Author Topic: What were those speakers?  (Read 759 times)

Offline lithium_deuteride

• Trade Count: (+35)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Keep on rockin' in the free world
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 207
What were those speakers?
« on: Nov 12, 2006 at 05:59 PM »
Anyone go to Rm 604 of the Hi-Fi show?  It was too crowded to go in fully but they were playing these huge low speakers with the name Altec (Altec only, no Lansing) on them.  There were horns mounted on the drivers and placed on top of the huge cabinets were enormous horn type tweeters (?).

Whatever, the setup produced the most amazing sound I've ever heard.  They were playing heavy jazz fusion. I hate jazz fusion yet I got pulled in by the sound and I couldn't go away.  The sheer realism, the incredible sustained high frequency shimmer, that 'in there' feeling, the attack of the sound, was mind blowing. I heard Rene's effervescent Proacs, 330T peso Coincidents, and the Von Schweikerts but nothing came close to the sound in room 604. 
« Last Edit: Nov 12, 2006 at 06:01 PM by lithium_deuteride »
Lyra | Nottingham | Musical Fidelity | CEC | SOtM | Chord | Accuphase | Harbeth | REL

Offline MAtZTER

• Trade Count: (0)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • More POWER to your HT! literally ...
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: What were those speakers?
« Reply #1 on: Nov 13, 2006 at 10:49 AM »
Those huge things  must be Altec's newest model PC speakers  ;D.

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: Nov 13, 2006 at 11:17 AM »
Did a bit of googling, the drivers were I'm quite sure Altec Lansing's apparently famed 604 Duplex units, hence their choice of room number. Those huge enclosures were probably bespoked.

I'd really like to find out more about that setup though. There were four speakers in all and 4 tubed amps during the demo. The extra pair of speakers were probably subs and all the electronic gizmos laid down with the amps were what - active crossovers?   

The open baffle Altecs playing next door sounded positively anemic in comparison.
« Last Edit: Nov 14, 2006 at 12:40 PM by lithium_deuteride »
Lyra | Nottingham | Musical Fidelity | CEC | SOtM | Chord | Accuphase | Harbeth | REL

Offline qguy

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Usher/Rythmik/S
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 66
« Reply #3 on: Nov 14, 2006 at 10:20 AM »
you mean this one ?

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: Nov 14, 2006 at 12:26 PM »
Yes thats them. Thanks. Pic doesn't convey their bulk.  Looks custom made.  Anyone else got to hear them at full cry?