Author Topic: BASS speaker placement?  (Read 1350 times)

Offline Baluts

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
BASS speaker placement?
« on: Jun 13, 2006 at 04:40 PM »
hey guys one big question sa placement ng sub  ko. k lang ba na itago ko sya sa cabinet  o nakaexposed sya sa labas. im designing my tv rack at buong pader ay may cabinets. k lang ba na nakatago sya sa kabinet or allot ako ng blank space para kita ung subs.  :)

Offline av_phile1

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Cheers from a movie and music lover
  • Liked:
Re: BASS speaker placement?
« Reply #1 on: Jun 13, 2006 at 04:47 PM »
I think it's not so much whether the sub is exposed or not, but whether the location will yield better bass for your room without unecessarily rattling its surroundings .  I would imagine enclosing a sub in a cabinet will waste some of its power to rattling your cabinet walls and inducing unwanted cabinet resonances that will interfere with your sub's sonic delivery. 
« Last Edit: Jun 13, 2006 at 04:51 PM by av_phile1 »

Offline ATJr.

• Trade Count: (+45)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Leach Amp fan!
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: Jun 23, 2006 at 10:25 AM »
low frequency sounds coming out of your subwoofer are non directional so placement is not really that critical.
That's OK, you can like or dislike anything you choose. That's the wonderful thing about the freedom

Offline av_phile1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: Jun 23, 2006 at 03:50 PM »
Room mode excitation will vary depending on subwoofer placement relative to your listening position. Also the number of subwoofers used can  lessen  room modes for a smoother/flatter room bass freqeuncy response.
« Last Edit: Jun 23, 2006 at 03:53 PM by av_phile1 »

Offline alvinthx2

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • DVD Addict
  • System= source+amplification+speaker+ROOM
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: Aug 29, 2006 at 09:38 AM »
The subwoofer is actually the hardest speaker to place in a multi-channel setup relative to your sweet spot. It is affected by the room modes. There are places in the room where these modes are augmented and in some places cancelled. Just try to walk around when a low frequency signal is outputted via subwoofer. The use of your phase control is very important also because, depending on the room, the crossover between your main speakers and the subwoofer might be affected by your subwoofer's placement. Quality subs offer a stepless variable phase control to dial in the best setting. To do this, you have to have a signal generator with the crossovers freqency and let somebody rotate the phase control until you have the loudness perceive output from where you are sitting. A SPL meter will help you a lot
STORMAUDIORevel,BAT,VPI,Accuphase,Bryston,Lumagen,Esoteric,PMC,AR,ROON,PURIFI,BENCHMARK,JBL

Offline arthurallanj

• DVD Guru
  • Good Begets Good
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: Aug 29, 2006 at 09:52 AM »
You should also take into consideration that subwoofers move a lot of air, hence, let it breathe. That's why I would not suggest enclosing the sub in anyway. But that's just me.  :)
Making the most of what I've got

Offline alvinthx2

• DVD Addict
  • System= source+amplification+speaker+ROOM
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: Aug 29, 2006 at 10:41 AM »
if ever you enclose the subwoofer, the sides, top and the back wall should have covered fiberglass material to act as a damper for your cabinet.
STORMAUDIORevel,BAT,VPI,Accuphase,Bryston,Lumagen,Esoteric,PMC,AR,ROON,PURIFI,BENCHMARK,JBL

Offline frootloops

• Kagawad
  • Trade Count: (+252)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 19
« Reply #7 on: Oct 11, 2006 at 12:51 AM »
Mga Sir's, pasingit lang...

if I put a foam at the back of the sub, meaning sticked to the wall, will it create better bass sound? Kasi may back wall is plywood with Cork Board (similar to ones used in office ceilings,parang asbestos), underneath it, that includes my ceiling as well, and my side walls are cement. Will it produce anything significant??

TIA

Offline av_phile1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: Oct 11, 2006 at 10:34 AM »
Bass frequencies cannot be enhanced or absorbed by foam or any accoustic frequency absorbing materials which are only good at reducing first reflections of mids to highs.  OTH, concrete walls and marble floors are excellent reinforcing materials for a more powerful bass.
« Last Edit: Oct 11, 2006 at 10:39 AM by av_phile1 »

Offline newbie pa rin

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • DVD Addict
  • Hi, newbie here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: Oct 11, 2006 at 11:44 AM »
Guys I have a question which might be related to sub placement.

When theres a lot of LFE's in the movie am watching like X-Men I hear some distorted noise in my ceiling left back from my sweet spot.
How can I avoid that? Can sub placement or sub x-over remedy that?
Where there is no vision, the people perish

Offline av_phile1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: Oct 12, 2006 at 11:06 AM »
Apparently there's some room mode excitation that's rattling your ceilings. There may be something loose with the ceiling structure.  You could relocate the sub so the standing waves hopefully change orientation.  Changing the x-over setting might help if there's frequency peaking at that point.

Offline jerix

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • got no golden ears...just loving music
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 70
« Reply #11 on: Oct 13, 2006 at 08:23 AM »
Moving the sub here and there really brings a lot of hassle. With the weight of my 15" fiberglass coated sub it took me hours to find the right spot but then, that good spot for the sub conflicted with existing arrangement of things in the house so I had to reposition it again in accordance with furniture placement  ::)
Samsung65MU6303/TCL4kPS49TV/OnkSR608/OnkTXNR676/Marantz/Akai/Sansui/PrjEssential-II

Offline newbie pa rin

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • DVD Addict
  • Hi, newbie here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: Oct 13, 2006 at 09:12 AM »
The problem Im encountering right now is that the electrical outlet is in the left side only.
I would love to try placing in on the right side sana.

Its true its hard to move the sub im just using a 10" sub what more kung 15" sya.
Especially kung carpeted iyung buong floor ang hirap itulak.
Where there is no vision, the people perish

Offline av_phile1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: Oct 13, 2006 at 11:14 AM »
No need to bring the sub to the other side of the room if the room is symmetric.  The room modes produced would be identical to the other side.  Just experiment on  the placement along the wall up to the adjacent wall.  Position it in so that its location is not on exact fractions of the wall length so to prevent symmetric standing waves from cancelling and peaking at certain frequencies and harmonics. 
« Last Edit: Oct 13, 2006 at 11:16 AM by av_phile1 »