Author Topic: The War Begins...  (Read 106448 times)

Offline Munskie

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • HighDef Enthusiast
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: The War Begins...
« Reply #30 on: Apr 19, 2006 at 09:23 AM »
Yah, its really sad that we still don't know when we'll have access to that hd player.  I just have to console myself that wala pa gaano titles and the most essential thing:  wala pa dough/budget.  Congrats again sir aldrin on your new toy.  we'll be expecting reviews, comments and pics on your new player.   ;D ;D

Offline pchin

• Trade Count: (+122)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • HD-Men
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #31 on: Apr 19, 2006 at 10:21 AM »
Yes yes! Plenty of pics pls!!  :D

Offline baby

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • DVD Guru
  • who are you calling a llama???
  • Liked:
« Reply #32 on: Apr 19, 2006 at 05:48 PM »
Your lucky Brod aldrin.  I hope they have plenty of stocks.  All of the Players are sold out at all best buy stores.  And more are still waiting for their unit.  I hope it arrives here on our shoes so we can look at it personally and maybe get one.  But the problem is how can I view it.  I still don't have HDTV  :'( ;D

Offline pchin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HD-Men
  • Liked:
« Reply #33 on: Apr 19, 2006 at 05:58 PM »
But the problem is how can I view it.  I still don't have HDTV  :'( ;D
No problem at all James....I have the solution. You are always welcome to try it out at my home. LOL  ;D 
« Last Edit: Apr 19, 2006 at 05:59 PM by pchin »

Offline baby

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #34 on: Apr 19, 2006 at 06:15 PM »
No problem at all James....I have the solution. You are always welcome to try it out at my home. LOL  ;D 
haha.  .   :)  I wan't to see serenity or last samurai in true 1080p. :)

Offline Munskie

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HighDef Enthusiast
  • Liked:
« Reply #35 on: Apr 19, 2006 at 07:39 PM »
we'll be lucky if we get to see something locally by june... ;D ;D

Offline aldrinpsx

• Trade Count: (0)
  • DVD Guru
  • Region 1 fanatic!!!!!!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #36 on: Apr 19, 2006 at 07:46 PM »
Lucky for me... its currently sold out and no idea when the next batch will be..this gives me an idea..hmmmmmmmm... will i keep it or sell it to ebay for profit. ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

peace!!!!

Offline pchin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HD-Men
  • Liked:
« Reply #37 on: Apr 20, 2006 at 12:21 AM »
we'll be lucky if we get to see something locally by june... ;D ;D

Probably some relatives from USA may bring back those HD DVD players into the Philippines  ;D

Offline aldrinpsx

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #38 on: Apr 20, 2006 at 02:11 AM »
HD DVD players selling out in major cities

April 18, 2006 4:47 PM PDT

Those eager to get their hands on the first ever HD DVD players in the United States cleared shelves quickly at Best Buy stores in San Francisco, Los Angeles and New York.

An employee at the Best Buy store in Midtown Manhattan said Tuesday that all 10 Toshiba HD DVD players were sold out on Monday, the day before the players' official launch.

Customers also bought up all the HD DVD movie titles, the employee said.

The Best Buy store in San Francisco sold out of six Toshiba HD-A1 models, which retails for $499, according to a store clerk. Best Buy's branch in Northridge, Calif., about 25 miles north of Los Angeles, also reported that it quickly ran out of the handful of HD DVD players it received.

HD DVD and Blu-ray are competing technologies vying to replace the DVD format. Both sides are represented by movie studios, electronics makers and software companies. At stake is the $24 billion home-video market.

Toshiba is the first company to actually present a player on one of the formats to the public. In addition to the HD-A1, Toshiba also sells the $800 HD-XA1.

Several publications have reported that the number of units made available in the U.S. is around 10,000, a relatively small roll out.

"We don't share the exact the number that we shipped," said Jodi Sally, Toshiba's vice president of marketing. "I can tell you that we're going to be in about 3,000 stores nationwide and we're continuing to ship the devices. We're shipping just as fast as we can."

source:cnet news

Samsung Delays Blu-ray Disc Player

Samsung Electronics will delay the U.S. launch of its Blu-ray Disc player by one month, the company said Monday.

The delay has been called to allow completion of compatibility testing with Blu-ray Disc test media that is due available in April, Samsung said in a statement. Once compatibility is confirmed the player will be ready for mass production, it said.

The new launch date has been set for June 25 and Samsung confirmed the player price at $999.

The player was due to launch on May 23, the same day that Sony Pictures Home Entertainment and Lionsgate Films had chosen as the release date for their first Blu-ray Disc movies.

Sony Pictures said it remains committed to a May 23 launch date for its first titles despite the likely lack of any playback hardware. Lionsgate could not immediately comment on whether its launch plans remain in place.

Competing Formats

Blu-ray Disc is one of two new optical disc formats vying to replace current DVDs for high-definition content, such as movies. The format battle has pitted industry giants against each other. The main backers of Blu-ray Disc include Sony, Panasonic, and Samsung while companies supporting the rival HD-DVD format include Toshiba, NEC, and Intel.

News of the Blu-ray Disc player delay comes days after the rival HD-DVD format was commercially launched.

source:yahoo news

One reason firms are being cautious is that HD-DVD and Blu-ray are incompatible formats. You can’t watch HD-DVD movies using a Blu-ray player, and vice versa, and anyone who ends up investing in the losing format will be stuck with obsolete technology.

As a result, many consumers could sit on their wallets until a clear winner emerges.

peace!!!
« Last Edit: Apr 20, 2006 at 02:25 AM by aldrinpsx »

Offline Munskie

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HighDef Enthusiast
  • Liked:
« Reply #39 on: Apr 20, 2006 at 07:54 AM »
Probably some relatives from USA may bring back those HD DVD players into the Philippines  ;D
sending it through freight would be costly....ship weight is 25 lbs and have you seen the box?  its kinda huge.  Yeah, you're right, probably some considerate relatives can bring that home...itago na lang sa customs... ;D ;D

Offline baby

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #40 on: Apr 20, 2006 at 08:00 AM »
sending it through freight would be costly....ship weight is 25 lbs and have you seen the box?  its kinda huge.  Yeah, you're right, probably some considerate relatives can bring that home...itago na lang sa customs... ;D ;D
send it via royal logistics.  :)

Offline pchin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HD-Men
  • Liked:
« Reply #41 on: Apr 20, 2006 at 08:17 AM »
Wow HD DVD is selling like hot cake...obviously due to the advantage of an early launch & cheaper unit price than Blu-ray. :) Another 1 more month delay...what a bumer.  :-[

Yeah many consumers would indeed sit on their wallets until a clear winner emerges but waiting patiently is the hardest!  ;D

« Last Edit: Apr 20, 2006 at 08:17 AM by pchin »

Offline Munskie

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HighDef Enthusiast
  • Liked:
« Reply #42 on: Apr 20, 2006 at 08:34 AM »
that means more time to set aside a budget.... ;D ;D

Offline slowhand

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #43 on: Apr 20, 2006 at 09:02 AM »
As expected, early reviews of the HD-DVD discs are spotty. Apparently some look really good (King Kong) while some look both good and bad (Batman Begins) and some look bad (The Last Samurai).

Offline pchin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HD-Men
  • Liked:
« Reply #44 on: Apr 20, 2006 at 09:07 AM »
It would be a safer bet to go for new & latest movies to minimize the risk. :)

The other sure option would be reading all the HD DVD movie reviews. :)

Offline Munskie

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HighDef Enthusiast
  • Liked:
« Reply #45 on: Apr 20, 2006 at 09:41 AM »
based on some reviews in avsforum...the determination whether its a wise investment or not depends on the user, some have commented a night and day difference, some have said slight but noticeable improvement in PQ (especially those who had experienced HD before).  Some have also stated that you have to view it in bigger screens to see high definition in its full glory.  The toshiba also has issues...slow loading times, dolby digital reflects DTS on the amp when connected thru coaxial or optical digital (but sounds great nevertheless, experienced on warner titles), the remote sucks.  Some have commented on the PQ but they viewed it in a display that is not HD ready, soliciting some feedback from other users.  to see reviews on the initial three titles:The Last Samurai, Phantom of the Opera, Serenity

http://hddvd.highdefdigest.com/lastsamurai.html
http://hddvd.highdefdigest.com/phantomoftheopera2004.html
http://hddvd.highdefdigest.com/serenity.html

and the CNet review of the Toshiba HD-A1 hd-dvd player
http://reviews.cnet.com/Toshiba_HD_A1/4505-6463_7-31736203.html

Offline pchin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HD-Men
  • Liked:
Review: Toshiba HD-XA1 HD-DVD player
« Reply #46 on: Apr 20, 2006 at 01:20 PM »
My overwhelming impression of the HD-XA1 has been of slowness, and this is mainly down to the start-up. It takes about 35 seconds for the Toshiba HD-DVD logo to appear on-screen after hitting the on button, and the Welcome message remains on the player's display until 55 seconds after launch. A further 10 seconds elapse -- meaning 65 seconds in all -- before the first images from the disc appear on the screen.

Full article: http://www.digitmag.co.uk/news/index.cfm?NewsID=5685

Offline aldrinpsx

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #47 on: Apr 21, 2006 at 05:43 AM »

Monitor is Sony Wega 42' LCD TV 720p/1080i resolution.Downscaling of HD-DVDs to 720p is terrible. Only 1080i output should be used.

pros:
video quality
much better sound quality, even on SD-DVD and music CDs.
nice quality player and nice-looking remote
usb ports
1 HDMI cable is included
easy to setup
nice interface

cons:
$500 may be steep
no 1080p (my monitor is 1080i)
takes over 1 minute to get to the DVD Menu to play the movie
there seems to be a lag after you hit a button the remote
the directional arrows on the remote just flat out suck
limited support, limited software, high priced software (The last samurai was $24.99)

Im  gonna hold on this for a while...decide if im gonna keep it or toss it. ;D.anyway its only a month for the release of blu ray.

peace!!!
« Last Edit: Apr 21, 2006 at 08:42 AM by aldrinpsx »

Offline pchin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HD-Men
  • Liked:
« Reply #48 on: Apr 21, 2006 at 06:06 AM »
Finally you received your new hi-tech toy aldrinpsx!  :D Tnx for sharing the pics....wow!  :D Glad to hear that HDMI cable is even included.

Sad to hear it'll take over 1 minute just to get in to the DVD Menu to play the movie. Even as for our current DVD menu...I'm already running out of patient...overall the size is a bit bulky tho.  :-[ Oh well, with all the pros, we shouldn't keep counting the cons hehe.  ;D

Bro, do verify your local Blu-ray schedule as there's a report that Samsung delays again its first BD player launch until late June....unless there's another manufacturer will beat Samsung to the BD launch, your 30-day period will expire.  :-\
« Last Edit: Apr 21, 2006 at 06:09 AM by pchin »

Offline Munskie

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HighDef Enthusiast
  • Liked:
« Reply #49 on: Apr 21, 2006 at 07:09 AM »
congrats on your new player aldrin!! ;D ;D Yeah, loading time is slow on the player and theres lag sa function ng remote, but im sure you'll still enjoy the fact that theres better PQ and lossless audio(thats what DD+ and DTS-HD says).....just cant wait to see HD here....enjoy your gear aldrin, congrats again.. ;D

Offline aldrinpsx

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #50 on: Apr 21, 2006 at 08:37 AM »
Thanks for all the praises...

I am guessing even though there will be more BluRay titles i will be interested in at/near launch, the $1000 price tag will keep me away for a while. The more I look at it, the PS3 will probably be my first Blu-ray player.

start saving and WAY too much stuff to consider, this is all driving me nuts! ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline baby

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #51 on: Apr 21, 2006 at 08:49 AM »
So the player only cost $399.  The HDMI cable is $100. ;D

Offline pchin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HD-Men
  • Liked:
« Reply #52 on: Apr 21, 2006 at 08:52 AM »
That's a good & positive way to put it baby...  :D

Offline baby

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #53 on: Apr 21, 2006 at 08:59 AM »
well What are waiting for.  Request for a player that doesn't include HDMI cable for $399 and get a china made cable for less the price. ;D

Offline Munskie

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HighDef Enthusiast
  • Liked:
« Reply #54 on: Apr 21, 2006 at 10:00 AM »
Thanks for all the praises...

I am guessing even though there will be more BluRay titles i will be interested in at/near launch, the $1000 price tag will keep me away for a while. The more I look at it, the PS3 will probably be my first Blu-ray player.

start saving and WAY too much stuff to consider, this is all driving me nuts! ;D ;D ;D ;D

yeah....the ps3 to me comes with a good WAF (wife acceptance factor).....i guess its gonna be my first blu ray player too....just cant wait.. ;D ;D

Offline aldrinpsx

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #55 on: Apr 21, 2006 at 10:30 AM »
Don't know if this HD DVD  format will survive, but im definitely going to enjoy the ride. ;D ;D

peace!!!

Offline pchin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HD-Men
  • Liked:
« Reply #56 on: Apr 21, 2006 at 07:58 PM »
Don't worry too much bro...right now you're the owner of the CooLest  8) gadget on earth!  :D

Offline Munskie

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HighDef Enthusiast
  • Liked:
« Reply #57 on: Apr 21, 2006 at 10:05 PM »
they could co exist you know......look at the game consoles...  ;D ;D

Offline aldrinpsx

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #58 on: Apr 23, 2006 at 09:27 PM »
Video of one being dismantled. ;D

http://hdvforever.com/blog/HDDVD.wmv   .... you wont believe whats inside..(maybe thats the reason it take some time to load) ;D ;D

peace!!!
« Last Edit: Apr 23, 2006 at 09:32 PM by aldrinpsx »

Offline hemisphere

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • On the Lot!
  • Liked:
« Reply #59 on: Apr 23, 2006 at 09:39 PM »
can you confirm countries included in region 1 category? and would the player have Region code emblem on the set?

8)