Author Topic: The War Begins...  (Read 106718 times)

Offline barrister

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • cessante ratione legis, cessat ipsa lex
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: The War Begins...
« Reply #1500 on: Jan 21, 2008 at 10:56 AM »

You’re Not Buying Gadgets, You are Subscribing To Them
By Saul Hansell
January 18, 2008,  7:15 pm

http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/01/18/youre-not-buying-gadgets-any-more-you-are-subscribing-to-them/?hp

For me, a subscription scheme is OK for computers, where a modest upgrade every few years is considered acceptable by the general public.  But for other gadgets, I prefer the older, more established tech. 

« Last Edit: Jan 21, 2008 at 11:08 AM by barrister »

Offline threadlock

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #1501 on: Jan 21, 2008 at 06:13 PM »
I believe that there should only be one winner from the two hi-def formats. If not, this war will repeat the history of SACD vs DVD-Audio where because there is no clear winner, both became very very pale and was not patronized in the mainstream market UNTIL NOW. Where there is no answer on which one format officially follows the CD. DVD-Audio and SACD media prices and players did not go down, consumer adoption was very very slow, resulting to FAILURE OF BOTH. It may also happen to Blu-ray and HD-DVD. Of course this is only my opinion.  :D
With too many options you could end up not choosing one

Offline barrister

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1502 on: Jan 24, 2008 at 10:36 AM »
Standalone player sales (PS3 and XBox 360 add-on excluded)  ---  pie charts from Digital Bits:

Before Warner's announcement:

After Warner's anouncement:

http://www.thedigitalbits.com/mytwocentsa149.html#npd
« Last Edit: Jan 24, 2008 at 10:40 AM by barrister »

Offline SirLaw11

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #1503 on: Jan 25, 2008 at 11:32 AM »
Sky Isn't Falling for HD-DVD, Blu-ray Isn't Champ Yet

NPD: Free Blu-ray player deals led to boosted sales this month

By Nate Mook, BetaNews

January 24, 2008, 2:46 PM

A report from NPD Group claimed Blu-ray standalone player sales accounted for 93 percent of the high-def market for the week ending January 12, but NPD itself won't stand behind the numbers, saying they were leaked and that weekly sales data is not a long-term indicator.

According to Stephen Baker, vice president of industry analysis for NPD, the data "came from an NPD subscriber" and "wasn't approved for release from NPD." He added that the firm typically sees big fluctuations in sales volumes each week, and never makes long-term judgements based on weekly data.

"It reflects what was going on during that week," Baker said, adding that it wasn't smart to "extrapolate that out for six months.

"So what went on the week ending January 12 that led to such high numbers in Blu-ray standalone player sales? Bundling deals with HDTVs, explained Baker. Sharp Blu-ray players accounted for over 30% of sales, as they were offered free to buyers of the company's LCD televisions.

Sony -- also accounting for one-third of sales -- had a similar $400-off deal for Blu-ray players when buying a Sony HDTV.

Panasonic, like Sharp, offered a free Blu-ray player and made up for the remaining third of units sold. Samsung Blu-ray sales were almost non-existent, as the company did not offer any special deals to TV buyers.

The NPD figures did not include Sony's PlayStation 3 or Microsoft's HD DVD add-on for the Xbox 360 -- only standalone players.

Baker wouldn't get specific -- since NPD normally never even comments on weekly sales data -- but said there was some drop in HD DVD player sales. For its part, the HD DVD Promotional Group told BetaNews the weekly sales data was from before the HD DVD player price drop Toshiba announced last week.

Baker did provide BetaNews some insight as to how NPD counts sales. It receives its data from point-of-sale systems from a number of retail outlets across the United States. He would not say how many retailers send data to NPD, but said it was "double digits."

NPD's numbers do not include online sales from the likes of Amazon, where Toshiba's HD-A3 HD DVD player is the number one seller in the DVD player category and number 14 in all of electronics. By contrast, standalone Blu-ray players do not make the electronics list.
« Last Edit: Jan 25, 2008 at 11:37 AM by SirLaw11 »
Format neutral

Offline Moks007

• Trade Count: (+51)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Bond, James Bond
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2405
« Reply #1504 on: Jan 25, 2008 at 03:35 PM »
Sky Isn't Falling for HD-DVD, Blu-ray Isn't Champ Yet

Haha..Its really funny na right now NPD comes out with standalone datas...On 2006 and 2007, I don't think they are really showing/comparing sales of standalones. I think its mostly hd disc sales..I may be wrong..It's funny so many bluboyz want HDDVD to die.
I think their favorite actor and movie is Tommy Lee Jones as twoface in the third batman, where he said "Why don't you (batman) just diiiiieeeeee"  ;D

Hmm its been awhile..Give me some BOGO on both formats..

Offline Munskie

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HighDef Enthusiast
  • Liked:
« Reply #1505 on: Jan 25, 2008 at 05:00 PM »
Haha..Its really funny na right now NPD comes out with standalone datas...On 2006 and 2007, I don't think they are really showing/comparing sales of standalones. I think its mostly hd disc sales..I may be wrong..It's funny so many bluboyz want HDDVD to die.
I think their favorite actor and movie is Tommy Lee Jones as twoface in the third batman, where he said "Why don't you (batman) just diiiiieeeeee"  ;D

Hmm its been awhile..Give me some BOGO on both formats..

where are the BOGOs now?   tsk tsk tsk....

Offline Mouldingo

• DVD Guru
  • Life's too short, don't waste it!!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1506 on: Jan 25, 2008 at 05:42 PM »
No matter what the news on those sales figures are, HD DVD will never recover from its current bind.

Offline darkwing

• DVD Addict
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1507 on: Jan 25, 2008 at 05:44 PM »
June 1 would be interesting

Offline pchin

• Trade Count: (+122)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • HD-Men
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #1508 on: Jan 25, 2008 at 05:58 PM »
June 1 would be interesting

It will be a doom's day for some & independance day for others  :)

Offline Quitacet

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 65
« Reply #1509 on: Jan 25, 2008 at 06:15 PM »
So its www.pinoyBD.com in the future! :D

Offline bachwitz

• DVD Addict
  • Musica delenit bestiam feram
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 35
« Reply #1510 on: Jan 29, 2008 at 12:45 PM »
desperate times calls for desperate measures

HD DVD buys Super Bowl ad

According to industry reports, the 30-second TV spot is expected to run Toshiba nearly $3 million.  It is a crucial move that Toshiba hopes will bring consumers to HD DVD instead of Blu-ray, which has a significant early lead in the format war.

http://www.tgdaily.com/content/view/35807/98/
« Last Edit: Jan 29, 2008 at 12:45 PM by bachwitz »

Offline chuck427

• DVD Guru
  • Bluray=103 PS3=12 DVD=139
  • Liked:
« Reply #1511 on: Jan 30, 2008 at 02:49 AM »

According to industry reports, the 30-second TV spot is expected to run Toshiba nearly $3 million.  It is a crucial move that Toshiba hopes will bring consumers to HD DVD instead of Blu-ray, which has a significant early lead in the format war.

is this probably a desperation move by HD?
Tosh46FHD,Denon1905,BDP1000,PS3,Wii,XBOX360,PhillipsUPDVD,Wharf

Offline choy

• Collector
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1512 on: Jan 30, 2008 at 05:18 AM »
but with AAA game titles coming out and a rumored price cut (possibly $299) the PS3 is poised to increase its sales this year and this will only help the BluRay cause even more.  i don't know how a superbowl ad can hope to counter that.

Offline pchin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HD-Men
  • Liked:
« Reply #1513 on: Jan 30, 2008 at 05:43 AM »
is this probably a desperation move by HD?

Probably also a pointless move....probably they forgot the retailers ain't at their side no more.
« Last Edit: Jan 30, 2008 at 05:43 AM by pchin »

Offline darkwing

• DVD Addict
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1514 on: Jan 30, 2008 at 07:27 AM »
remember all those Internet venture companies before who invested millions in SuperBowl Ads? pets.com = Toshiba's HD-DVD adventure

Offline JT

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • GOD RULES!!!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 13
« Reply #1515 on: Jan 30, 2008 at 10:31 AM »

Its a waste. I would rather use the $3m to secretly research & develop a hack for PS3 & other Blu-Rays to playback HD-DVD. Or for Toshiba players to playback blu-rays.

« Last Edit: Jan 30, 2008 at 10:42 AM by JT »

Offline juanbote

• Collector
  • sonic nirvana? only in my dreams
  • Liked:
« Reply #1516 on: Feb 01, 2008 at 02:41 PM »
Sony is also selling Blu-ray drives with two of its VAIO PCs, the VGN AR190G notebook and the VAIO VGC-RC310G. Perhaps the most interesting thing about these systems is that the drives can burn Blu-ray discs too.

Although it has a built-in HD DVD drive, the Toshiba Qosmio G35-AV650 ($2,999.99 direct) cannot record content onto HD DVDs. That and some issues with the video playback led us to be less than impressed with the system as a whole.

Which one would be the "Best Buy"? ???
PCCians, KB84-Accuphase E405, C200L and P300S, Richard Allan Dual Cone FR speakers.

Offline juanbote

• Collector
  • sonic nirvana? only in my dreams
  • Liked:
« Reply #1517 on: Feb 01, 2008 at 02:49 PM »
It looks like the end is near for the long-running battle between HD and Blu-ray. As Warner jumps ship and boards the Blu-ray bandwagon, the same could be said of consumers as the latest NDP report showed the huge difference between HD media player sales the week before and after the announcement. From a better-than-average 60 percent to a dominating 93 percent, Blu-ray seems to be headed towards the finish line, lording it over its rival HD DVD format.

Everyone's hopping on the Blu-ray bandwagon!
PCCians, KB84-Accuphase E405, C200L and P300S, Richard Allan Dual Cone FR speakers.

Offline Quitacet

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 65
« Reply #1518 on: Feb 01, 2008 at 07:01 PM »
Its a waste. I would rather use the $3m to secretly research & develop a hack for PS3 & other Blu-Rays to playback HD-DVD. Or for Toshiba players to playback blu-rays.

AMEN! :D

Offline juneaki

• Trade Count: (+69)
  • DVD Guru
  • Mangyan ng Mindoro
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 68
« Reply #1519 on: Feb 04, 2008 at 07:25 AM »
As long as there are giants who still support HD-DVD, like Amazon.com (not to mention giants Universal Studio and Paramount), HD-DVD will always be a pain in the neck of Bluray & Co.

http://www.dvdtown.com/news/amazoncom-we-will-continue-full-support-of-both-formats/5174

I salute Amazon.com for the respect they give their customers. It's really the consumers who should decide and not the studios.

Offline oReOsHaKe

• Trade Count: (+642)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #1520 on: Feb 04, 2008 at 09:18 AM »
As long as there are giants who still support HD-DVD, like Amazon.com (not to mention giants Universal Studio and Paramount), HD-DVD will always be a pain in the neck of Bluray & Co.

http://www.dvdtown.com/news/amazoncom-we-will-continue-full-support-of-both-formats/5174

I salute Amazon.com for the respect they give their customers. It's really the consumers who should decide and not the studios.

I think the consumers have decided.  Majority has been buying Blu-ray rather than HD DVD and this is the main reason why Warner has shifted exclusively to Blu-ray.  It's just a matter of time when Universal and Paramount will also turn Blu-ray exclusive when their contract with HD DVD expires. 
DALI OPTICON 8 : Zensor : Polk Audio F/XiA4 : ONKYO 5010 : OPPO BDP-103 : Panny AE8000 : Dual PB1000

Offline pchin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HD-Men
  • Liked:
« Reply #1521 on: Feb 04, 2008 at 09:24 AM »
It's really the consumers who should decide and not the studios.

I'm afraid majority of the consumers have decided na... :)
« Last Edit: Feb 04, 2008 at 10:46 AM by pchin »

Offline Clondalkin

• Trade Count: (+46)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Tea the gift of life...
  • Liked:
« Reply #1522 on: Feb 04, 2008 at 10:13 AM »
I'm afraid some people are spending more time worrying about this matter on a daily basis instead of actually watching hi-def movies.   ;D

I'm afraid the BD staunch supporters are much more concerned about the "immediate" future of HD DVD than HD DVD owners themselves.  ;D ;D

I'm afraid that by 2009, BD supporters may still be wondering when HD DVD will finally become extinct...and probably still waiting for Transformers, Bourne Trilogy,  Jack Ryan Series, Heroes etc, in BD, not to mention Matrix with BD-J powered interactive contents???.   ;D ;D ;D

I'm afraid this discussion is becoming boring, not to mention the lack of marketplace.   ;D ;D ;D

I'm afraid I might get banned from this site.   ;D ;D ;D

Isang makabuluhang araw sa inyong lahat.  Please watch a good movie (after you work).
« Last Edit: Feb 04, 2008 at 10:15 AM by Clondalkin »

Offline Munskie

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HighDef Enthusiast
  • Liked:
« Reply #1523 on: Feb 04, 2008 at 10:34 AM »
I'm afraid some people are spending more time worrying about this matter on a daily basis instead of actually watching hi-def movies.   ;D

I'm afraid the BD staunch supporters are much more concerned about the "immediate" future of HD DVD than HD DVD owners themselves.  ;D ;D

I'm afraid that by 2009, BD supporters may still be wondering when HD DVD will finally become extinct...and probably still waiting for Transformers, Bourne Trilogy,  Jack Ryan Series, Heroes etc, in BD, not to mention Matrix with BD-J powered interactive contents???.   ;D ;D ;D

I'm afraid this discussion is becoming boring, not to mention the lack of marketplace.   ;D ;D ;D

I'm afraid I might get banned from this site.   ;D ;D ;D

Isang makabuluhang araw sa inyong lahat.  Please watch a good movie (after you work).
hehehehe.........I totally agree bro...... BD supporters probably  would gladly apply to do a Jack Kevorkian to HD DVD.....  ;D ;D ;D
« Last Edit: Feb 04, 2008 at 10:43 AM by Munskie »

Offline Clondalkin

• Trade Count: (+46)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Tea the gift of life...
  • Liked:
« Reply #1524 on: Feb 04, 2008 at 11:30 AM »
I had this thought during the weekend.  If MS had spared 2B of the 44B it offers to Yahoo to buy-out all BD studios, then the rest would have been plain algebra.    :)   They could even keep the 44B for Yahoo and spare 5B for HD DVD out of their 300B cash hoard.   But MS dont really care about discs.
« Last Edit: Feb 04, 2008 at 11:57 AM by Clondalkin »

Offline darkwing

• DVD Addict
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1525 on: Feb 04, 2008 at 11:44 AM »
I'm afraid June 1 can't come too soon

and oh this is just for the US market, much higher pa sa iba hehehe

« Last Edit: Feb 04, 2008 at 11:50 AM by darkwing »

Offline bachwitz

• DVD Addict
  • Musica delenit bestiam feram
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 35
« Reply #1526 on: Feb 04, 2008 at 12:22 PM »

a marketing strategy

Universal Half Price HD DVD Sale at Amazon

In just a couple hours, the Superbowl will kickoff in Glendale, Arizona. With it, viewers of the big game will have the opportunity to view a rather expensive HD DVD commercial some critics view as a last attempt to save the fledging high-def format.

Coincidentally, Amazon.com has kicked off an all-new HD DVD promotion today. Prices on 103 Universal HD DVD titles have been cut in half from their list price, most down to just under $15.

http://www.themanroom.com/news/Universal_Half_Price_HD_DVD_Sale_at_Amazon/2118

http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html?ie=UTF8&plgroup=1&docId=1000195491&plpage=1

Offline barrister

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1527 on: Feb 05, 2008 at 01:36 AM »

Where is my HD-DVD Superbowl Commercial?
Monday, Feb 4th 2008 by Daniel Lim

http://www.slashgear.com/where-is-my-hd-dvd-superbowl-commercial-0410067.php

« Last Edit: Feb 05, 2008 at 01:40 AM by barrister »

Offline darkwing

• DVD Addict
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1528 on: Feb 05, 2008 at 03:57 AM »
it wasn't even in HD  :D $2.7m heh