Author Topic: The War Begins...  (Read 106993 times)

Offline barrid

• Trade Count: (0)
  • DVD Guru
  • What's on your mind?
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: The War Begins...
« Reply #150 on: Jul 19, 2006 at 11:32 AM »
Disney a company who once stated that would not somewhat support DVD is now supporting a new media.  ??? That's something!  ;D
There's something to learn everyday

Offline av_phile1

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Cheers from a movie and music lover
  • Liked:
« Reply #151 on: Jul 19, 2006 at 01:50 PM »
For me, the eventual release of LOTR and the Matrix in HD-DVD is enough incentive to go HD-DVD.  Disney pics can remain in the current DVD format for a long long while.  The kids are happy enough in that format.   Toy Story, Nemo, and a host of Pixar films are already quite gorgeous in upsampled DVD.   And there's only so much improvement and restoration you can do with old Disney anmation prints.  Snow White in blu-ray???  Ho- hum. 
« Last Edit: Jul 24, 2006 at 10:21 AM by av_phile1 »

Offline Munskie

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • HighDef Enthusiast
  • Liked:
« Reply #152 on: Jul 24, 2006 at 09:00 AM »
another reason to hold back that HD player purchase...

Samsung BD player has faulty chip..... click here

Offline Kratos

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #153 on: Jul 24, 2006 at 01:55 PM »
Some more war news....

HD DVD backers to Launch $150 million Ad Campaign (click) :o :o 

It will feature a home theater truck......hehehe sana dito meron din...  ;D ;D which i doubt

Toshiba is our client and right now we are doing designs for the HD-DVD HT truck campaign here in dubai featuring their HD-DVD enabled laptop Qosmio. Its really a massive campaign to promote HD-DVD. Ill post pix when we finished this project (if theye approved our design proposition).

Offline slowhand

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #154 on: Jul 25, 2006 at 07:04 AM »
Denon is reportedly releasing an $800 HD-DVD player this year. NAD is supposed to be releasing a $1,000 HD-DVD player in November. It would be the first 1080p HDMI 1.3 HD-DVD player on the market, as well as the first player to do internal decoding of the high-end DTS codecs.

Offline Munskie

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HighDef Enthusiast
  • Liked:
« Reply #155 on: Jul 25, 2006 at 10:10 AM »
pag ba hdmi 1.3 na, di na sya compatible dun sa hdmi input ng mga PJ, say a panny ae900? :)
« Last Edit: Jul 25, 2006 at 10:11 AM by Munskie »

Offline Phobos

• Konsehal
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Forum Nazi
  • Liked:
« Reply #156 on: Jul 25, 2006 at 10:34 PM »

Offline Kratos

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #157 on: Jul 26, 2006 at 06:04 PM »
That's outrageously funny man!
« Last Edit: Jul 26, 2006 at 07:10 PM by Phobos »

Offline av_phile1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #158 on: Jul 27, 2006 at 11:23 AM »
Denon is reportedly releasing an $800 HD-DVD player this year. NAD is supposed to be releasing a $1,000 HD-DVD player in November. It would be the first 1080p HDMI 1.3 HD-DVD player on the market, as well as the first player to do internal decoding of the high-end DTS codecs.

Care to point to an internet site on these announcements?  Thanks.

Offline slowhand

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #159 on: Jul 28, 2006 at 06:40 AM »
No Internet announcements as of this date (July 28). Newsbit comes from a U.S. dealer, so the info is still in the supply chain, not yet in the public domain.

The Denon is sparking some interest as customers seem to be happy with their recent-generation standard dvd players. Let's see what happens.
« Last Edit: Jul 28, 2006 at 06:49 AM by slowhand »

Offline Munskie

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HighDef Enthusiast
  • Liked:
« Reply #160 on: Jul 28, 2006 at 09:20 AM »
I surmise if a Denon HD DVD player comes out...its pricier than the Toshiba....

Offline av_phile1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #161 on: Jul 28, 2006 at 01:16 PM »
Another plus factor in favour of HD-DVD is that their dics don't carry region-coding as the players themselves are region-free.  Whereas Blu-Ray has.  At least for now. 
« Last Edit: Jul 28, 2006 at 01:21 PM by av_phile1 »

Offline rascal101

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Naraniag nga aldaw kinyayo amin
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 41
« Reply #162 on: Aug 02, 2006 at 11:28 AM »

Offline Munskie

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HighDef Enthusiast
  • Liked:
« Reply #163 on: Aug 02, 2006 at 02:17 PM »
Review on HD-DVD vs Blu-Ray ... http://www.highdefdigest.com/feature_blurayvshddvd_firstcomparison.html

just read it...ay naku...Bugbog na naman ang Blu-Ray.  In those three titles which has dual releases in HD DVD and Blu-Ray:  Training Day, Kiss Kiss Bang Bang, and Rumor Has It.........HD DVD was the winner in each face-off. 

Offline bachwitz

• DVD Addict
  • Musica delenit bestiam feram
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 35
« Reply #164 on: Aug 09, 2006 at 01:25 PM »
A friend of mine went to cyberzone in MM. Infomax store have a demo of toshiba HD-DVD connected to a  pioneer plasma. Showing was Cinderella man.

He also saw Underworld BD and Last Samurai HD-DVD disc on display.

Might drop there later. 
« Last Edit: Aug 09, 2006 at 01:39 PM by bachwitz »

Offline Kratos

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #165 on: Aug 09, 2006 at 03:13 PM »
A friend of mine went to cyberzone in MM. Infomax store have a demo of toshiba HD-DVD connected to a  pioneer plasma. Showing was Cinderella man.

He also saw Underworld BD and Last Samurai HD-DVD disc on display.

Might drop there later. 

That's cool, can you do a mini review after you demo the BD and HD-DVD comparison?

Offline Munskie

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HighDef Enthusiast
  • Liked:
« Reply #166 on: Aug 09, 2006 at 08:12 PM »
wow...first commercial sightings......are they selling na the TOSH? details naman oh.... :)

Offline bachwitz

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #167 on: Aug 10, 2006 at 10:21 AM »
I Wasnt able to go there yesterday. :(

@kratos - only HD-DVD is on Demo.

@munskie - according to my friend, The size of the plasma is around 40-42 inches. They selling the tosh for P42K.  The width of the remote is normal, but the length is about 13-18 inches. 
« Last Edit: Aug 10, 2006 at 10:24 AM by bachwitz »

Offline Munskie

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HighDef Enthusiast
  • Liked:
« Reply #168 on: Aug 10, 2006 at 10:51 AM »
I Wasnt able to go there yesterday. :(

@kratos - only HD-DVD is on Demo.

@munskie - according to my friend, The size of the plasma is around 40-42 inches. They selling the tosh for P42K.  The width of the remote is normal, but the length is about 13-18 inches. 
wow!!!!  42k? kaya its really expensive to be an early adopter, sa US its $499...

Offline bachwitz

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #169 on: Aug 10, 2006 at 01:45 PM »
just got back from infoMaxx.

They are still playing cinderella man as demo. I havent seen it yet on DVD I really cant compare, nevertheless heres my initial impression.

-though theyre playing the demo on a big screen (42" plasma). I can say the resolution is the same or a bit bitter than my 28" jap surplus tv
-around 5 feet away, I can see a little bit of noise on dark scenes.
- according to the lady the resolution is running on 1080p(?) maybe its 1080i.

addtional note:
-they have lots of BD and HDDVD disc on display, price is from P1600-P2100
-they also have a samsung BD player which is still on box. with a whooping price of P65.5K

Offline Munskie

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HighDef Enthusiast
  • Liked:
« Reply #170 on: Aug 10, 2006 at 01:54 PM »
yup, ur right, the resolution is 1080i, the Tosh HD DVD player still cant do 1080p output.....but discs I believe are already encoded in 1080p......as with user reviews, noticeable diffrence starts at larger screens, better kung projector ang gamit....

samsung BD player pricing in US is $1000k......the only way to go for their prices is down.....I hope... :)

at least me sighting na locally......by january, we'll have some good look who will be ahead by round two......round one won by HD DVD camp....
« Last Edit: Aug 10, 2006 at 01:55 PM by Munskie »

Offline bayonic

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #171 on: Aug 10, 2006 at 07:37 PM »
wow!!!!  42k? kaya its really expensive to be an early adopter, sa US its $499...

magkano kaya aabutin if you order online assuming they will ship to manila ?

499 + freight + taxes and duties ?

Offline baby

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • DVD Guru
  • who are you calling a llama???
  • Liked:
« Reply #172 on: Aug 10, 2006 at 08:48 PM »
magkano kaya aabutin if you order online assuming they will ship to manila ?

499 + freight + taxes and duties ?

Sadly.  Hindi pwede mag ship ng electronics form US to any other country.  May warranty kasi or may iba pang reason.  In other words.  Hindi pwede hardware. sofware lang pwede.  Pero Kung may magpapadala, pwede.  At hindi aabot sa 40k range.  Basta conceal lang ang box at huwag papadaan sa MCPO. ;D

Offline Munskie

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HighDef Enthusiast
  • Liked:
« Reply #173 on: Aug 10, 2006 at 11:33 PM »
according to a fellow pinoydvder....medyo hirap ang supply ng TOSh HD DVD....you might get a unit, pero black market, which will cost you more than the $499 tag price....mababa pa rin dun sa 42k local price indicated here...something like 36k including shipping ....though not shipped by seller but by relatives

Offline bachwitz

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #174 on: Aug 11, 2006 at 11:29 AM »
Personally, Im not that satisfied with what I saw yesterday. Is this next gen just all hype?
I mean pq was great but not the 'ohhh' and 'ahhh'  i felt when I first saw DVD compared to VHS.

heres a comparison

VHS to DVD  = windows 3.1 to windows95

DVD to HD-DVD = windows95 to windows98

« Last Edit: Aug 11, 2006 at 11:30 AM by bachwitz »

Offline Kratos

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #175 on: Aug 14, 2006 at 06:12 PM »
Personally, Im not that satisfied with what I saw yesterday. Is this next gen just all hype?
I mean pq was great but not the 'ohhh' and 'ahhh'  i felt when I first saw DVD compared to VHS.

heres a comparison

VHS to DVD  = windows 3.1 to windows95

DVD to HD-DVD = windows95 to windows98

Maybe the demo you saw used smaller display kaya you didnt notice the difference. I belive you will notice the gain in PQ when viewing it in larger displays or PJ. But nevertheless this insight is very helpful.

Offline pchin

• Trade Count: (+122)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • HD-Men
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #176 on: Aug 14, 2006 at 06:55 PM »
It's very deceiving in observing the PQ in HD. Lost of factors have to be taken into consideration as pointed out by other members. Disc source, type of HDTV, size, viewing distance, etc  ;)

Similar in comparison btw a sedan cheap Toyato & a luxury BMW...there's a BIG price & quality difference right? But for some people they're the same cos they're all cars & as long as they can travel from point A to point B, that's good enough. But for those who know how the quality difference must know first where to 'see"....the design, the engines, the power, the weight, the materials used, etc  ;D

Offline alvinthx2

• DVD Addict
  • System= source+amplification+speaker+ROOM
  • Liked:
« Reply #177 on: Aug 15, 2006 at 09:50 AM »
From my 3 months experience with HD dvd, the difference in PQ and Audio quality is really huge, Take the case of The last Samurai, the etching pattern on their clothes are clearlly visible, the grass looks very natural and the color saturation is excellent. For 499 dollars the HD-A1 is a steal. I have 2 DVD players costing 3250 and 1600 US dollars respectively but they cannot keep up with the quality. The picture quality is determined by the weakest link in your system. I dont even care about the demo's in store because I know I can (in most cases) do a better job than they can. I do my own greyscale calibration and to see a video presentation with a uniform d65 color temperature at 20 to 100 IRE is exceptional.

If you will use a 842x480 plasma to display its capability then you are not doing justice to the source. It will look better but not exceptional. Now if you can use a display that can handle 720p or native 1080i then you are in for a treat.

As a general rule, if your display is 60 inch and below then you might see an improvement of 20% but as you go bigger, maybe 100 inch PJ, then the difference will not be suttle anymore.
STORMAUDIORevel,BAT,VPI,Accuphase,Bryston,Lumagen,Esoteric,PMC,AR,ROON,PURIFI,BENCHMARK,JBL

Offline alvinthx2

• DVD Addict
  • System= source+amplification+speaker+ROOM
  • Liked:
« Reply #178 on: Aug 15, 2006 at 10:02 AM »
I dont know if this was posted already but the Toshiba HD players are heavy at 21 lbs. Shipping would range from around 100 to 180 dollars depending on the mode of transport
STORMAUDIORevel,BAT,VPI,Accuphase,Bryston,Lumagen,Esoteric,PMC,AR,ROON,PURIFI,BENCHMARK,JBL

Offline nels76

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • DVD Addict
  • extraordinarily intense AUDIO
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #179 on: Aug 15, 2006 at 11:51 AM »
It's very deceiving in observing the PQ in HD. Lost of factors have to be taken into consideration as pointed out by other members. Disc source, type of HDTV, size, viewing distance, etc  ;)

Similar in comparison btw a sedan cheap Toyato & a luxury BMW...there's a BIG price & quality difference right? But for some people they're the same cos they're all cars & as long as they can travel from point A to point B, that's good enough. But for those who know how the quality difference must know first where to 'see"....the design, the engines, the power, the weight, the materials used, etc  ;D

Good analogy to defend the next-gen DVDs.

Isa sa major differences between the current gen DVD and the next-gen DVD is the surround format used, which according to the review (on the previous page of this thread), is much superior than DTS and DD. 
The Mysterious Gamma Ray Burst