Author Topic: ONKYO AVR  (Read 537580 times)

Offline southpeak

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Collector
  • Desiderata
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: ONKYO AVR
« Reply #660 on: Apr 03, 2008 at 07:45 PM »
@Toquero
actually sir im rebuilding my HT set up starting with this receiver. my previous unit was a Marantz SR4300 paired with Acoustic Research ARHC6 5.1 set up. i sold it when i started collecting junkyard toys  ;D. for now i'm using a pair of Athena S3.
http://www.athenaspeakers.com/modelS3Reviews.php
sana may matisod na magandang speaker set up  ;D, but i'm also auditioning some current models. any suggestion?  :)

@MAtZTER
thank you sir. no regrets here. as i'm still partial to stereo, the first thing i did was test its CD Direct feature.. WOW, sin tunog ng mga vintage amp ko. malapad at gumagapang and LF. i'm sure its surround capability will be as good and as you mentioned will not disappoint. yup, Lucky Me  :D

@Tambutso
http://pinoydvd.com/board/index.php?topic=3164.450
reply 461 sir.. may tawad pang konti..  ;)
according to some sites, its street price then was about $1,500? not sure how much was it sold new here in PH.
thank you sonny..  :)

« Last Edit: Apr 07, 2008 at 07:38 AM by southpeak »

Offline glacierfrost

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
Re: Onkyo SR705
« Reply #661 on: Apr 08, 2008 at 12:28 PM »
I read this on avsforum. Although it is in the 805 forum, I think this explains my problem using the 705 with my karaoke dvd.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?p=11068977#post11068977

1. The delay is in the range of 47-76ms (according to my measurements). This directly depends on what distance you set your spkrs at. If you want to minimize the delay, then set your spkrs at the maximum available distance (this will enable you to have the lowest delay of 47ms). *TIP: If you are doing this tweak, make sure that your FARTHEST spkr is set to 30 ft, while your other spkrs should be configured relative to your farthest spkr

2. The audio delay is very hard to detect with regular video content (when using with any kind of video player). Even if you specifically looked for it, you would have a very hard time finding any sync problems between the video and the audio (as far as lip movements are concerned). This is why it is not surprising to see that most people do not know that their 805 has this delay.

3. It may be noticeable in realtime activities such as gaming (depends greatly on what kind of game). Some games such as Guitar Hero could suffer from this delay and also games with fast twict-based game play (like Counterstrike where the gun fires off the instant you click on the mouse button). Gears of War is not so much affected because the game has a builtin-trigger lag where weapons don't fire instantly.

4. Definitely noticeable if using a microphone or instrument that is connected to the receiver. Therefore, it makes this receiver very bad for karaoke, unless you use multi-ch inputs (see below)

5. ALL audio inputs (analog, digitalcoax, optical, HDMI) EXCEPT for Multi-Ch inputs are affected by this delay. Simply put, if you must have absolutely NO delays, use the Multi-Ch inputs. However, keep in mind that using Multi-ch inputs is only a partial workaround since you cannot apply any processing (EQ, surroundmodes/thx/audyssey/etc.) to multi channel inputs.

6. We have confirmation from Onkyo and Audyssey that the delays are caused by culimination of delays in the 3 DSP chips of the 805.

7. Lip sync delay settings will not solve the delay problem, only decrease it somewhat (you will still get a delay of ~47-76 ms even if you set the lipsync delay to 0ms). Using Direct or Pure Audio mode also will not get rid of the delay.

8. People tend to notice this delay better with HD/digital channels. What they are experiencing is the CULMINATION of the existing delay in the digital broadcast and the delay in the receiver. This delay may vary from broadcast to broadcast and does not neccessarily mean there is something wrong with your cable/sat box. When used with the 805, the receiver's delay will further exacerbate any existing delays in the broadcast. This is what most people tend to ask about, so I hope this answers it.

9. There are several ways to test for delay. The most effective is to use a microphone setup with the receiver and tap the microphone with you finger and see how instantly the sound reacts. Another method is to compare the original source audio with the sound coming from the receiver (ie. compare the sound of your TV with the sound of the same signal being fed to the receiver). The least effective way to test for this delay is to watch movies and see how the actors lips sync to the audio. As I've stated before, this will not likely yeild any noticeable delays.

Offline danrd

• Trade Count: (+25)
  • DVD Guru
  • Do it now while you still can!
  • Liked:
« Reply #662 on: Apr 17, 2008 at 09:41 AM »
Last night was the greatest experience I had since I got this 705. Just when I thought I had the best out of its upscaling feature, I tried setting my htpc's video setting to 1360x768 and viola! Deeper colors and blacker blacks. It seems like my lcd was turned into plasma (with much better resolution of course) Amazing!  :o :o This avr is really worth every penny.  ;)

Offline streetsmart

• Trade Count: (+24)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Life imitates movies ...
  • Liked:
« Reply #663 on: Apr 17, 2008 at 10:18 AM »
Last night was the greatest experience I had since I got this 705. Just when I thought I had the best out of its upscaling feature, I tried setting my htpc's video setting to 1360x768 and viola! Deeper colors and blacker blacks. It seems like my lcd was turned into plasma (with much better resolution of course) Amazing!  :o :o This avr is really worth every penny.  ;)

Very interesting. Bakit kaya?

What was your previous setting? 720p? The native resolution of your pj is 720p, right?
No room acoustic treatment is like running a Ferrari on ice.

Offline danrd

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #664 on: Apr 17, 2008 at 11:09 AM »
Very interesting. Bakit kaya?

What was your previous setting? 720p? The native resolution of your pj is 720p, right?

The reason is definitely its Faroudja scaler.

My previous setting was way higher than that which I just later found out wrong. Yes 720 yung pj ko. But I was referring to my 32" lcd's picture improvement. My pj's improvement was great too.  :)

Offline don

• Trade Count: (0)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #665 on: Apr 17, 2008 at 11:15 AM »
@danrd
nice! congrats bro! btw, kamusta yung lip sync issue?

@Matzer
Bro, kamusta 875? may delay rin ba sa audio like the 705s? Your 875's HQV is really tempting... makaka-save ka nga sa pagbili ng HD Discs... :) I might go this route too... i'll just get BD discs pag may sale at maganda talaga yung movie hehehe.

Offline danrd

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #666 on: Apr 17, 2008 at 11:29 AM »
@danrd
nice! congrats bro! btw, kamusta yung lip sync issue?

This "lip sync" issue actually crossed my fingers before I bought it. Luckily I find it negligible.  ;)

Offline MAtZTER

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • More POWER to your HT! literally ...
  • Liked:
« Reply #667 on: Apr 17, 2008 at 02:38 PM »
@Matzer
Bro, kamusta 875? may delay rin ba sa audio like the 705s? Your 875's HQV is really tempting... makaka-save ka nga sa pagbili ng HD Discs... :) I might go this route too... i'll just get BD discs pag may sale at maganda talaga yung movie hehehe.

The 875 is simply awesome. Worth every penny, top notch SQ & PQ.

No audio delay issues w/ the 875. But the 705's audio delay is a minor one, you just have to set the settings to zero, thats all you ever got to do.
« Last Edit: Apr 17, 2008 at 02:41 PM by MAtZTER »

Offline don

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #668 on: Apr 17, 2008 at 04:05 PM »
@danrd, Matz

thanks for the inputs guys :) i really appreciate it. can't wait to have TrueHD & DTS-MA and prolly HQV ;)

Offline Nemesis91

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Atlantic Technology THX Ulta II
  • Liked:
« Reply #669 on: Apr 18, 2008 at 01:26 PM »
On sale 705 last 4 units, Special price!@ theaterworks. ;D

Offline lakambini

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • DVD Addict
  • I AM
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #670 on: Apr 18, 2008 at 05:21 PM »
On sale 705 last 4 units, Special price!@ theaterworks. ;D

pls pm me re ur special prize for the 705, tnx

Offline MAtZTER

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #671 on: Apr 25, 2008 at 03:19 PM »
@danrd, Matz

thanks for the inputs guys :) i really appreciate it. can't wait to have TrueHD & DTS-MA and prolly HQV ;)

If ur display is 720p, the Onkyo 705 is good enough.

But if your display is 1080p, go for the 875, awesome sound pa.

Offline Dday

• Apprentice
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #672 on: Apr 30, 2008 at 03:07 PM »
How much is the price of onkyo tx-sr606 in the Philippines?
i got the price here in singapore and it's S$825.
Planning to get one. ;)

Offline T33K0Y

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 19
« Reply #673 on: May 01, 2008 at 07:34 PM »
How much is the price of onkyo tx-sr606 in the Philippines?
i got the price here in singapore and it's S$825.
Planning to get one. ;)

hi sir, I'm also planning to get the 606.  I have a relative there in Singapore.

Is it already out in the stores there? where did you get your unit? S$825 is quite cheap..

TIA sir..  ;D 

Offline axn8882003

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #674 on: May 01, 2008 at 11:14 PM »
Guys, I would just like to ask you something. I am on a lookout for an Onkyo receiver. My friend from Hong Kong said he can buy one from Hong Kong and have it shipped over to me. Price is about 1/3 cheaper there. Question is, will this be ok? What possible issues will arise? Is onkyo philippines honoring an international warranty?

Offline Dday

• Apprentice
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #675 on: May 03, 2008 at 02:42 PM »
hi sir, I'm also planning to get the 606.  I have a relative there in Singapore.

Is it already out in the stores there? where did you get your unit? S$825 is quite cheap..

TIA sir..  ;D 

Yes, it is already out here.
Also, i checked the price of Onkyo txsr506. they selling it for S$550.

Offline oReOsHaKe

• Trade Count: (+642)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #676 on: May 03, 2008 at 05:37 PM »
Guys, I would just like to ask you something. I am on a lookout for an Onkyo receiver. My friend from Hong Kong said he can buy one from Hong Kong and have it shipped over to me. Price is about 1/3 cheaper there. Question is, will this be ok? What possible issues will arise? Is onkyo philippines honoring an international warranty?

There is no Onkyo Philippines. There is an Onkyo distributor (Toyama Inc.).  There is no warranty for Onkyo units bought outside of the Philippines.  You can however have defective units you bought outside repaired here but at your expense or return the unit overseas which is more expensive and a hassle.
DALI OPTICON 8 : Zensor : Polk Audio F/XiA4 : ONKYO 5010 : OPPO BDP-103 : Panny AE8000 : Dual PB1000

Offline danrd

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #677 on: May 08, 2008 at 10:42 AM »
My new Onkyo TX-SR875 replacing my 705.

It's huge, black and 220v

My initial review:
- SQ is far better and powerful than 705.
- The improvement on my PJ output was stunning. HQV Rocks hard!!

If you all ask me, I'd say I've just saved myself from buying a power amp and a video processor.  ;)

Offline oReOsHaKe

• Trade Count: (+642)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #678 on: May 08, 2008 at 10:50 AM »

My initial review:

If you all ask me, I'd say I've just saved myself from buying a power amp and a video processor.  ;)

Matindi talga.. Congrats pre..
DALI OPTICON 8 : Zensor : Polk Audio F/XiA4 : ONKYO 5010 : OPPO BDP-103 : Panny AE8000 : Dual PB1000

Offline lakambini

• DVD Addict
  • I AM
  • Liked:
« Reply #679 on: May 08, 2008 at 01:08 PM »

My initial review:

sir,

MATINDI How much na po ngayon sir ang 875?  tnx.

Offline tacio

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #680 on: May 10, 2008 at 12:07 PM »

Bought mine from hongkong, don't think there will be a problem as long as ok ang shipper mo.  Sa handling lang naman possible masira yun.  AVR's are not as sensitive as flat panels in shipping.  Yup its much cheaper but bilis phase out dun kaya puro new models lang meron

Offline john5479

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • crash and burn!!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #681 on: May 10, 2008 at 05:08 PM »
Does the local distributor of onkyo also carry the integra line? I am keen on buying the new integra pre-pro.

Offline catgreg2k2

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #682 on: May 14, 2008 at 10:20 PM »
Hi guys, pwede po pa PM kung magkano score nyo sa Onkyo 875 nyo. thanks.
Onkyo TXNR509
Polk RTi-A7
Polk RTi-CS6
Polk DSW 660wi
Wharf Diamond 8.1
NAD 320Bee
Wharf Diamond 9.2

Offline pilyo168

• Trade Count: (+183)
  • DVD Guru
  • If you dont feel your bass. Your subwoofer sucks.
  • Liked:
« Reply #683 on: May 20, 2008 at 02:45 AM »
guys try ninyo itong low impedance subwoofer amplifier para sa rca sub output ng Onkyo receiver ninyo.

copy paste link.

http://tipidpc.com/viewitem.php?iid=734004

Offline E-reply

• Trade Count: (+248)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Mobile: 0917-5413491
  • Liked:
« Reply #684 on: May 20, 2008 at 02:59 PM »
Hi guys, pwede po pa PM kung magkano score nyo sa Onkyo 875 nyo. thanks.

Sent you pm.

Offline nvektus

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Collector
  • audio.video.disco
  • Liked:
« Reply #685 on: May 21, 2008 at 08:45 PM »
anyone knows if the 875 is available in 110-120v here in pinas?  some of the user reviews i've seen have major issues with heat... any 875 owners experienced excessive heat? tia...

Offline JhunDV

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Good old-fashioned lover boy!
  • Liked:
« Reply #686 on: May 25, 2008 at 11:02 PM »
Anyone knows the price for a brand-new or secondhand TX-SR605? Thanks! :)
Panny 50VT30 - Onkyo 818 - Polk  RTiA5/CSiA6/FXiA4/DSWPro550 - MEDE8ER 1000x3D - Synology DS413j

Offline danrd

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #687 on: May 25, 2008 at 11:11 PM »
anyone knows if the 875 is available in 110-120v here in pinas?  some of the user reviews i've seen have major issues with heat... any 875 owners experienced excessive heat? tia...

Got mine at Theaterworks and its 220v Excessive heat? YES!! But it's natural with amps this heavy. You'll just have to free all things blocking the vent and add a fan.

Offline highwayman

• Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #688 on: May 26, 2008 at 09:11 PM »
Got mine at Theaterworks and its 220v Excessive heat? YES!! But it's natural with amps this heavy. You'll just have to free all things blocking the vent and add a fan.

what fan did you use?

thanks...

Offline MAtZTER

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #689 on: May 27, 2008 at 11:45 AM »

I use mine as a pre-pro only (with external power amps) and its already HOT! So I placed it on the top layer of my AV rack, in the "air path" of my split type aircon:

« Last Edit: May 27, 2008 at 11:47 AM by MAtZTER »