Author Topic: anong astig na dvd burner?  (Read 40980 times)

Offline Rnold

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: anong astig na dvd burner?
« Reply #60 on: Jun 05, 2006 at 12:20 PM »
hey guys, what do you think of this external dvd burner

Feature Set:

The MegaSTOR Triple Format Performs Like a Virtual Hard Drive – rewrite to the same piece of DVD-RAM media up to 100,000 times
The MegaSTOR Triple Format Stores up to 9.4GB of data - store up to 9.4 GB of data on a single piece of double sided DVD-RAM media
The MegaSTOR Triple Format Stores up to 8.5GB of data - store up to 8.5 GB of data on a single piece of double- layer DVD±R media
Anodized Aluminum Enclosure Dissipates Heat and looks great next to any PC or Mac System.

Burner Speed: 
With this DVD burner you can write to a single layer blank DVD at 16x and rewrite to a DVD+RW disk 8x and DVD-RW 6x. The dual layer +R disks can be written to at 8x which is comparable to some of the other burners.

Offline SPaCeMaN SPiFF

• Trade Count: (0)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #61 on: Jun 05, 2006 at 02:15 PM »
hey guys, what do you think of this external dvd burner

Feature Set:

The MegaSTOR Triple Format Performs Like a Virtual Hard Drive – rewrite to the same piece of DVD-RAM media up to 100,000 times
The MegaSTOR Triple Format Stores up to 9.4GB of data - store up to 9.4 GB of data on a single piece of double sided DVD-RAM media
The MegaSTOR Triple Format Stores up to 8.5GB of data - store up to 8.5 GB of data on a single piece of double- layer DVD±R media
Anodized Aluminum Enclosure Dissipates Heat and looks great next to any PC or Mac System.

Burner Speed: 
With this DVD burner you can write to a single layer blank DVD at 16x and rewrite to a DVD+RW disk 8x and DVD-RW 6x. The dual layer +R disks can be written to at 8x which is comparable to some of the other burners.

very nice. mad dog drives are rebadged NECs, which almost guarantees it'll be at least decent.  ;D

unless i'm mistaken, that is a mad dog MD-16X3DVD9-8xe, which is basically a rebadged NEC 4550A

here's a full spec sheet: http://www.videohelp.com/dvdwriters.php?DVDnameid=1416

reviews for the NEC 4550A:
http://www.cdrlabs.com/reviews/index.php?reviewid=278
http://www.cdfreaks.com/article/255
« Last Edit: Jun 05, 2006 at 02:15 PM by SPaCeMaN SPiFF »

Offline Rnold

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #62 on: Jun 05, 2006 at 09:29 PM »
SPaCeMaN SPiFF, thanks for the link to the reviews. Hopefully this will be a good external dvd burner as this is what my aunt bought me who'll be coming here from the US :D

Offline [dcw]aaron

• DVD Addict
  • rock on!
  • Liked:
« Reply #63 on: Jun 06, 2006 at 09:01 PM »
mga sir post nyo naman yung sites ng local pc stores para makapagcanvas ako..tnx!

as of now wla pa rin akong nahahanap na Lite On SHM-165h6S...huhu!
Samsung PS51D491 51" Plasma 3D
Sony PS3 Slim 120GB
Samsung BD-D5100
Sony HTIB 5.1
Kaiboer H1055

Offline SPaCeMaN SPiFF

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #64 on: Jun 06, 2006 at 10:46 PM »
SPaCeMaN SPiFF, thanks for the link to the reviews. Hopefully this will be a good external dvd burner as this is what my aunt bought me who'll be coming here from the US :D

no problem.  ;) ... after reading the reviews, i guess the only minor concern i would have for this NEC model is the lack of an app for bitsetting (i.e. burning DVD+R in DVD-R bitsetting)... but hopefully mad dog's custom software might've addressed this issue. congrats on the new drive.  ;D

mga sir post nyo naman yung sites ng local pc stores para makapagcanvas ako..tnx!

as of now wla pa rin akong nahahanap na Lite On SHM-165h6S...huhu!

try checking with stores like rising sun, pc express and pc bodega. they might be able to help you. very "consumer friendly" prices too.  ;)

Offline aldrinpsx

• DVD Guru
  • Region 1 fanatic!!!!!!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #65 on: Jun 07, 2006 at 02:46 AM »

The VRD-VC20 is Sony’s 2nd generation stand-alone DVD recorder. it has a  DV (1394) digital video input and dual layer writing capability to the previous generation VRD-VC10. The unit  is directed at the consumer who has a library of analog video recordings and would like to convert them directly to a DVD – without connecting to a PC. Unlike a combination VCR / DVD recorder, the unit contains no tape drive and is therefore very compact. When not performing as a stand-alone DVD recorder, the VRD-VC20 connects to a PC for general DVD recorder duty."

More reviews to follow as i explore this new toy of mine. ;D ;D

peace!!!

Offline SPaCeMaN SPiFF

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #66 on: Jun 07, 2006 at 03:23 AM »

The VRD-VC20 is Sony’s 2nd generation stand-alone DVD recorder. it has a  DV (1394) digital video input and dual layer writing capability to the previous generation VRD-VC10. The unit  is directed at the consumer who has a library of analog video recordings and would like to convert them directly to a DVD – without connecting to a PC. Unlike a combination VCR / DVD recorder, the unit contains no tape drive and is therefore very compact. When not performing as a stand-alone DVD recorder, the VRD-VC20 connects to a PC for general DVD recorder duty."

More reviews to follow as i explore this new toy of mine. ;D ;D

peace!!!

nice "toy" there. ganda-ganda. ... very pretty indeed. sony makes some of the "prettiest" drives around. (ganda nung blue screen sa fascia.)  ;)

BTW, the "guts" of this drive is lite-on and the chipset is mediatek. not bad.  ;)

on paper, the best part of this drive is the 8MB buffer... that will mean fewer buffer errors and less coaster.  ;D the only minor cons i can think of is the lack of DVD-RAM and DVD-R DL support. (and maybe the price... ~$250 pa rin ba aldrin?)  :(

spec sheet: http://www.videohelp.com/dvdwriters.php?DVDnameid=1162
drive's official page: http://sony.storagesupport.com/dvdrw/vrdvc20dwn.htm

i'm really curious how well this performs sa mga analog dubbing via the RCA connectors in the back...  ;D
« Last Edit: Jun 07, 2006 at 03:30 AM by SPaCeMaN SPiFF »

Offline snapy

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #67 on: Jun 08, 2006 at 01:18 PM »
ibang klase yang dvd writer na yan ha.. ano yan external na bago?

Offline aldrinpsx

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #68 on: Jun 08, 2006 at 07:43 PM »
ibang klase yang dvd writer na yan ha.. ano yan external na bago?

Sir... 2nd gen na po to. ;D successor ng VRD-VC10.

peace!!!

Offline [dcw]aaron

• DVD Addict
  • rock on!
  • Liked:
« Reply #69 on: Jun 08, 2006 at 09:06 PM »
sir spaceman,

nachek ko na sa rsuns and pcx wla silang available..sa pcbodega lang for 3.5k..

mga sir natry nyo na bang bumili sa store na to: PC Hub Computer Technologies? it's located at the
G/F Unit 3 Aurora Garde Plaza, 692-694 Aurora blvd. corner Gilmore ave..nabasa ko lang kasi sa tipidpc.com eh..ok ba dito? tnx!
Sony PS3 Slim 120GB
Samsung BD-D5100
Sony HTIB 5.1
Kaiboer H1055

Offline SPaCeMaN SPiFF

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #70 on: Jun 08, 2006 at 09:22 PM »
sir spaceman,

nachek ko na sa rsuns and pcx wla silang available..sa pcbodega lang for 3.5k..

mga sir natry nyo na bang bumili sa store na to: PC Hub Computer Technologies? it's located at the
G/F Unit 3 Aurora Garde Plaza, 692-694 Aurora blvd. corner Gilmore ave..nabasa ko lang kasi sa tipidpc.com eh..ok ba dito? tnx!

that's not a bad price (parang ang mura nga eh.)... have you inquired about how long the "order" will take?

not sure about PC hub technologies... but being that it's a "gilmore store"... it might be legit and reputable.  ;D

Offline backdraft

• Trade Count: (+34)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 70
« Reply #71 on: Jun 08, 2006 at 11:07 PM »
mga bossing,

ano difference ng Lite On SHM-165h6S and LG H20L . Both have the lightscribe technology and I know may DVD Ram support yung LiteOn. But other than the DVD Ram advantage ng 165h6S, ano pa kaya difference nila. Because according to bro emo_punk P3.5K yung LiteOn while yung LG is 2.5K lang sa PC Hub. OK na kaya yung LG.

Thanks.

Offline aldrinpsx

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #72 on: Jun 09, 2006 at 12:42 AM »

Pioneer DVD-RW
HP DVD640 Dual layer/Lightscribe
Plextor PX-708UF  External
Plextor PX-716UF dual layer  External
Sony  VRD VC20 dual layer 1394 External

PC mode.. making back up of Running Scared  DTS ES for the demo disc.

peace!!!

Offline backdraft

• Trade Count: (+34)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #73 on: Jun 13, 2006 at 12:04 AM »
mga bossing,

ano difference ng Lite On SHM-165h6S and LG H20L . Both have the lightscribe technology and I know may DVD Ram support yung LiteOn. But other than the DVD Ram advantage ng 165h6S, ano pa kaya difference nila. Because according to bro emo_punk P3.5K yung LiteOn while yung LG is 2.5K lang sa PC Hub. OK na kaya yung LG.

Thanks.

up ko lang to sir!

Offline SPaCeMaN SPiFF

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #74 on: Jun 13, 2006 at 06:03 AM »
^^

feature wise, it seems they are identical...

but be warned, i heard that the H20L is a non-bulk version of the GSA-4166B (they even "look" the same... H20L on top, 4166B below) which uses a panasonic chipset. these chipset are "apparently" (based of what i've read) notorious for having "writing quality troubles"... on paper tho, this seems like a good drive.  ;D

the lite-on, however, runswith a mediatek chipset... which is probably more expensive.

i must admit, i am really surprised at how HUGE the difference in price is.  :o
« Last Edit: Jun 13, 2006 at 06:08 AM by SPaCeMaN SPiFF »

Offline ronjet

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 98
« Reply #75 on: Jun 13, 2006 at 12:07 PM »
sir spaceman, how about an old model benq16 dw1620 for Php1600? compared to 1640?

Offline SPaCeMaN SPiFF

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #76 on: Jun 13, 2006 at 02:00 PM »
^^ ronjet, they seem to be the same (same chipset too: phillips nexperia) with the 1640 only applying a few alterations to improve performance and writing quality ... the most obvious of which is the size (the 1640 is shorter) and the patented "airflow" design that is supposed to keep the drive cooler during operation. see the pic below of the 1640's top side ... it has "channels" as opposed to the 1620, which is flat.

« Last Edit: Jun 13, 2006 at 02:05 PM by SPaCeMaN SPiFF »

Offline jerix

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • got no golden ears...just loving music
  • Liked:
« Reply #77 on: Jun 15, 2006 at 04:49 PM »
Bros Space, is the high jitter level really an issue to look into when choosing the writer? Is there a way to avoid it,? I am about to get the LG-GSA H10N (is this the one with a jitter prblem?) until i read the review. tnks for any info..  ::)
Samsung65MU6303/TCL4kPS49TV/OnkSR608/OnkTXNR676/Marantz/Akai/Sansui/PrjEssential-II

Offline [dcw]aaron

• DVD Addict
  • rock on!
  • Liked:
« Reply #78 on: Jun 15, 2006 at 08:51 PM »

ang hirap nman talagang hanapin nito! haaay...
Sony PS3 Slim 120GB
Samsung BD-D5100
Sony HTIB 5.1
Kaiboer H1055

Offline SPaCeMaN SPiFF

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #79 on: Jun 15, 2006 at 09:55 PM »
Bros Space, is the high jitter level really an issue to look into when choosing the writer? Is there a way to avoid it,? I am about to get the LG-GSA H10N (is this the one with a jitter prblem?) until i read the review. tnks for any info..  ::)

i think jitter is always an issue when it comes to optical discs. syempre, the less jitter, the better the recording (that's why most audiophiles prefer to burn at slower speeds... less jitter kasi) ... it would probably be easier if you check if the drive you are getting has appropriate "jitter compensation" methods in place (ex. solidburn, smartburn, etc. etc.). maybe read on how they achieve this and make an informed choice on which one you would trust.  ;)

benq at the moment is quite popular with the "solidburn" system that they are implementing on their drives. people seem to like it and techies seem to be impressed with it.  ;D
« Last Edit: Jun 15, 2006 at 10:06 PM by SPaCeMaN SPiFF »

Offline BaD_BURN

• Collector
  • Overworked and underpaid
  • Liked:
« Reply #80 on: Jun 16, 2006 at 11:00 AM »
BenQ 1640 goes for 2,889.00 and at Villman at that  ;D (cheaper in others...check out the post of Battousai)  whereas the Liteon goes for only 3.5K max...do the math...it's will come off cheaper than having the NEC or the mid priced Sony.  ;)

wow, ba't ang mahal ng DW-1640 dyan sa Manila? Here in Cebu, BenQ's 1640 drives go for around P2,250 lang.

Offline Battousai

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Akatsuki Leader
  • Liked:
« Reply #81 on: Jun 16, 2006 at 11:50 AM »
Actually 1.8K na lang dito according to Bro Alfie's friend.

Offline gbtormes16

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #82 on: Jun 17, 2006 at 04:27 PM »
wow, ba't ang mahal ng DW-1640 dyan sa Manila? Here in Cebu, BenQ's 1640 drives go for around P2,250 lang.

bro, what store did you get the BenQ 1640 for P2,250 in Cebu? ;)
Learn to regret ahead...

Offline everythingyouwant

• Collector
  • You can have everything you want....
  • Liked:
« Reply #83 on: Jun 17, 2006 at 04:38 PM »
ang magandang burner is LG H20L kasi lightscribe na sya at lg tech pa.very good combination. murang mura pa.lightscribe cd's are also super mura na at 25 pesos courtesy of cdrking.widely available na.

benq's are also good.never go for a lite-on,they're only good for dvdrom/cdrom drives but not for burners.

Offline SPaCeMaN SPiFF

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #84 on: Jun 17, 2006 at 11:16 PM »
never go for a lite-on,they're only good for dvdrom/cdrom drives but not for burners.

i beg to differ with that last comment... i have used both lite-on cd-writers and dvd-writers (as well as cd-roms and dvd-roms)... both write reliably on specified media. the only times it would make coasters is when there's software error.  ;)

lightscribe media readily available... the CDs may be... but the dvds are not... still quite scarce (and expensive...)  :-\

i have heard that benq scores poorly in lightscribe (especially the 1655). people report that it "burns" too light ... i'm sure benq will have a firmware fix for this soon enough.
« Last Edit: Jun 17, 2006 at 11:23 PM by SPaCeMaN SPiFF »

Offline everythingyouwant

• Collector
  • You can have everything you want....
  • Liked:
« Reply #85 on: Jun 17, 2006 at 11:40 PM »
i did not say that lightscribe dvd's are widely available,because it is not,but it will eventually come,law of demand and supply,a lot have already bought lightscribe burners.i only said that cdr's are and are cheap too,kasi posts above pegged it at 60pesos or higher daw.

as for the lite-on,well,as you've said,it was your experience.who can argue with that.i just hope it was only a software error.who can tell.

anyway,i'm sticking on my opinion,liteon is good only for reading(rom drives) not with burning.and it is expensive.not worth every cent when you can have one for less and is better in quality.

disclaimer:peace if this post will ever get on your nerves. :)

Offline SPaCeMaN SPiFF

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #86 on: Jun 18, 2006 at 12:40 AM »
anyway,i'm sticking on my opinion,liteon is good only for reading(rom drives) not with burning.and it is expensive.not worth every cent when you can have one for less and is better in quality.

disclaimer:peace if this post will ever get on your nerves. :)

why would it get on my nerves? this is a discussion, after all.  ;D ... i was just a little surprised at your obvious bias against lite-on and sweeping generalizations about the quality of its products. you say others are "better in quality", exactly where were you basing this on? from what i know, a lot of branded dvd-writers are actually lite-on drives under the hood. (e.g. the sony drive aldrinpsx posted. i highly doubt a big name like sony stake their reputation on an "inferior" product...  ;))

i have nothing against LG, or it's products (which i'm sure perform quite well) ... but i am always wary when a product is priced well-below it's competitors. i still believe in that old saying "you get what you pay for". :-[ (BTW, i am very surprised at the HUGE difference in price... based on internet market prices, they shouldn't be that far apart.)

as for the lighscribe CDs... they are not as readily availabe as you might think either. i have no less than 5 CD-R King stores in my immediate vicinity... and all of them are "out of stock" with the HP lightscribe CD-Rs. (good thing i purchased more than i needed the last time it was available.)  ;D i think the stores are still wary about stocking up on these because they are not fast-moving items.  :-\
« Last Edit: Jun 18, 2006 at 01:30 AM by SPaCeMaN SPiFF »

Offline ronjet

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 98
« Reply #87 on: Jun 18, 2006 at 11:06 AM »
thanks sir spaceman, i think i just settle for the benq 1640 if the price is just 200 pesos over the 1620(1600php). San kaya yung store na nakita ni sir alfie na 1,800 para sa 1640? :)

for lightscride dvdrw naman? ano ok ang benchmark?

Offline SPaCeMaN SPiFF

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #88 on: Jun 18, 2006 at 11:33 AM »
thanks sir spaceman, i think i just settle for the benq 1640 if the price is just 200 pesos over the 1620(1600php). San kaya yung store na nakita ni sir alfie na 1,800 para sa 1640? :)

for lightscride dvdrw naman? ano ok ang benchmark?

cool... i think the store he mentioned is in the "gilmore area"... konting ikot-ikot lang dun, i'm sure you'll find it.  ;)

i believe all lightscribe drives burn lightscribe designs at 1x... so check samples on the net of the ones you are considering. also check the "tracking" ability of the drive. not many people know this but you can actually burn additional stuff on a lightscribe disc even after burning the inital design. it does this by using the "bar code" located at the inner ring of the label side. i've heard that some drives do this better than others... so that could be a factor to consider. i can't speak for the others by my lite-on does this very well. i successfully burned additional elements onto a design i made months ago.  ;)
« Last Edit: Jun 18, 2006 at 11:42 AM by SPaCeMaN SPiFF »

Offline jerix

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • got no golden ears...just loving music
  • Liked:
« Reply #89 on: Jun 19, 2006 at 08:23 AM »
I am wondering with my LG GSA H10N it reads all my burned video DVDs smoothly without errors in complete contrast with how my Toshiba SDR5372V reads these. is this a good sign or bad sign? tnx ::)
Samsung65MU6303/TCL4kPS49TV/OnkSR608/OnkTXNR676/Marantz/Akai/Sansui/PrjEssential-II