Author Topic: Toshiba HD-DVD player, available na ba locally?  (Read 69597 times)

Offline Moks007

• Trade Count: (+51)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Bond, James Bond
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2399
Re: Toshiba HD-DVD player, available na ba locally?
« Reply #510 on: Feb 14, 2008 at 06:32 PM »
Actually, i don't like much of the hd dvd exclusives so far. My only concern is that Transformers isn't coming to blu ray which is one of the movies i can't not have in hd format. i have my ps3 that can upscale my r3 movies though

First Im not telling or forcing you to buy a hddvd player. But it looks like your mind is already made up beforehand (Not judging you of course). ( No offense intended) But paramount and universal have so many great movies. To just like or must own lang transformers is  ??? to me...They have the bourne series, mission impossible series, Face off, untouchables, trading places, Shooter, Italian job, The mummy, Fast and the furious, top gun, notting hill, Heroes, Star trek, comedies from will ferrell and the actor in knocked up. Jack ryan series (supposedly to be releasing in march) and many more. Of course people have diff taste in movies but to me the ones I listed are awesome to me. I think most are avoiding hddvd bec its near death, but its not the movies they offer. Just my opinion.
« Last Edit: Feb 14, 2008 at 06:35 PM by Moks007 »

Offline Mouldingo

• Trade Count: (0)
  • DVD Guru
  • Life's too short, don't waste it!!!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #511 on: Feb 14, 2008 at 06:40 PM »
HD DVD: Time to quit?

Opinion - The HD DVD camp suffered two major blows today and no matter you look at it, begins to look like the certain loser of the high-def format war. HD DVD better has a secret weapon that it can aim at Blu-ray now. Otherwise Toshiba can only hope for a miracle or actually admit defeat. But it is not only Toshiba that loses: A victory of Blu-ray may actually be much more painful for Microsoft.

If you own a HD DVD player and hoped that the format will win in the end, I can feel your pain. I am among those people who purchased such a player, although for different reasons than your typical HD customer: My player was actually cheaper than an upscaling DVD player, I got seven free HD DVD movies and I knew that even if the format doesn’t win in the end, I still can use it as a DVD player. I am still happy with that decision, but if I have to say that the 35-second startup time of the player and the loud fan noise (there’s a Pentium 4 processor inside) is annoying. 

If you have spent $400 or more on a HD DVD player, you may be upset about the HD news recently hitting the web. But then, you’ll also have to admit that you should have waited with the purchase and if you are upset that those $400 and perhaps several hundred dollars more (because you obviously purchased HD DVD movies) are thrown out the window, you have to realize that couldn’t afford this HD DVD player in the first place. Part of being an early adopter means that you can swallow such a loss and you shouldn’t complain about it.

No one right in his mind (and a budget) would have bought an HD DVD player within the past few weeks after the Blu-ray camp began scoring one success after another. Interestingly, if you look at it, the pendulum started moving towards Blu-ray only two months ago. Right before CES 2008, Warner Home Video announced that it would begin backing Blu-ray exclusively (even if HD DVD support was a bit extended afterwards). This announcement sent a shockwave through the industry and was widely seen as a sign that the movie industry would begin focusing on Blu-ray. Following the announcement, Blu-ray player sales skyrocketed, HD DVD player sales plummeted and we heard more movie studios and retailers saying they would move towards Blu-ray. In late January, Gartner said that it expects Blu-ray to be winning the format war.

It is interesting to note that we are under embargo on some of these announcements, as they are planned to be made at the end of Q1 or in Q2. Given the situation, we can say that a handful of smaller movie studios told us that they would be supporting Blu-ray exclusively, but decided to hold back such an announcement as they were sitting on a pile of HD DVDs they still wanted to get rid of. Plus, remember there’s quite some marketing money floating around which no one wants to lose. As reported earlier, industry sources told us that Chicago retailer Grant’s Appliances had no intentions of supporting HD DVD anymore and another source told us that Blockbuster is also focusing on Blu-ray (some stores are still stocking HD DVDs at this time).

Today may actually have been the most critical day in the high-def battle yet. Netflix dropped HD DVD and Best Buy now sides with Blu-ray as well. It’s clear that there is still support for HD DVD out there, but the walls are crumbling and the HD DVD camp should reveal their last ace soon, if they have one.

If you look at the past 20 months, the HD DVD camp always has fought this battle highlighting the lower price of HD DVD players. Not really a bad idea considering the fact that Toshiba was out with players months before the first (Samsung) Blu-ray player became available, which was offered for the ridiculous price of $999 initially. However, we have to recognize that even this lower price point was much too high even for the enthusiasts among consumers. So it probably did not really matter whether such a player was priced at $600 or $1000. Turns out that Sony in fact may have won the war with what many of us considered a failure – the Playstation 3.

Part 2 Why video gamers are critical for HD success

http://www.tgdaily.com/content/view/36017/128/

« Last Edit: Feb 14, 2008 at 06:50 PM by Mouldingo »

Offline Clondalkin

• Trade Count: (+46)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Tea the gift of life...
  • Liked:
« Reply #512 on: Feb 14, 2008 at 06:47 PM »
Where can i download it. Actually its not the money that is the issue. Actually, its super cheap. But its like spending money on something that you will hardly use after a few weeks of owning at and will die out soon? It's like buying goldfish.

Bro, I have more than 150 titles downloaded and about 30 originals and I don't have any idea how to watch them all and when I'll finish watching them all.  I'm positive many members with 300 plus titles in their collection spend more time staring at their shelves than watching.  Ok money is no object for you so I suppose you can afford to buy 150-400 original disks instead.   So do you think you can watch that much title in a few weeks or within the short lifespan of a goldfish?   What is your average rate of viewing BD films at the moment?

I would have to agree with Moks-san.  You sound as if you have already made up your mind so what's the point of considering...and if it's really 1 title you want among the 400 available title, it's definitely not worth it.   Just hope that Transformers gets released in BD within a year.

Offline tambutsoo

• Collector
  • YO Wazzup :)
  • Liked:
« Reply #513 on: Feb 15, 2008 at 11:33 AM »
hindi na yata mawawala ang HD DVD Player sa halaga lang ng 6 K pesos ewan ko na lang but i sure mawawala pa sa market ang blu ray player kung hindi nila ibaba ang price

Offline nukee

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #514 on: Feb 15, 2008 at 03:32 PM »
Actually, i didn't say that money is no object to. That is false. Because even if your a billionaire. Money is still an object to you. Otherwise, you won't get rich if you keep on spending money on things you think you need but actually don't.

To be honest, i'm not a home theater or dvd movie buff. Probably my average bd watching is around 3 to 4 times a year. Initially, when i saw the prices of the hd dvd players i was so into buying it already that i contacted my relative from the states. But a few minutes after reading here. I've learned that hd dvd is dying. Then lies the problem of buying something that is dying and which i can only use as a hd dvd player as i really don't have r1 dvd's unless this can read pirated discs which i doubt. So to me, everything changed that is why i'am having second thoughts which i asked for your guys opinion.

I'am not arguing with what you are saying, i'm just gathering facts and listen and making my own decision about whether to get a player or not. If it can be used as a playe for me, then my 6t plus is worth it. But i can't use it. That is why maybe i'm still convincing myself.

Offline Clondalkin

• Trade Count: (+46)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Tea the gift of life...
  • Liked:
« Reply #515 on: Feb 15, 2008 at 04:16 PM »
Based on the info that you just gave, only a hardcore fanatic senseless inconsiderate HD DVD fanboi would advise you to purchase an HD DVD player. 

And if you only watch BD for 3 to 4 times a year, then you should have no problem waiting for Transformers' release in BD.  I might even give you a dl'd copy for free in June pagbakasyon ko.

Offline nukee

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #516 on: Feb 18, 2008 at 07:05 PM »
cge please give me a free copy na lang. hehehehehe. Nway, i don't mind waiting pero before kasi they said the Transformers isn't coming to bluray that is why i considered buying an hd dvd player. Thanks for the offer of the download.

Offline Ctlim

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #517 on: Feb 18, 2008 at 08:35 PM »
so you have already purchased it? if you have, then you might as well buy all the hd dvd titles you want now. para sulit naman ang 6k mo.

if you havent paid yet or your relative hasnt yet, the cancel it... may ps3 ka naman for BD viewing right?

Offline nukee

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #518 on: Feb 19, 2008 at 03:31 PM »
I didn't buy it. I do have the ps3 for blu-ray viewing. I'm just hoping that if ever hd dvd dies. they will release transformers in bd.

Offline Ctlim

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #519 on: Feb 19, 2008 at 06:40 PM »
thats a sure thing. no need to worry... just a question of how long.

Offline Mouldingo

• DVD Guru
  • Life's too short, don't waste it!!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #520 on: Feb 19, 2008 at 06:46 PM »
Siguro more sooner than later, since rumoured na they were already stocked sa warehouse until Toshiba bribed Paramount to jump on the wrong side of the fence...