Author Topic: ONKYO AVR  (Read 537752 times)

Offline XmetaL

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: ONKYO AVR
« Reply #1560 on: Aug 11, 2010 at 12:49 PM »
Beware my fellow PDVD brothers and sisters. I hope you do not get an onkyo 508 lemon unit like i did. Was able to enjoy it for 3 days then last night it started shutting off on its own for a few minutes of use. Finally, today it was totally silent. No sound coming out of it. Totally nada.

I hope the dealer does some influence over the supplier and do an outright replacement of the unit. Will not divulge its identity first. I will allow the dealer to work on it muna.

Please also ensure that your dealer can give a 7 day replacement policy for a lemon unit should you get one.

wow.....scary!

i'm glad i bought my unit from a reputable dealer and a friend. if ever there's a problem...they are just 1 call away unlike buying from just a regular seller/member here from which i bought a brand new tube amp which conked out in less than a month or probably less than 10 hours of use. i'm not even asking for a warranty or replacement but just directions or recommendations where i can have it fixed but he's not answering my pm or request even though i see him regularly post here. :(

Offline lmerb

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • Wazzup!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1561 on: Aug 12, 2010 at 08:07 AM »
Another lemon onkyo unit here. I own a 507 used it for a year and just today my unit is dead. While watching a movie it suddenly turn off. The red light is blinking and there is a clicking sound. I unplug the unit and unplug all the cables connected hoping it was just a cable problem. But no luck! After plugging it again to a power outlet the red light blinks and immediately you can hear a  clicking sound.  Too bad my unit is out of warranty.... >:(

anyone with same problem? Any resolution?

Offline vgsison

• Trade Count: (+54)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 15
« Reply #1562 on: Aug 12, 2010 at 11:30 AM »
Beware my fellow PDVD brothers and sisters. I hope you do not get an onkyo 508 lemon unit like i did. Was able to enjoy it for 3 days then last night it started shutting off on its own for a few minutes of use. Finally, today it was totally silent. No sound coming out of it. Totally nada.

I hope the dealer does some influence over the supplier and do an outright replacement of the unit. Will not divulge its identity first. I will allow the dealer to work on it muna.

Please also ensure that your dealer can give a 7 day replacement policy for a lemon unit should you get one.

I just want to inform everybody that my dealer replaced my onkyo 508 and delivered last night. I was able to enjoy my system since last night. But for future buyers, please verify replacement policy.
GE Triton5, Aon3, SC X, SS3, Marantz 7010/XPA3 Gen3/Dual SVS Ultra/Panny PT-AR100 Oppo 103

Offline wacksy1021

• Trade Count: (+125)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #1563 on: Aug 12, 2010 at 02:15 PM »
I just want to inform everybody that my dealer replaced my onkyo 508 and delivered last night. I was able to enjoy my system since last night. But for future buyers, please verify replacement policy.

good for you sir... enjoy

Offline wengkapre

• Trade Count: (+86)
  • DVD Guru
  • Listen and you'll see
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 114
« Reply #1564 on: Aug 12, 2010 at 04:29 PM »
Another lemon onkyo unit here. I own a 507 used it for a year and just today my unit is dead. While watching a movie it suddenly turn off. The red light is blinking and there is a clicking sound. I unplug the unit and unplug all the cables connected hoping it was just a cable problem. But no luck! After plugging it again to a power outlet the red light blinks and immediately you can hear a  clicking sound.  Too bad my unit is out of warranty.... >:(

anyone with same problem? Any resolution?

Sir you can bring your unit in Toyama West Ave., it's Onkyo's Svc. Ctr.

hth
Denon3312|B&W602S2|SVS PBSB2k|10dfs|NAD502|JDLabs|HTPC

Offline lmerb

• Collector
  • Wazzup!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1565 on: Aug 13, 2010 at 12:30 AM »
I try to reset my 507 a couple of times. after resetting it still wont work.Then before going to work i decided to give my 507 one more try and it will work. ;). Now i was thinking getting an avr for my receiver and other components.

Offline vgsison

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #1566 on: Aug 13, 2010 at 10:57 PM »
Power surge issue kaya talga yan sir?

Another question. I notice that If I turn off my onkyo 508, the light indicator is on HDMI thru not on the standby indicator. Can anybody explain why please

Thank you so much.
GE Triton5, Aon3, SC X, SS3, Marantz 7010/XPA3 Gen3/Dual SVS Ultra/Panny PT-AR100 Oppo 103

Offline volrathj

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #1567 on: Aug 14, 2010 at 10:32 AM »
Hello mga master newbie Onkyo 607 user here. So far satisfied ako sa performance ma pa movies or music. By the way ang speakers ko are wharfedale 9.5 for fronts, 9cs center, 9.1 for rear and SVS PB10NSD for sub. But some say that Onkyo pairs good with Mission speakers and others since wharfedale is warm sounding and onkyo too. The only comment is that sa movies medyo mahina yung 9cs center not sure kung dahil sa placement kaya mahina kasi sobrang below ear level yung placement niya. Any suggestions mga master? Tama ba ang hinala ko? Thanks

Offline joshwachubby

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #1568 on: Aug 15, 2010 at 09:10 PM »
Hello good eve, I am very interested sa onkyo but I am here in Davao City and there is no sign of onkyo here. Can anyone please help if naga ship ba to davao ito?? We are transferring to a new house and it would really nice If I would be able to buy this onkyo product/products kasi I heard a lot of good things about this brand . thanks!
Toshiba 55XL700E
Onkyo TX-NR708
Polk Audio RTi A7's, CSi A6's, FXi A4's; DSW PRO 500 Subwoofer

Offline vgsison

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
Onkyo 508 Problems
« Reply #1569 on: Aug 16, 2010 at 09:42 AM »
I notice the following issues with my abovementioned unit:

1. When I turn it off, the standby light does not lit up. The hdmi thru light indicator is the one that lit up. Why is this so?

2. I notice that when I watch blu ray discs and maximize the true hd master format, there are intermittent sound loss in between scenes. Bigla na lang nawawala ang sound tapos babalik ulit.

What could be the issue here? I hope it is not a problematic unit again.

thanks so much pdvd.

Offline iiinas

• Kagawad
  • Trade Count: (+76)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • -> THXed <-
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Re: Onkyo 508 Problems
« Reply #1570 on: Aug 16, 2010 at 09:48 AM »
for the loss of sound issue, i think this would be an issue with your hdmi cable, i also experience audio drop-outs with my 806 when playing hddvd titles, although to be honest, i have not experience any audio drop outs when playing blurays or files through my nmt.

as for the standby light not turning on, that is an issue, you might want to have your unit check.

Offline vgsison

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #1571 on: Aug 16, 2010 at 10:14 AM »
for the loss of sound issue, i think this would be an issue with your hdmi cable, i also experience audio drop-outs with my 806 when playing hddvd titles, although to be honest, i have not experience any audio drop outs when playing blurays or files through my nmt.

as for the standby light not turning on, that is an issue, you might want to have your unit check.

thank you for your comments sir ilinas. I hope it is not my AV receiver letting me down again. good day.

Offline markcrenz

• Trade Count: (+194)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 8
« Reply #1572 on: Aug 16, 2010 at 10:49 AM »
1. Because your HDMI Control (RIHD) and power control functions are enabled. Try turning these off and see what happens. This is not an issue. It's just that when the HDMI pass through function activates in standby mode, the HDMI THRU indicator, instead of the standby lamp, will light up.
2. Recheck your digital connections. Cable replacement might be necessary.
Sent from my Pentium 166MMX using PS/2 keyboard

Offline vgsison

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #1573 on: Aug 16, 2010 at 12:43 PM »
1. Because your HDMI Control (RIHD) and power control functions are enabled. Try turning these off and see what happens. This is not an issue. It's just that when the HDMI pass through function activates in standby mode, the HDMI THRU indicator, instead of the standby lamp, will light up.
2. Recheck your digital connections. Cable replacement might be necessary.

Your explanation is a relief. I will try to adjust the settings na lang for my RIHD and power control. Thank you very much.

Offline vgsison

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #1574 on: Aug 17, 2010 at 10:48 AM »
I notice the following issues with my abovementioned unit:

1. When I turn it off, the standby light does not lit up. The hdmi thru light indicator is the one that lit up. Why is this so?

2. I notice that when I watch blu ray discs and maximize the true hd master format, there are intermittent sound loss in between scenes. Bigla na lang nawawala ang sound tapos babalik ulit.

What could be the issue here? I hope it is not a problematic unit again.

thanks so much pdvd.

All these issues, solved now.

1. For the audio loss, I replaced the hdmi cable and no problem experienced after.

2. For the HDMI pass thru light indicator, I put the audio control to "Off" and the standby mode lights up now when turning the power off.

thanks so much to those who shared their thoughts.

Offline Blu-devil

• Trade Count: (+68)
  • DVD Addict
  • The Bible, The Worlds Most Famous Work of Fiction
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #1575 on: Aug 21, 2010 at 04:08 PM »
Hello good eve, I am very interested sa onkyo but I am here in Davao City and there is no sign of onkyo here. Can anyone please help if naga ship ba to davao ito?? We are transferring to a new house and it would really nice If I would be able to buy this onkyo product/products kasi I heard a lot of good things about this brand . thanks!

I have an Onkyo TX-SR605 for sale if you are interested. 220 Volt Asian Model Immaculate condition. PM me if interested.
I live in Cebu but can ship next day via Air21/ LBC
Denon AVR-4400H: Denon PMA520AE: DMP-UB400: Epson EH-TW9400: Jamo 7.1.4 Atmos Speakers: 135” screen

Offline dannielsimone

• DVD Addict
  • Hi, I'm NOT new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1576 on: Aug 24, 2010 at 01:04 PM »
Let me start off by saying I am a life long fan of Onkyo.  But as I am buying new Whafedales I am keeping an open mind to find which brand of receiver matches best with them.  Here is an interesting demo and I hope it does not bore you.

Ok....pulled the trigger and got the Diamond 9 series.  My fronts are the 9.6 and am doing demos to see which receiver matches best.  Started my  demo and observing was a fellow DVD member, sir ShogDGreat.  We got to chatting and he joined me as he was there to buy a pair of Diamond 9.1's and also came to demo receivers with an eye on figuring out which would match up best with Wharfs.  (He actually told me he was most interested in Denon and that was his objective today....to see how they matched up with the 9.1.)We demoed Pioneer, Yamaha, Onkyo and then Denon.  Shog also brought his friends and family who took interest in our demo.  Let me start off by saying that all of us agreed on the best of the bunch as well as those that were  not.  I can not tell you all the model numbers but remember prices But perhaps Shog can shed some lite as well.

At the bottom of the list and what was most UNIMPRESSIVE was the Denon and very close to that was the Yamaha. I WILL ADD THAT OF THE 4 RECEIVERS THESE TWO WERE THE MOST EXPENSIVE!    The Pioneer (VSX-520 5.1) which was the cheapest in price was not bad at all in fact it was less than  1/2 the price of the previous two tested. Shog and I were  impressed with the revealing detail yeilded by this entry level receiver.   This left me wanting to her more from Pioneer but a higher end 7.1 unit.  We next demoed the Onkyo and without going in to the long story...simply put.... The best reciever  for the "objective of matching them with warfs"  was  by far  the Onkyo  507.  It created a driving force in these wharfs that was lacking in the previous three.  The highs and lows all came together. The base was so  tight and pronounced that shog and I imediately turned to one another and commented.  The demo was over.

Of these 4 brands we listened to there was a "hands down" clear winner. Onkyo by a country mile.  I soon left Shog and his crew but not before he told me  that the 9.1's and the Onkyo 507 were going home with him. I guess Shog found his "pefect match".

And I am getting closer to finding the reciever to make my Wharfs sing!

Hi Mr dannielsimone. Actually the one we auditioned was Onkyo 508 not 507. At first im eyeing on Denon 1611 which is 3d ready just like 508. When I arrived in S&S, Mr danniel was there and auditioning the pioneer at first. Then i ask one of the staff to audition the Denon 1611. Mr danniel got my attention when he played his demo cd (def leppard) which is one of my favorite rock band. That time he was auditioning the onkyo 508 and i was impressed by the sound coming from wharf 9.4 and mirage omni subwoofer. The slam was very good for me and the detail is just fine for my ears. Then we test the yamaha for comparison and the yamaha was too far for onkyo. Both receivers was tested using their default settings in tone control. I found the yamaha lacking of treble and the slam is not as good as onkyo. Then I said to danniel to try the denon 1611. Then when we played again the same music, i was disappointed. I thought 1611 will sound good because of the reviews i read about 1610. The bass was not there just like there is no sub. Then we ask Mr jhun of S&S that maybe there is something wrong with the setup. Then he said every setup are identical. He check the sub, settings and it is set on yes. Maybe denon will sound good if you will do some tweaking in its tone control. However the detail of the denon is just ok for me.
        So my rating for the 4 receivers will be:

1. Onkyo 508
2. Pioneer 520 (if im not mistaken)
3. Denon 1611
4. Yamaha (?)

This is just only for my own preference maybe what is good for me may not be good for others. That's why always audition first before you buy.
I was ended to bring the onkyo 508, wharf 9.1 and omni s10 mirage subwoofer...... Grin Grin Grin
I would like to thanks PDVD for educating me in this hobby and also to Mr dannielsimone in choosing my first HT......So far im very happy to my purchase.

__________________________________________________________________________________________

SO GUYS...ANY OF YOU ONKYO FANS USING WHARFEDALES?  I AM THINKING ABOUT DOING A HEAD TO HEAD DEMO BETWEEN THE ONKYO 508/608 VS THE HIGHER END PIONEER 920 OR 1020?

WHAT DO YOU THINK?
Onkyo 707
Wharefdale Diamond 9.6
Center 9 CM
Diamond 9.1
Mirage Omni s10

Offline vgsison

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #1577 on: Aug 24, 2010 at 02:08 PM »
mr. danniel simone: I too have onkyo 508. I paired with polk tsi 300 and cs10 and wharfedale dipole surround. I am loving every sound of it.

Just be sure that your onkyo unit do not conk on you the way it did with mine several days after its purchase.

Other than that, enjoy your system especially with true hd audio settings in some bluray discs. Heaven for me.

vgsison 

Offline dannielsimone

• DVD Addict
  • Hi, I'm NOT new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1578 on: Aug 24, 2010 at 04:08 PM »
mr. danniel simone: I too have onkyo 508. I paired with polk tsi 300 and cs10 and wharfedale dipole surround. I am loving every sound of it.

Just be sure that your onkyo unit do not conk on you the way it did with mine several days after its purchase.

Other than that, enjoy your system especially with true hd audio settings in some bluray discs. Heaven for me.

vgsison 

For the record it was SHOGDGREAT that actually bought the 508.  I am still auditioning.  ;D

HAVE A GREAT DAY
Onkyo 707
Wharefdale Diamond 9.6
Center 9 CM
Diamond 9.1
Mirage Omni s10

Offline Onkyo606

• Trade Count: (+44)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • It's SVS or Nothing
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #1579 on: Aug 24, 2010 at 04:19 PM »
For the record it was SHOGDGREAT that actually bought the 508.  I am still auditioning.  ;D

HAVE A GREAT DAY

try to check out in the net, top 10 receiver and you will be surprised Pioneer 1019 is number one im sure 1020 have the same flat form and would sound as great, cost is around 40K.

by the way for whatever its worth, set your expectations accordingly, the way things sounded in the store may not be the same as it will sound in your listening room area. I used to have an Onkyo606 with wharfe 9.5 as front and though its a tad better that the JAMO SR606 i used to have before, issue with 9.5 is the inate boominess and the somewhat lack of strong high frequency(not sure kung yan ang tamange term) the boominess though can only be heard kung naka pure audio and direct setting ka without using the subwoofer, but wiht settings that set the front to 80hz and the sub engaged, i dont have any complaints

good luck on your quest.
SVS PB13 Ultra and SB13 PLus

Offline dannielsimone

• DVD Addict
  • Hi, I'm NOT new here!
  • Liked:
Onkyo and PS3 Compatibility issues?
« Reply #1580 on: Aug 27, 2010 at 01:17 PM »
Hi am gonna pull the trigger this weekend on an Onkyo but have been reading on a few different boards about compatibility issues with PS3 via HDMI connection.  Some are with the 608 but more so with the 508.  Are these issues still a problem?  Are they software issues?  Have they been fixed?  (My kids will hate me if they can not play on the weekends).
Onkyo 707
Wharefdale Diamond 9.6
Center 9 CM
Diamond 9.1
Mirage Omni s10

Offline TOY 01

• Trade Count: (+323)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
Re: Onkyo and PS3 Compatibility issues?
« Reply #1581 on: Aug 27, 2010 at 02:56 PM »
Using onkyo 608 no problem with hdmi connection.
Allan 0917-8975003 (Please indicate username)

Offline mikeer2002ph

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • DVD Addict
  • What have you done today to make you feel PROUD?
  • Liked:
« Reply #1582 on: Sep 02, 2010 at 06:28 AM »
I got an Onkyo TX-SR700 + Onkyo DV-SP500 for my my folks circa 2002 (as their combined birthday present).

It's still alive and well up to now.

I think the issues with these babies is power fluctuation/surges. A/V Receivers are basically half computer half amp.

The amp part may be rugged but the computer that drives everything else in it is not.

Almost returned it to the dealer after a week because of weird noises and behaviors (will shut down in the middle of the movie,DTS wont work even if selected) until I used an el cheapo voltage regulator meant for the computer.

the weird noises died and so did the odd behavior.

I took out the PC regulator and replaced it with a servo type regulator and now the onkyo combo is celebrating its 8th year this month.

wisdom learned = treat your A/V receiver like a computer, not like a typical stereo amp of yesteryears.
Gay Stereophile
Kann HugoTT GSXMk2 LCDMX4 Elear EtherFlow MDRZ7
DACMagicPlus CA650A RB1582 LSi9 Aon3

Offline Blu-devil

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #1583 on: Sep 02, 2010 at 05:57 PM »
Well, my Onkyo HT-RC180 Receiver will finally be in my hands tomorrow. I cant wait to get my grubby little hands on it.
Denon AVR-4400H: Denon PMA520AE: DMP-UB400: Epson EH-TW9400: Jamo 7.1.4 Atmos Speakers: 135” screen

Offline Onkyo606

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • It's SVS or Nothing
  • Liked:
« Reply #1584 on: Sep 02, 2010 at 06:35 PM »
Well, my Onkyo HT-RC180 Receiver will finally be in my hands tomorrow. I cant wait to get my grubby little hands on it.

congrats sir steve ;)

Offline dannielsimone

• DVD Addict
  • Hi, I'm NOT new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1585 on: Sep 03, 2010 at 09:51 AM »
Bought the 707 and got a good deal.  Am slowly setting it up. I have sky cable in my living room   (no digi box )and the picture  does not look great going directly to  my new 50 inch plasma. ( PQ on the 50 is worse than on my 42PV80 ::)  I do have a sky digi box in my office.  But as we all know this has no HDMI connection.  So  is it a good idea to run the sky cable direct without digi box thru the 707 ?  How is the PQ doing so?

Should I use a digi box and composite cable and run thru the  707? Will it improve the analog/digi PQ?

What is your set up?

Any  feedback would be most appreciated.

Tnx
Onkyo 707
Wharefdale Diamond 9.6
Center 9 CM
Diamond 9.1
Mirage Omni s10

Offline Blu-devil

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #1586 on: Sep 03, 2010 at 05:37 PM »
Well, the Bad Boy finally turned up and looks awesome. Can't wait to get it up and running

Offline nogie

• Trade Count: (+46)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #1587 on: Sep 03, 2010 at 08:18 PM »
Well, the Bad Boy finally turned up and looks awesome. Can't wait to get it up and running

Nice! Looks like the 807 w/out the badges printed infront.  ;D Welcome to the roster of RC-180/807 owners!  ;D

« Last Edit: Sep 03, 2010 at 08:26 PM by nogie »

Offline nogie

• Trade Count: (+46)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #1588 on: Sep 03, 2010 at 08:38 PM »
^ notice the hairline scratches on the screen of my 807? Whatever happens don't use a paintbrush as duster, use a microfiber cloth instead. Scratches might not be visible by naked eye but can be captured by camera.  ;D

Offline Onkyo606

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • It's SVS or Nothing
  • Liked:
« Reply #1589 on: Sep 03, 2010 at 10:47 PM »
congrats sir steve, finally it has arrived, welcome to the world of midlevel but high performing receiver, set it up with aidyssey dsx and you will not leave your ht room for quite some time. ;)