Author Topic: ONKYO AVR  (Read 537630 times)

Offline jackryan

• Trade Count: (+130)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • http://www.reefphilippines.com http://uaaph.com
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
Re: ONKYO AVR
« Reply #2790 on: May 13, 2012 at 09:24 PM »
bro, the moderators might penalize you for posting in the wrong section... I think you need to do it in the Yamaha thread (this is an Onkyo thread after all).  ::)

Parang China claiming Scarborough Shoals ang dating nito... baka magka international incident hahaha  ;D

alam na nga namin parating yung Yamaha RX-A2010 mopag pick-up mo sa freight forwarder... excited nga kami to hear your actual feedbacks dun sa Yamaha thread...  ;)
« Last Edit: May 13, 2012 at 09:29 PM by jackryan »

Offline ≧◉◡◉≦xrampage≧◉◡◉≦

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #2791 on: May 13, 2012 at 10:51 PM »
bro, the moderators might penalize you for posting in the wrong section... I think you need to do it in the Yamaha thread (this is an Onkyo thread after all).  ::)

Parang China claiming Scarborough Shoals ang dating nito... baka magka international incident hahaha  ;D

alam na nga namin parating yung Yamaha RX-A2010 mopag pick-up mo sa freight forwarder... excited nga kami to hear your actual feedbacks dun sa Yamaha thread...  ;)

Post edited some of my post just answering the post of the member siguro naman di masama un.  ;D ;D
USER HAS BEEN BANNED.

Offline jackryan

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #2792 on: May 14, 2012 at 06:36 AM »
bwahahaha... no needed... just a friendly reminder before you get yourself in potential trouble with the mods..

Back to topic: Is the 818, the 809 replacement new model or I am mixing it up?

Offline jao143

• Trade Count: (+93)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Going back to a more simple set-up ;(
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 47
« Reply #2793 on: May 14, 2012 at 06:40 AM »
bwahahaha... no needed... just a friendly reminder before you get yourself in potential trouble with the mods..

Back to topic: Is the 818, the 809 replacement new model or I am mixing it up?

^^^
It is a new model sir (2012) that sports MultEQXT32 ;D ;D ;D
LG65SK8500
Graham LS3/5a
Rega P8 Fono MC
Rotel RC1572/RB1552mkii
REL T7i
NADC538
Sony HTZF9/49X8500G

Offline Courage

• Trade Count: (+65)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 10
« Reply #2794 on: May 14, 2012 at 08:58 AM »
Tumutulong lang sa isang member.  ;D ;D ;D

Ha ha ha..yeahhh right ha ha ha
Walang Setup

Offline Onkyo606

• Trade Count: (+44)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • It's SVS or Nothing
  • Liked:
« Reply #2795 on: May 14, 2012 at 09:28 AM »
is this the yamaha thread or the onkyo thread? ;D

id say try to do process of elimination, compare features that both units have and choose the unit that has all the features you can use, there's no point buying something with features that does not have value to the user,

one thing that Onkyo has brag about all the time, the expansive sound that seems to go beyond the walls of your room
SVS PB13 Ultra and SB13 PLus

Offline adonph

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #2796 on: May 14, 2012 at 09:41 AM »
Hi guys,

Thanks for the insights, sorry kung napapasok na sa yamaha haha.. yap the 818 is the replacement of the 809, this month daw lalabas sa us, sa japan its out na.

Other avr's are also outing the new models.

Bro onkyo 606, musta na? long time no chat. 608 mo oks pa din? hehehe ako nabenta na kaya looking for the replacement.

Offline wengkapre

• Trade Count: (+86)
  • DVD Guru
  • Listen and you'll see
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 114
« Reply #2797 on: May 14, 2012 at 09:52 AM »
Hi guys,

Thanks for the insights, sorry kung napapasok na sa yamaha haha.. yap the 818 is the replacement of the 809, this month daw lalabas sa us, sa japan its out na.

Other avr's are also outing the new models.

Bro onkyo 606, musta na? long time no chat. 608 mo oks pa din? hehehe ako nabenta na kaya looking for the replacement.

naka 809 na sya Sir, not 608
at saka ULTRA MTB  :o ;) :D ;D
Denon3312|B&W602S2|SVS PBSB2k|10dfs|NAD502|JDLabs|HTPC

Offline ultimatedls

• Trade Count: (+52)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #2798 on: May 14, 2012 at 11:34 AM »

id say try to do process of elimination, compare features that both units have and choose the unit that has all the features you can use, there's no point buying something with features that does not have value to the user,

one thing that Onkyo has brag about all the time, the expansive sound that seems to go beyond the walls of your room
+1
SVS PB13 and PC13 ULTRA
SVS ULTRA SPEAKERS
EMOTIVA
MARANTZ

Offline R1DVD

• Trade Count: (+35)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #2799 on: May 14, 2012 at 11:43 AM »

+1.  Tingin ko iba pa rin talaga tumunog ang Onkyo when it comes to movies.  I've had 2 yamahas before (though not the aventage line) and ramdam ko ang difference when I upgraded to the 809.  It has all the bells and whistles, bang for buck ika nga.  Airplay lang ang kulang, although I don't miss it since I'm using an Airport Express naman for airplay.  Anyway, whether Onkyo or Yamaha (especially the aventage line), I'm sure buyers can't go wrong, pareho naman maganda.

Siguro magkakatalo rin when it comes to Audyssey vs YPAO.  Depende na lang sa preference ninyo.  I wasn't really happy with the YPAO calibration of my previous yamaha and I had to redo it the old-fashion way (calibration disc + SPL). With the audyssey of the 809, minor tweaks lang sa subwoofer volume at ok na (+5db lang since I prefer boomier sound).  Just like audyssey, iba-iba rin atang levels meron ang YPAO. Siguro sa aventage line nila, mas spot-on ang calibration.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2012 at 11:52 AM by R1DVD »

Offline adonph

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #2800 on: May 14, 2012 at 12:26 PM »
Hahaha,

Talaga kayo guys, tuloy its very hard to decide na hahaha.... Ah talaga naka 809 na si bro onkyo606???? dati sabay kami nag 608 hahaha...

hows the volume level sa 809 guys? same pa din ba sa 608 na need almost half?
any concerns sa 809 na we should look out for?

trimming down na choices hahaha

Offline R1DVD

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #2801 on: May 14, 2012 at 01:37 PM »
Hahaha,

Talaga kayo guys, tuloy its very hard to decide na hahaha.... Ah talaga naka 809 na si bro onkyo606???? dati sabay kami nag 608 hahaha...

hows the volume level sa 809 guys? same pa din ba sa 608 na need almost half?
any concerns sa 809 na we should look out for?

trimming down na choices hahaha

Definitely, heat is not an issue anymore with the 809.  I once had an issue with 3D.  I can't get 3D to work.   I thought cable problem.  Then I reset the 809 and ok na siya eversince.  Haven't encountered any other issues.  I don't know the volume problem of the 608 but for the 809, my usual listening volume ranges from 65-75 db (82 db being the reference level). 

Offline adonph

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #2802 on: May 14, 2012 at 01:42 PM »
Thanks for the feedback bro,

I plan kasi to put the unit sa av rack, bottom part.

Auditioned the 809 kahapon sa makati, iba nga talaga tumunog haha, hmmm... ok will be choosing from 2 items nalang hehe.

will be getting the unit from the us kasi, thats why i went around asking for brand support for the major brands, onkyo had the most support locally, kaya medyo isip isip down to 2 models.

Will be using naman 70% movies, 30% gaming minimal audio

Offline Onkyo606

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • It's SVS or Nothing
  • Liked:
« Reply #2803 on: May 14, 2012 at 02:50 PM »
thought of reposting my non technical and non-expert impression of the Onkyo 809

some interesting things about the 809

1. When doing calibration, Audyssey Mult EQ XT will prompt you to set your subwoofer gain so that it will
    read 75db only, problem is that to achieve 75db(actually around 76db sya), the gain of the Ultra is set to
    only around 830 o clock halos zero na yung gain.

2. Calibration is a breeze. It becomes faster by 50% and it uses 8 mic positions.

3. After completing the calibration, two options can be chosen for the Audyssey EQ activation, one for
    Music and one for Movie.

4. When the gain is set to produce 75db, resulting level calibration for the sub is exactly at zero(not sure if
    the same for all situations though). Distances measured for left and right front are the same and so are
    for the surrounds. The same is true for the level calibrations.

5. Apart from the THX Loudness Plus, it has an option to use Dolby Volume(these acts just like Audyssey
    Eq) so you have more flexibility on chosing your SQ preference.

6. The 809 greatly improved the HF part, the center channel and the surround.Panning has become more
    pronounced. SQ became richer and the details improved a lot

7. It does not heat up unlike the 807 or 808 perhaps. While this is so, it comes with two built in fans inside
   that pushes hot air out of the top vents.

8. It has a couple of HDMI outs that allows you to choose either Main, Sub or both and has tons of HDMI Ins
   8 if im not mistaken.

9. It has a couple USB slots(1 in front and 1 at the back) that allows you to play even FLAC files directly.
   Whats nice, when playing via USB, the display panels would display the title of the song and the artist
   and sounds better compared to playing music via the NMT.

10. It has a very nice looking front fascia, very elegant and minimalistic, only downside but depending on
     preference, the volume knob is now lighted white instead of blue.

11. For video, there are several options to choose, it has ISF day, ISF night, Direct and Custom among
     others, it comes with 4K upscaling thought this may not matter yet considering panels should be 4K too

Overall, the 809 is a huge leap compared to its predecessors and is fully packed with features that can only be present in more expensive models of other brands.Only downside is that it is only MultEQ XT and not XT32. If you are willing to shell out an extra 1K to 1.5K USD, then you may want to go the 3009 route, apart from the XT32, i think all the rest are basically the same in the aspect of things that matters to your basic needs-5.2 channels, HQV upscaler among others.

People have different view about what is excellent sounding, Yamaha fanatics would surely profess about how good it is, Onkyo would and perhaps Denon folks as well. Prior to getting my previous mid level receiver(807), i did listened to several brands, there is one that really sound very nice but price is very high, there is one that is of the same price level as the 809 but does not look appealing(yes i have strong consideration for the physical appearance and build), there is one that sounds good but does not have the slam im looking for and there is one that has the slam but overpowering naman

Onkyo is known for that slam and finesse combined, very powerful and fast paced parang in your face ang tunog , this would not appeal to people na laidback ang gustong set up kase mapapagod sila pakikinig.

The 809 met my expectations-SQ, build quality, aesthetics and price thats why to me this is the best. There will always be something out there better than the 809 but I dont like the looks, the added features that spiked the cost up and surely hve nit met my expectations.

Get a 3009 or 5009 and thats a different story overall,

Offline jackryan

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #2804 on: May 14, 2012 at 03:12 PM »
naka 809 na sya Sir, not 608
at saka ULTRA MTB  :o ;) :D ;D

Forget about whether this is the Onkyo or Yamaha thread...

Once Bro Tirso is in the house, this becomes the MTB thread !!!  ;D

Offline Onkyo606

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • It's SVS or Nothing
  • Liked:
« Reply #2805 on: May 14, 2012 at 03:20 PM »
Forget about whether this is the Onkyo or Yamaha thread...

Once Bro Tirso is in the house, this becomes the MTB thread !!!  ;D

patay tayo dyan, Onkyo muna usapan dito sir Tony kaya nag post ako ng mahabang post tungkol sa 809 ko hehehehe baka malito ang tao biglang MTB nga ang bilin hehehe

Offline Clondalkin

• Trade Count: (+46)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Tea the gift of life...
  • Liked:
« Reply #2806 on: May 14, 2012 at 03:30 PM »
Import naman, so bilhin mo pareho then benta mo yung hindi mo type in the end.

Ang dali ibenta ng Onkyo 809 and ng Yamaha A2010 basta US level ang prices, and mababawi mo pa yung shipping cost and meron ka pang pang-kain ng Wagyu dinner.   ;)

Or you might end up with Onkyo 2010 and Yamaha 809 dahil hindi mo mabitawan pareho.   ;D ;D ;D

The good news about your situation is that you have many choices.  The bad new is, you have many choices din.   ;D

Pero kung gusto mong walang isipan na matipid, just get the Onkyo 809.  My 1008 is practically the same as the 809 so effectively I have 2. I mentioned how much I love the Yamaha and Im keeping the AX1 forever. But I dont have any regrets about my 2 Onkyos. 

Kung concerned ka about reliability, then get Yamaha - that is, if you believe yung feedback sa net.

Offline jackryan

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #2807 on: May 14, 2012 at 04:15 PM »

Bro, my head is spinning round and round na...

Onkyo 2010 and Yamaha 809  ;D

Dun nalang ako sa wagyu thread (magnificient!) and MTB... perfect combination... one adds, the other deducts...

Offline Clondalkin

• Trade Count: (+46)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Tea the gift of life...
  • Liked:
« Reply #2808 on: May 14, 2012 at 04:24 PM »
That's the point Bro when total confusion sets in as there is probably very subtle or subjective difference if the 809 and 2010 are listened to side by side.   ;D ;D ;D.   You can even piggy back the two.  hehehe

Yung Yamaha yata ay mas HIGH DEF ang LED display. hehehe.

Dun nalang ako sa wagyu thread (magnificient!) and MTB... perfect combination... one adds, the other deducts...

Offline Onkyo606

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • It's SVS or Nothing
  • Liked:
« Reply #2809 on: May 14, 2012 at 04:34 PM »

eh pareho namang nasa yo na yata eh, pakiggan mo na lang and keep the one that makes you happy and satisfied, at the end of the day, inputs lang yung mababasa mo dito sa thread, but ikaw pa din ang masusunod kung ano ang maganda para sa yo.

if you want the better route to take, gayahin mo na lang si nogie, binibili nya na lang lahat at pinapakinggan sa bahay, yung gusto nya keep nya yung di nya gusto benta nya na lang

about the MTB, be careful what you wish for, mas magastos hahahaha

Offline jackryan

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #2810 on: May 14, 2012 at 05:00 PM »
thought of reposting my non technical and non-expert impression of the Onkyo 809

some interesting things about the 809

7. It does not heat up unlike the 807 or 808 perhaps. While this is so, it comes with two built in fans inside
   that pushes hot air out of the top vents.

I think point 7 is quite re-assuring and also noticed that you need to make sure you have sufficient room to allow the top vents to function properly as expected.

Offline jackryan

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #2811 on: May 14, 2012 at 05:02 PM »

Hahaha... my wife is about to throw everything back at me... baka balik na lang ako sa old trusted headphones  ::) ;D

Offline Onkyo606

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • It's SVS or Nothing
  • Liked:
« Reply #2812 on: May 14, 2012 at 05:10 PM »
I think point 7 is quite re-assuring and also noticed that you need to make sure you have sufficient room to allow the top vents to function properly as expected.

i have observed na unlike previous models, kahit naka dalawang movies na ako di naman nag init ng matindi ang 809, having enough breathing room between the top cover and the bottom portion of a rack though would definitely be a welcome thing, di ko pa nakitang nag engage yung fans nung unit ko kase nag engage lang yata pag needed na.

by the way di na ako gumagamit ng rack, naka granite plinth na lang ako.

Offline jackryan

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #2813 on: May 14, 2012 at 05:13 PM »
granith plinth... nice!  ;)

Offline adonph

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #2814 on: May 14, 2012 at 09:38 PM »
Thanks guys,

hahaha, dami technical hehe... actually the cost for the 809 is far from the 2010, laki mura. i might be getting it at around $770 lang dun sa suki ng sister ko sa us. Yung yamaha kasi around $1039 pa hehe. Iam having them shipped together with some items fr HT and sa auto.

Will be using my stored pro center and pro monitors.

Kung dalawa na yung cooling fans niya thats very nice!!!!

Mukang may winner na hahahaha!!!!! friday na friday decide na!!!!!

Offline ≧◉◡◉≦xrampage≧◉◡◉≦

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #2815 on: May 14, 2012 at 10:22 PM »
Thanks guys,

hahaha, dami technical hehe... actually the cost for the 809 is far from the 2010, laki mura. i might be getting it at around $770 lang dun sa suki ng sister ko sa us. Yung yamaha kasi around $1039 pa hehe. Iam having them shipped together with some items fr HT and sa auto.

Will be using my stored pro center and pro monitors.

Kung dalawa na yung cooling fans niya thats very nice!!!!

Mukang may winner na hahahaha!!!!! friday na friday decide na!!!!!

Nice brader good luck on your purchase and enjoy.  ;D ;D
USER HAS BEEN BANNED.

Offline adonph

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #2816 on: May 15, 2012 at 07:40 AM »
Thanks guys for the feedback for both brands,

Both of them naman are good avr's siguro depende nalang sa ears and experience with the brand they like.

will be deciding this and purchasing this friday na hehehe..

Offline wengkapre

• Trade Count: (+86)
  • DVD Guru
  • Listen and you'll see
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 114
« Reply #2817 on: May 15, 2012 at 08:39 AM »
Thanks guys for the feedback for both brands,

Both of them naman are good avr's siguro depende nalang sa ears and experience with the brand they like.

will be deciding this and purchasing this friday na hehehe..

What set of speakers will you use Sir?
Denon3312|B&W602S2|SVS PBSB2k|10dfs|NAD502|JDLabs|HTPC

Offline R1DVD

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #2818 on: May 15, 2012 at 08:42 AM »
actually the cost for the 809 is far from the 2010, laki mura. i might be getting it at around $770 lang dun sa suki ng sister ko sa us. Yung yamaha kasi around $1039 pa hehe. Iam having them shipped together with some items fr HT and sa auto.

Why not get it from amazon?  Last time I checked $709 lang siya with free shipping.  Anyway, you can't go wrong with either the 2010 or 809, although they are really not on the same level.  Ka-level ng 809 (price-wise) is the Aventage A810.  
« Last Edit: May 15, 2012 at 08:43 AM by R1DVD »

Offline adonph

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #2819 on: May 15, 2012 at 09:18 AM »
@
Why not get it from amazon?  Last time I checked $709 lang siya with free shipping.  Anyway, you can't go wrong with either the 2010 or 809, although they are really not on the same level.  Ka-level ng 809 (price-wise) is the Aventage A810. 
Yap bro, sa amazon. there will be rebate from the price, $700 usd nalang siya from the seller 1call. Feature wise, medyo malayo siya sa a810, there is a seller who is offering the a1010 at almost same price level. The a2010 kaprice na ng 1009. lampas na budget hahaha

What set of speakers will you use Sir?
Will be using definitive tech procenter 1000, mythos set for surround, and super cue for sub.