Author Topic: Bi amping?  (Read 2087 times)

Offline BongerDude

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Collector
  • Gonna keep on tryin til I reach my highest ground
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 8
Bi amping?
« on: May 18, 2006 at 05:10 PM »
Question lang mga gurus..

1.) Let's say i have a receiver na may preouts.. for example HK avr235.  Tapos meron akong rotel ra-03 two channel amp, pwede ko ba kabit preouts sa rotel para ma bi amp fronts ko?  Maganda bang setup yun maski fronts lang naka biamp?

2.) Pano kung hindi pwede i bi amp yung floorstanders kasi 2 lang yung kabitan nya sa likod imbes na 4 na may bakal?

Sorry po talagang clueless ako dito... sana maenlighten nyo ko.

TIA
Technics SL1200 mk2
Macbook Pro
Schiit Bifrost UberUSBgen2
JDLabs Aikido
JDLabs Monos
PSB Image B6

Offline ricky

• Trade Count: (+68)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Duh?
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 544
Re: Bi amping?
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2006 at 05:19 PM »

1.) Let's say i have a receiver na may preouts.. for example HK avr235.  Tapos meron akong rotel ra-03 two channel amp, pwede ko ba kabit preouts sa rotel para ma bi amp fronts ko?  Maganda bang setup yun maski fronts lang naka biamp? Hindi yata pwede bro kasi rotel mo is an INTEGRATED AMP and not a POWER AMP. :)

2.) Pano kung hindi pwede i bi amp yung floorstanders kasi 2 lang yung kabitan nya sa likod imbes na 4 na may bakal? no choice ka talaga na mag bi-amped kung one set of post lang meron speakers mo.

TIA

Offline BongerDude

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Collector
  • Gonna keep on tryin til I reach my highest ground
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 8
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2006 at 05:24 PM »
Ah ganun ba sir.. hehe kakahiya naman... Sorry po talagang wala kong alam dito eh.

Bale sir, anong mga brands/models na power amp ang masusuggest nyo in case na gusto ko palakasin yung fronts? ok lang ba yun na fronts lang ang i bibi amp? di ba malulunod yung center tska surrounds?
Technics SL1200 mk2
Macbook Pro
Schiit Bifrost UberUSBgen2
JDLabs Aikido
JDLabs Monos
PSB Image B6

Offline ricky

• Trade Count: (+68)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Duh?
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 544
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2006 at 05:35 PM »
ok lang bro,ako nga up to now very limited pa din yung alam :-[  experienced ko lang na power amp ay rotel kasi highly recomended ;) and ok lang na fronts although better kung lahat, kasi icacalibrate naman yan para hindi MALUNOD yung center and surrounds mo.

Offline jerix

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • got no golden ears...just loving music
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 70
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2006 at 03:42 PM »
I tried bi-amping my fronts by connecting an amp to the front pre-outs of my receiver. i did not remove the front speakers from the receiver because the amp i use has a pair of floorstanders connected to it. I noticed that that there is still sound coming from the front speakers connected to the receiver. Lumalabas apat na ang gumagana sa fronts. Is this supposed to happen in bi-amping? thanks  ;)
Samsung65MU6303/TCL4kPS49TV/OnkSR608/OnkTXNR676/Marantz/Akai/Sansui/PrjEssential-II

Offline bumblebee

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2006 at 03:47 PM »
I tried bi-amping my fronts by connecting an amp to the front pre-outs of my receiver. i did not remove the front speakers from the receiver because the amp i use has a pair of floorstanders connected to it. I noticed that that there is still sound coming from the front speakers connected to the receiver. Lumalabas apat na ang gumagana sa fronts. Is this supposed to happen in bi-amping? thanks  ;)

1st pair: receiver->speakers
2nd pair: receiver preouts->amp->speakers

Tama ba? If so, then yes, apat nga gagana.

Offline argentum

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Collector
  • Woof!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #6 on: Jun 06, 2006 at 04:01 PM »
truth be told about it, if you are currently using your receiver to power all your speakers and now have the option to use a power amp, at least for your front line then the differences will be noticeable enough. better everything... bass, treble, impact and less distorted sound, faster if you may permit the term. logically speaking, this phenomenon occurs because you relieve your receiver of driving your front line thereby lightening the load off it's electronics. enter power amp, now its only task would be to drive your speakers, nothing else, no decoding no tone controls no led display. thereby doing a much better job than your receiver alone. you'd be better off kung makakabili ka ng four-channel power amp para pantay-pantay ang pag-drive ng front line mo. bi-amping becomes complicated na because of choices between connecting cables, active crossovers and gain-matching between amps and the drivers they are connected to. nakaka-disappoint kung madami ka na nagawa and then too subtle lang ang benefits. hanap-hanap lng bro at makakakita ka din ng four-channel power amp, ganda yun pag nakumpleto mo... ;D ;D ;D
Home-Theater is a spectator sport.

Offline av_phile1

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Cheers from a movie and music lover
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: Jun 07, 2006 at 11:23 AM »

True Bi-amping is best exemplified by your powered subwoofer-reciever operation - each speaker gets a different set of frequencies.  True bi-amping requires an active frequency dividing preamp to send the highs to one amp + speaker and the lows to another amp + speaker.  And the speakers you use must be designed for bi-amping, not just b-wiring.  That means the internal crossovers of the speakers must be bypassed.  Some speakers have 4 sets of  terminals or have a switch to bypass the internal passive crossover networks.   But you can still use bi-wireable speakers in a bi-amping config, you just have to suffer those passive crossover networks in speakers in the audio path, which kinda defeats one objective in bi-amping, namely: to overcome those phase inverting passive crossover filters.   Or you can open the bi-wireable speaker and short-out the crossover filters.  ;D
« Last Edit: Jun 07, 2006 at 11:24 AM by av_phile1 »

Offline mandrake

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Collector
  • Common sense is not as common as you think
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2

Offline kikongkiko

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Apprentice
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: Oct 23, 2007 at 05:35 PM »
try this link this will explain all about the benefits of bi-amping and how to setup this kind of configuration. http://sound.westhost.com/bi-amp.htm

Offline looks

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: Dec 02, 2007 at 09:27 AM »
very complicated. hahaha. ??? ;D ??? ;D
gusto ko rin matutunan yan...

Offline greyman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: Dec 13, 2007 at 07:04 AM »
True Bi-amping is best exemplified by your powered subwoofer-reciever operation - each speaker gets a different set of frequencies.  True bi-amping requires an active frequency dividing preamp to send the highs to one amp + speaker and the lows to another amp + speaker.  And the speakers you use must be designed for bi-amping, not just b-wiring.  That means the internal crossovers of the speakers must be bypassed.  Some speakers have 4 sets of  terminals or have a switch to bypass the internal passive crossover networks.   But you can still use bi-wireable speakers in a bi-amping config, you just have to suffer those passive crossover networks in speakers in the audio path, which kinda defeats one objective in bi-amping, namely: to overcome those phase inverting passive crossover filters.   Or you can open the bi-wireable speaker and short-out the crossover filters.  ;D

avid_phile1,
would you know if the wharfedale diamond 9.1's is designed for biamping? if it's not what is the internal passive  crossover's frequency?

Offline d'dale

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Apprentice
  • Hi, I'm new here.
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: Dec 13, 2007 at 09:08 AM »

1.) Let's say i have a receiver na may preouts.. for example HK avr235.  Tapos meron akong rotel ra-03 two channel amp, pwede ko ba kabit preouts sa rotel para ma bi amp fronts ko?  Maganda bang setup yun maski fronts lang naka biamp?

2.) Pano kung hindi pwede i bi amp yung floorstanders kasi 2 lang yung kabitan nya sa likod imbes na 4 na may bakal?

TIA

bro yan din ang problem ko sa setup ko.meron akong HK245 at NAD320. kaya ang ginawa ko nalang ay hiwalay ang power supply.yung HK245 to speaker naka bi-wire lang at yung NAD320 to single wire lang. :-\ ??? :-[wala akong alam sa mga connection or configuration...