Author Topic: new ext. dvd writer..whatz next?  (Read 5969 times)

Offline strangebrew

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Apprentice
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
new ext. dvd writer..whatz next?
« on: Aug 14, 2006 at 06:30 PM »
sensya na...what will i do now? im basically new to dvd writing and havent had the slightest idea about it..ive a new lite on shw 1635sx..anong compatible na dvd-rw sa writer ko? mostly kasi ang ilalagay ko ang mga word files, ilang mp3's at ilang flv files (grabbed youtube vids). what are the basic things that i need to know when writing to dvd-rw discs? please enlighten me  ???

Offline SPaCeMaN SPiFF

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
Re: new ext. dvd writer..whatz next?
« Reply #1 on: Aug 14, 2006 at 09:17 PM »
nothing... if you have burned CDs before, you will do the exact same thing... 'cept this time you can now cram about 7 times more stuff per disc.  ;D

as for compatible media... you can burn on anything BUT DVD-RAM...  ;D

since this an external drive.. i suggest you experiment on different burning speeds until you find one is error-free and produces the best compatibility in wherever you will be using the dvds you burn (like set top players and such.) start with the slowest, then work your way up. if you have access to -RW media... best to use those for this "trail and error" test.  ;)
« Last Edit: Aug 15, 2006 at 12:12 AM by SPaCeMaN SPiFF »

Offline strangebrew

• Apprentice
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: Aug 14, 2006 at 10:02 PM »
ok..how would i do that? like i start buying generic dvd's and see which works and which doesnt? what are those region stuff and softwares/codecs blah blah?i couldnt relate to what you guys are talking about i.e. dvd-r and dvd+r  threads.. it's like seeing japanese characters for the first time  ;D anyway, thanks for your response. i appreciate it  ;)

Offline strangebrew

• Apprentice
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: Aug 14, 2006 at 10:37 PM »
btw, could you guys recommend a reliable dvd-rw (regardless of price..and with at least long shelf life)..i need it as a sort of back up for my word docus/files

Offline SPaCeMaN SPiFF

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: Aug 14, 2006 at 10:59 PM »
ok..how would i do that? like i start buying generic dvd's and see which works and which doesnt? what are those region stuff and softwares/codecs blah blah?i couldnt relate to what you guys are talking about i.e. dvd-r and dvd+r  threads.. it's like seeing japanese characters for the first time  ;D anyway, thanks for your response. i appreciate it  ;)

exactly ... that's why i called it "trial & error". LOL ... don't worry, that's how we all learned what media is right for our writers. and with the prices going as low as six or ten pesos per disc. there's no need to feel any regret if you churn out a "coaster".

we already have two excellent threads about it (so you might pick up a brand or two from there that's right for your writer there):

DVD-R Media Quality and Compatibility
DVD+R Media Quality and Compatibility

if you have any more concerns, it helps to use the "search" function too... someone might have already posted a sufficient answer to your query. at this point... google and the search function here will be very useful to you.  :P

dvd-rw's are pretty rare these days... but you can ask your local CD shop if they have any. CD-R king used to sell them at 25pesos a piece... SKC brand (korean). regular dvd-r's and dvd+r's, on the other hand, are plentiful... and cheap.  ;D

the "region stuff and softwares/codecs" are mostly for playback and file conversion (e.g. ripping a dvd or converting files into avi's)... but as far as "burning" is concerned, you are pretty much complete if you have burning software like nero or roxio.   :)

just remember to take it one step at a time... address a need you have then check the threads here about it. if you can't find it, post the question, i'm sure everyone will be more than willing to help you out ...  ;D

but if your concern right now is purely backing up files... then you're pretty much good to go. you just need go out and buy some dvd recordable media.  ;)

good luck.   ;D
« Last Edit: Aug 15, 2006 at 12:14 AM by SPaCeMaN SPiFF »

Offline strangebrew

• Apprentice
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: Aug 14, 2006 at 11:39 PM »
ok. thank you.

Offline snapy

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: Aug 15, 2006 at 08:53 AM »
exactly ... that's why i called it "trial & error". LOL ... don't worry, that's how we all learned what media is right for our writers. and with the prices going as low as six or ten pesos per disc. there's no need to feel any regret if you churn out a "coaster".

we already have two excellent threads about it (so you might pick up a brand or two from there that's right for your writer there):

DVD-R Media Quality and Compatibility
DVD+R Media Quality and Compatibility

if you have any more concerns, it helps to use the "search" function too... someone might have already posted a sufficient answer to your query. at this point... google and the search function here will be very useful to you.  :P

dvd-rw's are pretty rare these days... but you can ask your local CD shop if they have any. CD-R king used to sell them at 25pesos a piece... SKC brand (korean). regular dvd-r's and dvd+r's, on the other hand, are plentiful... and cheap.  ;D

the "region stuff and softwares/codecs" are mostly for playback and file conversion (e.g. ripping a dvd or converting files into avi's)... but as far as "burning" is concerned, you are pretty much complete if you have burning software like nero or roxio.   :)

just remember to take it one step at a time... address a need you have then check the threads here about it. if you can't find it, post the question, i'm sure everyone will be more than willing to help you out ...  ;D

but if your concern right now is purely backing up files... then you're pretty much good to go. you just need go out and buy some dvd recordable media.  ;)

good luck.   ;D

indi na updated ung thread natin dyan e. no one would now post new dvds.. those dvds are obsolete..

Offline SPaCeMaN SPiFF

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: Aug 15, 2006 at 02:42 PM »

indi na updated ung thread natin dyan e. no one would now post new dvds.. those dvds are obsolete..

not true... a few of the brands there are still around and it's a good place to start when you are a noob ... seriously tho, nothing beats buying a couple and trying them out yourself. ;)
« Last Edit: Aug 15, 2006 at 02:44 PM by SPaCeMaN SPiFF »

Offline strangebrew

• Apprentice
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: Aug 15, 2006 at 11:59 PM »
not true... a few of the brands there are still around and it's a good place to start when you are a noob ... seriously tho, nothing beats buying a couple and trying them out yourself. ;)

..will do that this weekend. does cd-r king have this brands: taiyo yuden & verbatim (+R, -R, -RW)? how much does each cost? also, what's a firmware?

Offline SPaCeMaN SPiFF

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: Aug 16, 2006 at 02:40 AM »
..will do that this weekend. does cd-r king have this brands: taiyo yuden & verbatim (+R, -R, -RW)? how much does each cost? also, what's a firmware?

not totally sure about taiyo yuden, but CD King did carry verbatim... best to go there yourself as stock and availability seem to differ now from branch to branch. normally, the more well known the brand, the more expensive it is. the recordable speed also determines price (e.g. 16x recordable discs are more expensive than 8x ones.) but i have yet to see any brand more expensive than 25-30pesos.

firmware is the program found inside the chips in your drive. it pretty much controls all its functions. sometimes when a drive behaves abnormally or new types of media is made available, the manufacturer will revise it's firmware to allow the drive to function better. it is "written" onto the micropchip by means of "flashing". if "flashed" improperly, a drive can rendered useless. that is why most manufacturers discourage "flashing" any drive unless you are experiencing the symptoms the new firmware is supposed to fix.
« Last Edit: Aug 16, 2006 at 02:41 AM by SPaCeMaN SPiFF »

Offline strangebrew

• Apprentice
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: Aug 16, 2006 at 11:26 PM »
not totally sure about taiyo yuden, but CD King did carry verbatim... best to go there yourself as stock and availability seem to differ now from branch to branch. normally, the more well known the brand, the more expensive it is. the recordable speed also determines price (e.g. 16x recordable discs are more expensive than 8x ones.) but i have yet to see any brand more expensive than 25-30pesos.

firmware is the program found inside the chips in your drive. it pretty much controls all its functions. sometimes when a drive behaves abnormally or new types of media is made available, the manufacturer will revise it's firmware to allow the drive to function better. it is "written" onto the micropchip by means of "flashing". if "flashed" improperly, a drive can rendered useless. that is why most manufacturers discourage "flashing" any drive unless you are experiencing the symptoms the new firmware is supposed to fix.

ok..medyo nage-gets ko na yung firmware..cd-r king has verbatim..i really dont mind buying more expensive dvd's..i dont wanna see myself whining over a corrupted [generic] dvd cos i lost all my important files...about the three brands that i mentioned, are they really reliable (with at least 6 months of shelf life)? does lite on have any compatibility issues? i wonder if taiyo yuden is available here in the phils..ive read in some forums that it's very reliable..

Offline snapy

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: Aug 17, 2006 at 10:12 PM »
ok..medyo nage-gets ko na yung firmware..cd-r king has verbatim..i really dont mind buying more expensive dvd's..i dont wanna see myself whining over a corrupted [generic] dvd cos i lost all my important files...about the three brands that i mentioned, are they really reliable (with at least 6 months of shelf life)? does lite on have any compatibility issues? i wonder if taiyo yuden is available here in the phils..ive read in some forums that it's very reliable..

ok.. well kung bibili ka sa suki nating cdrking na shop.. well obviously iba iba quality nyan..
ngayon oo maganda.. nxt month sablay na.. even ung top seller iomega
ganon din yan.. so beware of those things.. as of me.. im still looking
for a shop dat is the most honest on selling products.. straight from
d true distributor.. not like d crap shops

try to buy from original computer shops.. un para sure ka..

Offline strangebrew

• Apprentice
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: Aug 17, 2006 at 10:38 PM »
ok.. well kung bibili ka sa suki nating cdrking na shop.. well obviously iba iba quality nyan..
ngayon oo maganda.. nxt month sablay na.. even ung top seller iomega
ganon din yan.. so beware of those things.. as of me.. im still looking
for a shop dat is the most honest on selling products.. straight from
d true distributor.. not like d crap shops

try to buy from original computer shops.. un para sure ka..

do pm me if ever you find one..i'm also looking for 'honest shops'. the reason why i bought tons of different blank dvd's in cd-r king is solely for testing purposes. i intend to use those cd's that i bought in cd-r king as a mere copy (something i'd use most of the time). now i might sound stupid for asking this..i've already downloaded dvdinfopro...now how do i scan my cd? i used my combo drive in doing so..was that wrong?

btw, does anybody know where i can buy 'made in japan' and 'made in usa' blank dvd's 'round here in the phils?

Offline SPaCeMaN SPiFF

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: Aug 18, 2006 at 12:15 AM »
do pm me if ever you find one..i'm also looking for 'honest shops'. the reason why i bought tons of different blank dvd's in cd-r king is solely for testing purposes. i intend to use those cd's that i bought in cd-r king as a mere copy (something i'd use most of the time). now i might sound stupid for asking this..i've already downloaded dvdinfopro...now how do i scan my cd? i used my combo drive in doing so..was that wrong?

btw, does anybody know where i can buy 'made in japan' and 'made in usa' blank dvd's 'round here in the phils?

try mo sa tipidpc ... there's a few people there who sell imports. that's where i got my japanese mitsubishi lightscribe dvd+r's ... or as snapy said... go to a reputable store like villman. they're a lot more expensive than the usual CD-R king type of store pero sure ka naman (and you already said na hindi naman pala issue yung price.)

Offline strangebrew

• Apprentice
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: Aug 18, 2006 at 12:24 AM »
try mo sa tipidpc ... there's a few people there who sell imports. that's where i got my japanese mitsubishi lightscribe dvd+r's ... or as snapy said... go to a reputable store like villman. they're a lot more expensive than the usual CD-R king type of store pero sure ka naman (and you already said na hindi naman pala issue yung price.)

great. where can i find tipidpc? i've been to villman already..di ko dapat nakalimtan magtanong ng blank dvd's sa kanila. silly me..di bale, ahl go back to villman this sunday to pick up my dvd writer  ;D sang villman kadalasan maraming stocks? may iba pa bang stores? thank you for your response..another question, what is a codec? and how do i determine the bitrate of a file when im converting flv's to vob dvd compliant?

Offline SPaCeMaN SPiFF

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: Aug 18, 2006 at 01:55 AM »
great. where can i find tipidpc? i've been to villman already..di ko dapat nakalimtan magtanong ng blank dvd's sa kanila. silly me..di bale, ahl go back to villman this sunday to pick up my dvd writer  ;D sang villman kadalasan maraming stocks? may iba pa bang stores? thank you for your response..another question, what is a codec? and how do i determine the bitrate of a file when im converting flv's to vob dvd compliant?

wala pa pala sa iyo??!! ... i figured you would've burned a couple by now. LOL.

i think the two villman stores with the most stocks are either west avenue or megamall... my guess is on the latter.

tipidpc is a website and message board/trade/swap/selling place ... just point that broswer to www.tipidpc.com... and you're already there. good luck!  ;D

not sure about flv files... never had to convert any kasi.  :P

but to answer your "codec" question:

CODEC = COmpressor-DECompressor ... these are the programs or devices that compresses files, normally, video and audio... examples are MP3, MPEG, AC3, DIVX, XVID, etc. etc.  ;D

Offline snapy

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: Aug 18, 2006 at 01:21 PM »

minsan useless din mag try ng mga dvds e.. since.. minsan pinapatungan lang nila ng label nito..
kaya mapapansin nyo iba na MID code nito..
some are origs some are not.. reshuffled kasi mga to e..

Offline SPaCeMaN SPiFF

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: Aug 18, 2006 at 05:27 PM »
minsan useless din mag try ng mga dvds e.. since.. minsan pinapatungan lang nila ng label nito..
kaya mapapansin nyo iba na MID code nito..
some are origs some are not.. reshuffled kasi mga to e..

heh heh... don't be such a pessimist snapy... how will you know it's good if you don't try??

it's true... some brands shift manufacturers every now and then (that's the nature of technology... changes are imminent)... and true that some are rebadged... but how will you know which is good and which is not if you don't actually buy, burn and test?
« Last Edit: Aug 18, 2006 at 05:58 PM by SPaCeMaN SPiFF »

Offline strangebrew

• Apprentice
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: Aug 19, 2006 at 12:43 AM »
heh heh... don't be such a pessimist snapy... how will you know it's good if you don't try??

it's true... some brands shift manufacturers every now and then (that's the nature of technology... changes are imminent)... and true that some are rebadged... but how will you know which is good and which is not if you don't actually buy, burn and test?

that's the first thing that i'd do when i get my hands on my dvd writer (kinda figured already how to test a dvd). i already bought tons of branded blank + and - dvd r in cd-r king (will use the chosen dvd's as a mere back up of a main copy --dvd made in japan sana..tyatyagain ko talaga sa paghahanap) ..will test them on monday. unfortunately, all the cd's that i've bought are made in taiwan..*sighs* still looking for dvds made in japan and us..

Offline SPaCeMaN SPiFF

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: Aug 19, 2006 at 02:52 AM »
still looking for dvds made in japan and us..

while you might find a few made in japan... are there any still made in the US?? even established brands prefer to outsource their discs than make them locally in the united states. i have been burning CDs since 1998 and i don't think i have come across any media yet that's "made in the u.s.a."... if there are any, i'd love to know which ones there are. (para masubukan syempre...  ;))

Offline strangebrew

• Apprentice
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #20 on: Aug 19, 2006 at 07:57 PM »
while you might find a few made in japan... are there any still made in the US?? even established brands prefer to outsource their discs than make them locally in the united states. i have been burning CDs since 1998 and i don't think i have come across any media yet that's "made in the u.s.a."... if there are any, i'd love to know which ones there are. (para masubukan syempre...  ;))

*sighs* that's what i noticed too.

Offline strangebrew

• Apprentice
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: Aug 20, 2006 at 03:10 PM »
spaceman,

what brand of cd-r and dvd-r do you use?

i burn-test branded cds yesterday..sony, verbatim, iomega and imation. i only got a successful burn in verbatim and sony (not so successful). iomega--di na talaga mabasa ng cd drive ng laptop ko. imation, nero came up with a sorta error message. as for sony, although i was able to burn it smoothly with my nero..turns out that when i played it on a car component/cd player/discman/cd player sa bahay, may parang static na tunog...

Offline SPaCeMaN SPiFF

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: Aug 20, 2006 at 04:18 PM »
spaceman,

what brand of cd-r and dvd-r do you use?

i burn-test branded cds yesterday..sony, verbatim, iomega and imation. i only got a successful burn in verbatim and sony (not so successful). iomega--di na talaga mabasa ng cd drive ng laptop ko. imation, nero came up with a sorta error message. as for sony, although i was able to burn it smoothly with my nero..turns out that when i played it on a car component/cd player/discman/cd player sa bahay, may parang static na tunog...

like what snapy already mentioned... going by brand is useless... most brands switch manufacturers every now and then. also they migh have different manufacturers for their different kinds of dvd media. what makes their -R's might not be the same for their +R's... and still different from their lightscribe variants. use the nero dvd-speed utility and check the manufacturer's code... that's the best way to find out which manufacturer is best for you.

for CD-R, i pretty much use BENQ, RIDATA and TDK from CDR King... i almost never burn faster than 16x tho. (mostly because I like to work on the PC while it's burning and the lower speed assures a successful and more compatible burn.) there are some pretty good inexpensive ones out there too, like the white "media x" brand.

for DVD, from the ones you mentioned, IMATION isn't half bad... but i noticed that you have to burn it at lower speeds to get a "good burn". try writing on the IMATION dvd-r at 4x, you'd might be surprised at the result. personally i'm not too keen on VERBATIM. never did like how they make their dvd media. mostly it's because the dvd isn't readable even if you burn at 2x. LOL. or maybe because they are made by CMC (ugh!), ... you know the el cheapo "mr. data" discs? those are actually made by TDKs (manufacturer ID is TTG) ... then there's my current favorite... the extemely inexpensive VIO dvd... SONY makes them but they burn like a dream... even at 8x. same goes with RIDATA dvd media. (including the dual layer one... ;))

since you use an external DVD writer... i don't recommend you burn at your drive's fastest speed. mostly because data rate through a USB connection is really not at par with one that is connected at an IDE (internal) one. my advice is:  6x should be the maximum you burn (only if you need it in a hurry) ... with 4x being the norm. (burn your archived files at 4x! trust me.) all in all the time difference between burn speeds should only be 2 minutes or something. i'd rather wait the extra minutes and get a good disc, than insist on a faster speed and produce a ton of coasters. it's less of a load on your drive too...   ;)
« Last Edit: Aug 20, 2006 at 09:52 PM by SPaCeMaN SPiFF »

Offline strangebrew

• Apprentice
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: Aug 20, 2006 at 09:34 PM »
^^ again, thank you for your response and patience. i appreciate it. ahl remember everything you've said. :)

Offline strangebrew

• Apprentice
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: Aug 22, 2006 at 12:16 AM »
is there any 'reading scans for dummies' thread here? im a lil clueless in reading disc scans...hanggang disc info lang ang kaya kong basahin lol