Author Topic: Which is tougher DLP or LCD?  (Read 1663 times)

Offline atomicat10

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • SHOWTIME
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Which is tougher DLP or LCD?
« on: Aug 01, 2006 at 08:04 PM »
Which projector technology can withstand the rigors of travel better?

DLP- I've heard about that the color wheels used on DLP projectors can be prone to damage specially the wheel bearings which ususally starts by producing grinding sounds then bye-bye.

LCD- Since these projectors uses LCD glass panels??? aren't they more susceptible to damage by constant moving/traveling?

As the time for my purchase of a projector draws nearer, I really would like to hear from members who have used their projectors not only at home but also for work.

I guess it's a toss-up between an Epson EMP S4 (LCD) and a BenQ MP610 (DLP).

Offline ericag_ph

• DVD Addict
  • Oompa Loompas rule!!
  • Liked:
Re: Which is tougher DLP or LCD?
« Reply #1 on: Aug 02, 2006 at 10:08 AM »
well, think of it this way, they were all manufactured somewhere else, and had to be shipped to an export destination....and ended up at the store in good condition...and in our houses working...

so both should survive, just use the original box/packing material,
but I would get some extra insurance for piece of mind if possible.

« Last Edit: Aug 02, 2006 at 10:29 AM by ericag_ph »

Offline atomicat10

• Collector
  • SHOWTIME
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: Aug 02, 2006 at 05:34 PM »
well, think of it this way, they were all manufactured somewhere else, and had to be shipped to an export destination....and ended up at the store in good condition...and in our houses working...

so both should survive, just use the original box/packing material,
but I would get some extra insurance for piece of mind if possible.

I hope you won't take offense but I don't think you understood.  You can't compare the one time freight(importation) of these electronic products from their native place of origin to their destination to the everyday rigors of transporting them from work to home and vice-versa.  They were shipped on their original packaging which would be very cumbersome for me to do on a daily basis and I expect to carry it ONLY in the original soft case which came with it then park it inside the car.

Last night, I was able to read a review of the recently released Epson EMP S4 and I guess the thing which makes their entry-level proj. best sellers is the fact that the brand is reliable and offers excellent customer service.  Suffice to say that I am NOW inclined to get this model.  This model's brightness (1800 Ansil Lumens) was under rated by Epson (they have started to have this reputation) and was able to achieve (2200) Ansi Lumens on realtime ratings.  The remote (equipped with a joystick)can function as a PC mouse. The replacement lamp is cheap. It produces better REDs and YELLOWS...

...well here's the link:http://www.projectorreviews.com/Manufacturers/epson/PowerliteS4/index.asp

« Last Edit: Aug 02, 2006 at 09:47 PM by atomicat10 »

Offline ericag_ph

• DVD Addict
  • Oompa Loompas rule!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: Aug 03, 2006 at 10:43 AM »
ah...so you want to carry the projector around on a daily basis.... ;D

well, at my old company, we mostly have LCD projectors 3-4 units for client calls and such....they are all fine, we just let them cool down first....we haven't lost any yet, but can't give you a comparison with the DLP...we don't have a single one....  I think DLP is more for HT use, but LCD has been in use for office stuff...and recently for HT stuff... given the track record for office/travel use, I'd go for LCD.

So that projector (Epson) is 800x600?  You may want to look at LED projectors...most of them are still 800x600, around the same price...and will last 10000-20000 hrs compaired to LCD/DLP.  Some of them are as big as a person's hand or ballpen....price is about $600-$1000

here's a link:  http://www.engadget.com/2005/09/05/epsons-led-lit-pocket-projector/

...and there are other brands as well...

« Last Edit: Aug 03, 2006 at 10:53 AM by ericag_ph »

Offline atomicat10

• Collector
  • SHOWTIME
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: Aug 03, 2006 at 01:32 PM »
Now we're talking. ;D

Thanks, that just really tipped the balance on the LCD side. I'm not that sure about LED projectors, first I believe they have very limited brightness (not good for classroom presentations) plus I haven't heard about them locally. The small size makes it very easy for theft :P

I'm just counting on the Epson brand to provide well built projectors and after sales customer service. I also hope that I can still catch AVLS promo for the EMP S4 ;)

Offline nerveblocker

• Trade Count: (+98)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • DTS-HD Master Audio!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 247
« Reply #5 on: Aug 04, 2006 at 06:10 AM »
Portable multi media projectors (either dlp or lcd) have their own carrying case so the manufacturer made sure that there is always the option of transporting these projectors from one place to another.  IMHO, it just boils down on how you care for the pj just like any other electronic equipment when transporting.  Definitely in normal transport and care I wouldn't think these projectors would just breakdown.  If you wanna know which is tougher when they are dropped, well that's another thing... ;)

Offline atomicat10

• Collector
  • SHOWTIME
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: Aug 04, 2006 at 07:27 AM »
If you wanna know which is tougher when they are dropped, well that's another thing...

Not naman to the extent of dropping it, mga konting alog alog lang  ;D

Offline Mo®pHeOu$

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • GO GREEN: LET'S DO OUR SHARE IN SAVING OUR PLANET
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: Oct 26, 2006 at 08:56 PM »
 ;D ;D ;D

yung sa office namin Epson na LCD.  WE just use the bag that came with the projector.  small lang yung projector namin.  compact ika nga.  dinadala namin sa mga presentation namin.  syempre may konting pagiingat pa rin kapag dala dala.  pero kung alog alog lang, I don't think madaling madamage sya from that kind of thing.

just sharing.  ;)

Offline jackryan

• Trade Count: (+130)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • http://www.reefphilippines.com http://uaaph.com
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #8 on: Feb 03, 2007 at 02:34 PM »
We use the small Infocus projectors in the office so far they are okay...