Author Topic: C-Interactive Releases: How many do you own/comments?  (Read 33231 times)

Offline rafgar

• Trade Count: (0)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: January 2006: New DVD Titles Already in Stores
« Reply #90 on: Jan 23, 2006 at 06:57 AM »

But here is the execrable fact: whenever a film is manufactured by Viva, the original DVD image resolution always comes out degraded or bit-rate inferior.

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but I think I've read it somewhere in one of the threads here that Viva does not actually manufacture the discs of major releases of Disney and the other major US studios.  Just like Warner, Viva's major releases are imported.  Thus, discs released locally are basically the sames are the ones released in the region.  The DVDs are packaged here, so the cover (which is usually inferior than the R1 release) is printed locally.

::)

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 20
Re: alice go rant
« Reply #91 on: Jan 23, 2006 at 11:16 AM »
DEAR MR. HANKEY: To cite, much less recommend, ANY ONE C-INTERACTIVE's execrable excuse for DVDs in this site is insulting to PinoyDVD's members.

I have never recommended a single C-Interactive title on these forums. As the moderator of the R3 section, my function here is to inform people of what titles have been released and by which company. In fact, whenever I list a C-Interactive title, I label it as such, usually with a bold, red "Warning" or "Note" included. I even purchased one of their earlier releases, The Notebook, purely to do a review of just how bad the title was.

rafgar is correct. VIVA's FOX and Disney releases are full imports with picture quality comparable to their R1 versions. In fact, in the case of FOX, the R3 release is usually superior to the R1 released on the same date - the trend in the States has become to release a single disc edition first, and a 2-disc version several months later. Such was the case with I, Robot and The Day After Tomorrow. In the Philippines, we got the two disc versions of these titles from the outset. Viva's inferior quality titles are usually those released by the smaller film companies. Their MGM titles were also compressed. Fortunately, MGM has since been purchased by Sony Pictures Entertainment, so future releases will probably no longer be with Viva.

As for aesha's comment, the 299 Sony Pictures Entertainment releases are their locally-produced "budget" versions. You will usually find high-quality versions of the same titles being sold for anywhere from 375-750 pesos. These 299 discs are of slightly better quality than the C-Interactive titles, since although compressed, they usually delete numerous special features - freeing up more space on the disc to improve picture quality of the main feature.
« Last Edit: Jan 24, 2006 at 12:04 AM by Mr. Hankey »
Mr. Hankey the Christmas Poo... He loves me, I love you...

Offline viperkid

• Collector
  • Liked:
Re: C-Interactive's 299 DVDs
« Reply #92 on: Jan 23, 2006 at 02:00 PM »
Let's write them a petition. To Stop them from "RAPING" these good movie.

Offline munky

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • DVD Addict
  • who's who?
  • Liked:
Re: C-Interactive's 299 DVDs
« Reply #93 on: Jan 23, 2006 at 07:03 PM »
ORIGINAL DVD WITH FULL FEATURES.... yun bang mga features nila are same as R1 (or other R3) release?
Still world peace

Offline Hot Mama

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Collector
  • I Love My Hot Mama!!!
  • Liked:
C-interactive is at it again!!!
« Reply #94 on: May 11, 2006 at 02:10 PM »
I saw P299 dvds at astro SM Manila. Though i knew original dvds can go as low at that price, i was quite surprised (in a real bad way... nakakainis) to see that it is 4:3 full screen version. I wanted to get Underworld kasi... but it was full screen so i declined... in favor of Hellboy... when i looked full screen rin... just to finally figure out there is a whole range of dvds in full screen format... kainis lalo... then i saw C-interactive logo. then i said to myself... kaya pala.

What is it with dvds in 4:3? sana VCD na lang. I prefer the 16:9 widescreen format which preserves the theater aspect ratio.

Offline Quitacet

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 65
Re: C-interactive is at it again!!!
« Reply #95 on: May 11, 2006 at 02:40 PM »
I saw P299 dvds at astro SM Manila. Though i knew original dvds can go as low at that price, i was quite surprised (in a real bad way... nakakainis) to see that it is 4:3 full screen version. I wanted to get Underworld kasi... but it was full screen so i declined... in favor of Hellboy... when i looked full screen rin... just to finally figure out there is a whole range of dvds in full screen format... kainis lalo... then i saw C-interactive logo. then i said to myself... kaya pala.

What is it with dvds in 4:3? sana VCD na lang. I prefer the 16:9 widescreen format which preserves the theater aspect ratio.

Unfortunately, I think, many Pinoy still prefers the 4:3 (Fullscreen) aspect ratio of movies. Some people I know think that WS version is a cropped version of the FS. They think they are not seeing everything in WS being familiar with TV broadcast.

Maybe C-Interactive targets them thus the 4:3 releases.

Offline wrathboo21

• Collector
  • howdy!
  • Liked:
« Reply #96 on: May 11, 2006 at 09:34 PM »
I wanted to get Underworld kasi... but it was full screen so i declined... in favor of Hellboy... when i looked full screen rin... just to finally figure out there is a whole range of dvds in full screen format... kainis lalo... then i saw C-interactive logo. then i said to myself... kaya pala.

are you pertaining to the magna budget release of Hellboy? i believe its in WS format..
here come the little things...

Offline techdude

• Trade Count: (+24)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Spinning...
  • Liked:
« Reply #97 on: May 11, 2006 at 10:00 PM »
That's part of the problem... few people really know that Widescreen was the way the director envisioned the film to be, and that the fullscreen version misses out on as much as 45% of the full picture.  But being smaller on a normal TV, most people think it is the other way around... and the distributor didn't do anything to eductae the viewing public...

For me, I passes on all fullscreen DVDs even if my Television is the normal 4:3 variety.  Just future-proofing my collection for the time when 16:9 become affordable...at least until HD-DVD or Blu-ray comes around...

They really should sell fullscreen at a discount and widescreen at regular price...  Fullscreen is just a clearer VCD, so not that much special...

Hope more people know, that Widescreen DVD can be fullscreen by just magnifying the image (loss of quality but not that on properly encoded DVDs)...
« Last Edit: May 11, 2006 at 10:01 PM by techdude »
Blessed are the clean of heart: for they shall see God.

Offline av_phile1

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Cheers from a movie and music lover
  • Liked:
Re: C-Interactive: The video to "C"???
« Reply #98 on: May 12, 2006 at 12:25 PM »
Comforting to note there are others who pass up full screen DVDs.  WS or FS is often the first thing I look at when DVD shopping.  I passed-up Aviator and Stuart Little because of this. 

But it's interesting to note that C-interactive's Resident Evil Apocalypse has both WS and FS versions on the same disc.

Lately, when transposing from DVD to MPEG4 for mobile toys, full screen DVDs can be an advantage.  But you can always crop a widescreen into fullscreen, not necessarily the reverse. 

Offline techdude

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Spinning...
  • Liked:
« Reply #99 on: May 12, 2006 at 10:12 PM »
But it's interesting to note that C-interactive's Resident Evil Apocalypse has both WS and FS versions on the same disc.

But unless, the disc is double sided, that would compromise the picture quality even more, since you are squeezing theoretically a 4-hour movie (2 version of a 2-hour movie) into a single DVD5...

Offline viperkid

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #100 on: May 14, 2006 at 03:22 PM »
Please sign this:http://www.petitionspot.com/petitions/c-interactive

Offline techdude

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Spinning...
  • Liked:
« Reply #101 on: Jun 03, 2006 at 08:50 PM »
Whatever happened to"C?"  Lately, they keep releasing new VCD but no DVD.  Oliver Twist, Ladies In Lavender, Yao, etc.  VCD but no DVD...  they quit the DVD market?  Or are they finally taking their time to make their discs better...   I can hope can I. ;D

Offline X-®an™

• DVD Guru
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #102 on: Jun 08, 2006 at 07:04 PM »
Please sign this:http://www.petitionspot.com/petitions/c-interactive

I've just signed.  ;)

Here's a clickable link: Petition C-Interactive!

Offline ranran

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • DVD Guru
  • SOUL PATROL!
  • Liked:
How many 'C-Interactive' titles do you own? - any remarks?
« Reply #103 on: Sep 29, 2006 at 08:29 PM »
hi fellow members, after purchasing my first C-Interactive DVD (The Wedding Crashers) this morning, i was inspired to ask fellow members out there this question...What or how many C-Interactive DVDs do you own? and what can you comment or remark about them?

i've always been very wary of C-Interactive releases because of their notoriously packaged titles etc. but i'm actually impressed and satisfied after getting "The Wedding Crashers".  with all the features and featurettes included and the dual versions (Uncorked / Theatrical) featured this title has proven to be an excellent deal at only P299 retail (which went for P250 at the Astro-Podium sale - and which i got at P237.50 due to cash purchase)  :D

hope to hear from the rest of you guys.  ;)

*PS mods: i thought this topic was different in nature to the existing C-Interactive thread so i started this one.

Offline RNIverson

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • SteelBooker ™
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Re: How many 'C-Interactive' titles do you own? - any remarks?
« Reply #104 on: Sep 29, 2006 at 09:47 PM »
my first (and maybe last) c-interactive, a walk to remember for 200 or 299, cant really remember.

what i dont like
- cover paper of the amaray case
- i think the only special feature is cry music video
- bad subtitles. there were some misspelled i think
for those who own this copy please correct me if i'm wrong

sorry, cant provide much info sir. ever since that purchase i don't bother looking for c-interactive titles anymore, even on sale. but for titles like wedding crashers, maybe i'll consider due to budget constraint  ;D  you have a quite good review of it kaya pasado na  ;)
« Last Edit: Sep 29, 2006 at 09:53 PM by RNIverson »

Offline techdude

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Spinning...
  • Liked:
« Reply #105 on: Sep 29, 2006 at 11:45 PM »
Lately most C Interactive titles are quite good.. features wise, they are near identical to R1 version. 

They are all DVD5, so somewhere, something must suffer...what I don't know....

My guess is Bitrate should suffer, but not much on my old fashioned 4x3 21" TV.  I would like to hear comments from those with 16x9 32" or higher widescreen TVs.  Maybe someone with a C Interactive action flick can chime in, those explosion and high-speed scenes tend to suffer most from low-bitrates...

Some titles are FULLSCREEN, so be wary of those, as you are missing as much as 40% of the picture.  They are however indicated on the cover.

I really like C Interactive packaging with the full detail bar on the back.  Some older titles like the aforementioned 'A walk to remeber' have awful packaging but that's an early C Interactive title, growing pains perhaps...

Since the features are identical now to R1, I don't notice mispellings in subtitles on recent DVDs.

The old C Interactive thread before is full of posts about titles which runs fine on first view, and then become problematic on subsequent viewings (Which I don't understand why, DVD is digital, so it should not deteriorate with multiple viewing unless it's DVD Rot or something similar).  There are also reports of  skipping on certain players even out of the box. 

I never experience those, but the reports seems too numerous to ignore.  Maybe C Interactive and their DVD manufacturer have improved on their  discs or that my player (Samsung, which is quite new) just correct whatever flaw it encountered on-the-fly.

I own and viewed the following C Interactive titles:

The Notebook
Wedding Crashers
Phantom of the Opera
A Walk to Remember
Love Actually
LOTR-TFOTR
LOTR-TTT
Million Dollar Baby (Fullscreen)

Own but not viewed:
Cellular
« Last Edit: Oct 03, 2006 at 01:20 PM by techdude »

Offline uebetan12

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #106 on: Oct 01, 2006 at 12:31 PM »
gumanda na ng konte ang mga labas ng c-interactive......di na katulad ng dati..........

improving na.................keep up the good work.........kung dvd5 pa rin sila....it's time to inform them that it's now time to switch to dvd9 na para lalong ma patronize ang products nila

Offline geckoph

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #107 on: Oct 01, 2006 at 04:43 PM »
isa lang...Honey...

Offline watson's box

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #108 on: Oct 01, 2006 at 11:33 PM »
mine is skycaptain, got it for 199, seems ok because it has lots of features. Bought it cause i cant find any other version of it though i really try to avoid c interactive dvds.

Offline DVD_Freak

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Life is a Blessing
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 12
« Reply #109 on: Oct 01, 2006 at 11:43 PM »
My lone DVD is Blade Trinity.

Packaging is ok.  Contents I think is same with the R1 copy.  2-discs siya.

Boughti t for 250 yata.  I'm satisfied with it.

Though there's a bit of shimmering and shadows during dark scenes...which in this kind of movie is a lot.  Ok na rin.

Offline nebula

• Apprentice
  • Wat species r u?
  • Liked:
« Reply #110 on: Oct 03, 2006 at 07:59 AM »
I own two: Jumanji and Peter Pan (not Walt Disney). Experienced very small skip on Peter Pan. Of course video is somewhere between a vcd and dvd9. My opinion, for teaching your kids how to use dvds, get these cheap alternatives.

Offline cel-shaded

• Collector
  • Forum Visitor
  • Liked:
« Reply #111 on: Oct 03, 2006 at 09:52 AM »
I have the following C-Interactive titles:

DVD:
Love Actually
Underworld

VCD:
Lord of the Rings The Fellowship of the Ring
Lord of the Rings The Two Towers
Lord of the Rings Return of the King

The Love Actually DVD is okay.

My Underworld DVD is problematic. Previously, the features are viewable, but it loads for at around 10 seconds before I can watch the feature. In the "Trailers" section, after watching this 1 trailer, the menu is supposed to be the "Trailers" menu, but it's a different menu, and that is bad.

Now the DVD is unviewable. Maybe it's my DVD player. hmmm

Offline vtec3

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 30
« Reply #112 on: Oct 03, 2006 at 01:14 PM »
Blade Trinity (2 Disc) - did not expect much when I bought this DVD in one of the sale events. With this release I am pretty much happy considering I did not pay much  ;)

Offline DVD_Freak

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Life is a Blessing
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 12
« Reply #113 on: Oct 03, 2006 at 01:17 PM »
I own two: Jumanji and Peter Pan (not Walt Disney). Experienced very small skip on Peter Pan. Of course video is somewhere between a vcd and dvd9. My opinion, for teaching your kids how to use dvds, get these cheap alternatives.

Aren't these Magnavision releases?

Offline techdude

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Spinning...
  • Liked:
« Reply #114 on: Oct 03, 2006 at 01:19 PM »
If I am not wrong, both those titles are DVD5, but not C Interactive.  They are from a division of Magnavision yata.  They usually sells for 150.  I got a few of those too like King Kong 1976(?)s version.

Offline X-®an™

• DVD Guru
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #115 on: Oct 03, 2006 at 07:11 PM »
I have these two titles:
  • The Lord Of The Rings: The Fellowship Of The Rings  [Widescreen]
  • The Lord Of The Rings: The Two Towers  [Widescreen]

Bought them for Php 375 each.  Dati may offer ang C-Interactive na pwedeng isoli ito, does anyone know if this offer is still valid?

Offline jackdejesus

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #116 on: Oct 03, 2006 at 07:20 PM »
I have one. Unleashed, the Jet Li film. PQ and AQ are pretty good, it's even in DTS. :o There were plenty of features, including a theatrical and extended cut of the movie via seamless branching, well, maybe not so seamless. :) Regarding packaging..umm, well, it has a 1 page insert :D

Offline ranran

• DVD Guru
  • SOUL PATROL!
  • Liked:
« Reply #117 on: Oct 04, 2006 at 06:37 PM »
very nice review sir jack, makes me want to get that title also.  ;)

Offline mongaddi

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • DVD Addict
  • Trapped inside this Octavarium
  • Liked:
« Reply #118 on: Oct 07, 2006 at 03:13 PM »
i have:

sky captain and the world of tomorrow
phantom of the opera
Alexander

for the price, i am quite satisfied. kahit single layer lang sya.  ;)
I've been trying to justify you.
In the end I will just defy you.

Offline du1mij

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #119 on: Oct 07, 2006 at 11:06 PM »
I don't mean to flame but I do not have very good experiences with C-Interactive released movies.  There was in fact a time or two that I had to return the disc simply because I felt I was mislead to think the movie was DTS when in fact it was only in Stereo, not even Dolby Digital.  I argued with O Greenbelt that if you put the logo of Dolby Digital and/or DTS on the cover then consumers would expect the movie to be mastered in whichever logo appears on the cover, regardless of what the "Language" table indicates.  O was understanding enough to accept the return.

I gave them a chance to redeem themselves by purchasing another one but lo and behold, it was the same case.  It went back to the store and this time, it was a different video shop also in Greenbelt who was likewise kind enough to exchange the disc.

Perhaps that's it for now for me when it comes to C-Interactive discs.