Author Topic: E.T. 20th Yr. Edition - disc news/details  (Read 3623 times)

Offline symon

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • I've seen the groove!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
E.T. 20th Yr. Edition - disc news/details
« on: Apr 25, 2002 at 06:30 PM »
Any news on when E.T. 20th Yr. Edition (DVD) shall be released? ???

Mod's note: It's set for a Oct 22 release.

[size=-3]Preorder at Amazon:[/size]

E.T. - The Extra-Terrestrial (Widescreen CE)  $22.48  (25%), Oct 22.

E.T. - The Extra-Terrestrial Ultimate Gift Boxed Set  $52.49 (25%)
« Last Edit: Jun 26, 2002 at 08:12 PM by benny »

Offline yvette

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Apprentice
  • Hi. Check out my stuff for sale. God bless you!
  • Liked:
Re:E.T. 20th Yr. Edition
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2002 at 07:51 AM »
On the CDUniverse.Com site, it is mentioned that the E.T. DVD is going to be released this September.

http://www.cduniverse.com/promo/preordermovies.asp?style=movie&cart=121650973

Offline benny

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2002 at 02:37 AM »
News from dvdfile:

"...some big news has come from the show (Cannes), with no less than Steven Spielberg himself reportedly blabbing some details of the forthcoming E.T. - The Extra-Terrestrial Ultimate Edition, which will arrive in stores on 10/22. This planned three-disc set will include both the original 1982 theatrical release version and the 2002 20th Anniversary Edition, each on their own separate discs, plus a third disc of extras. The supplements will include hours of additional materials (some which may be familiar to the recent NBC television special that aired in March) including a number of featurettes, all-new interviews with the cast, crew, and Spielberg, outtakes, deleted scenes not included in the new version, making-of material on the new special effects, rare archival footage, excerpts from the fabled E.T. Anniversary premiere with John Williams leading a 100-piece orchestra, and Williams' complete score isolated on the DVD.

Since there's always plenty of unsubstantiated rumors floating around about every DVD these days, normally we wouldn't bother posting this kind of thing. But while Universal would not respond for this posting, we did get a confirmation from Spielberg's longtime publicist Marvin Levy and Amblin Entertainment, as well as an indication that a press release would be coming soon from Universal with the full details. So as always, stay tuned!"

Offline benny

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: Jun 09, 2002 at 03:25 AM »
Official press release has already been posted at dvdfile : Click me.

Full specs are listed on the press release. In short, there will be two editions on dvd:

E.T. Limited Collector's Edition DVD
-"two-disc set featuring the 2002 theatrical version will be available in either widescreen or full-frame for $22.95 MAP each."

E.T. Ultimate Collector's Gift Set
-"which includes the original theatrical version, the 2002 theatrical version, a CD soundtrack, a script from the original feature and a collectible senitype will be available for $69.98 SRP."

And more news:

More 'E.T.'

Given all the hubbub yesterday over the news of E.T.'s long-awaited arrival on DVD this October, we received a few more bits of info from Universal on the different releases. Yes, we're not all that happy either that those wanting the original, unaltered 1982 version of the film are going to have to shell out $70 bucks (see the press release for the full scoop), but at least it should be presented in very fine fashion...?

According to a Universal spokesperson, the 1982 cut of the film will be presented in widescreen, and although oddly worded in the press release, the $70 box set will also feature all the same extras as the two-disc special edition, nothing more, nothing less. And what about those fearing that the original cut of the film will be given the short thrift in terms of picture and sound quality compared to the 2002 re-release? Well, the original film was restored and cleaned up before the new effects were added, so both the 1982 and 2002 re-release editions should be comparable in quality. And for $70 bucks, I'd hope so! Stay tuned, but it's likely until we receive our copy, we won't know for sure...

Offline CrUzSACK

• Konsehal
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • I'm a paranoid schizophrenic. I am an entourage.
  • Liked:
Re:E.T. 20th Yr. Edition - disc news/details
« Reply #4 on: Jun 11, 2002 at 04:04 PM »

E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial: Limited Collector's Edition
- New 2002 Theatrical Version
- Includes two previously deleted scenes: "E.T. in the tub" and "E.T. drinks a Coke
- 20 Years Later with Steven Spielberg - A new exclusive intimate conversation with the Academy Award¨ winning director sharing his thoughts about the film and how E.T. changed his life.
- John Williams Live Orchestra Segment - Composer and longtime Spielberg collaborator John Williams revisits the music of E.T. for the 2002 release. A rare exclusive look at the preparation, rehearsal and live performance conducted by John Williams at the 2002 premiere is featured, including a four-minute overture and light show.
- Isolated John Williams Live Music Score - Listen to the live performance of John Williams conducting the Oscar®-winning score with a 100-piece orchestra at the 2002 Shrine Auditorium Premiere in Los Angeles.
- Space Exploration - high-tech 3-D interactive journey into space to learn about the planets in our solar system.
- The Evolution of E.T. -A 50-minute experience that takes viewers from concept to screen, examining the development of the screenplay, casting, and production with never-before-scene footage shot in 1982.
Reunion Featurette - Director Steven Spielberg, cast members Henry Thomas, Drew Barrymore, Robert McNaughton, Dee Wallace Stone, and Peter Coyote as well as film crew members reminisce about making E.T.
- E.T. Archives -An interactive environment to view hundreds of production photographs, conceptual drawings and the original advertising.
- DVD- Rom Features: E.T. Facts, Help E.T. Find His Way Home, E.T. Read Along, Total Axess - Additional bonus footage, updated continuously and available only online

Released sometime October?  I read somewhere that they were gonna release some 10,000 copies only. :o And  there's the Collector's gift set,  like Benny mentioned.   Here is something from dvdjournal:  and if you plan to save your pennies for the big Gift Set, you'd better hurry --- all versions of E.T. on DVD will be on the street Oct. 22, but only for 10 weeks, going on indefinite moratorium Dec. 31, 2002  

What the!?!?!? :-\
« Last Edit: Jun 11, 2002 at 04:22 PM by CrUzSACK »

Offline benny

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: Jun 26, 2002 at 08:05 PM »
Update from dvdfile:

Just in from Universal are the final specs for that big fat E.T. Ultimate Gift Set, debuting on 10/22. As you know, it will be available for a limited time only, retail for $70, and come in a big fat shiny silver box as seen to your right. Contents include the two-disc widescreen collector's edition of the 2002, a third disc with the 1982 theatrical cut of the film presented in 1.85:1 anamorphic widescreen with English and French 2.0 Dolby surround tracks only (no 5.1 mixes are included), a bonus CD with the film's soundtrack, a senitype and the complete script.

The final specs for the disc of extras (also available in separate pan & scan and widescreen editions of the 2002 20th Anniversary Edition) is as follows: "20 Years Later With Steven Spielberg" introduction, the "The Evolution Of E.T." documentary, three new making-of featurettes "John Williams Live Orchestra," "Space Exploration" 3-D interactive journey into space, and "Reunion" with the cast and crew, an isolated music score (live from the 2002 Shrine Auditorium premiere in Los Angeles), and the "E.T. Archives" with production and publicity stills. DVD-ROM extras include "E.T. Facts" trivia, the "Help E.T. Find His Way Home" interactive game, an "E.T. Read-along" and the Total Axess web portal.

Bound to be disappointing to collectors is that the film's theatrical trailers, deleted scenes and additional rare footage will only be available via the Total Axess portal and will not be included on the DVD-Video portion of the disc. Now, let's just hope the 1982 version of the film gets as good of a transfer as the 2002 version...for $70, it better.

Preorder from Amazon:

E.T. - The Extra-Terrestrial Ultimate Gift Boxed Set  $52.49 (25%), Oct 22.

Offline wcvmorasa

• DVD Addict
  • You want me to do that? Make me.
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: Jun 28, 2002 at 12:58 PM »
I think I'll get the ETUGB, I prefer the 1982 version..  ;D

/208H

Offline himura

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • DVD Addict
  • D'oh!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: Sep 13, 2002 at 09:09 AM »
Here's a pic of the collector's edition box (I took this from dvd.ign.com):

Offline Mo®pHeOu$

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • GO GREEN: LET'S DO OUR SHARE IN SAVING OUR PLANET
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: Sep 13, 2002 at 09:47 AM »
 ;D ;D ;D

WOW for the Ultimate Edition!!!

;D ;D ;D

Offline kings5504

• DVD Guru
  • Rock Band Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: Oct 15, 2002 at 10:02 AM »
For those getting the ultimate gift box just to be able to have the 1982 theatrical version...  you might just want to rethink your pre-orders...  it has been reported on various online DVD news sites that the (cheaper!) 2-disc version DOES include the 1982 theatrical cut, as opposed to only containing the 2002 re-release cut, as originally announced  ;D...  i'm now thinking of getting the 2-disc edition myself, when i heard about this...  
The war is over...  Now bring on the classics on HD!

Offline Rnold

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: Oct 15, 2002 at 12:58 PM »
For those getting the ultimate gift box just to be able to have the 1982 theatrical version...  you might just want to rethink your pre-orders...  it has been reported on various online DVD news sites that the (cheaper!) 2-disc version DOES include the 1982 theatrical cut, as opposed to only containing the 2002 re-release cut, as originally announced  ;D...  i'm now thinking of getting the 2-disc edition myself, when i heard about this...  

hi,

can anyone who already got the 2-disc version verify this. i think PARC has this DVD already available. please post your findings if the 2-disc version indeed includes the 1982 theatrical cut.

thanks!

Offline warpzone

• DVD Addict
  • Hello!
  • Liked:

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 20
« Reply #12 on: Oct 15, 2002 at 05:12 PM »
can anyone who already got the 2-disc version verify this. please post your findings if the 2-disc version indeed includes the 1982 theatrical cut.

Just got my copy. The external disc packaging itself does NOT mention it. BUT there's a tiny sticker that says "Includes 2002 Feature and Original Release"

Disc One is the 2002 Version, with four Special Features:

1. A Special Introduction by Spielberg
2. The  20th Anniversary Premiere
3. John Williams Live at the Shrine Auditorium 2002 Premiere
4. Space Exploration

Disc Two contains the 1982 Original Version and the rest of the special features.

I cancelled my order for the 3-disc set, since it seems useless to get it at this point. I don't really need a CD, script, and a collectible sentiype - I don't even know what a senitype is!  ;D
Mr. Hankey the Christmas Poo... He loves me, I love you...

Offline CrUzSACK

• Konsehal
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • I'm a paranoid schizophrenic. I am an entourage.
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: Oct 15, 2002 at 05:49 PM »
I don't even know what a senitype is!  ;D

Heheheh. So what is this senitype?  ;D  The 2-disc doesn't have the commentaries (by Spielberg) rin daw (Thanks, Aeris! :) ).....But, are you guys really into that? Listening to the "commentaries"?  If not, then the 2 disc would be your better choice. :) ET........Phone......home! ET........Phone......home! ;D

Offline newtype

• Collector
  • yo...
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: Oct 15, 2002 at 06:45 PM »
Just got my copy. The external disc packaging itself does NOT mention it. BUT there's a tiny sticker that says "Includes 2002 Feature and Original Release"

where did u get it?

Offline Rnold

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: Oct 15, 2002 at 07:24 PM »
http://www.nbc4.tv/news/1719620/detail.html?treets=la&tid=2651907710813&tml=la_4pm&tmi=la_4pm_12312_06000110142002&ts=H

so based on this news and as verified by Mr. Hankey, the 2-disc E.T. - The Extra-Terrestrial (Widescreen Collector's Edition) already contains the 1982 Original Version.

i hope Universal Pictures won't be distributing the DVD's that don't include the 1982 Original Version in the 2-disc E.T. - The Extra-Terrestrial (Widescreen Collector's Edition) since this was their original plan

whew  :), thanks guys!
« Last Edit: Oct 15, 2002 at 07:25 PM by Rnold »

Offline aeris30

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: Oct 15, 2002 at 07:30 PM »

where did u get it?

Actually it says so on the description of disc 1 & 2 at the back of the external disc packaging, although not directly,  you can notice that there are two versions of the film.

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: Oct 15, 2002 at 07:50 PM »
Actually it says so on the description of disc 1 & 2 at the back of the external disc packaging, although not directly,  you can notice that there are two versions of the film.

I saw that, but couldn't figure if the run time specified for disc two referred to another version of the film, or to total run time of the special features.

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: Oct 16, 2002 at 01:27 PM »
I just finished watching it. Just a few comments:

1. The "Good change" part: The first digital enhancement was actually pretty good, though I miss the old shot of ET standing in profile with his heart light going out when the spaceship leaves. It seemed sadder and more emotional than the current "chasing the ship as it leaves" shot they used.

2. The "Bad change" part: I wasn't fond of the additional "ET in the bathroom" sequence, since it looked very CGI and very different from ET in the rest of the film.

3. The "Bakit wala?" part: No deleted scenes, particularly frustrating when they have still images of the deleted scenes included on the disc. Did you guys know Harrison Ford was in the film as the principal at Elliott's school? All you get are a few B&W photos of his performance. Would anyone know if these scenes are in the Ultimate Edition or at the Total Axess portal? If not, then I guess these scenes were destroyed/lost already.

4. The "I'm such a medical geek" part: Considering all the money they spent on this film/disc preparation, they should've at least had the close captions proofread by a doctor. Spielberg cast actual doctors from USC to make the ET resuscitation part more believable, but the subtitles destroyed that, since there are so many errors. You read "anatropic" when they mean "inotropic", bretylium is misspelled twice as "bertyllium", and when ET's ECG show Ventricular Fibrillation, the subtitles read "It's still defib" instead of "It's still V-Fib". Sorry, but it's hard not to notice such when you're in the profession.  ;D

4. The "You're such a liar" part: In the "Reunion" part of disc two, Peter Coyote says fans have sent him "videotapes of me speaking TAGALOG in ET." Gee, I wonder where those fans got that, or if they dubbed the movie THEMSELVES? ::)

On the whole, I enjoyed the disc and its features. I'm not sure if it's dated, though. Will those with kids please tell us if their children love it as much as almost every kid did in the 1980s?
« Last Edit: Oct 16, 2002 at 02:07 PM by Mr. Hankey »

Offline newtype

• Collector
  • yo...
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: Oct 16, 2002 at 11:05 PM »
guys, should i just get the R1 release or wait for the R3 release?

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
« Reply #20 on: Oct 18, 2002 at 08:46 AM »

It depends. firewired has said the Universal DVD release schedule for R3 is currently pretty funky. If you're looking to save, then I'd wait a bit longer, but if it doesn't come out by mid-December, I'd already buy the R1 before the title goes on moratorium. It might be like The Little Mermaid and not come out for another 10 years after the brief release window allowed it.

Offline warpzone

• DVD Addict
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: Oct 18, 2002 at 09:09 AM »

I prefer the R1, at least sure na may 1982 version.  ;)

Offline newtype

• Collector
  • yo...
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: Oct 25, 2002 at 01:19 AM »
just got the R1 canadian version...

any diff. with the packaging? yung sa akin kasi mukhang parang madali masira

Offline uebetan12

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
Re: E.T. 20th Yr. Edition - disc news/details
« Reply #23 on: Feb 26, 2006 at 12:29 PM »
pareho lang naman yata ang features ng region 1 at region 3 pero ito ang importante, wag kang mawawalan ng kopya nito kc hindi ka movielover at dvd collector kung wala ka nito!