Author Topic: Room Dimension  (Read 578 times)

Offline Full HD 3D

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Room Dimension
« on: May 09, 2006 at 11:57 AM »
What is the ideal dimension for a dedicated home theater room  that can accommodate 6 persons.Thanks a Bunch!

Offline av_phile1

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Cheers from a movie and music lover
  • Liked:
Re: Room Dimension
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2006 at 02:22 PM »
The term "ideal" really has little meaning in this hobby.  What's ideal to one may not be to another.  And people have been known to make the best out of what they have, notwithstandug what to them is "ideal."  I have seen a barkada of more than 6 enjoy an evening of NBA drama with just a 21"TV in a typical sala.  So it really depends on what you consider as ideal.   If you want a room that looks like a theatre with descending seats of 2 rows with 3 seats each row, that to me is ideal, so you can have a narower middle channel without impeding on the views of those seated behind.  If you have just one row of 6 seats, the center channel will require a much wider disbursement and you may have to use two center speakers.  A rectangular room with the short side having the screen and front speakers is ideal to me.  The sounds from surrounds and back channels will have longer distance to travel to interfere with the fronts and you get a more defined ambiance.  Just my thoughts.

Offline MAtZTER

• Trade Count: (0)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • More POWER to your HT! literally ...
  • Liked:
Re: Room Dimension
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2006 at 02:56 PM »
What is the ideal dimension for a dedicated home theater room  that can accommodate 6 persons.Thanks a Bunch!

In my case, a 96" screen needed 3.5m distance from the seating area. so for a 6 seater HT, 3 seats/row. I would say the MINIMUM would be a 5-6m deep HT room. And like sir AV said, a deeper dimension would do even better. I once lived in a condo where the surrounds were behind the sofa and the 6th and 7th channel was way back at the dining area. And the surrounds were just awesome in DTS-ES and DD-EX.

In my current HT 3mx4.2m, we already had HT sessions w/ 6 people in one row, LOL, in semi-"sardine" mode  ;D. So it also depends on your design as well. I had a custom made sofa without arm rests, so it could accomodate 6 people max.  :D