Author Topic: OPPO Digital DV971H  (Read 4545 times)

Offline marco

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Apprentice
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
OPPO Digital DV971H
« on: Jun 07, 2005 at 09:50 AM »
For those of you who are looking for a cheaper alternative to the denon upscaling players, you might want to check out the oppo. I got mine through HK Flix for $199, spent another $90 for fedex (kasi hindi ako makapaghintay) and about P3000 for customs duties and taxes. Coming up to about the same price as the samsung..... but this is a much better player (I'm sure makakamura pa if you take an alternative shipping arrangement).

In terms of how the player fares, please look at the avs forums on the oppo, they cover just about anything that can be said about the player....both good and bad. As for my own observations, ang laki na ginanda from both my sony dvd/sacd player with progressive scan and an old nextbase player as well. This is of course after the firmware upgrades. The "ganda" is of course only seen through the DVI output. I have a toshiba rptv that can take in HD quality signals through DVI. Am happy with the set up.........hope this takes care of my addiction for the meantime.
« Last Edit: Jan 08, 2006 at 07:55 AM by firewired »

Offline upinsmoke

• Collector
  • Liked:
Re: OPPO Digital DV971H
« Reply #1 on: Jul 04, 2005 at 06:05 PM »
I bought this player through www.hkflix.com too.  It's worth every penny.  The player cost $199 and $18 for Sound & Vision home tune-up DVD.  Another $95 for Fedex International Economy.  When it got to my doorstep, I paid P3,000 in tax.  Overall, it's still less expensive than anything equal of its kind sold here.
« Last Edit: Jan 08, 2006 at 07:56 AM by firewired »

Offline firewired

• Kapitan
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7
« Reply #2 on: Jan 08, 2006 at 07:54 AM »
Any new feedback from OPPO OPDV971H owners? There've been several firmware updates since July with the latest one having been released just before Christmas.

There are cases of plasma and LCD users experiencing MB due to the Faroudja chip but does this affect rear projection (specifically DLP) setups?

After researching online extensively, I've pretty much narrowed down my options to the OPPO (DVI) and the Toshiba SD-6980 universal player (HDMI). Discussions regarding the OPPO are sometimes polarized because of favorable comparisons to high-end players from companies like Denon. Heck if I spent US$3.5-K on a Denon 5910 and was told that a US$199 budget player had equal or better output, I'd be thoroughly pissed as well!
« Last Edit: Jan 08, 2006 at 08:50 PM by firewired »
PinoyDVD: The Pinoy Digital Video & Devices Community

Offline upinsmoke

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: Jan 11, 2006 at 05:30 PM »
I have it for 6 months now and I'm still happy with it.  It's paired up with a DLP RPTV.  Macroblocking is a problem if the picture quality of your DVD title is poor to begin with.  What it does, I think, is it amplifies the mess.  So if your DVD has crappy picture quality to begin with, it would just make it crappier.  If your DVD has excellent picture quality, the picture is superb.  Most DVDs these days have high bit rate anyway, so this isn't always a problem.

If you have to play crappy DVDs with it and experiencing MB problem, just turn on CSS and then turn off trulife.  The picture quality won't be as good as when trulife is on, but it almost eliminates all the MB problems, the PQ is still way better than progressive scan DVDs.
« Last Edit: Jan 11, 2006 at 05:34 PM by upinsmoke »

Offline dagul27

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: Jun 27, 2006 at 07:15 PM »
Hello peeps,sorry for the late update.Anyway,the OPPO OPDV971H upconverting DVD player overview:

OPPO OPDV971H Overview:

DVI (Digital Video Interface) output to eliminate flickers and to produce more clear pictures

High resolutions include 480p, 540P, 576p, 720p, 1080i
Up Convert from 480i to 720p/1080i
DCDi by Faroudja. Video is analyzed on a single pixel granularity to detect presence or absence of angled lines and edges, which are then processed to produce a smooth natural looking image without visible artifacts (jaggies)
Plays DivX® 5, DivX® 4, DivX® 3, and DivX® VOD video content (in compliance with DivX Certified™ technical requirements)
Plays XviD and .SRT, .SMI, .IDX and .SUB formats
Per-pixel Motion Adaptive De-interlacing
Patented Film Mode Processing ( Used for proper de-interlacing of 3:2 and 2:2 pull down material)

Functions:
DVD Video, DVD Audio, Divx/MPEG4, Audio CD, HDCD, WMA, DVD+R/RW, DVD-R/RW, CD-R/RW, Kodak Picture
Super Error Correction with Twin Laser and Intelligent Laser Wavelength Control
PAL / NTSC discs
Automatic screen saver
Menu Driven Setup Screen
Playability of self-recorded discs may vary depending on media and formatting software types

Video:
108MHz/12bit Video D/A Converter
DVI Output
NTSC / PAL Output
Screen Aspect Ratio 4:3 and 16:9
Smart Video: Sharpness/Contrast/Brightness/Saturation
Multi-Angled View
Multi-Language for On-Screen-Display

Audio:
192 KHz Sampling Frequency, 24-Bit High Quality Audio DAC
Dolby Digital Down-mixed 2-Ch Stereo (L. R)
Built-in Dolby digital Decoder, Dolby Digital (AC3) 5.1 Channel Output
Built-in DTS Digital Decoder, DTS 5.1 Channel Output
Dolby Digital/DTS/LCPM Bitstream Output
3D Surround (Virtual Surround): Concert, Live, Dance, Techno, Classic, Soft

Power Supply:
~~110V - ~~250V, 50Hz/60Hz AC Universal Power Supply
Automatic Short Circuit Protection

Connectors:
Analog (Mixed 2 Ch) Stereo (Left, Right) Audio
S/PDIF (IEC-958) Coaxial/Optical Digital Audio
Component Video/Composite Video/S-Video
DVI (5' DVI-DVI-D cable included)
Bonus: 6' DVI-HDMI cable
5.1 Channel Audio

*taken from OPPO website(www.oppodigital.com)

All i can say is that im really impressed with this product.A bit of a warning though,if your TV does not have DVI or HDMI, you might want to stick with a regular progressive scan DVD player because it will not upconvert through component,s-video or composite nor VGA.Also, depending on the quality of the DVD, there's very minimal or unnoticeable improvements with regards to picture quality.Most noticeable of course is when playing Computer Generated movies like "The Incredibles",PQ was very sharp(on a 32" LCD screen).I just finished watching Terminator 2 Extreme Edition @ 720p resolution and it was very nice indeed.Considering it's an old movie but remastered to achieve HD quality,wow!
As for the physical aspects of the player,everything looks good except for the DVD tray.It's a little flimsy so extra care is required.Oh,it has a universal power supply so no need for transformers.I highly recommend this player if you're looking for a good DVD upconverter player.It will easily beat other name brand upconverter DVD players but of course,only you can decide for yourself.Remember that old adage, "beauty is in the eyes of the beholder".

Offline Depth of Field

• Collector
  • Be Thankful!
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: Jun 27, 2006 at 07:21 PM »
where can we buy this and how much?

Offline dagul27

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: Jun 27, 2006 at 08:12 PM »
I'm here in the US right now.i ordered mine from their website,www.oppodigital.com for $199.I think amazon  has it too for $199.99.

Offline firewired

• Kapitan
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7
« Reply #7 on: Jun 27, 2006 at 11:03 PM »
Merged with the original OPPO thread. Why'd you decide to go for the DV-971H over the newer and less expensive DV-970HD? SHTHF has a glowing review of it:

Oppo Digital - DV-970HD
« Last Edit: Jun 27, 2006 at 11:04 PM by firewired »
PinoyDVD: The Pinoy Digital Video & Devices Community

Offline dagul27

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: Jun 27, 2006 at 11:31 PM »
They didn't have the DV-970HD on their website when i bought mine.Looking at the comparison on their website,the DV-970HD uses a different chip for processing video.

Offline upinsmoke

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: Jun 28, 2006 at 02:57 AM »
The only reason why I bought the DV971H is for the Faroudja chip.  The 970HD doesn't have one.

Offline jomonds

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Collector
  • Tralalalala!!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: Jul 02, 2006 at 05:10 PM »
The DV971H has a higher rating from SHTHF compared to the new 970HD.  The DV971H is still a good option.

Offline FlyMe

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: Jul 03, 2006 at 08:39 AM »
I looked into the option of bringing the 971 here. It will cost me almost 20T.  How does this compare to the readily available Denon 1920 which has the DCDI chip.

Offline ericag_ph

• DVD Addict
  • Oompa Loompas rule!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: Jul 17, 2006 at 02:45 PM »
Oppo vs Neuneo

http://www.consumersearch.com/www/electronics/dvd-players/reviews.html

I bought mine from Amazon.com ($199) way back (my old amazon review should still be there), and had someone bring it to Manila
I am quite satisfied by it's performance and reliability.

Offline ericag_ph

• DVD Addict
  • Oompa Loompas rule!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: Jul 17, 2006 at 02:49 PM »
I was looking at Denon before buying the oppo...but the Denon was region coded.
I was also looking at Momitsu... but I prefer Faroudja/DCDI  (OPPO)...so I ended up with the OPPO.

My Oppo review at Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00078GLJY/sr=8-1/qid=1153154561/ref=pd_bbs_1/102-6276211-3292121?ie=UTF8

oh, btw, my HT room pictures:
http://pinoydvd.com/board/index.php?topic=55046.msg601343#msg601343

I looked into the option of bringing the 971 here. It will cost me almost 20T.  How does this compare to the readily available Denon 1920 which has the DCDI chip.
« Last Edit: Jul 18, 2006 at 12:45 AM by ericag_ph »

Offline JT

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • GOD RULES!!!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 13
« Reply #14 on: Aug 20, 2006 at 03:44 AM »
Im planning to buy OPPO DV-970HD to replace my samsung HD748. Both DV-970HD and DV-971HD are available in Singapore around 300sgd (10k pesos).   I prefer the 970 kasi universal player and not much PQ difference with the 971.

http://www.oppodigital.com/dv970hd/dv970hd.html
http://www.hometheaterspot.com/htsthreads/tech-review.php?rev=99
http://www.projectorcentral.com/OPPO_DV-970HD_DVD_Player_Review.htm

http://www.oppodigital.com/opdv971h.html

Offline FlyMe

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: Aug 28, 2006 at 08:03 PM »
If you want an OPPO, Its worth looking at the Cambridge Audio DVD89. People say its same as Oppo inside... Its slightly more expensive  compared to Oppo's landed price. The price difference is worth it when you see how it looks.

Just my 2 cents.

Offline du1mij

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: Sep 03, 2006 at 08:36 AM »

'Might be able to bring it in for around PhP17K only (could be less).  Enticing?  ;)

Offline sillyputty

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Collector
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: Sep 03, 2006 at 10:03 AM »
i already saw the oppo and am currently using the denon...
for video i'd go with the oppo..
over-all i'd go with the denon...
its a universal player...and its quite good with audio cds  ;)
« Last Edit: Sep 03, 2006 at 10:04 AM by sillyputty »

Offline Moks007

• Trade Count: (+51)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Bond, James Bond
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2410
« Reply #18 on: Sep 20, 2006 at 02:11 PM »
do they have this player in the philippines, if yes, how much in pesos and where Thanks

Offline du1mij

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: Sep 21, 2006 at 10:32 PM »
do they have this player in the philippines, if yes, how much in pesos and where Thanks

Sadly, Oppo has confirmed that they do not have any authorized Philippine distributors.  In fact, if you search through the forum, the owners actually imported their units either via HKFLIX or some other method.

Offline Moks007

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Bond, James Bond
  • Liked:
« Reply #20 on: Sep 22, 2006 at 09:24 PM »
ok thanks, so roughly it will be around 15 thou pesos based on what I read. 199 usd plus 12.95 usd I think for the cheap route and 3000 pesos custom duties and tax

Offline dagul27

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: Sep 23, 2006 at 12:54 PM »
I'll be selling my Oppo DVD player when the HD-DVD drive for the xbox 360 comes out.I'll be in the Phil. this december.Just PM me if interested.I will post again in the buy and sell thread when it comes out. ;D

Offline du1mij

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: Sep 23, 2006 at 03:40 PM »
ok thanks, so roughly it will be around 15 thou pesos based on what I read. 199 usd plus 12.95 usd I think for the cheap route and 3000 pesos custom duties and tax

Where did you get the 12.95 USD shipping figure?  That might be just for shipping to the U.S. only.  Shipping directly to the Philippines will cost more.

I'm seriously considering to order a 971H myself.  I'll let you know when I get the figures in.  :)
« Last Edit: Sep 23, 2006 at 06:55 PM by DU1MIJ »

Offline Moks007

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Bond, James Bond
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: Sep 23, 2006 at 04:50 PM »
yes sorry made a mistake, I got too excited hehe...I got this from HKFLIX.com Sorry for sounding stupid but I thought this is a hong kong company, which is close to us so it would be cheaper to send by air. Is this a USA based company? Yes pls let me know DU1MIJ how much you will be spending because if it will be close to 20 thousand pesos then I will just get the Denon 1920. Its selling locally at 19500 pesos without all the hastle of ordering. I also asked a store before and giving me a good price of 16,000 cash (the problem is I wont know if its brand new, they say they have stock, at 16,000 to 16,500 pesos and Im having my doubts if its new at this price) . By the way How do you guys compare these 2 players. Denon 1920 is component only I think no HDMI while oppo is DVI to hdmi. Whats the chip difference? I figured since I have a lot of dvds maybe 250 to 300 (more on region 3, maybe 20   percent region1), and I have like 500 to 600 more on p.... disc (which I havent watch on most of them).   I will just spend on a nice player like this because the Toshiba HDDVD is not region free at the moment on standard disc. Starting to buy titles all over again (which at the moment are limited ) I dont see buying hddvd or blue ray (if it wins) until maybe in the first half of 2008 or late 2007. I have a pioneer 383 I think thats the model,  and the samsung hometheater giveaway they include when one buy the Samsung 32r71, and Orange (for p...disc sometimes when it wont play on reg. dvd player) as my players now. What can you guys suggest. I just stick it out with these players or upgrade. Thanks

Offline du1mij

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: Sep 23, 2006 at 08:21 PM »
Yes, HKFLIX appear to be a Hong-Kong based company but surprisingly, they ship to the U.S.

The last time I made some quick computations, I should be able to bring it in for less than PhP17K (without the help of any friends/relatives coming home.  ;D).  If I do things right, might be able to bring it in for even less.

The Denon 1920 does output to HDMI and it uses the famous Genesis/Faroudja chip for DCDi just like the Oppo 971H.  The difference between the two would be the audio support--the 1920 does DVD-A and SACD while the 971H supports DVD-A only.  Do keep in mind that whichever you choose, you might have some macroblocking issues with DLP displays so be careful.

The Oppo 970HD on the other hand doesn't use the Genesis/Faroudja chip but the MediaTek only instead.  However, it does support both DVD-A and SACD.  Essentially, the 971H has better video (highest score in Secrets of Home Theater) but the 970HD has better audio.

Although the temptation to be an early HD adopter is at times overwhelming, I'm doing my best to sit it out until the dust settles.  As it is, Ricoh has come up with a lens that can read both HD-DVD as well as Blu-Ray.  The success of course of this technology would be dependent upon the politics within the manufacturers and the studios.  Also, Warner brothers is already looking at developing a triple-standard disc (DVD, HD-DVD, and BD all in one disc).  That's why I'm looking at a good upscaling player to tide me over the format wars.

Cheers!

« Last Edit: Sep 23, 2006 at 08:31 PM by DU1MIJ »

Offline Moks007

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Bond, James Bond
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: Sep 27, 2006 at 08:40 AM »
ok thanks a lot pls let me know if you get yours already. Actually I can use the cheaper, longer wait..However the only selection in the HKflix is international express fedex I think. that says 2 to 7 days the rest are like for domestic, USA etc..Last question just to confirm (sorry makulit) Is there insurance on this because I think I saw a list Philippines is not included as insured country. Sorry first time to order online if ever here in the Philippines. Thanks

Offline du1mij

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: Sep 28, 2006 at 09:16 AM »
Sent you a PM...

Offline manilabynight

• Apprentice
  • Hi, I'm not so new here!
  • Liked:
Oppo DV-981HD
« Reply #27 on: Jun 25, 2007 at 01:14 PM »
I am using the latest Oppo DV-981HD with my Sharp LC-32PX5M and all I can say is WOW!

Best DVD upconverting player that I have ever encountered. No jaggies, clear, smooth pictures. Great color!

All my DVD discs have been given new life and I am impressed at the way the player handles DiVx/Div files.

Soundwise, it has built in DTS and Dolby decoder, 5.1 channel output, coaxial, digital-out. It can handle SACD discs.

The only drawback is that it doesn't do component. Both HDMI and DVI are supported (DVI via cable adapter).

SUPERB player!
« Last Edit: Jun 25, 2007 at 01:22 PM by manilabynight »