Author Topic: AVR Sub out  (Read 1287 times)

Offline jadm72

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Apprentice
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
AVR Sub out
« on: Nov 08, 2006 at 11:58 AM »
Magandang araw po!

Question lang .

My receiver has only one channel out for the subwoofer, while my sub has the 2 channel input.  When I just connect one channel. Medyo bitin yung tunog.  BTW, I used the Auto set-up feature of my receiver using a provided set-up Microphone.

I used a Y RCA connector to connect to two channels,  Gumanda naman yung tunog at mararamdaman mo na yung bayo ng sub.

I tried to connect a second sub woofer (placed at the back) using two more Y connectors, so yung isang sub out, naging apat?  Mas ramdam yung bayo everywhere in the room.  Better daw sabi ng mga kids ko.

Is there a safety issue for the receiver on this type of connection?  How about for the subs?

I tried to connect the sub thru the VCR audio out or TAPE out, but one gets sacrificed when I shift from Audio to Video.  Also, doing this route will need to manually adjust the sub levels, frequency and volume.  Medyo hindi ko matimpla yung yung combination.

Appreciate anybody's feedback.

Offline jerix

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • got no golden ears...just loving music
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 70
Re: AVR Sub out
« Reply #1 on: Nov 08, 2006 at 01:26 PM »
bro m curious about your sub having 2 channel input that can operate at the same time. Normally a receiver has only 1 sub out and thats the .1 of a 5.1 receiver. As to the safety issue of that connection, i think there is no problem. Your receiver is just outputting the signal to your sub. You cannot get a low freq sub signal from your TAPE or VCR out terminals because they are not specially designed to merely output a single bass signal.
Samsung65MU6303/TCL4kPS49TV/OnkSR608/OnkTXNR676/Marantz/Akai/Sansui/PrjEssential-II

Offline jadm72

• Apprentice
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: Nov 08, 2006 at 02:17 PM »
Thanks Jerix.

I was worried with the connection I experimented using the SUB out.

Originally, the technician connected only one cable to the SUB. At that time, Ok naman yung tunog pero parang walang bayo.  Since I had pre-wired the room for two outs, I experimented connecting both using a Y connector. I noticed a significant change.

Since I had a spare sub from an former set-up, I decided to connect the same and WHOA!  My kids loved it.

I experimented also on using the VCR (for HT) and Tape (out)  connection as suggested in some articles on the NET, but I couldn't get the proper mix for volume and cross-over.

Can you recommend a DVD movie that can test the Subs?  Our favorite is King Kong and Jurassic Park 1, any other recommendation?

Thanks.

Offline av_phile1

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Cheers from a movie and music lover
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: Nov 08, 2006 at 03:10 PM »
2 subs at the right locations almost always provide smoother in-room bass response.  See here:
http://pinoydvd.com/board/index.php?topic=56722.new;boardseen#new

Some DVD titles worth checking for superb subwoofer activity:

The exploding depth charges in U-571
The pod race in Star Wars 1 Phantom Menace
The canons firing in Master and Commander
The lift-off in Apollo 13
Most films on DVD with explosions like Sum Of All Fears
and Collateral Damage, to mention just a few.

Offline jadm72

• Apprentice
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: Nov 08, 2006 at 04:07 PM »
Thanks AV for the leads on the titles.  Will test later using the titles you suggested.

On the 2 subs, hindi identical pero almost the same rating. Isang 200 Watts and 150 Watts yung luma.  I placed them diagonally, like the figure 2 of your referred article.  The 200W is in front right and the 150W is at the rear left. Very noticable yung difference versus just one:200W.  I also use  floor standers as fronts so there is some bass coming from them.

When I tried Audio, using front right/left + subs,  the voices and instruments come alive.

It is just my ears used for testing, plus my kids as critics for before and after comments.

My wife doesn't like action movies with deep bass at natatakot daw siya

Can you confirm if it is safe to connect all the subs 4 connections into the one Sub out of the receiver?

Offline lui-G

• Apprentice
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: Nov 22, 2006 at 08:59 AM »
bro m curious about your sub having 2 channel input that can operate at the same time. Normally a receiver has only 1 sub out and thats the .1 of a 5.1 receiver. As to the safety issue of that connection, i think there is no problem. Your receiver is just outputting the signal to your sub. You cannot get a low freq sub signal from your TAPE or VCR out terminals because they are not specially designed to merely output a single bass signal.

newbie here sir jerix. clarification lang po re 2 ch input. mine has a low input, L and R. from what i've noticed, when i connect from sub out (avr) to sub in (sub), using either L or R ch, i don't get much LFE (is that correct? :D). anyways, but when i tried connecting from speaker out (avr) to speaker in (sub), it produced a good bass sound. as in napuno ng bass yun room ko. my question is, is it ok to just use the speaker in rather than that of the low input of my sub? and another thing, i won't be able to connect my front speakers directly to the avr since i have a connection from avr speaker out to the sub and i just connect the front speakers to the speaker out of the sub. i feel that some audio quality are being sacrificed since it passes thru the sub instead of sound coming directly from avr.

hope to hear from you.

TIA
« Last Edit: Nov 22, 2006 at 09:57 AM by lui-G »

Offline av_phile1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: Nov 22, 2006 at 10:55 AM »
Thanks AV for the leads on the titles.  Will test later using the titles you suggested.

On the 2 subs, hindi identical pero almost the same rating. Isang 200 Watts and 150 Watts yung luma.  I placed them diagonally, like the figure 2 of your referred article.  The 200W is in front right and the 150W is at the rear left. Very noticable yung difference versus just one:200W.  I also use  floor standers as fronts so there is some bass coming from them.

When I tried Audio, using front right/left + subs,  the voices and instruments come alive.

It is just my ears used for testing, plus my kids as critics for before and after comments.

My wife doesn't like action movies with deep bass at natatakot daw siya

Can you confirm if it is safe to connect all the subs 4 connections into the one Sub out of the receiver?

Totally overlooked this thread for a long time.  Regarding your question, I haven't tried, but I see no problem.  I prefer using the LINE OUT of the subwoofer, (not to be confused with the speaker OUT)  if it has one, to connect to another subwoofer or daisy chain multiple subs.

Offline lui-G

• Apprentice
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: Nov 22, 2006 at 11:20 AM »
hi sir avphile, perhaps you can help me on my query.

thanks!

Offline av_phile1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: Nov 22, 2006 at 02:19 PM »
hi sir avphile, perhaps you can help me on my query.

thanks!

Your high level speaker connection to the sub is just another viable connection option - the main speakers act like satelite speakers with filtered-out lows.   You can also try using an RCA spliter adapter for your line level connection so you can connect your AVR's sub out to both the left and right RCA input of the sub.  I think this should increase the input level to the sub. 
« Last Edit: Nov 22, 2006 at 02:36 PM by av_phile1 »

Offline lui-G

• Apprentice
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: Nov 22, 2006 at 03:01 PM »
ganito ba yun sir?

Offline s2kov

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: Nov 22, 2006 at 05:30 PM »
yan nga! :)

Offline alfa

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: Nov 23, 2006 at 07:43 AM »
just use a Y RCA splitter like the above and your fine just make sure you split the load as in 1 out split to two... the two ones split into four... pyramid/triangle configuration.

Offline jerix

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • got no golden ears...just loving music
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 70
« Reply #12 on: Nov 23, 2006 at 12:52 PM »
newbie here sir jerix. clarification lang po re 2 ch input. mine has a low input, L and R. from what i've noticed, when i connect from sub out (avr) to sub in (sub), using either L or R ch, i don't get much LFE (is that correct? :D). anyways, but when i tried connecting from speaker out (avr) to speaker in (sub), it produced a good bass sound. as in napuno ng bass yun room ko. my question is, is it ok to just use the speaker in rather than that of the low input of my sub? and another thing, i won't be able to connect my front speakers directly to the avr since i have a connection from avr speaker out to the sub and i just connect the front speakers to the speaker out of the sub. i feel that some audio quality are being sacrificed since it passes thru the sub instead of sound coming directly from avr.

hope to hear from you.

TIA

Bro --sorry for the late reply -- with my previous sub (ganzklar) i have this type of connection before and i didnt have problems with the audio. the sub is supposed to get the low freq. from your avr before transmitting it to your speakers.

from your avr's speakers out, try to connect another set of wires that go straight to your speakers. this should not be aproblem i think because that sub having a power on its own, is not getting any power from the avr.
Samsung65MU6303/TCL4kPS49TV/OnkSR608/OnkTXNR676/Marantz/Akai/Sansui/PrjEssential-II

Offline lui-G

• Apprentice
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: Nov 24, 2006 at 07:57 AM »
thank you very much mga sirs! i opted for the  y rca and the LFE was remarkable! toned-down the gain almost a quarter! ;)

thanks again!