Author Topic: Help Me build My HT  (Read 4058 times)

Offline Derflannelg

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Apprentice
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Help Me build My HT
« on: May 18, 2006 at 01:42 PM »
Hi guys! Just joined and hope somebody could help me on some of my queries.  Im planning to upgrade my HT system, and don't know what are the set of speakers to choose from.  Currently I have JBL Esc333, which I plan to give it to my family back in the Phils, di na kc ko satisfied - gusto ko ng mas malakas.  Based on some of the threads here, mas ok talaga pag you set-up your own.  So I hope you guys could help me from A-Z.

First, I'll be using it for movies (60%) and music (40%), and ang nadecide ko na sub, is Velodyne CHT-12R, which I heard is a very powerful sub.  My budget would go from Php45,000 - 60,000 though I still can stretch it if necessary.  What would be the set of speakers (yung recommended nyo ha) na pwede ko i-set with my sub.  And off-course yung recommended A/V receiver?  Also, is their a specific connecting wires to choose, kung meron, please specify.

I am here in Dubai and there's a lot of stores here na pwede puntahan like Harman House, V&V Sons (distributor of Velodyne in UAE), etc.   So would appreciate if you could help me out, just give me the brand names/models and I'll audition it for myself.  Sa dami kc ng threads d2 about sa speakers, got confused kung ano pipiliin ko.  Thanks..

Offline av_phile1

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Cheers from a movie and music lover
  • Liked:
Re: Help Me build My HT
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2006 at 02:04 PM »
There are really a lot of choices, especially with your budget.  The higher the budget, the more dizzying the choices are especially for HT.  But if you wait a little longer, maybe til the end of the year, you could be future-proffing your investment when the new receivers with HD-DTS and Dolby TrueHD decoders come out to support the audio tracks of HD-DVD and Blu-Ray discs. 

Offline Jairus

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2006 at 02:08 PM »
Welcome to pinoydvd  :)

Since you're into 60/40 HT-music, you cannot go wrong with an HK receiver.  Just choose among the models on how much power and what features you want.  This can cost you from 22k- up.  The HK also matches well with many popular speaker brands (i.e. B&W, Missions, Wharfs, DALIs)...just audition them and get what sounds best for you.  

Enjoy the hunting (it is the most fun part)! ;)

B&W603 S3
Yaqin MC100B; Sony 337ESD; TRIO KP700 TT; MF VLPS

Offline MAtZTER

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • More POWER to your HT! literally ...
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2006 at 05:08 PM »
45k to 60k includes the receiver and speakers?

I would recommend HK as well. But I would suggest you buy it from here for warranty's sake, unless the price difference is huge. My friend bought a HK635 from Canada for a P10k savings from the local price. Something went wrong and he was charged 12k cuz HK's warranty is only for the region it was bought (no int'l warranty). malas.

just a hunch, but this thread might be merged with "recommendation for receiver and speakers" in the future.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2006 at 05:15 PM by MAtZTER »

Offline Derflannelg

• Apprentice
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2006 at 05:50 PM »
Thank's guys for your replies, well yeah definitely my alloted budget would include the receiver and the speakers, but as I've said I can stretch it if necessary coz Im considering this as an investment na din that's why I wanted to have the best equipment possible. 

And one more thing, buying these gadgets in the Phils. is not an option for me coz d2 ko Dubai nakabased.  Anyways, I'll try to check the A/V which u have mentioned..Till next time.. 

Offline MAtZTER

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2006 at 06:10 PM »
Oh. sorry. You stated your budget in pesos so I assumed you were going to do a setup here.

But sir, as much as we would like to help, the prices and availability of AV gear in Dubai and here are different. I am not sure how we could recommend AV gear when we only know the local prices and availability.

Maybe you can mention the brands that are available there (and prices) and we could help you.

« Last Edit: May 18, 2006 at 06:18 PM by MAtZTER »

Offline Derflannelg

• Apprentice
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2006 at 07:23 PM »
Tumpak..tama ka jan sir MatZTER..I'll just send all the infos here so you guys could help me out to decide..I saw ur HT set-up on the other thread and all i can say is W-O-W panalo set-up mo, it's one of the reason why all of a sudden I want to upgrade to a newer and powerful (i should say) system..Though, same like you prior to the upgrade I have to convince, first and foremost my wife in order to get her approval (Wife Approval Factor sabi mo nga) and luckily I did  ;D..

Offline MAtZTER

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2006 at 12:01 PM »
Thanks sir and congrats on the wife approval, at least lagi na tayo sa bahay sa hobby na to at wala nag pang gastos sa ibang baBaeisyo;D  ;D ;D

Offline Derflannelg

• Apprentice
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: Jun 20, 2006 at 11:52 AM »
Ei guys..Just got so busy for the past weeks, especially now that we're expecting our first baby in a few days ;)..But anyway, I was able to visit some showrooms around Dubai and came to auditioned some speakers like Wharfedale, Mission, Difinitive and Jamo.  And so far, Im considering the following set-up, which I hope u could me out to decide.  So your comments & suggestions would be highly appreciated.

Set-up#1
Front - Wharfedale Diamond 9.5 (AED1,705/2pcs) or 9.6 (AED2,060/2pcs)
Rear - Diamond 9.1 (AED645/2 pcs)
Center - Diamond 9.cs (forgot to asked the price)

Set-up#2
Front - Wharfedale Diamond 8.4 (AED1,635/2pcs)
Rear - Diamond 8.1 (AED550/2pcs)
Center - Diamond 8 center

Set-up#3
Front - Wharfedale Zaldek S200 (AED1,350/2pcs)
Rear - Zaldek Sorround (AED657/2pcs)
Center - Zaldek Center

Set-up#4
Front - Mission M35 (AED1,350/2pcs)
Rear - Mission M3C2 (AED675/2pcs)
Center - Difinitive C2 (AED1,025)

As for the sub, unfortunately the Velodyne CHT12R is currently not available here, only the CHT10 and Wharfedale SW150 is available, the showroom is not sure whether they could get me a stock or not.  Like what I've said, my set-up would be 60% movie & 40% music.  I still did not check on the AVR yet, but most probably I'll go for HK.  Do you think would it be worth if I'll settle for CHT10 (or Wharfedale SW150 - which one is better?)..It's a hassle naman kung bibili ako jan sa atin then iuuwi ko dito Dubai.  BTW, how much is CHT12R jan sa atin?  Also, what connecting wires should I use?

So I hope you could me out to decide based on the mentioned set-up.  Thanks once again.. :)

Offline Derflannelg

• Apprentice
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: Jun 20, 2006 at 11:56 AM »
BTW, 1 AED = Php15 :D

Offline Jairus

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: Jun 20, 2006 at 01:17 PM »
BTW, 1 AED = Php15 :D

Wow, mahal pala ng wharfedale dyan  :o

Estimated prices of Wharfedale here:

9.6 = around P18T
9.5 = around P12.5T
9.1 = around P5.5T

Go for the newer Diamond 9 series.
B&W603 S3
Yaqin MC100B; Sony 337ESD; TRIO KP700 TT; MF VLPS

Offline sight

• Collector
  • _
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: Jun 20, 2006 at 02:02 PM »

It's always nice to know people from Dubai with HT interests. Welcome pare sa HT shopping spree in Dubai, it could be overwellming but its fun. I must say I missed that feeling since my gears are almost two years old now. Anyway now that you're getting your Sub from V.V. and Sons (a great choice I might add), might as well get the entire Wharfedale Diamond 9 serries speakers from them. I know they have it, and just pair it with a DENON receiver. If you don't have a DVD player yet, better get the Denon one as well.

:)

SYT

Offline Derflannelg

• Apprentice
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: Jun 20, 2006 at 05:22 PM »
Wow, mahal pala ng wharfedale dyan 

Estimated prices of Wharfedale here:

9.6 = around P18T
9.5 = around P12.5T
9.1 = around P5.5T

Dude, are the prices you have mentioned are in pair or per speaker only?  ???

Offline backdraft

• Trade Count: (+34)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 70
« Reply #13 on: Jun 20, 2006 at 05:37 PM »
Pair na yan sir  ;D

basta fronts and surrounds laging pares.
« Last Edit: Jun 20, 2006 at 05:39 PM by backdraft »

Offline Derflannelg

• Apprentice
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: Jun 20, 2006 at 07:32 PM »
Hmp! mura nga yan kung ganun.. >:( Pero got no choice..

To Sight, yup pare perhaps i'll be buying these staff through V.V & Sons, but I'll have to wait for a few months to see if the Velo CHT12R is available.  Also, are there any other stores where I can find all sorts of speakers?

One thing I've noticed with V.V & Sons (Bur Dubai Branch) is that, their salesman (Indians) are not that good, technically I must say.  It's like he's not sure on what he is saying. 

Offline sight

• Collector
  • _
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: Jun 21, 2006 at 01:48 PM »
Pare,

Wag mo nang asahan yung tulong ng mga salesman. Mas mabuti pa rin talaga na tayo na ang mag-research at pumili ng akma sa'tin. Ako kasi noon, naghanap muna ako ng system sa Internet at binase ko sa mga reviews yung mga napiling system at sa huli ay inodition them for myself. Noong nakapili na ako ng tamang system na pasok sa budget, ayun binili ko na.

Pero in fairness sa V.V. & Sons, maganda yung aftersales service nila (Lalo na sa UAE na market) at kalidad ng mga system na binibenta. Yung pinagusto ko pa eh, pag dineliver nila yung system mo, kahit wala ka pang mga cables (good ones), yung technicians nila ay may dala at hindi lang yun pwede ka pang pumili hango sa budget mo at sa huli ay ibi-bill ka na lang. Plus, libre yung callibration and installation. Sa Harman-House kasi dapat bibili ka muna ng cables mo before delivery, may it be from them or outside, tapos may charge pa yung installation.

Tungkol naman sa Velodyne Sub, siguro naman yung CHT-10 is more than enough. Meron kasi akong CHT-8 noon, wala pang half-way yung volume eh yumayanig na yung FLAT. Kaya I suggest the CHT-10 is more than okay. One more thing, I was told na nagpalit yata ng dealer yung VELODYNE sa UAE, so I suggest you check it ASAP just in case.

Hope this helps.

SYT
« Last Edit: Jun 21, 2006 at 07:54 PM by sight »

Offline audibleillusions

• Collector
  • Hi-fi, HT,Professional Audio and Video Store
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: Jun 21, 2006 at 07:02 PM »
AUDIBLE ILLUSIONS AUDIBLE ILLUSIONS AUDIBLE ILLUSIONS AUDIBLE ILLUSIONS AUDIBLE ILLUSIONS AUDIBLE ILLUSIONS AUDIBLE ILLUSIONS AUDIBLE ILLUSIONS
HI Sir
TRY TO CALL US

just want to let you know that the location of the store is @ 50D TIMOG AVENUE. QUEZON CITY
FEEL FREE TO DROP BY VISIT THE PLACE

or call us 3743620

THE BETTER SOUND and VIEWS FOR BUDGETED PRICE

Offline Derflannelg

• Apprentice
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: Jun 22, 2006 at 06:13 PM »
Sight, from where did u get that info, from what I know V.V & Sons is the only sole distributor of Velo prods. here in UAE.  If meron nga iba, please do let me know so I can ask them about the CHT12R.  Nevertheless, if wla talaga ako mkita CHT12R, Ill go for the CHT10..

Audible Illussions, thanks dude for the message, but buying all these staff in the Phils. would be very incovenient on my part, as I am geographically based here in Dubai and I'll be using it here as well.  Though shipping is possible, but again we have to consider the fact that these products might get some damage/s or whatsover for improper handling, right? 

Offline sight

• Collector
  • _
  • Liked:
VELODYNE UAE
« Reply #18 on: Jun 22, 2006 at 07:28 PM »

I've checked the Velodyne web site recently and the listed UAE distributor is this one;

TONES AND COLORS TECHNOLOGIES
Dubai Shopping Center
P.O. Box 114743
Dubai

United Arab Emirates
Tel: 971 50 218 4710
Fax: 971 657 36631
Email: [email protected]
Url: www.tonescolors.com

I suggest you contact them right away, they might have the model you need.

SYT

Offline Derflannelg

• Apprentice
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: Jun 29, 2006 at 08:30 PM »
Sight pare, I just called Tones & Colors and I was shocked coz taas nila magpresyo. CHT12R to them is AED2,800 while the CHT10 is AED2,400 :-\.  They don't have any showroom even here in Dubai, only warehouse which is located in Sharjah.

Offline Qman

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • DVD Addict
  • crawling in my skin ....
  • Liked:
« Reply #20 on: Jun 29, 2006 at 09:09 PM »
Bro kung magse set up ka sa pinas ka na bumili lahat ng gamit mo, first mahal ang mga equipment nayan sa middle east mapa duba, sharjah, doha or manama payan.  Nagkumpara nako noon ng prices between those cities at pinas laki ng baba ng pinas prices. pangalawa hassle magkarga, ibabagahe mo yan bulky na mabigat pa saka takaw tingin yan sa customs ng pinas

Offline sight

• Collector
  • _
  • Liked:
VELO
« Reply #21 on: Jul 03, 2006 at 02:55 PM »

Sorry to hear that, I guess you just have to try again sa V. V. & Sons and hope that they'll have your model on stock this time. If not try ordering and wait nalang.

SYT