Author Topic: Sale Alert! Post All Current/Upcoming Mall (Astro, "O," etc.) DVD Sales Here!  (Read 159904 times)

Offline Klaus Weasley

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 512
Saw this & it was not discounted.

Thanks. I'm still waiting for it to be discounted.

Offline Chet

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
M1 stores in Ayala Center seem to be on sale this weekend.  Got Prison Break Season 3 for P750 (down from P1,500!) and several Bond Ultimate Editions for P199 each!

Also saw Battlestar Galactica Box Sets for P600 each.

Oh, and got Night at the Museum for P199.  ;D

Offline fuuma_monou

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
Passed by Universal Tower on Quezon Avenue earlier today. There's a banner announcing the dates for the CD/DVD sale this month. Wasn't able to write down the exact dates, though.

Offline jonster

• Collector
  • Bring me to life.
  • Liked:
Bought at astro virramall Pirates of the Caribbean: At world's end (2disc) for P199. Also at megamall last week: Die Hard 4.0 and AVP2 both 2 disc and both at P199 each.  ;D
I'm my own worst enemy

Offline Chet

• Collector
  • Liked:
Looks like Powerplant is having its midyear mallwide sale, which will supposedly last until June 30.  Got House Season 4 Box Set for P750.00!  ;D

Offline hung up 25

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
im back 2 dvd collecting agen... ok b yung hitchcock 3 disc boxset on sale sa astro? worth 600 lng nman...

Offline syoti

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • DVD Addict
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
when's the next big sale?
i miss big sales like the ones in ASTRO PODIUM ???

Offline rythrtn

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Apprentice
  • Liked:
there's a sale at eastwood mall lobby.. warner stuff was there. saw sweeney todd 2 disc, zodiac, oceans 12, 13, true blood season 1, gossip girl season 2... i forgot the others just passed by to see what's the buzz... the dvds i think the cheapest is 299 for warner for others (magna, viva) same old price scheme buy 1 take 1 @ 450 and 750. they said they're on sale till the 31st. :D

Offline Klaus Weasley

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 512
Can someone please let me know when they see An American in Paris (2-disc) for sale? Thanks!

Offline orlydpogi

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Collector
  • I'm turning into a dvd addict!
  • Liked:
im back 2 dvd collecting agen... ok b yung hitchcock 3 disc boxset on sale sa astro? worth 600 lng nman...

check the label if it's 5.1 or widescreen version. i suggest you dont buy interactive format.

Offline keeper

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
check the label if it's 5.1 or widescreen version. i suggest you dont buy interactive format.

yup. never buy interactive. poor packaging n DVD quality. also, be careful with those jerry brcukheimer movies ( the rock, con air, enemy of the state, etc), it says at the back of the DVD na widescreen/2.35:1 but when u test it, its only half screen..
ONKYO606.WHARF 10.6,9CM,9DFS,PSW125.TOSH HDA35,XDE500,PCHA200, PANA AX200

Offline orlydpogi

• Collector
  • Liked:
yup. never buy interactive. poor packaging n DVD quality. also, be careful with those jerry brcukheimer movies ( the rock, con air, enemy of the state, etc), it says at the back of the DVD na widescreen/2.35:1 but when u test it, its only half screen..

you mean if its 2.35:1 widescreen, it looks half screen? may nabili kc ako na 2.40:1 na widescreen but i havent tested it yet. i thought all widescreen version are the same. i usually buy kc 16x9 aspect ratio anamorphic widescreen. thanks for info dude.

Offline orlydpogi

• Collector
  • Liked:
mga dude! check out ayala mall makati this weekends - Sep 11-13. dvd's are on sale until sunday. i just bought boxset of juarassic park 5.1 for only p450.00 (3cd's). buy one take 1 narin ang disney at odessey parksquare and O greenbelt. happy hunting!

Offline keeper

• Collector
  • Liked:
you mean if its 2.35:1 widescreen, it looks half screen? may nabili kc ako na 2.40:1 na widescreen but i havent tested it yet. i thought all widescreen version are the same. i usually buy kc 16x9 aspect ratio anamorphic widescreen. thanks for info dude.

no sir. 2.35:1 and 2.40:1 is widescreen, in fact, 2.40:1 seems to be the standard aspect ratio of the BD releases now. what i meant is that it is imperative to check the content mismo. the movies i enumerated kasi, naka sulat dun sa packaging nila na its 16x9 widescreen and 2.35:1 aspect ratio. but wen u actually test the disc, half screen lang pala ung pag ka record. its quite disappointing coz ur somehow being shortchanged by the info in the packaging.  >:(  buti nga lang at naging suki ko ung Astro at Audyssey dito sa Cebu and they allow me to test the DVD.  ;) usually kasi, its buy first before u test.

hmmmm... let me see, as far as i can remember, these discs are only halfscreen but the package say widescreen 2.35:1 aspect ratio.  the rock, master & commander(2disc), kingdom of heaven(2disc),x-men 1, x-men3(single disc), enemy of the state, con air, terminator 3, armageddon. even ung james bond na bagong labas, ung 2disc editions, ive tested 3 or 4, half screen lang.

Offline orlydpogi

• Collector
  • Liked:
no sir. 2.35:1 and 2.40:1 is widescreen, in fact, 2.40:1 seems to be the standard aspect ratio of the BD releases now. what i meant is that it is imperative to check the content mismo. the movies i enumerated kasi, naka sulat dun sa packaging nila na its 16x9 widescreen and 2.35:1 aspect ratio. but wen u actually test the disc, half screen lang pala ung pag ka record. its quite disappointing coz ur somehow being shortchanged by the info in the packaging.  >:(  buti nga lang at naging suki ko ung Astro at Audyssey dito sa Cebu and they allow me to test the DVD.  ;) usually kasi, its buy first before u test.

hmmmm... let me see, as far as i can remember, these discs are only halfscreen but the package say widescreen 2.35:1 aspect ratio.  the rock, master & commander(2disc), kingdom of heaven(2disc),x-men 1, x-men3(single disc), enemy of the state, con air, terminator 3, armageddon. even ung james bond na bagong labas, ung 2disc editions, ive tested 3 or 4, half screen lang.

thanks for this info. normally kc the sales staff of atro, odessey & o doesnt know this stuff.more often they dont allow to test the dvd here unless super suki ka siguro tlaga. hope you can recommend pa other good stuff/widescreen format dvd that you bought before na OK, hindi half screen. thanks.this info helps a lot.

Offline keeper

• Collector
  • Liked:
thanks for this info. normally kc the sales staff of atro, odessey & o doesnt know this stuff.

u can actually teach the sales staff abt this widescreen/half screen thing. next time u go to the DVD shop, get the ConAir dvd and the PEarl Harbor 2disc DVD. bargain with them to play/test the discs. the ConAir dvd is halfscreen and the Pearl Harbor is widescreen. they will see the difference in the black bars on the top and bottom.  ;) take note, both are labeled as widescreen/2.35:1 aspect ratio in their packaging.

Offline sardaukar

• Kagawad
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • DVD Guru
  • Don't Panic!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
When you say half screen, are you referring to full screen? Or are you referring to non-anamorphic? I've never heard of half screen.
« Last Edit: Sep 13, 2009 at 03:26 PM by sardaukar »

Offline allanmandy

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Mathematical!
  • Liked:

This is an erroneous generalization. C-Interactive has improved greatly on the quality of DVD's it has released in the past two years. Check out the C-Interactive threads to find out which releases are of excellent quality and which are not. Based on personal experience, the good ones are "Bridge To Terabithia", "Shoot 'Em Up", "The Brothers Grimm", "Sex and the City (Extended Edition)", "The Golden Compass", "The New World" and "Rendition".

Also, I do not know what you mean by half-screen. In my years of collecting, this is the only time I've read someone who complain of seeing an aspect ratio in half-screen. Those horizontal black bars that you see are actually an indication that the movie's in widescreen format. When you watch the movie on a widescreen TV (typically w/ 1.85:1 ratio), those black bars disappear (usually for 1.78:1 or 1.85:1 ratio) or are diminished (for 2.35:1 or 2.40:1 ratio), but when you watch on a standard format TV (1.33:1), those black bars appear bigger. Perhaps that is what you mean by half-screen?

« Last Edit: Sep 13, 2009 at 08:52 PM by allanmandy »

Offline orlydpogi

• Collector
  • Liked:
This is an erroneous generalization. C-Interactive has improved greatly on the quality of DVD's it has released in the past two years. Check out the C-Interactive threads to find out which releases are of excellent quality and which are not. Based on personal experience, the good ones are "Bridge To Terabithia", "Shoot 'Em Up", "The Brothers Grimm", "Sex and the City (Extended Edition)", "The Golden Compass", "The New World" and "Rendition".

Also, I do not know what you mean by half-screen. In my years of collecting, this is the only time I've read someone who complain of seeing an aspect ratio in half-screen. Those horizontal black bars that you see are actually an indication that the movie's in widescreen format. When you watch the movie on a widescreen TV (typically q/ 1.85:1 ratio), those black bars disappear (usually for 1.78:1 or 1.85:1 ratio) or are diminished (for 2.35:1 or 2.40:1 ratio), but when you watch on a standard format TV (1.33:1), those black bars appear bigger. Perhaps that is what you mean by half-screen?

Thank you mga bro. this is totally educational.alam ko nga ngayon ang difference between 1.85:1, 1.78:1, 2.35:1, 2:40:1 ,etc. Why can't manufacturer indicate this things all the time. I can't buy some of my favorite movies because it doesnt say 'widescreen' (example: "Shooter" atbp.)

On interactive, thanks for this info. I hope they really improve on quality. my friends advise me kase not to buy it because of poor quality like 'skipping scenes',etc.

Offline jas

• Trade Count: (+427)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1247
Mall of Asia will be having its mall-wide sale on September 18-20, so chances are Astro will also be on sale.   

Offline orlydpogi

• Collector
  • Liked:
Mall of Asia will be having its mall-wide sale on September 18-20, so chances are Astro will also be on sale.   

Yahoo!!! shopping time na maman. thanks for info.sana sale ang "benhur".

Offline orlydpogi

• Collector
  • Liked:

mga dude, check out Astro megamall, meron silang mga buy one take one for only P300.00. this is cheaper than their P450 buy one take one.  They have a stall located at the second floor of the bridgeway. dont go to the 3rd near cinema. mas mahal dun. some titles I saw were SWAT with nice packaging, Men in black II, Oscar best picture Dear Hunter, a Few good Men, at marami pa. I cant remember all.

Offline orlydpogi

• Collector
  • Liked:

extended sila up to Sep 21 kasi holiday. more time for shopping.

Offline orlydpogi

• Collector
  • Liked:
Mga Kaberks, you might want to check DVDs on sale at Podium - mallwide sale sila on Oct 2-4 ,2009
Also at SM Clark - Oct 2-4 rin. Go grab your favorite titles! See yah!!

Offline keeper

• Collector
  • Liked:
When you say half screen, are you referring to full screen? Or are you referring to non-anamorphic? I've never heard of half screen.

Also, I do not know what you mean by half-screen. In my years of collecting, this is the only time I've read someone who complain of seeing an aspect ratio in half-screen. Those horizontal black bars that you see are actually an indication that the movie's in widescreen format. When you watch the movie on a widescreen TV (typically w/ 1.85:1 ratio), those black bars disappear (usually for 1.78:1 or 1.85:1 ratio) or are diminished (for 2.35:1 or 2.40:1 ratio), but when you watch on a standard format TV (1.33:1), those black bars appear bigger. Perhaps that is what you mean by half-screen?

good pm sirs. been a while since i last checked this thread.

pasensya na po, baka po mali ung term ko. so i decided to let pics do the talking. ;)

first the dvd specs

king arthur DVD, as u can see, based on the packaging:
aspect ratio : 2.35:1  16x9

enemy of the state DVD
aspect ratio : 2.35:1  16x9

same specs po, so we'll be expecting the same output,tama po ba?
however...

mas makapal ung black bars ng enemy of the state ( twice the thickness sa King Arthur). Eto po ung sinasabi ko na HALF SCREEN. from what i understand sa specs, it should not be the case. kaya po ko nasabi na may discrepancy sa sinasabi ng packaging specs sa actual movie output.

pasensya na po sa washed out images. i turned on the penlights sa HT para makita ung borders ng PJ screen. at makita ung thickness ng black bars.

;) ;) :)

« Last Edit: Sep 26, 2009 at 08:37 PM by keeper »

Offline Dan

• Trade Count: (+133)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 217

mas makapal ung black bars ng enemy of the state ( twice the thickness sa King Arthur). Eto po ung sinasabi ko na HALF SCREEN. from what i understand sa specs, it should not be the case. kaya po ko nasabi na may discrepancy sa sinasabi ng packaging specs sa actual movie output.

pasensya na po sa washed out images. i turned on the penlights sa HT para makita ung borders ng PJ screen. at makita ung thickness ng black bars.

;) ;) :)

Baka nagkamali lang siguro sa label ng aspect ratio. But both these movies are presented in widescreen formats as shown in the photos you posted above.

Huwag kang madismaya. Hindi ka kinukulangan ng mga studio, DVD manufacturer o kaya yung nagbebenta ng DVD. Bawat director at cinematographer may kanya-kanyang presentation na gustong ipalabas sa sinehan. Minsan, gumagamit sila ng ina-ibang aspect ratio ayon sa gusto nilang ipahiwatig sa manonood.

Dalawa lang naman ang dapat mong alalahanin--kung WIDESCREEN ba o FULLSCREEN ang napapanood mo.

Walang term sa DVD presentation na "halfscreen".

For more info, click ka dito:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aspect_ratio

Lahat ng tanong mo masasagot.
« Last Edit: Sep 26, 2009 at 09:01 PM by Dan »

Offline keeper

• Collector
  • Liked:
Baka nagkamali lang siguro sa label ng aspect ratio. But both these movies are presented in widescreen formats as shown in the photos you posted above.

Huwag kang madismaya. Hindi ka kinukulangan ng mga studio, DVD manufacturer o kaya yung nagbebenta ng DVD. Bawat director at cinematographer may kanya-kanyang presentation na gustong ipalabas sa sinehan. Minsan, gumagamit sila ng ina-ibang aspect ratio ayon sa gusto nilang ipahiwatig sa manonood.

Dalawa lang naman ang dapat mong alalahanin--kung WIDESCREEN ba o FULLSCREEN ang napapanood mo.

Walang term sa DVD presentation na "halfscreen".

For more info, click ka dito:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aspect_ratio

Lahat ng tanong mo masasagot.

thanks for your inputs and the link sir. will spend time with it.  ;)
but still, id stay away from the dvds with the same output as that of enemy of the state, personal preference. ;D

thanks again po.

Offline Dan

• Trade Count: (+133)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 217
but still, id stay away from the dvds with the same output as that of enemy of the state, personal preference. ;D

Ok. Pero bear in mind, hindi yan magbabago. Ganyan talaga ang aspect ratio na ginamit ng cinematographer. Ang susunod dyan ay fullscreen na.

Sana lang huwag mo husgahan ang palabas dahil lang sa akala mo nagkulang. Sa mundo ng cinema, ang may kulang lang ay ang karaniwan fullscreen presentations.

Pwera na lang kung Finding Nemo DVD ;D Ang widescreen version nun dinagdagan mismo para lang maging fullscreen  ;D ;D

Offline davidson

• Trade Count: (+193)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 12
thanks for your inputs and the link sir. will spend time with it.  ;)

thanks again po.

Your Enemy of the State dvd has bigger black bars because it is non-anamorphic. It's still in widescreen form but it is not enhanced for widescreen tv's. Older discs are mostly not enhanced for widescreen tv's. King Arthur meanwhile is anamorphic.

Offline keeper

• Collector
  • Liked:
Ok. Pero bear in mind, hindi yan magbabago. Ganyan talaga ang aspect ratio na ginamit ng cinematographer. Ang susunod dyan ay fullscreen na.

yup. checked the link u gave me po. good read!  ;)

Your Enemy of the State dvd has bigger black bars because it is non-anamorphic. It's still in widescreen form but it is not enhanced for widescreen tv's. Older discs are mostly not enhanced for widescreen tv's. King Arthur meanwhile is anamorphic.

yup. na discuss din to sa link na binigay ni sir Dan. ;)

thanks for your inputs guys. learned something new again.
eto talaga maganda dito, sharing of information!  ;D ;)  ;D