Author Topic: Sony DVP-NS76H (with HDMI & DivX Playback)  (Read 2353 times)

Offline aeris30

• Trade Count: (0)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Sony DVP-NS76H (with HDMI & DivX Playback)
« on: Apr 23, 2006 at 05:03 PM »
Got hold of Sony's brochure Sony Summer Pleasures 06 from AVID at gateway mall. Included on Sony's line-up of new dvd players coming soon is the:

Sony DVP-NS76H SRP Php9,999

Features:
Precision Cinema Progressive 12bit/108Mhz Video DAC
DVD/MP3/JPEG/DivX Playback
720p/1081i Up-Scaling
HDMI Output x 1

Offline espi

• Collector
  • Waddup?!
  • Liked:
Re: Sony DVP-NS76H (with HDMI & DivX Playback)
« Reply #1 on: Jul 10, 2006 at 11:20 PM »
any updates on this unit? is this available locally na?
Ye Boy! :p

Offline turismo1997

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 256
« Reply #2 on: Jul 10, 2006 at 11:42 PM »
meron na ako nakita sa sm makati appliance center. 9999 php

Offline espi

• Collector
  • Waddup?!
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: Jul 11, 2006 at 09:15 PM »
i see.

may reviews na po ba sa unit to? specially now that i saw on the other thread that the latest form pioneer is going to be released na.
Ye Boy! :p

Offline golp

• Apprentice
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: Jul 26, 2006 at 10:26 AM »
I have a 29" Sony DB29M60 HDTV, would this player have a better pq on it
if it plays standard dvds? 

Offline firewired

• Kapitan
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7
« Reply #5 on: Jul 27, 2006 at 06:39 AM »
Should be very good if you use a progressive scan connection.

Based on the HT Secrets review of the NS76H's SACD-enabled sibling, the NS90V, Sony seems to be using a Mediatek chip for its entry-level players. They couldn't confirm because the identifying label on top of the chip was "scraped off", but performance was very similar to other Mediatek players and overall, well-rated.

Just noticed that the BS76H is retailing for Php9,999 which is fairly expensive IMHO. The list price of its Region1 twin, the NS75H, is US$149 but can be purchased for as low as $100. The midrange NS90V which includes SACD support is US$165 in Amazon.

Hopefully Sony Philippines comes to its senses and re-evaluates their price points.
« Last Edit: Jul 27, 2006 at 07:32 AM by firewired »
PinoyDVD: The Pinoy Digital Video & Devices Community

Offline golp

• Apprentice
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: Jul 27, 2006 at 09:54 AM »
My 29" Sony DB29M60 has no hdmi input only component.  But it can accept 720p/1080i. 

Can the NS76H dvd player upconvert to 720p/1080i via component?  Or is it only through hdmi?

Offline Moks007

• Trade Count: (+51)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Bond, James Bond
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2400
« Reply #7 on: Aug 24, 2006 at 10:06 AM »
do they sell this na sa mge appliance stores. saan meron, mukha wala pa sa mga sony stores

Offline turismo1997

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 256
« Reply #8 on: Aug 25, 2006 at 03:33 PM »
I saw one at SM Appliance Center Makati. That was last month I think.

Offline Moks007

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Bond, James Bond
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: Nov 03, 2006 at 02:22 PM »
hello anybody have this? hows the review versus the pioneer 696, which is better PQ wise, thanks

Offline Moks007

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Bond, James Bond
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: Nov 11, 2006 at 10:40 AM »
Wow I got this unit yesterday and I am very happy and satisfied. Yes there is a big difference from my pioneer 383 (ata cant remember model) which is running monster component cables. I bought it together with a hdmi cable in spectra (uk designed ata, forgot the brand). When I got home tested the Star wars Ep 3 and colors are very nice, really more alive and images are sharper, I really dont know maybe there will be improvements depending on the movie havent tried the others. What made me decide to get this player is from a recent trip in Hong Kong. I bought a chinese magazine there that compares this vs. Pioneer 696 vs panasonic S52 (ata) and the sony wins in PQ, pioneer in audio SACD..., im not sure with the panasonic. The magazine was in mandarin and had my friend translate it. hehehe. It says daw For the amount range (around 1500 hkdollar) we will be spending for these players cant expect super big improvement. Puede na daw these players for their price range. I think for 9,999 its a good buy because when you buy in the states or elsewhere and send it here its a hassle pa and I think it will almost come out the same after fee and taxes. I thought about the oppo 971 but it will cost 15 to 20 thou shipped here and base on HKFLIX parang wala insurance pa. So I decided not the get it.

Offline Moks007

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Bond, James Bond
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: Dec 02, 2006 at 11:26 AM »
ok, this will be my latest observation/experience after further testing this unit. The first day installing this unit I really noticed the colors are more vibrant and way clearer in terms of brightness. I dont know if this is good but it is really clearer. However, when I was checking the menu on my lcd the day or few days after I noticed the tv setting to my dvd was dynamic. So I switch it to standard, (the same setting as my samsung home theater, component cable setting that I use for dvd also) Then doomsday depression came....I DONT SEE ANY DIFFERENCE. I was switching disc back and forth observing details, which is really hard. The best testing is two same tvs side by side. So your eyes will capture everything. Anyway I still notice the colors in the sony is little more vibrant (trees are more green etc.) But when I was observing the face of people, I notice little more details (when I pause a persons face, seeing more wrinkles and beard, colors are more natural on the face for component. The sony hdmi setup is more reddish tan on the face and not as detail as per my observation) I really new on this so I dont know the technical terms on this or which one would be better, but most of this is based on my eye observation.

I was sooo depressed and psst off days after because I just spent 9999 for player and 2800 for hdmi cable UK brand ata. Anyway I then tested it against my pioneer 383 with puresonic component cables. I notice this setup is really grainy compared to sony hdmi. The sony hdmi wins hands down for me. So after this I was concluding that is it maybe my monster component cables making the difference. With all the things I read about monster cable being overrated and so forth in other forums, now im thinking monster cables are good as advertised. And this is just the low end of monster that I bought. Anyway Im also thinking maybe the samsung home theater dvd (the one they give with the 32 inch r71 maybe has better chipset? I really dont know) My last conclusion is the difference of the hdmi and component will only be seen maybe in 40 inch and above because I really saw a difference when I bought it at sony and they tested it in a 46 inch parang projection type lcd ata. M not sure.

Anyway yesterday deciding now what to do with my player went to avant abenson just to check out the new samsung 40 incher and I was telling the guy about my player he is insisting there is a difference hdmi and component he told me to use the PIP and check it out. When I came home and use the PIP. There I really saw the difference between the two players. A lot of difference when you see it side by side I really dont know if compressed to half page screen for both will alter the picture quality, but here I really saw how clear the sony is via hdmi versus the samsung component. Im a little relieved at the moment because Ive read great things with this unit via AVS Forum, magazine comparison testing with other players, which this unit won in terms of Picture quality. Oh well, So far Im a little relieved until someone out there (PLS HELP) with better knowledge on technical stuff will tell me that PIP is not really a way to compare these units, because maybe of compression, etc. etc. Hopefully PIP will be a good basis for comparison so I will not feel I wasted 12800 pesos on this stuff. Anyway if its not then I guess im stuck with this, a lesson learned.

Offline Moks007

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Bond, James Bond
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: Mar 12, 2007 at 06:49 PM »

Offline Moks007

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Bond, James Bond
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: Mar 12, 2007 at 07:36 PM »
http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/cgi-bin/shootout.cgi?function=search&articles=all&type=&manufacturer=5&maxprice=0&deInt=0&mpeg=0
oops let me try again, Sorry dont know how to do links, not really good at computer hehe