to buy an upconverting DVD player (OPPO $199) so I can upsample the DVDs to 720p (native resolution of AE700/900 or to 1080i.

and a surge protector and UPS in case of brown outs (P5000). 

You also need to blackout all windows if you want to watch in the morning.  (Need curtains with blackout cloth behind them).
Blinds/curtains will not be enough if light still passes through.  The blackout cloth cost me P3000 to cover all windows.

Finally you will buy orig DVDs ($P$P$) ....fakes don't look nice on such a large screen....unless they are really good copies.

Enjoyment factor of a 123 " screen = 100%

Offline ericag_ph

• DVD Addict
  • Oompa Loompas rule!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #47 on: Jul 17, 2006 at 01:02 PM »

I should mention, I will not bother buying a replacement bulb...about $300 (overseas) or P35000 locally :(

We only watch on the large 123" screen for movies usually not DVD TV series or cable TV.

You should look at LED Projectors  (not LCD, not DLP), they last 10,000-20,000 hours, but resolution is only 800x600 and cost about less than $1000.  Prices will drop, and technology will improve. 

By the time my projector lamp burns out in 4 years (only have about 800 hours on it after 18 months of use), I'll probably buy an LED Projector and sell the old one.

Offline ericag_ph

• DVD Addict
  • Oompa Loompas rule!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #48 on: Jul 17, 2006 at 01:51 PM »

Oh one more thing.... a 60" LCD/Plasma/DLP TV (about P165,000 for LCD/Plasma)
is just 1/4 of my viewable screen size.

Offline ericag_ph

• DVD Addict
  • Oompa Loompas rule!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #49 on: Jul 17, 2006 at 02:19 PM »
At the rear:  Projector + DVD = 5meter HDMI  (cheap, see Monoprice.com) and 5meter Component.
At the front:  Receiver

Therefore DVD to Receiver = 12meter 75ohm COAX RG6.

I wasn't planning on a projector, so I got my wires messed-up.  I even have AWG12 wires running inside the concrete walls for the speakers to the rear.

HDMI cables are cheaper now...used to be around $200 for 5meters.  ACE Hardware has HDMI 3meters I think (P800)

btw, my HT room pictures:
http://pinoydvd.com/board/index.php?topic=55046.msg601343#msg601343

bros, the PJ stays at the back area, while the player is usually in front and near the amp / receiver and the screen -- so hows your video cable management in this setup? i assume that the farther the PJ to the player, the longer the cable would be. if cable length is an issue in audio, isnt this also true with video ? tnx
« Last Edit: Jul 18, 2006 at 12:22 AM by ericag_ph »

Offline MAtZTER

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #50 on: Oct 27, 2006 at 11:02 AM »
Points to consider before getting a PJ:

1.) Ambient lighting: Lighting must be controlled
2.) Cable management: PJ's will have long video cables so know how to manage them
And last, and importantly (often forgotten)
3.) No more pirated DVDs: p***ted DVD's are still ok w/ rear projection TV (50" in my case)  but are unbearable w/ big screen PJ's.
« Last Edit: Oct 27, 2006 at 11:19 AM by MAtZTER »

Offline Munskie

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • HighDef Enthusiast
  • Liked:
« Reply #51 on: Oct 27, 2006 at 12:33 PM »
projection TV gives you some flexibility like cable tv watching....but the WOW factor that a front PJ provides is priceless...... ;)

Offline frootloops

• Kagawad
  • Trade Count: (+252)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 19
« Reply #52 on: Oct 27, 2006 at 10:16 PM »
but the WOW factor that a front PJ provides is priceless...... ;)

Priceless indeed. So now, no one at home wants to watch movie in our conventional TV. As what my 4yr old daughter would always say " Daddy, I want to watch in the big screen..."  ;D

Offline ricky

• Trade Count: (+68)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Duh?
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 544
« Reply #53 on: Oct 27, 2006 at 10:43 PM »
Priceless indeed. So now, no one at home wants to watch movie in our conventional TV. As what my 4yr old daughter would always say " Daddy, I want to watch in the big screen..."  ;D

;D same here bro  ;D

Offline MAtZTER

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #54 on: Oct 28, 2006 at 11:57 AM »

Starting @ 1 & 1/2 yrs old, my son would excitedly sit at our couch and point to the PJ screen and call me to roll it down. So amusing. He also claps when I do roll down the screen. Sometimes, he even gets his own Barney DVD's and motion me to the PJ, LOL ;D

He also learned to use the aircon remote and was practicing w/ the other A/V remotes @ below 1 yr old.
« Last Edit: Oct 28, 2006 at 12:00 PM by MAtZTER »

Offline chiemonyo

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #55 on: Oct 28, 2006 at 01:10 PM »
Starting @ 1 & 1/2 yrs old, my son would excitedly sit at our couch and point to the PJ screen and call me to roll it down. So amusing. He also claps when I do roll down the screen. Sometimes, he even gets his own Barney DVD's and motion me to the PJ, LOL ;D

He also learned to use the aircon remote and was practicing w/ the other A/V remotes @ below 1 yr old.

nakupo!!!!  :o
prepare yourself na Sir Matz for a hardcore gaming den.. malamang dun babagsak ang unang stage sa AV world ng anak mo... ;D ;D

Offline MAtZTER

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #56 on: Nov 15, 2006 at 02:33 PM »
Dont know where to mount your front PJ?

Saw this recently and its a great idea.

Offline jvm

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #57 on: Jan 16, 2007 at 01:54 PM »
Any comment on Sony's 3LCD RPTV's?

Offline CocoBoy

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • DVD Addict
  • Be Happy..............
  • Liked:
« Reply #58 on: Jan 16, 2007 at 02:17 PM »
Dont know where to mount your front PJ?

Saw this recently and its a great idea.

I have let go of this set-up for fear that the kids will knock off the PJ ;D.

Coco
ALA EH!!