Author Topic: subwoofer connection...speaker out or line level?  (Read 2013 times)

Offline papsy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Apprentice
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
subwoofer connection...speaker out or line level?
« on: May 26, 2006 at 06:20 PM »
guys need your help in setting up my subwoofer for music. i have a 130 watts ganz klar active subwoofer with speaker and line level for connections. i plan to connect it to my PC and mini compo and im wondering which to use for better sound?

connection 1:

PC soundcard to subwoofer line-in, then subwoofer line-out to mini compo auxillary-in.

connection 2:

PC soundcard to mini compo auxillary-in, then mini compo speaker-out to subwoofer speaker-in and subwoofer speaker-out to speakers.

btw, the subwoofer has a phase control switch either normal or reverse...either of which i do not know how to use for optimal sound in music.

your inputs would be much appreciated. thanks

Offline Philander

• Trade Count: (+43)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
Re: subwoofer connection...speaker out or line level?
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2006 at 06:25 PM »
Rule: Always use the sub's line in if your source or receiver or sound card has sub line out.

Offline papsy

• Apprentice
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2006 at 10:59 PM »
i agree to that sir philander, in fact my soundcard (chaintech AV-710) has a sub-out when configured to 7.1 channels. but i only use the 2 channel high sampling rate for music playback and with that configuration the sub-out is disabled. add to that, my mini compo doesnt have a sub-out either. btw i prefer the high sampling rate 2 channel for music because it uses a superior DAC (wolfson) that outputs 24bit/96khz. so with my dilemma, which connections would i choose to connect my active subwoofer for better sound? is it connection 1 (line-level) or connection 2 (speaker level)? thanks

Offline av_phile1

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Cheers from a movie and music lover
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2006 at 10:30 AM »
Since the soundcard apparently disables the line-level sub out at that setting, it seems you have no choice but to go speaker level if you want to go 2-channel stereo and use the wolfson DAC.

Offline papsy

• Apprentice
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2006 at 12:31 AM »
@ av_phile1

sir actually the one with the wolfson DAC is just 2 channels, and i think its a line level too. so im thinking i can  connect my subwoofer through this 2 channel using the subs line-in? then connect my mini compo to the subs line-out as the main front speaker. that said, would that be better sounding than when i connect the sub on the speaker level? thanks for your thoughts.

Offline av_phile1

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Cheers from a movie and music lover
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: Jun 01, 2006 at 10:41 AM »
I am not sure about what the line level input of your sub does.  SOme subs impose a filter right at the line level input so only the bass frequencies get in.  The sub line level output can be filtered already which allows you to daisy chain another subwoofer for a multiple sub placement. 

Then are subs whose line level output is not filtered and is just a pass through.   I suggest you check out the connection you have in mind.  Line level input is often preferred.  But your hearing preference rules.  Using the speaker level input can yield stronger bass in some subs, but often with higher THD levels though not objectionable at low frequencies. 
« Last Edit: Jun 01, 2006 at 10:42 AM by av_phile1 »

Offline papsy

• Apprentice
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: Jun 05, 2006 at 09:52 PM »
@ av_phile1

thanks for you input sir. i'll try it out. now ive got a bigger problem. my active subwoofer has no power. its been stocked  for almost 2 years. can it still be repaired? thanks  :'(