Author Topic: What is a Mid-Level HT Set-up? 2006 Pricing  (Read 805 times)

Offline itgbkj

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Collector
  • Home Theater and Photography tandem
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
What is a Mid-Level HT Set-up? 2006 Pricing
« on: Apr 25, 2006 at 11:30 AM »
Hi, a friend of mine asked me what comprises a mid-level set-up.  I'd like to throw this to the audience.

Please specify:  Brand Model and 2006 Pricing

Receiver -
Front Speakers -
Center Speakers -
Rear Speakers -
Center Rear (if a 6.1) -
Rear Surround (if a 7.1) -
Subwoofer -

Television Set -
DVD Player -

Total Budget: __________
Year of Quoted:

Maybe we can do this also on another thread for Entry Level and Hi-End.

Your thoughts appreciated.

Offline av_phile1

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Cheers from a movie and music lover
  • Liked:
Re: What is a Mid-Level HT Set-up? 2006 Pricing
« Reply #1 on: Apr 26, 2006 at 03:17 PM »
I think this is a rather subjective area and depends a lot on market psychographic and demographic profiles.   It's relative and every brand would have their respective entry level, mid level and flagship levels.  But across brands, what is a flagship in one could just be mid-level in another to some seasoned addicionados.    So it may be prudent to define what  market you are in. 

With the range of prices out there from as low as 3.2T to as high as 3.2million for a pair of speakers,  I would say mid-level would be somewhere between 1M and 2M for speakers.    But I am sure a lot would raise an eyebrow here and brand me an elitist.    So it  would thus be best to state the market.  For beginners and casual hobbysts, I would say the mid-level would fall between 25T to 50T for speakers.  I think the same goes for most other components, including displays.   But that's just my perception.   If you go to the seasoned or veteran hobbyst in the upscale market, 25T might not even begin to figure in their consideration for entry level.   ;D
« Last Edit: Apr 26, 2006 at 03:26 PM by av_phile1 »

Offline MAtZTER

• Trade Count: (0)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • More POWER to your HT! literally ...
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2006 at 12:20 PM »
I met some guy in Audioworld and he said his P60k Pro Ac bookshelf speaker is only "entry level" compared to others.

So there you go, Mid level/entry level is quite relative indeed.

Offline qguy

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Usher/Rythmik/S
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 66
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2006 at 12:37 PM »
Entry level - IMHO it would mean,  what is the cheapest system that yopu can get in in order to enjoy 5.1 Home theater, so I would  say a Yamaha RXV357, Small Yamaha Speakers , small yamaha subs etc....   this is your ENTRY  into the 5.1 system from Yamaha

To add an entry level 5.1 system from Yamaha may cost 30K, whereas an Entry Level from Harman Kardon will cost 50K,  both are entry level systems,  but from different brands at different cost, An entry Level from Revel will may cost you in excess of 100K,  again  these are entry levels at different cost from different brands...  Mid levels imho would be the model in somewhere between the cheapest model and the most expensive model from the SAME brand.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2006 at 12:42 PM by qguy »

Offline audiobear

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Apprentice
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2006 at 12:48 PM »
By definition an entry level is a gear which is the cheapest within a line of gear of specific brand, while a mid-level are gears which are priced higher than entry level and flagship are the best gears within the line. It's very hard to label a gear as mid-level because different brand has different price range. Like my entry level SIM2 projector which I bought for 280k is more than the flagship single chip model of IN FOCUS right now so the analogy is if for example we're talking about japanese sedan price range will be different with european sedans. It depends really whether what category you will be in. A piece of advice, it's better to buy an entry level of a good brandline than a flagship model of an inferior brand remember this and you'll be on the right track