Author Topic: The War Begins...  (Read 106709 times)

Offline chuck427

• Trade Count: (0)
  • DVD Guru
  • Bluray=103 PS3=12 DVD=139
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: The War Begins...
« Reply #1410 on: Nov 12, 2007 at 11:59 PM »
Analysis:

Did Sony's CEO Dig Blu-Ray's Grave, or Was This Just a Series of Idiotic Events?
Nov. 12, 2007 by  Christopher Hogg

Sony let its guard down for a millisecond, and it's going to take a beating for it. The head of Sony told the media the high-def DVD battle was in a stalemate. He also said he wished he would have collaborated with Toshiba rather than competing. What?

http://www.digitaljournal.com/article/246067/Did_Sony_s_CEO_Dig_Blu_Ray_s_Grave_or_Was_This_Just_a_Series_of_Idiotic_Events_

well, we dont really know what Sony's CEO is thinking..but im sure he has something up his sleeve.. :)
Tosh46FHD,Denon1905,BDP1000,PS3,Wii,XBOX360,PhillipsUPDVD,Wharf

Offline chuck427

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #1411 on: Nov 13, 2007 at 12:01 AM »
Probably it's the other way...when software prices drop....we might actually spend more... :P ;D

hahahahahaha very good point Sir Paul..well, cheers to spending!!!!  ;D

Offline pchin

• Trade Count: (+122)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • HD-Men
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #1412 on: Nov 14, 2007 at 07:31 AM »
Blu-ray 1.1: A Lawsuit Waiting To Happen?

Early adopters of Blu-ray Disc could be so incensed by changes being made to 'their' movie format that they could sue Hollywood studios and hardware makers alike.

This is because many Blu-ray movies being launched next year have interactive menus and other features that take advantage of BD-Video Final Standard Profile 1.1 - a new hardware standard that mandates technology like persistent memory, BD Java and internet connections (optional) that older Blu-ray decks do not have.

Blu-ray: accident or design?

If you've ponied up in excess of £1,000 for a Blu-ray deck in that last couple of years that can't play or won't play these new features, you're gonna feel pretty miffed. So says Olivier Van Wynendaele, spokesman for the European arm of the HD DVD Promotion Group. To be honest, he has a point, and it's a very good one:

"You some have hardware limitations. Persistent memory, for instance, mandates that you have flash memory inside the player, which is what HD DVD players have."

"You can't upgrade the hardware"
"Take a Samsung or a Sony player - they have no flash memory. How will you introduce flash memory into a player which has already been designed and introduced? It's not a PC, you can't change the board, you can't upgrade it," Van Wynendaele told Tech.co.uk.

Wynendaele then cites the Blu-ray release of sci-fi actioner Sunshine as an example of how this could be a problem. Sunshine is the first Blu-ray from any Hollywood studio that includes a Picture-in-Picture function so you can see, rather than just hear, movie-makers comments.

"This feature won't work on any Blu-ray player available today. Even on the PS3...", he says. The PS3's saving grace, however, is that it can be upgraded to the Profile 1.1 specification with a firmware update.

"The first people who will buy your Blu-ray player are early adopters, the tech guys and so on. The ones who love new technology and features. They want the best. They are the ones who make the reputation of the format, of the product... those people are very important from the start.

"You'd better have those people on your side, for you rather than against you, because a small pool can make a large noise. And if those people make too much noise then the majority won't buy your product.

Full article
« Last Edit: Nov 14, 2007 at 07:32 AM by pchin »

Offline threadlock

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #1413 on: Nov 14, 2007 at 03:30 PM »
« Last Edit: Nov 14, 2007 at 03:30 PM by threadlock »
With too many options you could end up not choosing one

Offline killer_smile3

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Collector
  • PS3 & Xbox360 Fanatic
  • Liked:
« Reply #1414 on: Nov 17, 2007 at 12:56 PM »
I think I'm going to stick with my HD DVD add on even though my xbox is experiencing overheating problems. It's better this way than to spend money on a new format that might eventually fail.

Offline pchin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HD-Men
  • Liked:
« Reply #1415 on: Nov 17, 2007 at 01:00 PM »
killer, how's your Xbox..it's fix na? Since you're gamer, perhaps getting a PS3 as an interim solution is viable. You can watch BD & play games at the same time. Either format win/lose...you still have a game console to enjoy all your favourite games. :)

The newly released & cheaper PS3 40Gb is here na.  ;D

Offline killer_smile3

• Collector
  • PS3 & Xbox360 Fanatic
  • Liked:
« Reply #1416 on: Nov 17, 2007 at 01:18 PM »
Sir Paul, my xbox 360 is not yet fixed. I'm excited to have it fixed. I've been thinkin about acquiring the ps3 but I'm having second thoughts coz I'm not yet convinced to go neutral. Red pill lang muna ako. ;)

Offline Marl☆1

• Trade Count: (+32)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Ride Hard.
  • Liked:
« Reply #1417 on: Nov 20, 2007 at 12:33 PM »

Offline pchin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HD-Men
  • Liked:
« Reply #1418 on: Nov 20, 2007 at 12:59 PM »
Yup, some fans constantly getting into debate over the silly war...."Guys, get a life"  ;D

Nevertheless, it's interesting to see how the war goes on...now that the holiday/shopping season is here...phew it will get a lot worse... :-X

Offline Marl☆1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Ride Hard.
  • Liked:
« Reply #1419 on: Nov 20, 2007 at 01:15 PM »
Yup, some fans constantly getting into debate over the silly war...."Guys, get a life"  ;D

Nevertheless, it's interesting to see how the war goes on...now that the holiday/shopping season is here...phew it will get a lot worse... :-X

Hehe... healthy competition I'd say.  ;D  BTW bro, can you direct me to a link or thread in this forum which stacks up the HD disposition of our very own PDVD members?  How many are on the Red/Blue/Neutral side?  Would be interesting to know lang.  Thanks  :)

Offline pchin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HD-Men
  • Liked:
« Reply #1420 on: Nov 20, 2007 at 01:47 PM »
BTW bro, can you direct me to a link or thread in this forum which stacks up the HD disposition of our very own PDVD members?  How many are on the Red/Blue/Neutral side?  Would be interesting to know lang.  Thanks  :)

I'm not sure if there's a thread on this. But you may refer to the "Whats your latest HD DVD/BLU-RAY purchase?" or "Show em your HD DVD/Blu-ray Titles Here (collection)!!" threads to see what the members are buying or already owned. Most of us are Neutral/Purple na... ;D

Offline Marl☆1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Ride Hard.
  • Liked:
« Reply #1421 on: Nov 20, 2007 at 04:53 PM »
I'm not sure if there's a thread on this. But you may refer to the "Whats your latest HD DVD/BLU-RAY purchase?" or "Show em your HD DVD/Blu-ray Titles Here (collection)!!" threads to see what the members are buying or already owned. Most of us are Neutral/Purple na... ;D

Haha... thanks Paul.  Well, guess I'll just hold my breath till the price of the A30/35 goes further down... If I hold it long enough... will surely turn PURPLE by default...  :D

Offline sight

• Collector
  • _
  • Liked:
Blu-ray players to be obsolete by 2007
« Reply #1422 on: Nov 20, 2007 at 07:49 PM »

Offline pchin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HD-Men
  • Liked:
« Reply #1423 on: Nov 20, 2007 at 07:58 PM »
Essentially all BD players that don't conform to the BD Profile 1.1 in order to offer fully-functioning BD-Java, bringing PIP interactivity for in-movie commentaries and special features are considered obsolete.  ;D

But I guess not all fans are concerned with the special features/bonus so they should still able to  playback the movies without any problem unless all the "new BD-J discs" will render playback malfunction?? :-[

Offline oReOsHaKe

• Trade Count: (+642)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #1424 on: Nov 20, 2007 at 09:54 PM »
Essentially all BD players that don't conform to the BD Profile 1.1 in order to offer fully-functioning BD-Java, bringing PIP interactivity for in-movie commentaries and special features are considered obsolete.  ;D

But I guess not all fans are concerned with the special features/bonus so they should still able to  playback the movies without any problem unless all the "new BD-J discs" will render playback malfunction?? :-[

This is no problem with me since I don't watch commentaries and special features anyway..  ;) ;) ;) 
DALI OPTICON 8 : Zensor : Polk Audio F/XiA4 : ONKYO 5010 : OPPO BDP-103 : Panny AE8000 : Dual PB1000

Offline chuck427

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #1425 on: Nov 26, 2007 at 12:21 AM »

I agree..but my main concern is the movie itself..like "day after tomorrow", it keeps freezing on my 1st gen Samsung bdp1000..i dont mind the long load times, but i just wish that when it starts, it doesnt stutter...  :'( still waiting for the new firmware update..

Offline Mouldingo

• DVD Guru
  • Life's too short, don't waste it!!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1426 on: Nov 28, 2007 at 06:05 PM »
Onkyo, priced out of HD DVD, discontinues its HD805 HD DVD player

The first Onkyo HD DVD player has been available in Italy for a few days now, but it can already be considered as a collector's item, because there are very few units in existence, and Onkyo has stopped its production.

We were waiting for a unit of the first Onkyo HD DVD player, the DV-HD805, for review on the pages of AV Magazine. After a conversation with Tecnofuturo, the Brescia-based Italian distributor of the Japanese manufacturer, we decided in mutual agreement that it was not worth the trouble. The reasons are quickly explained: the DV-HD805 is no other than a rebranded Toshiba HD-XE1 HD DVD player, which is already compatible with streaming of all lossless multichannel HD codecs via HDMI 1.3, and there are only few units of it available.

In view of the new marketing policy being applied by Toshiba, consisting of sinking the price of its own players, Onkyo has difficulty in positioning its own player (the Europe list price is 899 euros) and has therefore decided to stop production. The scarce units produced have been redistributed in varios markets. It has been known that barely 11 units arrived in Italy, and no others will come. Germany has been more fortunate, with 20 units, and Spain will receive none.

As to why it was decided not to review such a product, apart from its being a clone, it won't be effectively be available on the market (the 11 Italian units are already sold). We thank Tecnofuturo for such a quick communication and we apologize to the enthusiasts. Onkyo is already working actively on a new player and according to tidbits it could be this time a Blu-ray player or a hybrid player. We'll have other news and more confirmation during the upcoming CES at Las Vegas.

Avmagazine.it

Offline killer_smile3

• Collector
  • PS3 & Xbox360 Fanatic
  • Liked:
« Reply #1427 on: Nov 28, 2007 at 10:37 PM »
It's pretty apparent that Toshiba's strategy is "Cost Leadership". Go HDDVD!

Offline pchin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HD-Men
  • Liked:
« Reply #1428 on: Nov 28, 2007 at 11:34 PM »
Some HD fan boys will certainly get upset over the withdrawal of Onkyo HD DVD players as they are looking for a higher end model. Looks like Toshiba is destined to be the lone ranger. :)

Offline SirLaw11

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #1429 on: Nov 29, 2007 at 12:05 PM »
The HD805 is indeed in very limited quantity in europe, but here in the US, HD805 is not discontinued at all. And onkyo HD805 is not even onkyo's high end model. The Integra DHS-8.8 is onkyo's flagship HD DVD player.
« Last Edit: Nov 29, 2007 at 01:03 PM by SirLaw11 »
Format neutral

Offline pchin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HD-Men
  • Liked:
« Reply #1430 on: Nov 29, 2007 at 03:49 PM »
That's good news for the USA fanboys. :D  The suggested retail price for DV-HD805 is $899. That's almost P40,000 without shipping. Still not high-end as compared to Tosh A35? ::)

SirLaw11, I'm not familiar with Integra. I can't find the DHS-8.8 model at Onkyo's website. It's it released na in the market? Based on the specs revealed in the press release (nothing is mentioned on Onkyo name?)...they're drooling... :D

Offline SirLaw11

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #1431 on: Nov 30, 2007 at 11:35 AM »
SirLaw11, I'm not familiar with Integra. I can't find the DHS-8.8 model at Onkyo's website. It's it released na in the market? Based on the specs revealed in the press release (nothing is mentioned on Onkyo name?)...they're drooling...

You won't be able to find the integras DHS-8.8 in onkyo's website for they have there own website. Integra is the High End line up of onkyo. Here's there website including the DHS-8.8 HD DVD player.

http://www.integrahometheater.com/prod_class.cfm?class=DVD
Format neutral

Offline nels76

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • DVD Addict
  • extraordinarily intense AUDIO
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #1432 on: Dec 05, 2007 at 12:24 PM »
BDA: 2.7 million Blu-ray players and PS3's sold through black friday

Counting standalone players and the PS3, a total of 2.7 million Blu-ray players have now been sold through to consumers.

That's the word from the Blu-ray Disc Association, in what seems to be a clear response to the HD DVD camp's recent announcement that it had sold over 750,000 "dedicated" players (including standalones and the Xbox 360 HD DVD add-on).
ADVERTISEMENT

That earlier report from the HD DVD camp sparked outrage from Blu-ray supporters, who complained that HD DVD backers were for the first time including sales of the Xbox HD DVD add-on in their numbers to create the artificial impression of a Black Friday sales surge for the format.

In its new announcement, the BDA fights fire with fire, counting both standalone Blu-ray players and the Playstation 3 to come up with a staggering 2.7 million units sold through Black Friday.

Neither group broke out individual sales numbers for standalone players and console-based players.

The BDA went on to tout recently-released Nielsen VideoScan numbers, which gave Blu-ray a resounding lead in software sales Thanksgiving week, boasting 72.6% of all discs sold (compared to 27.4% for HD DVD).

In a statement, the group said, "Despite the $99 HD DVD fire sale, Blu-ray movies were flying off the shelves in this crucial holiday shopping period.""

http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/show/Industry_Trends/BDA:_2.7_million_Blu-ray_Players_Sold/1228
The Mysterious Gamma Ray Burst

Offline pchin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HD-Men
  • Liked:
« Reply #1433 on: Dec 05, 2007 at 03:16 PM »
You won't be able to find the integras DHS-8.8 in onkyo's website for they have there own website. Integra is the High End line up of onkyo. Here's there website including the DHS-8.8 HD DVD player.

http://www.integrahometheater.com/prod_class.cfm?class=DVD

Got it SirLaw11. I'm salivating!! :)

Offline barrister

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • cessante ratione legis, cessat ipsa lex
  • Liked:
« Reply #1434 on: Dec 09, 2007 at 12:13 PM »
About the Paramount/Dreamworks/HD DVD issue, director Michael Bay originally wrote on a blog post:

"I want people to see my movies in the best formats possible. For them to deny people who have Blu-ray sucks! They were progressive by having two formats. No Transformers 2 for me!"

Michael Bay quickly changed his mind, then wrote:

"Last night at dinner I was having dinner with three Blu-ray owners. They were pissed about no Transformers Blu-ray, and I drank the Kool-Aid hook, line and sinker. So at 1:30 in the morning I posted -- nothing good ever comes out of early AM posts, mind you -- I over reacted. I heard where Paramount is coming from and the future of HD and players that will be close to the $200 mark which is the magic number. I like what I heard.

As a director, I'm all about people seeing films in the best quality possible, and I saw and heard firsthand people upset about a corporate decision.

So today I saw 300 on HD, it rocks!

So I think I might be back on to do Transformers 2!"

========================================================

Eto na naman si Michael Bay ---

Bagong sulong:

Microsoft IsThe Evil Empire According To Michael Bay
By Tim Beringer: 2007-12-05 15:56:06 

http://www.cinemablend.com/games/Microsoft-IsThe-Evil-Empire-According-To-Michael-Bay-7618.html

Bagong urong (at konti pang sulong):

Bay backtracks: "doesn't care" about format war
Thursday 6-Dec-2007 10:52 AM
But "Blu-ray suits my films better", says the Transformers director

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=177017

May credibility pa ba siya?

« Last Edit: Dec 09, 2007 at 12:14 PM by barrister »

Offline pchin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HD-Men
  • Liked:
« Reply #1435 on: Dec 09, 2007 at 08:16 PM »
I agree. The guy's brains need to be examined! ;D

Offline dB10

• Trade Count: (+28)
  • DVD Addict
  • karma does not discriminate
  • Liked:
« Reply #1436 on: Dec 09, 2007 at 09:43 PM »
I agree. The guy's brains need to be examined! ;D

they'l see how it "transforms" every now and then ;D
"...be careful & ready what you wish for, it may come true"

Offline Marl☆1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Ride Hard.
  • Liked:
« Reply #1437 on: Dec 10, 2007 at 12:15 AM »

Microsoft IsThe Evil Empire According To Michael Bay
By Tim Beringer: 2007-12-05 15:56:06 

http://www.cinemablend.com/games/Microsoft-IsThe-Evil-Empire-According-To-Michael-Bay-7618.html

Is he serious?  I gather he's pretty outspoken but can a director of his stature come out with trashy soundbites?  Either it's blown out of proportion or he has partially gone 'mental.'  In his site though, there were some fans who supported his stand on 'Microsoft's evil schemes of world domination.'  ;D

Sayang, excellent directorial career pa naman; aside from Transformers - Armageddon, The Rock, Pearl Harbor, Bad Boys, and he's just going out on a limb and throwing it all away.  :-[

Offline nukee

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #1438 on: Dec 11, 2007 at 08:02 PM »
Wala na ba talagang hope for transformers blu-ray?

Offline et414

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • DVD Addict
  • its gonna be LEGEN... wait for it... DARY! ;)
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #1439 on: Dec 11, 2007 at 08:10 PM »
wait a while ;)