Author Topic: PS3 as a blu-ray player  (Read 369424 times)

Offline kakashi

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: PS3 as a blu-ray player
« Reply #1860 on: Apr 23, 2009 at 07:35 PM »
hehehe, sorry for the wrong term, i was meaning to say alternative controller, or to put it simply, can it be used as a controller too with all those buttons there? hehehe

quite satisfied with it too, just wondering if it really is worth it to switch to a stand alone player =)

Offline pchin

• Trade Count: (+122)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • HD-Men
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #1861 on: Apr 23, 2009 at 11:31 PM »
quite satisfied with it too, just wondering if it really is worth it to switch to a stand alone player =)

In this case, if you're satisfied with PS3 then there's no reason to get a standalone BD player, thus I guess the answer is "not worth it"...  ;D

Offline ricochet315

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #1862 on: Apr 24, 2009 at 02:08 AM »

As for a BD player, I'm very satisfy with its performance but for those who watch lots of BD movies & own HDMI AVR capable of decoding the DTS-HD MA might want to consider standalone BD player that can output the audio bitstream in order to take full advantage of their HDMI Receivers. :)

Bro., as I stated in my earlier post, although the PS3 cannot bitstream DTS-HD MA, mine can still decode it and output it through PCM.  In which case, I still enjoy BD audio recorded in this format.  My issue is, what would be the advantage of a BD player that can bitstream DTS-HD MA to an AVR capable of decoding DTS-HD MA versus using the PS3 as the decoding flatform?
Always Do The Harder Right And Not The Easier Wrong

Offline pchin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HD-Men
  • Liked:
« Reply #1863 on: Apr 24, 2009 at 08:32 AM »
Bro., as I stated in my earlier post, although the PS3 cannot bitstream DTS-HD MA, mine can still decode it and output it through PCM.  In which case, I still enjoy BD audio recorded in this format.  My issue is, what would be the advantage of a BD player that can bitstream DTS-HD MA to an AVR capable of decoding DTS-HD MA versus using the PS3 as the decoding flatform?

I presume you're connecting your PS3 to a HDMI receiver (except it is without the TrueHD & DTS-MA decoding capality), thus in theory the lossless audio from both PS3 & SA players should produce similar quality.

However, another school of thought (audio gurus) believe SA players that can output bitstream (let the AVR do the decoding) should produce "slightly" better audio quality. Assuming there is really a difference, to notice/discern the "difference" would be near impossible (not everyone has a PERFECT HT setup & a pair of golden ears).

Don't let this matter worries us too much. :) On a separate note, there's a constant debate between Lossy vs Lossless audio. This alone, many users fail to distiguish btw the two.  ;)
« Last Edit: Apr 24, 2009 at 08:55 AM by pchin »

Offline ricochet315

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #1864 on: Apr 24, 2009 at 03:00 PM »
I think the discussion revolves specifically on DTS-HD MA.  The PS3, as I read in previous posts, purportedly cannot decode this format.  I which case, if you want to listen to it, you have to buy a BD player that bitstreams it to n AVR that can decode it.  In my experience though, my PS3 can and outputs it through PCM. How do I know it, there is a button on the remote that allows you to check what kind of audio format is outputed.

Offline iiinas

• Kagawad
  • Trade Count: (+76)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • -> THXed <-
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #1865 on: Apr 24, 2009 at 04:57 PM »
I think the discussion revolves specifically on DTS-HD MA.  The PS3, as I read in previous posts, purportedly cannot decode this format.  I which case, if you want to listen to it, you have to buy a BD player that bitstreams it to n AVR that can decode it.  In my experience though, my PS3 can and outputs it through PCM. How do I know it, there is a button on the remote that allows you to check what kind of audio format is outputed.

hi sir ricochet, i think based on ps3 firmware update history, firmware 2.3-2.36 (june 2008) already supports decoding of dts-hd ma but of course as you indicated it outputs in pcm and can't bitstream it for your avr to decode.

PS3™ System Software Update 2.30-2.36

o New for 2.36 : System stability during use of some PlayStation® format software has been improved.
o Redesigned PLAYSTATION®Store           
o New for 2.35: System stability during use of some PLAYSTATION®3 format software has been improved.
o Blu-ray Disc playback now supports DTS-HD Master Audio™ and DTS-HD High Resolution Audio™ output.*

* The PS3™ system does not support playback of DTS-ES and DTS 96/24 for DVD-Video or DTS-ES Matrix for Blu-ray Discs.

i think there is really a clamor for ps3 to be able to bitstream these hd sound format so that enthusiast can have it decoded by their more sophisticated audio gears. but i read somewhere (to be verified) that the ps3's hardware can't support bitstreaming of these formats hence even when there are a lot of people craving for this feature, sony has not come out with a firmware to enable this feature.

since the update is already a year old. if you have just bought your unit fairly recently, you may already benefited from the newer firmware. but the latest one is 2.70 dated april 2, 2009.

Offline ǝʞɐɾ ʎzzɐɾ

• Trade Count: (+106)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • 13 x 3 = 1 O O !!!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 50
« Reply #1866 on: Apr 24, 2009 at 05:14 PM »
i dont want to rain in your parade...

am a PS3 user myself but have been thinking a lot about a dedicated BD player...

Five Gadget Facts for Earth Day

cheers!
˙ ˙ ˙ ɯɐp - ıp - ɯɐp - ıp - ɯɐp

Offline pchin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HD-Men
  • Liked:
« Reply #1867 on: Apr 24, 2009 at 07:22 PM »
Tnx for the info iiinas  ;) Due to the firmware update, our PS3 can decode DTS-MA.  :D

ricochet315, are you using a DTS-MA capable AVR?

i dont want to rain in your parade... am a PS3 user myself but have been thinking a lot about a dedicated BD player...

Five Gadget Facts for Earth Day

Is good to have choices....but then again not everyone will buy diesel cars just because petrol is more expensive.  ;D
« Last Edit: Apr 24, 2009 at 07:30 PM by pchin »

Offline ricochet315

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #1868 on: Apr 25, 2009 at 12:08 AM »
Yes, Iam using a Yamaha RXV1800.

Is there a member who bought a dedicated BD player after initially using PS3 as his BD player.  Is the AVR decoded audio superior to the PS3 output through PCM?  Assuming of course that only the BD player was changed in the set-up. ;)

Offline pchin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HD-Men
  • Liked:
« Reply #1869 on: Apr 25, 2009 at 08:52 AM »
Yes, Iam using a Yamaha RXV1800.

Great, PS3 should suffice but in view of your AVR, you might want to consider a SA BD player.  ;)

Is the AVR decoded audio superior to the PS3 output through PCM? 

I had mentioned that recently:

...thus in theory the lossless audio from both PS3 & SA players should produce similar quality.

However, another school of thought (audio gurus) believe SA players that can output bitstream (let the AVR do the decoding) should produce "slightly" better audio quality. Assuming there is really a difference, to notice/discern the "difference" would be near impossible (not everyone has a PERFECT HT setup & a pair of golden ears).

Don't let this matter worries us too much. :) On a separate note, there's a constant debate between Lossy vs Lossless audio. This alone, many users fail to distiguish btw the two.  ;)

In your case, you may want to get a SA BD player to make full use of your Yamaha receiver decoding capability. A critical question is whether you can discern the DTS-MA difference between a PS3 & SA player. But then again, if you have the spare budget $$ why not? ;)

Offline pchin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HD-Men
  • Liked:
« Reply #1870 on: Apr 27, 2009 at 08:56 AM »
Here's an excerpt from HD Guru Joshua Zyber explaining about internal lossless decoding:

"The other method to get full high-res sound quality is to let the player decode the audio internally. For this, you'll need a player with Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio decoders built in (some models will only decode standard Dolby Digital or DTS on their own).

The PS3 is fully loaded with all the decoders you'll need. After decoding, the player will transmit the audio as multi-channel PCM. Although you won't see a "TrueHD" or "DTS-HD" indicator light up on your receiver, there should be no loss in quality from decoding the audio in the disc player rather than in the receiver."
« Last Edit: Apr 27, 2009 at 08:58 AM by pchin »

Offline kakashi

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #1871 on: Apr 27, 2009 at 10:29 AM »
Here's an excerpt from HD Guru Joshua Zyber explaining about internal lossless decoding:

"The other method to get full high-res sound quality is to let the player decode the audio internally. For this, you'll need a player with Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio decoders built in (some models will only decode standard Dolby Digital or DTS on their own).

The PS3 is fully loaded with all the decoders you'll need. After decoding, the player will transmit the audio as multi-channel PCM. Although you won't see a "TrueHD" or "DTS-HD" indicator light up on your receiver, there should be no loss in quality from decoding the audio in the disc player rather than in the receiver."

wow, thanks pchin, so this pretty much explains that the ps3 is an ok bluray player as it is since "The PS3 is fully loaded with all the decoders you'll need"

so thats good news, at least we dont need to purchase a stand alone bd player since we have 2 ps3's at home, we can just deck one as a pure bd player... unless there's someone willing to trade a sa bd player for one of our ps3's... hehehe  ;D

Offline pogzz505

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #1872 on: Apr 29, 2009 at 03:25 PM »

sir this means that we also get the TrueHD and DTS HD using the ps3 pero hindi lang nalabas sa display ng receiver..tama ba..?

same lang ba ang Uncompressed 5.1 saka TrueHD and DTS HD?
Yamaha 663, Wharfe 9.1, 9cs, 9sr, Velodyne, Egreat m31b, Ps3

Offline pchin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HD-Men
  • Liked:
« Reply #1873 on: Apr 29, 2009 at 07:11 PM »
sir this means that we also get the TrueHD and DTS HD using the ps3 pero hindi lang nalabas sa display ng receiver..tama ba..?

same lang ba ang Uncompressed 5.1 saka TrueHD and DTS HD?

Yes, your PS3 can now decode all the HD audio: TrueHD & DTS MA :)

Yes, the Uncompressed audio should sound the same as TrueHD & DTS MA. However, due to space efficiency, studio rarely release BD movies in Uncompressed audio.

Offline pogzz505

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #1874 on: Apr 29, 2009 at 09:43 PM »
i'm using yamaha 995..kailangan pala ako mag-upgrade for trueHD and Dts HD..
Yung yamaha 663 ba okay or onkyo 606..pareho silang analog to fullHD upscaling di ba..

Offline SiCkBoY

• Trade Count: (+31)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 47
« Reply #1875 on: May 01, 2009 at 02:35 PM »
Hello guys,

Quick question. I'm planning to buy a 1T HDD (3.5 kasi mas mura yun) and put it in a USB enclosure. I want to fill it with HD movies and then plug it in the USB slot of my PS3. Will the PS3 recognize it? I read somewhere na kailangan daw FAT32 ang format. Is that true? Kasi di ata pwedeng FAT32 yun buong 1T of HDD.

Offline voj

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • DVD Addict
  • Ephesians 2:8-9
  • Liked:
« Reply #1876 on: May 01, 2009 at 02:40 PM »
i don't know about the fat32, coz i don't have a ps3. 

you might want to consider WD MyBook, believe me konting konti na lang difference in price sa internal

Offline SiCkBoY

• Trade Count: (+31)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 47
« Reply #1877 on: May 01, 2009 at 03:14 PM »
iiinas - i'm looking for the 2.5" so that i won't need external power anymore. i'll try to scout tpid pc and our market place here for the best prices. thanks!

steelcrazy - yep, i understand that the ps3 can only detect hard drives with fat32 formats. i read somewhere that there's a software (the name has a knife on it, forgot the exact name) that can convert external hard drives from NTFS to fat32. i plan on storing some hd movies on an external hard drive and view it on the ps3, i can use mkv2vob to convert the mkv files. btw, i just bought my ps3 today. i have 3 games but no blu ray movies yet, i'll browse the high def marketplace of pdvd to find some good offers. :D 

Bro, update naman.  Did it work?  Were you able to format a large hard drive in FAT32?

Offline ninjababez®

• Trade Count: (+77)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • I know what poverty is.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1040
« Reply #1878 on: May 02, 2009 at 09:38 AM »

Bro, update naman.  Did it work?  Were you able to format a large hard drive in FAT32?
you can try this HP USB Disk Storage Format Tool - v2.1.8, but youll have to reformat the whole HDD.
ninjababez online ..

Offline n3d_d2x

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #1879 on: May 02, 2009 at 02:41 PM »
sorry sir sickboy, di pa ako naka bili ng large hard drive for my ps3 eh so hindi ko pa na-try ma format. pero ang alam ko ang FAT32 meron 4gb per file limitation.

Offline kakashi

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #1880 on: May 04, 2009 at 07:49 AM »
i don't know about the fat32, coz i don't have a ps3. 

you might want to consider WD MyBook, believe me konting konti na lang difference in price sa internal

i have to agree, iba pa din ang set sa enclosure and internal drive combo, i tried a small internal and enclosure combo on my system before, ang bagal e, it slowed the whole system down just trying to access files from the hdd, anyways, it may as well just be me, but ask around first before deciding on getting the internal/enclosure combo,  :D

Offline docelmo

• Trade Count: (+28)
  • DVD Addict
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 8
« Reply #1881 on: May 06, 2009 at 07:32 PM »

http://www.bitburners.com/articles/convert-mkv-files-to-playstation-3-avchd-with-subtitles-using-mkv2vob/4345/

I was able to play an mkv converted to vob file using the instructions on this site! on a ps3(uk) ver 2.7!!!
Video and Audio quality were excellent!!! although there were no chapter or menu settings...
 ;D
Denon/ GoldenEar Technology/Onkyo/Optoma/Sansui/SVS

Offline Chet

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #1882 on: May 10, 2009 at 10:43 PM »
Bro, its taboo to discuss pirated stuff here.

Offline olats

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #1883 on: May 11, 2009 at 11:19 AM »
Yes, your PS3 can now decode all the HD audio: TrueHD & DTS MA :)

Yes, the Uncompressed audio should sound the same as TrueHD & DTS MA. However, due to space efficiency, studio rarely release BD movies in Uncompressed audio.

Newbie question here. point of clarification.

In this case, what will be the ideal AVR to buy? Do you get the latest (Yamaha rx-v663, denon 1909, etc.) with all the new stuff and be able to maximize its use even with only a PS3 sa BD player? Or just get the old ones since the PS3 is not compatible with the new formats (denon 1508, etc.)?

If ever, what is the AVR that is the most practical to get to be paired with the ps3?

Offline pchin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HD-Men
  • Liked:
« Reply #1884 on: May 11, 2009 at 02:57 PM »
In this case, what will be the ideal AVR to buy? Do you get the latest (Yamaha rx-v663, denon 1909, etc.) with all the new stuff and be able to maximize its use even with only a PS3 sa BD player? Or just get the old ones since the PS3 is not compatible with the new formats (denon 1508, etc.)?

If ever, what is the AVR that is the most practical to get to be paired with the ps3?

What is the BEST AVR for PS3

http://wize.com/receivers/t67070-ps3

Hope this helps. :)

Offline steelcrazy

• Trade Count: (+112)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • I'm the Love Guru.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #1885 on: May 12, 2009 at 12:21 PM »
Does anyone know how to install  Adobe Flashplayer in the PS3? I'm unable to player Texas Holdem Poker via the Ps3 browser. Tnx!
Gee yoU aRe yoU!

Offline kakashi

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #1886 on: May 12, 2009 at 01:16 PM »
Does anyone know how to install  Adobe Flashplayer in the PS3? I'm unable to player Texas Holdem Poker via the Ps3 browser. Tnx!

i dont think its possible since the ps3 has its own unique operating system, you can only install stuff on your ps3 via firmware updates, other than that, you cant.

Im not sure about it though, but im basing my answers on my personal experience with it.

The first gen ps3 couldnt even play youtube videos until they released a firmware update that allowed it to.

Offline olats

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #1887 on: May 12, 2009 at 03:29 PM »
What is the BEST AVR for PS3

http://wize.com/receivers/t67070-ps3

Hope this helps. :)

these are all previous models. so does that mean its better to get the previous ones than the newer ones? the reason being?

Offline pchin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HD-Men
  • Liked:
« Reply #1888 on: May 12, 2009 at 04:58 PM »
these are all previous models. so does that mean its better to get the previous ones than the newer ones? the reason being?

If you have the extra budget then I'd suggest you go for the newer or higher model otherwise those listed in the web should serve the purpose & sufficient to meet your requirements.

Offline pogzz505

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #1889 on: May 12, 2009 at 07:36 PM »
what settings do you use in HDMI audio format..linear pcm or bitstream..
Eto kasi napansin ko while watching movies..

Bitstream - displays DD and dts..tama lang ang oveall volume level..pero masyadong lubog ang vocals compared sa sound effects..as in pag sa vocals mo i-base ang volume level masyado malakas ang effects..pag sa effects mo naman i-base mahina ang vocals..-20db volume malakas na siya..

Linear pcm..doesn't display DD, dts, dolby trueHd, dts HD sa yammy 663..pero the sound is still 5.1..and eto talaga balanced ang vocals and effects..kahit sa vocals or effects mo i-base ang volume level balanced siya..kailangan lang laksan mo siya at least -15db sa volume..medyo mahina kasi..