Author Topic: Toshiba HD-DVD player, available na ba locally?  (Read 69784 times)

Offline striderhiryu1

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Toshiba HD-DVD player, available na ba locally?
« on: Aug 07, 2006 at 01:51 PM »
I'll be in RP this weekend.  Am Japan based but currently hesitant to buy the Jap version (XA1) because most of my DVDs are region 1 (want to use the player for  SD DVD and HD-DVD).  May unit na ba from US na avaliable sa HT shops in Manila (Listening Room, Listening in Style, Audio-Visual Driver etc).  Thanks. :)

Offline Munskie

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • HighDef Enthusiast
  • Liked:
Re: Toshiba HD-DVD player, available na ba locally?
« Reply #1 on: Aug 07, 2006 at 02:57 PM »
maybe the a/v shops who are members here too can issue posts as soon as they have stocks so interested early adopters will be informed... :)

Offline krazy

• Collector
  • The future is Blu;-)
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: Aug 24, 2006 at 06:57 PM »
Sights&Sounds in Shangri-La mall will have the Toshiba HD-DVD player (not sure of what model it will be) available by late September with an estimated price of PhP35,000 ;D

Offline Munskie

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HighDef Enthusiast
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: Aug 24, 2006 at 07:43 PM »
I guess that would be the cheaper version HD-A1...$499 in the US...if I am not mistaken, the higher model XA1 is priced at $799,

Offline chiemonyo

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: Aug 25, 2006 at 12:53 AM »
meron na naka demo sa Spectra sa ParkSquare na Toshiba HDHVD  :o

Offline Munskie

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HighDef Enthusiast
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: Aug 25, 2006 at 10:44 AM »
wow....how much  sa spectra?  :)

Offline av_phile1

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Cheers from a movie and music lover
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: Aug 25, 2006 at 11:02 AM »
The Toshiba HD player is experiencing high demand worldwide and the supply can't keep up. Europe is importing a lot after the unit got rave reviews from the net, especially in comparison with the underperforming Samsung Blu-Ray player.  Enterprising businessmen here may be able to import the units. but HD is not expected to be formally launched here or any part of Asia until next year.  Europe has yet to get its HD debut.  For P35T, that's a lot, but I'd sooner get one if I can afford it rather than those overpriced upsampling SD DVD players from high end brands.  If you already own an HDTV with HDMI connection, I really recommend the Tosh.  The AV forums I've visited are going gaga over this.  To most HT enthusiasts, it's the best thing that ever happened to their HT viewing experience since getting their first DVD players.   The titles are increasing, over 200 at this time, with most blockbusters ranging from $19 to $24 over at amazon.  But with discs already encoded at 1080p, compared to a mere 480i in SD DVDs, the prices are not that much compared to regular priced DVDs at amazon.  And with the right HDMI-equipped HDTV, the viewing rewards are just awesome, according to those to have seen HD-DVD in comparison with the best upsampling DVD players they have.   ;D
« Last Edit: Aug 25, 2006 at 11:14 AM by av_phile1 »

Offline Munskie

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HighDef Enthusiast
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: Aug 25, 2006 at 11:08 AM »
after two or three firmware updates, some issues that have bugged the TOSH player player have been resolved.  The only knack now is its painfully slow operation.  But well compensated by the grand HD viewing experience.   :)

Offline av_phile1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: Aug 25, 2006 at 11:32 AM »
According to a tosh review on the net, it takes 39secs from power-on for the drawer to open and another 60secs for you to get a screen display after putting the disc into the drawer and the player recognizing it.  That's a really long 1min and 38secs before you see anything on screen.  Compared to our beloved DVD players that have near-instant response, this can seem to take forever.  But as you said, the gorgeous HD display more that makes up for the wait.   ;D

Offline Munskie

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HighDef Enthusiast
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: Aug 25, 2006 at 11:53 AM »
Maybe make it a habit to slip the disc before preparing some snacks and drinks( or take a leak)....then get the food, when you return to the HT room, probably the Menu is on display na... ;D ;D

Offline av_phile1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: Aug 25, 2006 at 12:15 PM »
Exactly.  There are ways to adopt to a slow starter.  ;D  The Samsung BD player is just a few seconds faster than this, but still slow.   I am sure new generation players will address this.  Just FYI, accdg to some net articles, the Tosh HD player is actually a PC using Intel pentium 4 chips.  Maybe that accounts for the slow boot-up   ;D

Offline Munskie

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HighDef Enthusiast
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: Aug 25, 2006 at 02:49 PM »
meron na rin daw parating sa sound dimension

Offline av_phile1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: Aug 25, 2006 at 04:14 PM »
Mahal diyan sa sound dimension when new.  If the Tosh HD costs around 35T, that would compete with their simlarly priced Rotel DVD players which no matter how exellent their deinterlacing is, would now be garbage compared to HD.  ;D

Offline krazy

• Collector
  • The future is Blu;-)
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: Aug 27, 2006 at 05:55 PM »
Maybe make it a habit to slip the disc before preparing some snacks and drinks( or take a leak)....then get the food, when you return to the HT room, probably the Menu is on display na... ;D ;D

Actually, there's no more "menu screen" when you press play on HD DVD/BD movies, it go straight to the start of the movie.  The menu now just appears when you press the "menu" button on the remote and appears as a live (realtime) translucent overlay while the movie's playing in the background.  My guess on the long startup times is the player has to buffer a large amount of data during that loading time before the movie actually plays

Offline taggart

• Collector
  • clean out that earwax for optimum sound exp!
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: Aug 28, 2006 at 12:14 PM »
saw a demo of the Tosh HDDVD at spectra a few days back...jawdropping good! :D  it takes a while to load the movie alright.  here's the nice part...you can adjust video/audio parameters on the fly while the movie's playing.  iba talaga HD.  :)

they also sell HDDVDs.

Offline alvinthx2

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • DVD Addict
  • System= source+amplification+speaker+ROOM
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: Aug 29, 2006 at 08:16 AM »
I have downloaded the 2.0 firmware and Dolby truehd 5.1 is now enabled (previously the hd a1 can only output a 2 channel truehd). this can only be realized with a HDMI connection with a multi channel pcm output from the A1. there are only 4 disc encoded with this Lossless bit for bit algorithm. Training day is one, POTO,Perfect storm and Constantine. All the rest are encoded in DD+ only. I have preordered the mission impossible series in Hd dvd format. It is said all 3 will be encoded using truehd ;D
STORMAUDIORevel,BAT,VPI,Accuphase,Bryston,Lumagen,Esoteric,PMC,AR,ROON,PURIFI,BENCHMARK,JBL

Offline turismo1997

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 256
« Reply #16 on: Aug 29, 2006 at 08:39 AM »
hmmm kailangan magipon. ok good bye pioneer 696.

Offline av_phile1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: Aug 29, 2006 at 02:21 PM »
I have downloaded the 2.0 firmware and Dolby truehd 5.1 is now enabled (previously the hd a1 can only output a 2 channel truehd). this can only be realized with a HDMI connection with a multi channel pcm output from the A1. there are only 4 disc encoded with this Lossless bit for bit algorithm. Training day is one, POTO,Perfect storm and Constantine. All the rest are encoded in DD+ only. I have preordered the mission impossible series in Hd dvd format. It is said all 3 will be encoded using truehd ;D

I am all greeeeen with envvvvyyy!!!!! ;D

Offline Munskie

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HighDef Enthusiast
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: Aug 29, 2006 at 03:17 PM »
id really want to take some time to preview hd dvd images running on panny ae900....christmas is lurking na... ;D ;D

here's a primer on DOLBY TRUE HD.... you will click here.....mukhang na uppercut na naman ang Blu Ray sa round two.... 8)
« Last Edit: Aug 29, 2006 at 03:33 PM by Munskie »

Offline av_phile1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: Aug 29, 2006 at 03:59 PM »
DolbyTrueHD uses a Meridian Lossless Packing (MLP) compression, same as DVD-Audio.  That's like watching movies with DVD-A sound quality.

Offline nels76

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • DVD Addict
  • extraordinarily intense AUDIO
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #20 on: Aug 30, 2006 at 10:31 PM »
id really want to take some time to preview hd dvd images running on panny ae900....christmas is lurking na... ;D ;D

here's a primer on DOLBY TRUE HD.... you will click here.....mukhang na uppercut na naman ang Blu Ray sa round two.... 8)

why did yo say so?

I've read the next gen format (HD DVD and Blu Ray) will carry  the next gen surround format (DT HD and DTS HD).
The Mysterious Gamma Ray Burst

Offline nels76

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: Aug 30, 2006 at 10:34 PM »
Tanong lang po.

Do these Next Gen Players (HD DVD and Blu Ray Players) have Multi-Channel Analog Out by default so that you can enjoy DT HD / DTS HD Surround even if your receivers have ni HDMI Input (Decoding to be done by the palyers).

If the Player has the decoder, do they also have bass management feature?

Thanks po.

Offline bayonic

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: Aug 30, 2006 at 11:17 PM »
tanong din po ...
how would these local stores handle any service issues during the warranty period ?

Offline Munskie

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HighDef Enthusiast
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: Aug 30, 2006 at 11:54 PM »
why did yo say so?

I've read the next gen format (HD DVD and Blu Ray) will carry  the next gen surround format (DT HD and DTS HD).

bro...to give you an idea why im talking about round 2 already....from the WAR BEGINS thread...

an article from HD Digest:  BLU-RAY VS. HD DVD: ROUND ONE (click)

heto pa sir..  Blu-ray versus HD DVD: First Head-to-Head Comparisons

beside those reviews and being the first to offer Dolby True HD makes the HD DVD early front runner...but of course, , the Blu-Ray camp still has an ace on its sleeve when it comes to reaching millions of homes...thats the PS3......

« Last Edit: Aug 31, 2006 at 12:13 AM by Munskie »

Offline av_phile1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: Aug 31, 2006 at 12:02 PM »
Tanong lang po.

Do these Next Gen Players (HD DVD and Blu Ray Players) have Multi-Channel Analog Out by default so that you can enjoy DT HD / DTS HD Surround even if your receivers have ni HDMI Input (Decoding to be done by the palyers).

If the Player has the decoder, do they also have bass management feature?

Thanks po.

Yes, the HD-DVD and Blu ray audio tracks are decoded and bass-managed right in the player and goes out either as 5.1 analog, LPCM via HDMI or DTS (standard) via toslink.  The players do their own transcoding.  The Tosh A1 HD-DVD player is said to be a specialized PC using Intel CPU chips.   Right now, the DolbyTrueHD and Dolby plus audio tracks are decoded in the player.  Content makers have yet to give their go-signal if they want the decoding to be done outside.  This is more an audio protection issue than anything.   There are still no receiver or preamp or outboard decoder boxes that can process DolbyTrueHD or DTS-HD.  No impetus to come out with one precisely for the reasons cited.  Even the Tosh A1 cannot ouput in these formats because it still has no HDMI ver 1.3 terminal, just 1.1.   ONLY HDMI 1.3 can carry the immense data streams of a DolbyTrueHD or DTS-HD. 

Offline av_phile1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: Aug 31, 2006 at 12:08 PM »

The HD players have them for audio tracks.  But the implementation with the launch players was not up to the par.  The Tosh HD-DVD players decoded the tracks and output as 5.1 analog and transcoded to stereo LPCM via HDMI 1.1 and maxed-out DTS via toslink.  The recent upgrade firmware  allowed the Tosh to output 5.1 LPCM via HDMI and is thus the closest thing you can have to hearing the new formats.  Content makers still don't want the players to output the DolbyTrueHD and DTS-HD tracks.  Transcoding them to 5.1 LPCM via current HDMI 1.1 connection is said to be just as good.

Offline Munskie

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HighDef Enthusiast
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: Aug 31, 2006 at 12:27 PM »
im gonna audition this afternoon a member's Tosh Hd DVD set-up connected to a panny ae900....and see and hear what the HD DVD camp says the LOOK and SOUND of PERFECT... :) :)

Offline nels76

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: Aug 31, 2006 at 06:54 PM »
Thanks AVPhile.

So no need to upgrade my receiver na pala.

No plan of upgrading it just to have those receiver with HDMI even if they arrive.

Buti na lang meron multi-channel input ang receiver ko.

Offline av_phile1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: Aug 31, 2006 at 10:02 PM »
Current flagship receivers with HDMI still won't hack it.  that's because their HDMI is just 1.1, and you need version 1.3 to carry Doby trueHD and DTS-HD.  Wait next year to see the first batch of receivers sportng  HDMI 1.3.  And they'll most likely still be flagships. 

Offline Munskie

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HighDef Enthusiast
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: Aug 31, 2006 at 11:58 PM »
saw na the demo for Tosh HD-A1 HD DVD.   courtesy of alvinthx2, with the display PJ panny ae900 at 106in screen, and anthem avm50 as pre/pro.   HT experience=  WOW!!!!  :o :o :o   Night and day really vs SD DVD.  the experience i had was really awesome.  Images are flawless.  Yung face na lang ng mga actors ang me flaw coz makikita mo blemishes nila. Colors popped out.  Better black level.  No artifacts.  contrast is great.

Though parating palang yung mga disc nya with Dolby TrueHD, the soundtrack  (DD+, DTS)  ive heard with the Cronicles of Riddick title was exceptionally good too.   Im glad Ber months na.  ;D ;D
« Last Edit: Sep 01, 2006 at 12:46 PM by Munskie »