Author Topic: Audiophile quality made in China  (Read 7628 times)

Offline filbuild

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Apprentice
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Audiophile quality made in China
« on: Aug 03, 2006 at 04:57 PM »
Hello everyone! I'm new here. I'm planning to build my audiophile-quality-music-only system when I saw this web page

http://www.anycities.com/andyhifi/audio.htm

I quote,

"Chinese hi-fi companies are now starting to enter the world market on their own. For years Japanese companies such as Denon sold rebadged OEM products by Shanling and Shengya, and Rotel and Mark Levinson's Red Rose Music sells rebadged OEM products by Korsun. Carrying on his successful story of Korsun, Mr. Zou Yuan Yuan, president and chief designer, founded Dussun. aaa-audio.com and Ming-Da products are targeting the high end, definitely not "cheap" electronics. Affordable Valve Company and PrimaLuna are getting popular in Europe. Gini's Chinese hifi is good. Many speaker brands including Klipsch, Velodyne, Infinity, Tannoy and Athena import speakers from China. A lot of hifi equipment and cables are actually rebadged imported OEM'd electronics from China with huge price markups..."

If what Mr. Andrew--the article's author--is saying is true, then would it be sensible to go China-made, China-brand on my equipment? Please comment.

Offline oweidah

• Trade Count: (+61)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 633
Re: Audiophile quality made in China
« Reply #1 on: Aug 03, 2006 at 06:12 PM »
Hello everyone! I'm new here. I'm planning to build my audiophile-quality-music-only system when I saw this web page

If what Mr. Andrew--the article's author--is saying is true, then would it be sensible to go China-made, China-brand on my equipment? Please comment.

if i were you and i have the resources to acquire chinese "audiophile quality" gears, YES! i'd go for it. thats the reality- "made in china" na pati high-end audio gears :)

used to own nad (amps,tuners,cdp) and currently own wharfedale diamond 9.1, sonic impact t-amps and acoustic research tds202 - all made in china and i'm satfisfied with their performance.  ;D
« Last Edit: Aug 03, 2006 at 06:16 PM by oweidah »

Offline filbuild

• Apprentice
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: Aug 04, 2006 at 06:39 AM »
My apologies for the misunderstanding, but I meant China-brand equipment like Shanling, Shengya, etc., which are supposed to be reasonably priced compared to well-known brands, as emphasized by Mr. Andrew.
« Last Edit: Aug 04, 2006 at 06:45 AM by filbuild »

Offline oweidah

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: Aug 04, 2006 at 06:51 AM »
My apologies for the misunderstanding, but I meant China-brand equipment like Shanling, Shengya, etc., which are supposed to be reasonably priced compared to well-known brands, as emphasized by Mr. Andrew.

Yes, i'd give chinese brand audio gears a try. basta nagustuhan ko ang tunog at pasok sa budget why not? :)
« Last Edit: Aug 04, 2006 at 06:53 AM by oweidah »

Offline ATJr.

• Trade Count: (+45)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Leach Amp fan!
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: Aug 05, 2006 at 05:33 PM »

I quote,

"Chinese hi-fi companies are now starting to enter the world market on their own. For years Japanese companies such as Denon sold rebadged OEM products by Shanling and Shengya, and Rotel and Mark Levinson's Red Rose Music sells rebadged OEM products by Korsun. Carrying on his successful story of Korsun, Mr. Zou Yuan Yuan, president and chief designer, founded Dussun. aaa-audio.com and Ming-Da products are targeting the high end, definitely not "cheap" electronics. Affordable Valve Company and PrimaLuna are getting popular in Europe. Gini's Chinese hifi is good. Many speaker brands including Klipsch, Velodyne, Infinity, Tannoy and Athena import speakers from China. A lot of hifi equipment and cables are actually rebadged imported OEM'd electronics from China with huge price markups..."

you could very well have stumbled into some sort of "audio bible" very nice read indeed! ;D

in the 70's, american brands such as "MARANTZ", "Fisher", Scott, McIntosh, etc have come to japan as "offshore-build facility" becuase at the time japan factories boasted efficiency and good quality, so that american audio firms had their designs implemented there, and many times even using japanese parts, the main reason is of COST, lower cost meant higher profits, what could make better bussiness sense than this.

now, the same thing is happening to china, where labor costs, efficiency and quality are very favourable....as a result, there is an inevitable transfer of technology, how i wished it happened here!

read thru all the things listed and you will never fall prey to all the hypes and nonsense that abound in the audio industry! ;D

That's OK, you can like or dislike anything you choose. That's the wonderful thing about the freedom

Offline MAtZTER

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • More POWER to your HT! literally ...
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: Aug 15, 2006 at 12:01 PM »
My new Bada HD-22 Tube CDP from China:

When we opened it we found very high quality parts, most of which were also used in Rotel CDp's:

Solen caps
PCM 1732 burr brown
Op amp bur brown 2604
Rubicon electrolytic caps
Philips Transport
Dual Tranny
Single tube 6n3.

The sound? EXCEPTIONAL!

More details click here (reply 587)

« Last Edit: Aug 15, 2006 at 12:04 PM by MAtZTER »

Offline ATJr.

• Trade Count: (+45)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Leach Amp fan!
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: Aug 15, 2006 at 07:33 PM »
how much and where to buy? build quality is excellent, although electronics is very simple... ;D
That's OK, you can like or dislike anything you choose. That's the wonderful thing about the freedom

Offline Voltraizer

• Trade Count: (+44)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: Aug 15, 2006 at 08:36 PM »
umabot din daw ng 25k...pinaship lang daw 8)
matz, inclusive na ba dun sa sinabi mong amount yun shipping cost?
from china din ba? or hongkong?
« Last Edit: Aug 15, 2006 at 08:37 PM by Voltes_5 »
technics sl1200ltd gold,,Passlabs X250.5,dynaudio C1, rogue  super99,charisma audio ref1 mc 

Offline MAtZTER

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: Aug 16, 2006 at 10:55 AM »
Shipping inclusive. From China. There were lots of other stuff I ordered like tube headphone amp, line conditioner, etc. included with these so the landed cost is an estimate only.

Offline MAtZTER

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: Aug 16, 2006 at 11:12 AM »
how much and where to buy? build quality is excellent, although electronics is very simple... ;D

For the price (compared to other tube CDPs), I am not really expecting too much complexity.  :) The operational features are quite simple too actually, no random, program , etc features. Its a pretty simple & straightforward CDP

The player uses the great sounding 6N3 tube
that can also be found in the Shanling T-100
of which its design is based
.  The 6N3 tube
is a dual triode and in one working tube can
be found two working tubes: one for each
channel. The tube is used as cathode
follower from the BURR BROWN OPA2134
OPAMPS and since the circuit uses both
sides of the 6N3, only one tube is necessary.
( this is the same configuration that all the
Lite DACs follow).

The remote is also very simple, only numbers, repeat, eject and the usual skip & browse buttons are available. But build quality is also a very nice (all metal). Napa WOW si ricky when he visited me.

« Last Edit: Apr 30, 2007 at 11:59 AM by MAtZTER »

Offline ricky

• Trade Count: (+68)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Duh?
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 544
« Reply #10 on: Aug 16, 2006 at 11:56 AM »
yes napakaganda nun remote,much much better than consonance and arcam's ive encountered before.Pero yung cdp halos same itsura nung mga nasa 35t up na price,you would not think its china made ;) sadly there's no time to listen to it kasi bugbog na utak namin sa demo review ;D

Offline MAtZTER

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: Apr 30, 2007 at 12:05 PM »

The key w/ China products is that, if you really want cheap, they will give you cheap, but quality is sacrificed.

BUT if you pay the premium for a good quality product, you wont be dissapointed. Masyado tayong nasanay sa 168 mall cheap goods kasi so we have a wrong generalized impression on China goods. :)

My almost all China setup:

5n (99.99999) OFC purity speaker wires

My latest:

From BADA, a vacuum tube hybrid
integrated amplifier with 4 inputs, soft
start, record out and ALPS motor volume
control.  All guts are truly high end and
no skimping on great components. The
6922 tubes are shielded with metal
cams that are grounded to the chassis.
Dual transformers feed the tubes and
transistors for an effortless 95 watts /
channel into 8 ohms and 190 / watts into
4 ohms. The circuit layout is
state-of-the-art with  R-type and torodial 
transformers and  Wina, Solen
capacitors. Comes with remote control.

Maximum output power 95W+95W (8
@Ohms) 190W+190W (4 @ ohms)
Frequency response : 20Hz~20kHz
(+1.5dB)
Harmonics distortion : <0.5% (1kHz
10W)
Signal to noise ratio > 85dB
Power Requirements  : ~220V 60Hz
Power Consumption: =350W

Uses 4 6922 Tubes in Preamp Section

« Last Edit: Apr 30, 2007 at 12:30 PM by MAtZTER »

Offline av_phile1

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Cheers from a movie and music lover
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: Apr 30, 2007 at 12:22 PM »

I quote,

China today is going the way of Japan in the 60s.  Korea too was going the same route in the mid 80s. 

These countries are slowly but surely realizing that industrialized capitalists are rebadging their products with high margin prices to target upscale markets they couldn't without brand recognition.  Now they can brag that they are the OEMs of so and so high end brands in US, Japan and Europe.  So now, they've awaken and will soon be with the big boys selling high margin products aimed at the cost-no-object market. And defintely they can command a market for quality products that cost halfway between cheap China generics they've been known for years now and those recognized US, Japnese and European upscale brands. 

« Last Edit: Apr 30, 2007 at 12:29 PM by av_phile1 »

Offline sandawa

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • DVD Addict
  • Remember Hegel's dialectics!
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: Apr 30, 2007 at 03:04 PM »
This is OT. I'm just curious about the brand BADA, but made in China. Would anybody know where they got that word?

The BADA I remember in late '80s was the then newly established British Audio Dealers Association. I visited UK back in '87 and went home with a lot of hifi publications from BADA member companies. I also got BADA's white 12X12 glossy booklet that contains photos of UK's best hifi gear. I understand BADA has changed its name a couple of years back to integrate HT business.

POSTSCRIPT:

I posted too fast, BADA still exists as British Audio-Visual Dealers Association.
« Last Edit: Apr 30, 2007 at 03:08 PM by sandawa »
thesis - antithesis - synthesis

Offline MAtZTER

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: Apr 30, 2007 at 03:13 PM »
Its just a domestic brand sir. The brand has been in China for 20 years.

They are just similarly named but no relation to the British A/V group.
« Last Edit: Apr 30, 2007 at 03:15 PM by MAtZTER »

Offline sandawa

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • DVD Addict
  • Remember Hegel's dialectics!
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: Apr 30, 2007 at 03:17 PM »
Thanks, the British Audio Dealers Association was actually established in 1984 (as per website info). I was just curious, the Chinese firm might have borrowed a western word associated with hifi as brand name to make it more marketable outside.
thesis - antithesis - synthesis

Offline MAtZTER

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: Apr 30, 2007 at 03:38 PM »
Thanks, the British Audio Dealers Association was actually established in 1984 (as per website info). I was just curious, the Chinese firm might have borrowed a western word associated with hifi as brand name to make it more marketable outside.

I think China was closed to the world 20 years ago & no internet then. Plus they only started exporting a few years ago, so I doubt it sir.  :)

I just remembered I had a history teacher named Ms. Bada.
The name might not be that uncommon.  :)

Offline ericag_ph

• DVD Addict
  • Oompa Loompas rule!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2007 at 07:19 PM »
Just visit Shanghai... you would think you were in New York...it will blow your mind away...
definitely no sign of a "comunistic back-water province"...but seemed more like a western capitalist society...
just the number of McDonalds will convince you.  ;D

I think China was closed to the world 20 years ago & no internet then. Plus they only started exporting a few years ago, so I doubt it sir.  :)

I just remembered I had a history teacher named Ms. Bada.
The name might not be that uncommon.  :)

Offline ianmorales

• Collector
  • Virus stricken!!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2007 at 09:36 AM »
My sister-in-law will be in china this weekend, is there any particular place in china where we could find this tube electronic products like this Bada tube cdp.

Thanks for the help! :)

Offline MAtZTER

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2007 at 10:34 AM »
Try asking Gnew, his friend got him a Shanling CDp from china. I havent gone to a single HiFi store in China yet. Most of my time is spent on DVD's  ;D
« Last Edit: May 10, 2007 at 10:11 AM by MAtZTER »

Offline Weng!

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • The Dude Formerly Known As GneW
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 63
« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2007 at 09:13 AM »
Try asking Gnew, his sister got him a Shanling CDp from china. I havent gone to a single HiFi store in China yet. Most of my time is spent on DVD's  ;D

got the shanling cds100 at a super cheap price from my barkada who work in china. it only cost me a little above a pioneer dvd price ;D the cdp is heavy and as well as the remote control. but i find the control a bit flimsy, using a cheap plastic material at the back.

Offline oweidah

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2007 at 10:59 AM »
http://www.china-highend-hifi.com

buti pa china...tsktsktsk  :(

kelan kaya ang pilipinas? sana makakita din ng "mabuhay audio" "alibangbang amp" o "mahinhin du10 preamp" sa international market ;D

Offline qguy

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Usher/Rythmik/S
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 66
« Reply #22 on: May 19, 2007 at 11:30 AM »
mayroon tayong TATAA !!!

We have Tono AMX, TRODT and AA loudspeakers

http://www.china-highend-hifi.com

buti pa china...tsktsktsk  :(

kelan kaya ang pilipinas? sana makakita din ng "mabuhay audio" "alibangbang amp" o "mahinhin du10 preamp" sa international market ;D

Offline oweidah

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: May 19, 2007 at 11:40 AM »
mayroon tayong TATAA !!!

We have Tono AMX, TRODT and AA loudspeakers

ok sana lang mabigyan sila ng bigger exposure sa international market. i dont know kung may oem dito ng mga big audio companies

Offline av_phile1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: May 19, 2007 at 04:46 PM »
We should OEM for famous brands first.  That's how China-made gears are starting to enter the word markets with their own brands, they can claim to be former OEMs for major world class brands.  We just can't put out a MAHARLIKA amp and command a sticker price of $2,000 in the world markets if there's no proven pedigree.  No one will buy.

Offline oweidah

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: May 20, 2007 at 07:26 AM »
wala akong maisip na audio company na napapa-OEM dito sa pilipinas. bakit kaya? meron ba?

Offline MAtZTER

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: May 21, 2007 at 10:45 AM »
Nakakatakot mga abusive labor unions sa atin... ;D

After millions of dollars in investments, it can all go down the drain... Heard so many horror stories already.

Its sad how some unscrupulous individuals willingly abuse our labor laws for their own personal gain... & the repercussions are huge.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2007 at 11:10 AM by MAtZTER »

Offline rascal101

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Naraniag nga aldaw kinyayo amin
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 41
« Reply #27 on: May 21, 2007 at 10:58 AM »
Medyo mahal labor cost sa Pilipinas. So iyung mga iba, ayaw na rito.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2007 at 11:06 AM by rascal101 »

Offline av_phile1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: May 21, 2007 at 02:48 PM »
Mahirap talaga.  We can't even claim that ACER PCs and Notebooks are made in the Phils even though they are in fact made in Subic EPZ by no less than Pinoy hands following stringent Tawinese standards.  Same with Intel and Texas Instrument chips. 

An older simpler technology like tube amps/preamps shouldn't be difficult to make here for some world class brand.  All it takes is an entrepreneur to make a world-class prototype and show one to these brands promising heft profity margins for them by putting their brand on it.  AMX might be in a position to do this.

Offline stipen22

• Collector
  • Loud n' Proud!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: Sep 11, 2007 at 03:04 PM »
Can't wait for my BADA DC-220 stereo power amp to arrive. Yipee!  ;D