Author Topic: Simple na HT set-up  (Read 8077 times)

Offline wedge

• Trade Count: (0)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Scott me up, beamie!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Simple na HT set-up
« Reply #60 on: May 24, 2007 at 11:00 AM »
Thanks!

Ricky also said the same thing. I was wondering vice-versa naman. If i decide to push through with the Yamaha receiver, what kind of speakers would you recommend? Thanks ulit :)

Offline MAtZTER

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • More POWER to your HT! literally ...
  • Liked:
« Reply #61 on: May 24, 2007 at 11:22 AM »
Since you are in the U.S. and your room is big,  try high sensitivity speakers from Klipsch & Pure Acoustics. Floorstanders are a must for your big room.

Try the flagship Dream 76 from Pure Acoustics, its huge w/ two 8" woofers & at 92 sensitivity. Piano finish pa. The prices are affordable. You will have lots of funds left for other stuff (like a power amp or 2 woofers >:D).

www.pure-acoustics.com

If you do not need the internet radio & networking features of the 2700, you may settle for the Yamaha 1700, w/c I read has the same power specs as the 2700, minus the networking & internet features.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2007 at 11:46 AM by MAtZTER »

Offline wedge

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Scott me up, beamie!
  • Liked:
« Reply #62 on: May 24, 2007 at 11:44 AM »
Thanks ulit:)

Actually, we're not going for the house with the "big room" (technicalities prevented us from doing so), kaya I'll be setting it up on a standard sized family room which I think the dimensions would be 10 ft x 10 ft (or something close to that +/-).

I am also wondering about the display vs room dimensions. Is it adviseable for a 65" tv on that kind of room size? I'll be starting to purchase those na kasi next week kaya i'm sprinting to you guys for advice.

Many thanks again :)

Offline wedge

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Scott me up, beamie!
  • Liked:
« Reply #63 on: May 26, 2007 at 12:12 PM »
So, I scratched the Yamaha receiver off my list and instead an acquaintance reco'ed Denon AVR-2807. I am about to order this na, kaya I'm again, seeking your thoughts about it? And if I do push through with this, is it, um, Infinity-friendly or do I need to totally revise my speakers list?

Thanks in advance :)

Offline MAtZTER

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #64 on: May 26, 2007 at 12:34 PM »
I once had a 50in RPTV in a 10ft x 10ft area. It was dizzying cuz the TV was so near our faces (cuz of the depth of the RPTV).  :P A flat panel TV is better recommended.

For the smaller 10ft by 10ft room, the lower model receivers are ok (ok na yung 2807), and you dont need FS IMhO, BS would do plus a good sub.

There is a risk of FS being boomy in such a small room (had a similar experience), specially if not acoustically treated.

I would recommend that you pour the savings you got from downsizing from a FS and high model receiver to:
1.) a good 10" sub (HSU, SVS, Atlantic, Velodyne or Klipsch)
2.) upgrade to mid level (higher than entry level) BS setup (Atlantic, Klipsch).
« Last Edit: Jun 17, 2007 at 02:45 PM by MAtZTER »

Offline MAtZTER

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #65 on: May 26, 2007 at 12:48 PM »
If you are gonna use the setup for HT only, I would recommend the american brands (Klipsch, Velo, Atlantic, JBL), w/c IMO, tends to excel (or specialize) more in HT.

I believe that its still best for specialized HT speakers & specialized audio speakers to get the best of both worlds. Since Denon & Yamaha have speaker A or B switching, a good opton is you can use speaker B for a separate audio specialty speaker and hang your HT BS speaker (Speaker A) on a wall or shelf. Atlantic Technology has sealed type, wall hangable speakers.

See the HT gallery, there are many examples.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2007 at 12:51 PM by MAtZTER »

Offline wedge

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Scott me up, beamie!
  • Liked:
« Reply #66 on: May 26, 2007 at 12:52 PM »
Oh, thanks! :)

Hm, so the setup would be: a receiver, a center channel speaker, two bookshelf speakers, two surrounds and a sub? Any other additional accessories that I should know of? (Hehe, wala talaga akong alam dito, and if i had someone install them for me, mahal ang labor dito ;D)

TIA :)

Offline wedge

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Scott me up, beamie!
  • Liked:
« Reply #67 on: May 26, 2007 at 12:59 PM »
Yep, I've been browsing the HT Gallery nga since the time I planned on having one.

My dad's setup kasi sa Pinas involves 6 speakers all-in-all: center, 2 FS, 2 satellites, and a sub; luma na rin pati ung receiver (1996 pa nya kasi pinagawa, and he's not an audio/videophile kasi); and his setup kasi ang naging "paradigm of an HT" ko. Hehe. ;D

Offline dts-HD 3D

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 16
« Reply #68 on: May 26, 2007 at 03:00 PM »
I just want to share a bit based on my experience, if you're going to get the Infinity speakers pair it w/ Harman Kardon receiver. Believe Sir Matz's advise(i'm a believer :D) to get at least the 340 they sound bigger, I'm not much w/ the tech. terms but as per my observation mas buo yung tunog and you dont have to crank the volume all the way up para makuha mo yung effect just like in the cinemas. Biggest improvement is on the bass management compared to my Yamaha 659 before. You just have to play around w/ the treble or 'tone in' settings to get the highs come out a bit medyo warm kasi ang Infinity. Good luck on your set-up!

Offline wedge

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Scott me up, beamie!
  • Liked:
« Reply #69 on: May 28, 2007 at 06:09 AM »
Is it okay if I pair them with a Denon receiver? I ordered the receiver na and it'll probably ship next week. The speakers, I'm still stumped on what to get and what to consider. Aside from being an HT, i'll also be using them for playing music, so I think it's practically an all-around setup.

Offline audiojunkie

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • >>|<< OB - Dipole Rules >>|<<
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #70 on: May 28, 2007 at 12:50 PM »
 ;D  ;D Good choice of Denon receiver, I have 2802 and most of pinoy guys sold their Yamaha when they heard denon. Sir MatZ has a very nice advice. Have time to compare or listen to them. 

Good Luck. .. :D  :D
Anthem CD1
Anthem Pre1
Audio Linear TT
Ortofon Rondo Red
Theta Dac
GTA SE-40 Amp
JBL L7
AudioQuest

Offline wedge

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Scott me up, beamie!
  • Liked:
« Reply #71 on: Jun 02, 2007 at 01:16 PM »
:)

Okay, so now I got my receiver. My recurring problem is the speaker setup. As per sir Matz's suggestion, I'm downsizing to a BS setup. Would that mean i won't be needing satellite speakers?

Thanks ;D

Offline audiojunkie

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #72 on: Jun 02, 2007 at 04:32 PM »
Congratz to your new receiver.  8)  8)
To set-up: have the manual handy, it's yous immediate consultant.  ::)  ::)
you can find the basic set-up for speakers, sub and other components you want to be connected.
you must connect to TV for OSD coz some menu don't show at receiver's display.

Good and enjoy!  ;D  ;D
Anthem CD1
Anthem Pre1
Audio Linear TT
Ortofon Rondo Red
Theta Dac
GTA SE-40 Amp
JBL L7
AudioQuest

Offline MAtZTER

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #73 on: Jun 02, 2007 at 05:52 PM »
I have been reading some HT mags and there are a TON of choices for speakers there in the U.S.

Try Klipsch RB10 system:

Or try speakers from RBH or Axiom

Look at these recommendations:
$3,500 system
$5,000 system
$7,500 system

« Last Edit: Jun 02, 2007 at 05:53 PM by MAtZTER »

Offline audiojunkie

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #74 on: Jun 02, 2007 at 07:41 PM »
I was facinated what the sound of axiom speakers. Unluckly, no dealer is available in my location. So I settled on Paradigm Studio Reference 60 v2, CC-370 v3 at the time, and other mix apeakers for my surround.  :(  :(

Anyway, I'm happy of what I have now. ;D  ;D
http://www.audioreview.com/cat/speakers/floorstanding-speakers/paradigm-reference/PRD_120332_1594crx.aspx
Anthem CD1
Anthem Pre1
Audio Linear TT
Ortofon Rondo Red
Theta Dac
GTA SE-40 Amp
JBL L7
AudioQuest

Offline wedge

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Scott me up, beamie!
  • Liked:
« Reply #75 on: Jun 07, 2007 at 01:17 PM »
We got the display na rin recently. I held back with the LCD TV primarily due to financial constraints. So, eventually we decided on a 1080p 56" DLP . Although I am aware of the eventual bulb replacement (2 to 3 years ata?), pero ok na rin. Speakers and interconnects na lang ang kulang. :)

Offline wedge

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Scott me up, beamie!
  • Liked:
« Reply #76 on: Jun 17, 2007 at 07:49 AM »

Here's a temporary set-up of our HT. I'm still waiting for other components to arrive.

Offline audiojunkie

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #77 on: Jun 17, 2007 at 12:25 PM »

Here's a temporary set-up of our HT. I'm still waiting for other components to arrive.

Congratz to your new display! ... :D  :D coool  ;D  ;D
Anthem CD1
Anthem Pre1
Audio Linear TT
Ortofon Rondo Red
Theta Dac
GTA SE-40 Amp
JBL L7
AudioQuest

Offline wedge

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Scott me up, beamie!
  • Liked:
« Reply #78 on: Jun 26, 2007 at 05:45 AM »
Thanks  :)

Anyway, question lang: Is it possible to isolate sounds to the center channel? I mean, right now, all dialogues are routed to all speakers, kaya parang echoey cia and there are instances wherein the background sounds drown out the dialogues. I'm using Denon 2807 as my receiver and I've been trying to tweak it last night, but I think I made it worse.

Offline ericag_ph

• DVD Addict
  • Oompa Loompas rule!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #79 on: Jun 26, 2007 at 12:52 PM »
Not sure if I understood your question....but if you plug-in a DVD disc that is dolby digital or DTS 5.1, and your receiver is set to dolby digital or DTS (not pro logic or stereo mode), you should be able to hear dialogue from only the center speaker rather than all speakers.

You can also check your audio connections at the rear of the receiver.

Thanks  :)

Anyway, question lang: Is it possible to isolate sounds to the center channel? I mean, right now, all dialogues are routed to all speakers, kaya parang echoey cia and there are instances wherein the background sounds drown out the dialogues. I'm using Denon 2807 as my receiver and I've been trying to tweak it last night, but I think I made it worse.

Offline wedge

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Scott me up, beamie!
  • Liked:
« Reply #80 on: Jun 27, 2007 at 10:15 AM »
Thanks bro,

The other night I tried on both a DD and DTS soundtracked disc, but the dialogues on the center channel are still drowned out by the background sound. Any possible causes? I've been reading the manual pero still could not find the reason. I have 5 speakers + SW, btw.

TIA  ;D

Offline MAtZTER

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #81 on: Jun 27, 2007 at 10:40 AM »
Use the Audesey "auto calibration" mike of the 2807

Offline ericag_ph

• DVD Addict
  • Oompa Loompas rule!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #82 on: Jun 27, 2007 at 11:35 AM »
How did you connect the DVD player to the receiver? 
Fiber optic cable or coax or analog RCA stereo (L and R)?
If RCA stereo, that might explain the problem.
Use coax or Fiber optic cable for the 5.1 digital audio.

If you use both digital audio and analog connections,
go to the menu of the receiver and/or DVD player and
select the 5.1 audio setting.

Thanks bro,

The other night I tried on both a DD and DTS soundtracked disc, but the dialogues on the center channel are still drowned out by the background sound. Any possible causes? I've been reading the manual pero still could not find the reason. I have 5 speakers + SW, btw.

TIA  ;D

Offline wedge

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Scott me up, beamie!
  • Liked:
« Reply #83 on: Oct 31, 2007 at 10:47 PM »
Hi, quick Q lang.

I think there's something wrong with my receiver. I'm using a Denon 2807. It seems that the receiver instantly turns off in the middle of something, and there is a blinking red light on the power button.

What might be the reason and what should I do with it? I'm holding back on sending it for repair since it'll cost that much.

Thanks in advance.

Offline parak

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #84 on: Oct 31, 2007 at 11:21 PM »
Hi, quick Q lang.

I think there's something wrong with my receiver. I'm using a Denon 2807. It seems that the receiver instantly turns off in the middle of something, and there is a blinking red light on the power button.

What might be the reason and what should I do with it? I'm holding back on sending it for repair since it'll cost that much.

Thanks in advance.

di kaya overheating?

Offline wedge

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Scott me up, beamie!
  • Liked:
« Reply #85 on: Oct 31, 2007 at 11:30 PM »
I initially thought na baka (since our media cabinet is an enclosed one), pero I pulled it out of the cabinet and placed it sa lapag na lang to cool it down. Then I tried it again (after it cooled down) pero nawawala pa rin in the middle of something.

I also checked the speaker cables na baka loose lang sila, pero ganun pa rin. The receiver would be on for a couple of minutes then biglang mag-off with a blinking red light on the power button.

Offline audiojunkie

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #86 on: Nov 01, 2007 at 12:39 PM »
Hi, quick Q lang.

Thanks in advance.

I got Denon 2802 Gold and til now did not have that problem. If all connections have been checked and evrything is in proper places, this might be impedance mis-match, Denon is compatible only from 6-16 ohms and lower than that will create problems with it's stability or performance. Most speakers' impedance spacified by the manufacturers don't dwell as they said in the specs, in reality it goes lower. so if your speaker is 6 ohms in real world it is bet 4-6 ohms.

So, check your speakers impedance....
and what speakers you are using pala? 
Anthem CD1
Anthem Pre1
Audio Linear TT
Ortofon Rondo Red
Theta Dac
GTA SE-40 Amp
JBL L7
AudioQuest

Offline MAtZTER

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #87 on: Nov 02, 2007 at 10:25 AM »
If its still under warranty, have it repaired right away. You dont have to pay anything since any defects like that is covered under the warranty.

Offline ricky

• Trade Count: (+68)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Duh?
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 544
« Reply #88 on: Nov 02, 2007 at 12:17 PM »
If its still under warranty, have it repaired right away. You dont have to pay anything since any defects like that is covered under the warranty.

Pare hindi yata lahat ng shop practices this rule ::) :P

Offline wedge

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Scott me up, beamie!
  • Liked:
« Reply #89 on: Nov 03, 2007 at 03:34 AM »
I got Denon 2802 Gold and til now did not have that problem. If all connections have been checked and evrything is in proper places, this might be impedance mis-match, Denon is compatible only from 6-16 ohms and lower than that will create problems with it's stability or performance. Most speakers' impedance spacified by the manufacturers don't dwell as they said in the specs, in reality it goes lower. so if your speaker is 6 ohms in real world it is bet 4-6 ohms.

So, check your speakers impedance....
and what speakers you are using pala? 

Thanks. Hm. Forgive me, but I'm really inept at this stuff. How would I know the speakers' impedance? I'm using Klipsch speakers for the setup, and JBL for the satellites.

Usually, the problem only occurs if I turn the volume at 16 to lowest. Then we attached the videoke mic one time at the V.Aux port and the problem occured again. THough I've been using the same port whenever I plug in the Playstation, and haven't had any problems with it.