Author Topic: OEM or RETAIL version of XP Prof?  (Read 1716 times)

Offline jerix

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • got no golden ears...just loving music
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 70
OEM or RETAIL version of XP Prof?
« on: Mar 29, 2006 at 12:16 PM »
Just like to get your insights on the PROs and CONs of both items.. tnx  ;)
Samsung65MU6303/TCL4kPS49TV/OnkSR608/OnkTXNR676/Marantz/Akai/Sansui/PrjEssential-II

Offline ralfy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • DVD Guru
  • I am the Mountie!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: OEM or RETAIL version of XP Prof?
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2006 at 05:21 PM »
I think you can't use the first for a new machine. If you plan to use newer versions, then you are probably better off with OEM.

Offline jerix

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2006 at 07:20 AM »
just have been informed that only the RETAIL version can be re-used to different computers, but not at the same time. but which is cheaper ? ::)
Samsung65MU6303/TCL4kPS49TV/OnkSR608/OnkTXNR676/Marantz/Akai/Sansui/PrjEssential-II

Offline ralfy

• DVD Guru
  • I am the Mountie!
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2006 at 04:44 PM »
If it is likely that you will upgrade PCs every few years, then just use the OEM version that comes with every new machine.

Offline barracuda

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2006 at 05:03 PM »
When you buy a new PC with pre-installed Win XP Pro, this is the OEM license.  This license will 'die' when the PC dies (cannot be transferred to a replacement PC).  OEM licenses only come pre-installed and should not be sold without a PC.

Win XP Pro (Retail) is for PC's that do not come pre-installed with Win XP Pro.  This license will not 'die' when the PC dies and can be transferred to a replacement PC (but cannot be installed simultaneously to more than one PC).

There are PC's that come with pre-installed Win XP Home OEM.  If you want to upgrade this to Win XP Pro, you should either get Win XP Pro Upgrade (Retail) or Win XP Pro Full (Retail).  (If you get XP Pro Full retail, you cannot transfer the XP Home OEM to another computer).

Certain networking functions are not supported in Win XP Home (OEM or Retail).

Offline jerix

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2006 at 08:25 AM »
When you buy a new PC with pre-installed Win XP Pro, this is the OEM license.  This license will 'die' when the PC dies (cannot be transferred to a replacement PC).  OEM licenses only come pre-installed and should not be sold without a PC.

Win XP Pro (Retail) is for PC's that do not come pre-installed with Win XP Pro.  This license will not 'die' when the PC dies and can be transferred to a replacement PC (but cannot be installed simultaneously to more than one PC).

There are PC's that come with pre-installed Win XP Home OEM.  If you want to upgrade this to Win XP Pro, you should either get Win XP Pro Upgrade (Retail) or Win XP Pro Full (Retail).  (If you get XP Pro Full retail, you cannot transfer the XP Home OEM to another computer).

Certain networking functions are not supported in Win XP Home (OEM or Retail).

Bro thanks for this explanation...  ;D

Offline barracuda

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2006 at 09:07 AM »
Bro thanks for this explanation...   ;D

No prob.   ;D

Offline Iread Blitz

• Apprentice
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: Jun 12, 2006 at 11:48 PM »
You can transfer OEM software to another mother board as long as you own the software, Microsoft ussually lets you do it. I transfered and OEM XP Pro to my new board and there was no problem.

Offline ralfy

• DVD Guru
  • I am the Mountie!
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: Jun 14, 2006 at 11:35 PM »
You can change some parts of your PC (such as the motherboard) and the OEM will still work. I'm not sure, but I think MS looks at around ten components in your PC. If you change most of them, then the co. will assume that you are using a new PC and you might no longer be able to use the OS.