Author Topic: Good Speaker and Integrated Amp combo for 2 ch Music.  (Read 2648 times)

Offline indie boi

• Kapitan
  • Trade Count: (+31)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Twitter: @indieboi
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Good Speaker and Integrated Amp combo for 2 ch Music.
« on: Oct 10, 2006 at 04:18 PM »
I hope you guys can help me. My wife is planning to give me a speaker and amp as a birthday gift. What brands would you recommend are good pairings? I just want to limit my choices before I actually do start auditioning the units. The units will only be used exclusively for audio (listening mostly to rock, alternative, jazz and blues). The room to be used is our living room but since there are no partitions in the first floor it will technically be for an 80 sq/m space.

The budget that my wife is toying with is 20 to 25 thou. Is this a good budget for a starter setup?

Thanks in advance for any help you can extend.
« Last Edit: Oct 10, 2006 at 07:46 PM by levi »

Offline Ctlim

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Good Speaker and Amp combo
« Reply #1 on: Oct 10, 2006 at 04:45 PM »
yamaha avr's now are on sale 11.2k for the vx357 (5.1 100w per ch) or the vx457 13.8k (6.1 110w per ch) i suggest you start with either a decent Floor Standing or Bookshelf (buy a stand nalang)... then after add ka nalang ng sub, center and surround.

try the mordaunt short avant 902i... very highly rated. on sale now at 5th ave parksquare... 12+ thou lang.

Offline indie boi

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: Oct 10, 2006 at 05:15 PM »
Thanks bro pero 2Ch audio lang ang kailangan ko at this point. :)

Offline alexg

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: Oct 10, 2006 at 07:23 PM »
Try the Aurum Cantus 5508 speaker (15K), then try to get a nice used amp for 10K (NAD, Rotels) should be a good match for the Aurum Cantus.

Though the Aurum 5508 is for home theater, I have heard it with a Cayin Tube amp and an SS amp. It sounds good.

Contact Audio Amplified, aside from selling the Aurum Cantus they have 2 ch solid state amps that is quite close to your budget.

Here is used a good price for a pair of Aurum Cantus Leisure 2SV (originally selling for 25k) http://wiredstate.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12286

I have auditioned the Aurum Leisure 2SV, it has very nice sound for a bookshelf speaker!
« Last Edit: Oct 10, 2006 at 07:25 PM by alexg »
I went fishing the other day, and I caught a BIG ONE!

Offline levi

• Konsehal
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Sevilla and Sons Sausages
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: Oct 10, 2006 at 07:45 PM »
Try HK,Rotel, AMX integrated tube amps and you  can pair it with Dali bookshelves.

Offline indie boi

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
Re: Good Speaker and Integrated Amp combo for 2 ch Music.
« Reply #5 on: Oct 10, 2006 at 07:51 PM »
Thanks again for the suggestions. Bro Levi, are the Concept 2s good speakers for rock music?

AlexG thanks for the link, I'll look into it.

Offline Lucky7

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: Oct 11, 2006 at 10:47 AM »
indie boi,

budget system with audiophile sound?

Listen to Nad C320bee int. amp and a pair of Paradigm atom or PSB Alpha B or Epos Els3.

For sure baka dagdagan pa ni misis yung budget.

Gudlak!

Offline bumblebee

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #7 on: Oct 11, 2006 at 11:05 AM »
I second the C320BEE. Consider gainclones (JojoD)  too.

Usual suspects for speakers:
AE Evo1
B&W 3 series
Dali Concepts
MA B2
Mission M3's
MS 902i/912
Usher S-520
Wharfedale 9.1/9.2
« Last Edit: Oct 11, 2006 at 11:06 AM by bumblebee »

Offline MAtZTER

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • More POWER to your HT! literally ...
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: Oct 11, 2006 at 11:37 AM »
Let me just mention the best speaker integrated amp combo I ever auditioned: Dynaudio audience 72 + Exposure 2010s integrated amp. One of the best I ever heard. But w/ the Exposure CDP, the whole setup will cost about 200k ;D. But no harm if I dream about it... hehe

For the price you mentioned above, go for the mid level bookshelves like Mission M51 or Monitor RS1. These 2 are very respectable sounding speakers for their price.

When I auditioned the Mission M51 bookshelf in spectra I immediately fell in love with it. The guy who was beside me canvassing for EPOS ( & was about to buy) CHANGED his mind to the Missions. Just a few days later I had my M5 set. Sounds great with tubes & looks cool too. It suits my listening taste very well.

The room to be used is our living room but since there are no partitions in the first floor it will technically be for an 80 sq/m space.

This 80 sqm listening area can be a potential probelm. It would usually take a lot of amplification (translates to more expen$$ive amps) to power your speakers for an area this big.
« Last Edit: Oct 11, 2006 at 11:52 AM by MAtZTER »

Offline synchro_01

• Trade Count: (+104)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1002
« Reply #9 on: Oct 11, 2006 at 12:36 PM »
This 80 sqm listening area can be a potential probelm. It would usually take a lot of amplification (translates to more expen$$ive amps) to power your speakers for an area this big.

There are more ways to skin the cat.... you could go the other route which is to buy highly sensitive speakers (90db and above) and match them with lower powered solid state amplifiers (read cheaper) or better yet go ALL TUBE!! 

indie boi,

what kind of music do you listen to?  what sort of volume level do you normally listen to your music?  do you want to fill that 80 sqm with concert like SPL's, BGM like levels or somewhere in between those two?  answer those questions and you may then narrow down your shopping list for speakers and amplifiers considerably.  Audition the gears in your listening room if possible. That is the best way to know if it would sound right to your ears.

« Last Edit: Oct 11, 2006 at 01:59 PM by synchro_01 »
Pioneer Elite/Dynaudio/REL 7.1 THX
Pioneer DDJ SR2/Pioneer DM60/Mac Air M1
Sonos/NHT 2,1 sub sat

Offline indie boi

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: Oct 11, 2006 at 03:45 PM »
I have eclectic tastes so I practically listen to all types of music but majority of my collection is rock and pop. I don't plan on cranking the volume up to concert like levels as I have a two year old son and a wife who always asks me to turn the volume down so probably, it will just go above background music level to something a bit loud. I have a Pioneer receiver and when I turn the volume it rarely ever reaches the 10 o clock position.

I really appreciate your help guys. Please keep the recommendations coming as I am also presenting it to the budgetary committee (my wife!).  Salamatches!!

By the way, what do you guys think of the Concept 2 as per Levi's suggestion? Also of Matz's M51 suggestion? Is there any chance that my budget would be enough for floorstanders?

Another question, is there really a distinction between speakers that are aimed specifically for HT and for pure audio? Or is this line blurred?

Offline MAtZTER

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: Oct 11, 2006 at 05:15 PM »
By the way, what do you guys think of the Concept 2 as per Levi's suggestion? Also of Matz's M51 suggestion? Is there any chance that my budget would be enough for floorstanders?

Think about it, most of the time, entry level floorstanders cost almost the same as mid level bookshelf speakers of the same brand. The sound of the Mid level BS is MUUUUCH more refined and detailed than their entry level counterpart.

Assuming you got a mid level BS, You would have less SARS listening to its FS counterpart (cuz characteristics are almost the same) as opposed to owning an entry level FS and listening to its Mid level BS counterpart in the future (SARSSSSSS).

Between the 2, and having heard both, I would rather go for the Mid level.
« Last Edit: Oct 12, 2006 at 10:07 AM by MAtZTER »

Offline av_phile1

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Cheers from a movie and music lover
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: Oct 11, 2006 at 06:02 PM »

Another question, is there really a distinction between speakers that are aimed specifically for HT and for pure audio? Or is this line blurred?

Among serious audiophiles, most mass-fi speakers meant for audio playback are more refined, detailed and accurate than speakers meant for HT at some price points.  But among well-designed speakers, the distinction can easily blurr, specially above a certain price point.     

Musical speakers are more demanding in terms of design objectives.  I would think that when all your cognitive powers are focused on listening to music, those speakers better perform best.  You get to notice subtleties and detail.   Not as much as when your cognitive senses are divided between visuals and audio in HT.  Manufacturers are aware of this divided attention, so they can compromise a bit on speakers meant for HT.  And especially when those speakers are meant to be used with powered subwoofers in HT, you can expect them to be bass-challenged at some price points, either not deep enough, or not musical enough compared with speakers aimed at pure audio.

And what is good for audio is almost always good for HT, but not necessarily the reverse.  Forget about those THX certfication.  Excellent audio speakers have been there long before THX arrived on the scene.  And some of the most musical speakers are never THX certified.  Just my thoughts.
« Last Edit: Oct 11, 2006 at 06:09 PM by av_phile1 »

Offline ricky

• Trade Count: (+68)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Duh?
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 544
« Reply #13 on: Oct 11, 2006 at 08:41 PM »
hi bro, if i may suggest since you dont listen to high volume levels maybe its best to try and get a TUBE int amp and a nice bookshelf speakers.With your budget maganda na makukuha mo dito. IME my mid level ht cant win sa sound quality nung entry level tube set-up ko ;D Try the ts audio 34.1(selling at wiredstate for 13t) and KEF q1 BS speaker,it can power a 70sqm place ;D

Offline Lucky7

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: Oct 11, 2006 at 10:18 PM »
Matzer,

How much is the exposure 2010s and who carry this brand?

thanks

Offline oweidah

• Trade Count: (+61)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 633
« Reply #15 on: Oct 11, 2006 at 11:51 PM »
sir indieboi,
given your 25k budget -
amp - nad c320bee or (if available, you may wana try nad c325bee though wala pa masyado reviews about this new amp eh maganda naman ang pedigree nya - http://nadelectronics.com/articles/Hi-Fi-That-Rocked)

speaker- mordauntshort ms902i

dont forget additional expense on speaker cable and interconnects
you may opt for branded or generic. ( i spend max.7-10% of my total system cost)

& as always - it takes all to tango - program source (cd quality)+ source (cd player) +amp +speakers +cables/ics + room acoustics+ speaker placement = system synergy  :)
« Last Edit: Oct 11, 2006 at 11:55 PM by oweidah »

Offline indie boi

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: Oct 11, 2006 at 11:59 PM »
hi bro, if i may suggest since you dont listen to high volume levels maybe its best to try and get a TUBE int amp and a nice bookshelf speakers.With your budget maganda na makukuha mo dito. IME my mid level ht cant win sa sound quality nung entry level tube set-up ko ;D Try the ts audio 34.1(selling at wiredstate for 13t) and KEF q1 BS speaker,it can power a 70sqm place ;D

If it would be possible to go tube then I would definitely welcome it! Yan sana talaga ang gusto ko but I thought that with my budget it may be next to impossible. I just checked the ad you were referring to but it was already sold. Hopefully I can find another great offer.

Offline bumblebee

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #17 on: Oct 12, 2006 at 08:03 AM »
Try AMX tube amps. Phasetron, Park Square 1.

Offline MAtZTER

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: Oct 12, 2006 at 10:33 AM »
How much is the exposure 2010s and who carry this brand?

Exposure 2010s Integrated amp- 60k
Exposure 2010s CD player- 60k
Dynaudio Audience 72 floorstander- 72k

Wonderful 200k setup.   :o

« Last Edit: Oct 12, 2006 at 10:37 AM by MAtZTER »

Offline MAtZTER

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: Oct 12, 2006 at 10:38 AM »
I hope you guys can help me. My wife is planning to give me a speaker and amp as a birthday gift. The room to be used is our living room but since there are no partitions in the first floor it will technically be for an 80 sq/m space.

The budget that my wife is toying with is 20 to 25 thou. Is this a good budget for a starter setup?

Oops, I misread the post. 20-25 kasama na pala speakers & amp. I thought speakers pa lang.

I set up a simple hybrid audio setup for my bayaw's new house a few months ago. It was located in their big living/dining room too. The tube sound was indeed capable of filling the room with sweet music. Problem was, the design of their house in Valle Verde was "minimalist" and was so bare. The echos from the walls were so bad so the best location to listen was either outside near the pool or....in the CR (really!)

So tama si oweidah. Its very important for synergy... room acoustics included. We were there last weekend for a party and my sister insisted on using the setup for loud disco music. Kaya naman.

Set up was:
Tube pre amp made by JojoD around 7k that time
pre owned 130w x 2 stereo power amp around 7k
Monitor Audio S6 floorstanders (ouch$)

others:
NAD CDP
NAD tuner
Ecosse 2.3 cables
Monster interconnects.
AVR

So I guess kaya naman yung 25k, but entry level speakers.

« Last Edit: Oct 12, 2006 at 10:40 AM by MAtZTER »

Offline synchro_01

• Trade Count: (+104)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1002
« Reply #20 on: Oct 12, 2006 at 10:50 AM »
I have eclectic tastes so I practically listen to all types of music but majority of my collection is rock and pop. I don't plan on cranking the volume up to concert like levels as I have a two year old son and a wife who always asks me to turn the volume down so probably, it will just go above background music level to something a bit loud. I have a Pioneer receiver and when I turn the volume it rarely ever reaches the 10 o clock position.

since you are into Rock and Pop your safest (and cheapest) bet is to go Solid State. Im not saying that tubes cant rock and roll. There are tube amp designs that can reproduce rock faithfully and at very satisfyling SPL's but these can get expensive.  You choice of the Dali Concept is a sound one. Heard it at Architectural Audio and its a good all around speaker. Specs are both S/S and tube friendly so if you do decide to go either way you got your bases covered.  A lot of users here and on the other site use Dali for stereo applications so they might know a thing or two about its performance. Missions on the other hand are known for HT applications. I have yet to see a killer stereo rig that is anchored by a pair of mission speakers though.  Safest bet is to try them both if they fit the bill.  Based on your budget its better if you go second hand for the integrated amp and brand new for the speaker. Speakers by far influence the sound of a setup more than the other "links" of the chain so to speak so its better if you put the budget where it would count the most.  There are lot of good quality integrateds that are sold at rock bottom prices here and on the other site. These amps more often than not are well taken cared of and are in good shape and condition so you may get a good deal out of them.  Get at least 50 watts/ch and up so you will have headroom to spare. 
Pioneer Elite/Dynaudio/REL 7.1 THX
Pioneer DDJ SR2/Pioneer DM60/Mac Air M1
Sonos/NHT 2,1 sub sat

Offline MAtZTER

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: Oct 12, 2006 at 11:11 AM »

since you are into Rock and Pop your safest (and cheapest) bet is to go Solid State. Im not saying that tubes cant rock and roll. There are tube amp designs that can reproduce rock faithfully and at very satisfyling SPL's but these can get expensive.  You choice of the Dali Concept is a sound one. Heard it at Architectural Audio and its a good all around speaker. Specs are both S/S and tube friendly so if you do decide to go either way you got your bases covered.  A lot of users here and on the other site use Dali for stereo applications so they might know a thing or two about its performance. Missions on the other hand are known for HT applications. I have yet to see a killer stereo rig that is anchored by a pair of mission speakers though.  Safest bet is to try them both if they fit the bill.  Based on your budget its better if you go second hand for the integrated amp and brand new for the speaker. Speakers by far influence the sound of a setup more than the other "links" of the chain so to speak so its better if you put the budget where it would count the most.  There are lot of good quality integrateds that are sold at rock bottom prices here and on the other site. These amps more often than not are well taken cared of and are in good shape and condition so you may get a good deal out of them.  Get at least 50 watts/ch and up so you will have headroom to spare. 

Agree ako about the expensive tubes thing for rock, also try the cheaper hybrid route like I mentioned above.

Sir synchro, I saw & heard a killer stereo rig anchored by Mission M5's. Its from DannyB of wiredstate who I got my Mission speakers from (twice). He uses 90k TT's, 17k speaker wires, etc etc. I just wasnt used to the analog sound and his music was so different from mine (trumpets). He had to sell everything due to an eye operation.

Here are his gears: click.

In my (audio) newbie book, its a killer rig already.
« Last Edit: Oct 12, 2006 at 11:17 AM by MAtZTER »

Offline obey

• Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: Oct 12, 2006 at 12:37 PM »
Are you open to the idea of buying pre-owned or surplus stuff? If you are then I suggest that you take a look at the celestion floorstanders and denon integrated amp being sold at the for sale section.  May sukli ka pa pambili ng CDs or CD player ;D
« Last Edit: Oct 12, 2006 at 12:40 PM by obey »

Offline aHobbit

• DVD Guru
  • Think HARDER - HOLLOW Heads! No FO0Ls Please!
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: Oct 13, 2006 at 12:58 PM »
Are you open to the idea of buying pre-owned or surplus stuff? If you are then I suggest that you take a look at the celestion floorstanders and denon integrated amp being sold at the for sale section.  May sukli ka pa pambili ng CDs or CD player ;D

This is one of the most practical way - of course, your selection is kinda limited to whoever is selling his gears! But this is no different (not much choice) having just 25k for a brand new selection.

Since you are into rocks and jazz (and not into pure vocals or orchestra), personally, tube may not be it but highly powered amp at least 50w, good hitting bottom end speaker delivery. Without a subwoofer module, your speaker must have good bass handling capability. With not much power to fuel the sound, the speaker should be efficient enough so as not to demand much power and yet, give the SPL worhty of rock & jazz.

At 25k, and with many surplus shop/2nd hand gear shop around, the amount is more than enough. For a brand new one, it may not!

If you can postpone your birthday  ::) , you can have ample time to audition the 2nd hand gears you can find, and end up with what's pleasing with your ear (for you will not have any inkling what kind of listeners are we - our respective subjectivities - compared to you) e.g. we may be satified just hearing the upper low bass to high freq but you may crave for bottom end. Really, the choice you can see from us is purely based on our respective preferences, which can be drastically different from your own expectation.

If your birthday is an unstoppable event  ;D , spending 25k is 25k :o  - at this time, a huge money too dificult to let go, more so if spent not to the right gear which will fulfill your idea of music enjoyment  :( .

Go arm yourself with your CD and browse the surplus shop with name brands ranging from 6" to 12" bass driver, 2-3ways system, book shelf to towers. As synchro said, focus on which count the most - speakers. if you are not an audiophile nut through & through, some boutique expensive gears may not also be it - hear it for yourself - and dont trust our ears!

Then as obey said, you will have extras to spend for your DVD players! ... and probably a TT also 8) ! IMHO, I can be rocking and jazzing for about half your budget - giving those orphaned gears a place to play their best!

Happy haunting!!!  ;D  ;D
Anti PDVD Malware (STUP1Ds & F0OLs)

Offline ProtegeManiac

• DVD Addict
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: Oct 13, 2006 at 05:57 PM »
@indie boi,

I listen to rock too, though I do more of it in the car than at home, so I didn;t take that music into consideration when I bought my gears. I bought my NAD 304 for 5.5 based on online reviews and the low price, then I brought the amp to yamaha greenhills where I picked a Wharfe 8.1 for 4.2K (demo'd, though not auditioned in the strict sense, with Sarah Brightman Live in Vegas and a borrowed Norah Jones CD). already had a JBL sub and currently using an old pioneer dv-355 while Im saving up for a cd player.

how does it perform with rock music? not as "live" sounding as my car's system (but then that wasn't the intent), but surprisingly well. bass response is really weak without the sub, but placing the sub between the two speakers (instead of corner loaded) gets good reinforcement/integration. most likely its the source unit that's the real weak point more than the speakers.

the Scream 3 soundtrack sounds really good, for some reason this was the only album where it didn't have glaring issues with fast drum beats (on the Slipknot track). so did Creed's first album, and an MP3 disc with STP tracks. sounds too dark with hardcore metal with male vocals though. progressive metal has great midrange for the price but fast double pedal beats tend to be weak, but that's really my only glaring complaint.

you could try inquiring with both sellers who posted the NAD304's to see if they're still in stock, don't let the 35 watt rating fool you. when I wanted to see how loud it can go I slowly dialed up to the 12:00 position, and it only got better as i went louder. the only thing that stopped me was that at 11:00 my system could be heard down the hallway already even with the main door closed. acceptable trade off for the convenience of condo living.

another alternative would be this: I tried out the T-amp at dai-ichi powering Euros 8 towers and a Creative MP3 player as a source unit. that was during a 3day sale and there was a some noise outside,  BUT, the percussion on Urbandub's "Fallen on Deaf Ears" and "Under Crisis" at 256kbps was unbelievable, considering compressed audio through an amp that size powering tower speakers, with a bad listening environment. it won't kick you in the chest but it was definitely audible.

Offline akyatbundok

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: Oct 17, 2006 at 02:41 PM »
dunno how these combos will sound but i've heard a few of them with other gear

wharfedale 9.1 (5.5k)
.....T-amp (2k)
.....AMX EL84 amp (13k)
.....AMX EL34 amp (16k)

AMX EL84 amp (13k)
.....Wharfedale 9.1 (5.5k)
.....Wharfedale 9.2 (6.5k)
.....Mission 780 (8k used)
.....MS 912 (11k)

not sure about exact prices but i think they're within range.... i would start with speakers that "can rock", then select an amp that has the juice to drive them.... the speaker-amp matching matters a lot.
« Last Edit: Oct 17, 2006 at 02:45 PM by akyatbundok »