Author Topic: speaker sensitivity  (Read 4222 times)

Offline hattori_hanzo

• Trade Count: (0)
  • DVD Guru
  • LOUD and CLEAR! Mabuhay ang mga PCCian na bagets!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: speaker Sensitivity
« Reply #30 on: Jun 10, 2006 at 02:19 PM »
ano po ba halaga ng sensitivity sa pag pili ng speaker if my reciever is only 80 watts ano speaker sensitivity kaya ng reciever ko ilang  maximum watts kaya ng reciever  :) :)

thank's po

hanap ka ng 95db pataas na speakers para madali idrive ng amp mo, the higher the sensitivity the better...   
PCCian... kumbento boys!

Pipho (pinoy photography) member

Offline audibleillusions

• Collector
  • Hi-fi, HT,Professional Audio and Video Store
  • Liked:
« Reply #31 on: Jun 10, 2006 at 05:11 PM »
Sir Gud Day

Try nyo Monitor Audio B2

The new B2, like its redoubtable predecessor, is 2-way design intended for stand or shelf mounting. Its 6.5-inch MMP® Mk2 bass-mid driver is unique to it and designed to deliver punchy, powerful bass and transparent mid-range right up to the crossover point with the tweeter at 2.8KHz. Special figure eight internal bracing gives very rigid construction, helping the B2 to achieve a clean, un-boxy sound reminiscent of high end speakers using very, heavy or high-tech construction techniques. The front-ported design makes siting less critical than with many rivals speakers.

The Bronze B2 can be placed close to a rear wall without the bass becoming boomy - a big advantage in smaller rooms.

Often, consumers are attracted to and impressed by speakers that can handle the largest amount of wattage. However, wattage is just one factor to consider among many. Just because a speaker can handle more wattage does not necessarily mean that it will play louder or sound better.

To find out the real story, one needs to consider the sensitivity specification together with the wattage rating. The sensitivity specification basically states how much sound comes out for a given input (analogous to a miles-per-gallon rating for a car). The sensitivity spec is determined by the manufacturer, and often takes the following form: "x" dB / 1 watt / 1 meter. "x" is the sound level in dB, and may be anywhere from about 85 to 105 dB, depending upon the speaker model (a spec in the low to mid 90s is common). The spec is determined (at the vendor's factory) by driving the speaker with 1 watt of electrical energy and measuring the acoustic output at a distance of one meter (using a calibrated microphone). There are a number of variations in measurement procedures due to the variety of speaker models, too many details to cover at this time.

So, what does this all mean? Consider two speakers, Model A and Model B. Model A has a wattage rating of 200 watts and a sensitivity rating of 101dB/W/M. Model B has a wattage rating of 600 watts and has a sensitivity rating of 97 dB/W/M. The maximum output from Model A (with 200 W input) is 124 dB; the maximum output of Model B (with 600 W input) is 124.8 dB (most people would not be able to hear a 0.8 dB difference in sound level). So, as can be seen from the numbers, Model A and Model B have nearly identical maximum output, even though Model B can handle three times as much power! (I haven't gone into mathematical details of how I came up with the maximum numbers... a topic for another day). It is interesting to note however... for top end speakers (of the same type), the maximum output of them are all similar. In other words, speakers that handle a lot of power often have lower sensitivity numbers. Speakers with the highest sensitivity numbers typically can't handle as much power. You are not likely to find a speaker than can both handle a ton of power and also have a high sensitivity rating. Amplifier power is relatively costly, so speakers that are more efficient (generate more sound with a smaller input) are generally desired so long as you are satisfied with the sound characteristic.

CONCLUSION: DON"T SELECT A SPEAKER BASED ON WATTAGE RATING ALONE! As we saw in the above example, two speakers that (to the unknowing) might seem much different actually put out nearly the same amount of sound. Model B requires a much more powerful amplifier to get the same maximum output; powerful amplifiers are certainly available but weigh more and cost more!

Offline hattori_hanzo

• DVD Guru
  • LOUD and CLEAR! Mabuhay ang mga PCCian na bagets!
  • Liked:
« Reply #32 on: Jun 10, 2006 at 06:20 PM »
in laymans term bili ka sa kanila hehehe! (joke)  ;D ;D ;D well there you go, direct from the most expirienced ones...
PCCian... kumbento boys!

Pipho (pinoy photography) member

Offline bono vox

• Trade Count: (+63)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
speaker sensitivity issue
« Reply #33 on: Apr 12, 2007 at 10:30 AM »
what is the effect of speaker sensitivity to amplifier?
is it, if low value is hard to drive?
tia.  ;D

Offline butchoy8701

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Collector
  • Vacuum tube lover
  • Liked:
Re: speaker sensitivity issue
« Reply #34 on: Apr 12, 2007 at 12:37 PM »
what is the effect of speaker sensitivity to amplifier?
is it, if low value is hard to drive?
tia.  ;D

Hi Bono vox,

we have a similar thread discussing this issue, please click on the link below:

http://pinoydvd.com/board/index.php?topic=48141.0

Offline bono vox

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #35 on: Apr 12, 2007 at 01:25 PM »
thanks butchoy,  :D

it helps... in simple way, say i have an 120w/ch avr, driving 7channels... then a bookshelf speaker of 10-120w, 8 ohms, 90db sensitivity against same speaker and specss but 87db sensitivity. the question is:
1. how does it effect the sound between these two speakers?
2. will my avr gives more power to the lower impedance speaker?
thanks.  ;D

Online bumblebee

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #36 on: Apr 12, 2007 at 01:40 PM »
1. how does it effect the sound between these two speakers?

The more sensitive speaker will be louder given the same amount of power.

2. will my avr gives more power to the lower impedance speaker?
thanks.  ;D

Given the same amount of power supplied, the amp will give off more current to the speaker with the lower impedance.

Offline bono vox

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #37 on: Apr 12, 2007 at 01:51 PM »
thanks bumblebee  ;D
why is it kasi na mayroon pang different sensitivity ang mga speakers bukod sa impedance...hehehehe  ???

Offline MAtZTER

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • More POWER to your HT! literally ...
  • Liked:
« Reply #38 on: Apr 12, 2007 at 02:29 PM »
Just remember,

sensitivity is related to loudness, and louder does not necessarily= better SQ  :)

Offline skylark

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 8
95 up speaker sensitivity
« Reply #39 on: Apr 14, 2007 at 06:31 AM »
Ano po ba brand ng speaker na me mataas na sensitivity 95 up to drive a denon 80 watts per channel im more on music rock,alternatives acoustics

THANK'S TO ALL  ;) ;)

Offline onedown

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • DVD Addict
  • peace man!
  • Liked:
Re: 95 up speaker sensitivity
« Reply #40 on: Apr 14, 2007 at 08:35 AM »
try von schweikert. contact jackd at wiredstate for pricing and audition.
peace man!

Offline psychodreamer

• Collector
  • +Live+
  • Liked:
« Reply #41 on: Apr 14, 2007 at 12:11 PM »
Klipsch is one 'common' brand with a line of high-sensitivity speakers.
Lines cut across my face...

Offline muypogi

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • DVD Guru
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #42 on: Apr 14, 2007 at 12:42 PM »
Ano po ba brand ng speaker na me mataas na sensitivity 95 up to drive a denon 80 watts per channel im more on music rock,alternatives acoustics

THANK'S TO ALL  ;) ;)

Just curious though, why 95db and up?  Do you have a tube amp?  89-90 should be enough for most applications and amps. . . Cheaper too.

Offline skylark

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 8
« Reply #43 on: Apr 14, 2007 at 04:04 PM »
some says its better to have a higher sensitivity if ur avr rated 80 watts just want to have some ideas before getting one thanks

Offline Superman

• Trade Count: (+138)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Master Showman Presents...
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 366
« Reply #44 on: Apr 14, 2007 at 05:22 PM »
not really...proper matching is the name of the game! IMHO 80wpc is a lot of power, as compared the SET amps @ 2.5wpc or 9wpc...check also the impedance...thanks! :D
« Last Edit: Apr 14, 2007 at 05:24 PM by Superman »
Fyne|EAR|Hana|Technics|SAEC|Wiim|Western Electric|Audiolab|Acrolink|Oyaide|Oppo|Tellurium

Offline psychodreamer

• Collector
  • +Live+
  • Liked:
« Reply #45 on: Apr 14, 2007 at 07:17 PM »
Yup I agree, I don't wouldn't mind the sensitivity as well, as long as the sound is good.

Skylark,  you might be missing out on many outstanding speakers if you don't consider those with lower sensitivities. Just an unsolicited advice.. :)
Lines cut across my face...