Author Topic: Pinoy Idol  (Read 32949 times)

Offline Klaus Weasley

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 512
Re: Philippine Idol
« Reply #120 on: Sep 17, 2006 at 10:36 AM »
I sneaked in a few more votes for Mau. I don't blame the producers for "over-selling" her. It's very obvious the reason she didn't get through the first time is that Filipinos are not used to dark-skinned, slightly overweight singers who aren't playing funny or who aren't American. They tend to vote for the cute, petite mestizas.

If Suey gets put through, I'm quitting PI.

Offline SPaCeMaN SPiFF

• Trade Count: (0)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #121 on: Sep 17, 2006 at 11:07 AM »
... Filipinos are not used to dark-skinned, slightly overweight singers who aren't playing funny or who aren't American. They tend to vote for the cute, petite mestizas.

if that's the case, how come ynah didn't get through? hell, she's probably twice the singer jelli will ever be. LOL. (si kuya germs kasi!...  :P)

Offline garfield_3199

• Collector
  • Votre vie vraie est celle que vous avez.
  • Liked:
« Reply #122 on: Sep 17, 2006 at 10:14 PM »
The look on Mr. C's face after the 2nd female finalist was announced.... PRICELESS!The look says it all for me. The way he was shaking his head before Francis spoke for his message was exactly what I did.
  :-[

Ken??? WTH?? If it was based on last night's performance, he was definitely the lowest in my ranking.

No Ira??? Hellloooooooo???????

Buti na lang, PASOK si MAU! But the girl really has guts.. to actually say on national TV that "hindi ito pagalingan, but pagandahan!" Or something to that sort. She hit the nail on the head on that point! Talent and Guts... a very good combination. IMO.
« Last Edit: Sep 17, 2006 at 10:38 PM by garfield_3199 »

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 20
« Reply #123 on: Sep 17, 2006 at 10:20 PM »
I think the Philippines got ONE out of four right, based on last night's performances. Thank God it was Mau.

I didn't think any of the guys were any good last night, actually, but the two that sucked least were eliminated.

Ken's performance was hands down the worst I've seen of any semifinalist on ANY Idol franchise - and I've watched quite a number of them.

Pilita's "promise to lose weight" comment would've created such a negative press backlash against her if she had uttered that as a judge on American Idol. Although I could sort of see her point. Having Stef and Mau standing side-by-side was like seeing a pair of Pinay Mandisas.  ;D
Mr. Hankey the Christmas Poo... He loves me, I love you...

Offline garfield_3199

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #124 on: Sep 17, 2006 at 10:39 PM »
I didn't think any of the guys were any good last night, actually, but the two that sucked least were eliminated.

i totally agree with you!

Offline torque

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • DVD Addict
  • break the cycle!
  • Liked:
« Reply #125 on: Sep 18, 2006 at 12:02 PM »
I voted for Mau 8 times. Thank God she made it to the Top12  ;D

I also wanted Ira to be in the Top12 but I only voted for her 2 times...my priority is Mau  ;)

Go POW!!!  ;D
Go MAU!!!  ;D

Offline Quitacet

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 65
« Reply #126 on: Sep 18, 2006 at 02:01 PM »
I will watch PI as long as Mau is in the competition (mga dalawang linggo na lang). After that, bye bye PI.

I wouldn't watch Jelli sing even if you pay me!

Offline rascal101

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Naraniag nga aldaw kinyayo amin
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 41
« Reply #127 on: Sep 18, 2006 at 03:03 PM »
In the 2 - 3 times I have watched the show, it stroke me that Francis M. does not know what he is talking about. His use of general praises show neither insight nor correct interpretation of a performance. Perhaps he should confine himself with rap.

Offline blitzkrieg

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • DVD Guru
  • Shut up!!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #128 on: Sep 18, 2006 at 10:47 PM »
In the 2 - 3 times I have watched the show, it stroke me that Francis M. does not know what he is talking about. His use of general praises show neither insight nor correct interpretation of a performance. Perhaps he should confine himself with rap.

d**n right!! Francis M. has no right to sit as a judge and he's NOT doing his job.. His persona and antics are similar to those he project in Eat Bulaga, so downright crass! If anyone knows Francis M. in person, please refer him to this site and browse this thread for his information and further education!

MAU is my girl (I texted 20 times for her, 10 for IRA and RAMIRR)!  Not because she's the underdog but because she's the REAL THING in this batch. Not even the combined powers of Pow, Jeli, Apple, Stef and that over-acting Armarie (frankly, she should be the 1st to go, 2nd Jeli!) could topple her lung-power. She even has better fashion sense than the rest of the girls.

Let's us not cease supporting MAU. She's the only one who could raise the show's level of competition. Forget the rest!

« Last Edit: Sep 18, 2006 at 10:55 PM by blitzkrieg »

Offline aligonzales

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #129 on: Sep 19, 2006 at 03:27 PM »
It is very frustrating to see the results of PI voting. The same process is done on all IDOL franchises around the world, 100% of the decision on who wins  is based on the telephony (SMS or landline) votes. Sadly, most Filipinos do not know how to vote WISELY! This is true even in politics. In Philippine politics, popular and good looking actors/actresses win over more credible and well educated public servants! Who are to blame? The VOTERS! Another thing, if you have more money, you have a bigger chance of winning against your opponent. So I would not be surprised if Philippine Idol turns out the same. Imaging Jeli or Mig being the first Philippine Idol? That would really suck! But hey, Erap won the Presidency a few years back. Sabi nga nila, ONLY IN THE PHILIPPINES! If you are a contestant, and your father is a billionaire, it wouldn't hurt shedding out a million pesos to buy votes! Sure winner ka na hindi ka pa kumakanta!

But inspite of my being cynical about PI, I will continue to support PI knowing I can do something about it in my own little way to help PI succeed. I will vote for the more deserving candidates. I am calling on all PI fans to join me please. Let the millionaires spend their money for their candidate. I believe if we join forces, we can win over those vote buyers!   
« Last Edit: Sep 19, 2006 at 03:28 PM by aligonzales »

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
« Reply #130 on: Sep 24, 2006 at 02:42 PM »
Did you guys catch last night's show?

MTRCB Chairman La Guardia was in the audience. Ryan Agoncillo asked a contestant to tell a joke after her performance. Her joke was: "Alam niyo ba, kung malaki daw ang SU, malaki din ang PEK?"

Chairman La Guardia's jaw dropped, and she looked like she had just burst an aneurysm. Ryan A. turned beet red, and screamed something like, "Diyos ko! Sana puwedeng bumuka na ang lupa at kainin ako!"

Then the contestant clarified: "Totoo naman e. Kung malaki ang SUGAT, malaki din ang PEKLAT."

;D
« Last Edit: Sep 24, 2006 at 02:43 PM by Mr. Hankey »

Offline halvert

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • DVD Guru
  • kiss me you fool!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 478
« Reply #131 on: Sep 25, 2006 at 06:10 PM »
i initially hated the concept of a kakaibang idol till i saw yova was a contestant. while she wobbled in parts, she was still way better than some of the people who actually made it to the top 12. what a shame, oh well. ryan cayabyab did say yova would be a big star someday! also, i actually liked the guest judges, arnell ignacio, ethel booba and tuesday vargas. arnell and tuesday can actually replace francis m and pilita.

Offline SPaCeMaN SPiFF

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #132 on: Sep 25, 2006 at 09:33 PM »
while she (yova) wobbled in parts, she was still way better than some of the people who actually made it to the top 12.

i was thinking the exact same thing... their group number pretty much proved that.  :-[

... arnell ignacio, ethel booba and tuesday vargas. arnell and tuesday can actually replace francis m and pilita.

that's somewhat true. arnell, ethel and (sige na nga...) tuesday are also quite formidable singers in their own rights. ethel and arnel are veterans in the "videoke bar" circuit and tuesday has some theater training. ;D
« Last Edit: Sep 27, 2006 at 02:45 PM by SPaCeMaN SPiFF »

Offline halvert

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • DVD Guru
  • kiss me you fool!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 478
« Reply #133 on: Sep 27, 2006 at 01:06 PM »
^ thanks for being diplomatic spiff ;D i don't mean that tuesday and arnel can compete with pilita and francis sa credentials pero pagdating sa sensible but entertaining comments, mas ok pa yung 2 guest judges. Pilita and kiko are so safe and generic...more guest judges!

Offline GC

• Collector
  • sparc
  • Liked:
« Reply #134 on: Sep 27, 2006 at 06:25 PM »
natawa ako nung kumanta si francis m....  ;D

Sana ni-rap nalang nya yung kanta.  ;D  ;D  ;D
Pro Deo et Patria

Offline Klaus Weasley

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #135 on: Sep 30, 2006 at 11:41 PM »
Was Philippine Idol on tonight? Our cable TV (SkyCable) is still out until now (due to the typhoons and all) and the only channels that are watchable without the cable is 2 and 7 so I was unable to see it tonight. What happened?

Offline SPaCeMaN SPiFF

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #136 on: Oct 01, 2006 at 07:33 AM »
yes it was on... and i imagine ken (being the "iyakin" he himself admitted to being) cried his eyes out after mr. c basically said he sang without any hint of emotion and that his attempts at vocal acrobatics made him sing out of tune.

seriously, seeing ken try to keep his composure after mr. c tore him apart was the HIGHLIGHT of my evening! ha ha! (the poor guy was so rattled that he even said he was "very happy" with the judges' comments... lol.)

for me... best female performer that night, hands down, was MAU (followed by ARMS) ... best male performer was REYMOND (with GIAN coming a close second... i know, i'm as shocked as you are.)

who needs to go? KEN! (... to be followed next week by MIGUEL or STEF.  ::))
« Last Edit: Oct 01, 2006 at 07:36 AM by SPaCeMaN SPiFF »

Offline oggsmoggs

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • oggsmoggs.blogspot.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #137 on: Oct 01, 2006 at 09:32 AM »
Here's what I thought:

Top 4 Singers:
Gian
Mau
Pow
Reymond

Really Didn't Care for the Other Singers...

Bottom 3 Singers
Miguel
Stef
Ken

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
« Reply #138 on: Oct 01, 2006 at 10:00 AM »
Here's what I thought:

Bottom 3 Singers
Miguel
Stef
Ken

Agree 100%. I think Mr. C's "It was devoid of any feeling whatsoever" was a Simon-worthy comment on Ken's awful performance.

I found Mau/Reymond to be the standouts last night.

ABC-5 really needs to replace Francis M. I think his one and only comment which he told each and every performer was a variation of "You have the potential to be the Philippine Idol." I love it when he tells contestants they very sang well, then you hear Mr. C telling the same performer it was a very bad/uneven performance just a few seconds later.

Offline Klaus Weasley

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #139 on: Oct 01, 2006 at 10:01 AM »
What was the theme last night?

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
« Reply #140 on: Oct 01, 2006 at 10:05 AM »
What was the theme last night?

OPM Hits that you're dedicating to someone.
« Last Edit: Oct 01, 2006 at 10:09 AM by Mr. Hankey »

Offline garfield_3199

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #141 on: Oct 01, 2006 at 08:07 PM »

ABC-5 really needs to replace Francis M. I think his one and only comment which he told each and every performer was a variation of "You have the potential to be the Philippine Idol." I love it when he tells contestants they very sang well, then you hear Mr. C telling the same performer it was a very bad/uneven performance just a few seconds later.

I totally agree with you on this. Francis cannot seem to give a good insight nor right critique on the performances. If we listen to him, we're going to end up with a 12-way tie. I also relish the moments when he  would praise the performance of the contestant only to hear Mr. C shoot it down later. Pilita on the other hand cannot seem to decide whether she is judging a beauty or a personality contest or a singing contest.
« Last Edit: Oct 01, 2006 at 08:09 PM by garfield_3199 »

Offline Lex Luthor

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #142 on: Oct 02, 2006 at 09:58 AM »
who was eliminated last night? it's supposed to be results night, right?

Offline SPaCeMaN SPiFF

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #143 on: Oct 02, 2006 at 10:39 AM »
^ no one... due to the power outage caused by the storm and problems with the cellular service providers, elminations was postponed to next week. two idol contestants will be eliminated and what little votes were cast this week will be carried over to then.

for those who missed last saturday's performance night... abc 5 will replay it within this week... thursday, right? (can't really remember at the moment.)
« Last Edit: Oct 02, 2006 at 10:47 AM by SPaCeMaN SPiFF »

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
« Reply #144 on: Oct 02, 2006 at 12:29 PM »
The text malfunction was true: Using Globe, I tried to vote for Mau repeatedly yesterday afternoon, and all I got was "Message Sending Failed" notes. My votes did go through from Smart, and for the Globe phone, they finally went through during the last 15 minutes of voting last night.

But what ABC did is really unfair:

1. If the last two they told were safe were actually the bottom two, dehado na sila for next week's show, since they'll need double the number of votes to get out of the bottom two slots.

2. If they aren't the bottom two (I don't recall Ryan A ever using the term "Bottom Two"), then they were made to go through hell for nothing - Arms and Mau did not deserve that kind of mental torture. They were already trembling and weeping.

The correct thing to do would've been similar to ABS-CBN's actions whenever a Big Brother/PDA vote is suddenly invalid: donate the text revenues to charity, then start over. Have a special show with the contestants performing the same songs then opening voting for another 24 hour period - like what happened on American Idol when wrong numbers were flashed on screens last season.

Carrying over votes then eliminating two people the following week just practically guarantees the current bottom two that they will both be eliminated this coming Sunday.

I hope the bottom two weren't really Arms & Mau, and that they were just made to go through that "for effect."

Offline SPaCeMaN SPiFF

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #145 on: Oct 02, 2006 at 05:04 PM »
Have a special show with the contestants performing the same songs then opening voting for another 24 hour period - like what happened on American Idol when wrong numbers were flashed on screens last season.

i thought AI voting was only open for 2 hours immediately after the show?  ???

i know other idol franchises open for roughly 24 hours too... is AI the only one that has such a short voting period?
« Last Edit: Oct 02, 2006 at 05:07 PM by SPaCeMaN SPiFF »

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
« Reply #146 on: Oct 02, 2006 at 06:02 PM »
i thought AI voting was only open for 2 hours immediately after the show?  ???

Yeah, what I meant was, everyone performs again, then same normal voting period after the repeat performance show - with the new, legal results show airing next.

i know other idol franchises open for roughly 24 hours too... is AI the only one that has such a short voting period?

I suppose that's related to the size of their voting population compared to that of other countries.
« Last Edit: Oct 02, 2006 at 08:25 PM by Mr. Hankey »

Offline SPaCeMaN SPiFF

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #147 on: Oct 03, 2006 at 02:17 AM »
^ ahhhh... okay. yeah, i think that's not such a bad idea. personally, i don't really mind how they handled this. in hindsight kasi, if they did what "dos" did... they'd be labelled as copycats. LOL.

so that means the bigger the possible voting population the shorter the time? how strange. you'd think they at least open it longer so that they'd make more money AND prevent such surprising results (like what happened to jennifer hudson).

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
« Reply #148 on: Oct 03, 2006 at 10:22 AM »
After American Idol's 2nd (or 3rd?) season, the landline votes became Toll-Free, while votes via SMS were "by standard SMS rates only." Walang patong! So voting really wasn't income-generating for them anymore. They're the #1 show in the #1 market, so I guess they make more than enough from their commercials already.  ;D

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
« Reply #149 on: Oct 07, 2006 at 11:54 PM »
Well, something I never thought I'd say on this thread:

Apple was the best performer of the night.

Arms was pretty bad, while Mau was surprisingly average: She performed her song effortlessly; however, that tune needed to be belted, so she clearly missed the mark.

I liked Mr. C's comment to one of the guys: "You know that song 'Play That Funky Music White Boy'? That was you. Your performance was so white." Not the best thing to hear during the week when the theme is Soul Night.  ;D

How Ken and Miguel made the Top 12 gets less and less clear every week.

I'm not voting this week at all. No one impressed me enough to get even just 2.50 from me.  ::)
« Last Edit: Oct 07, 2006 at 11:56 PM by Mr. Hankey »