Author Topic: PS3 as a blu-ray player  (Read 371690 times)

Offline av_phile1

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Cheers from a movie and music lover
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: PS3 as a blu-ray player
« Reply #2190 on: Dec 19, 2009 at 11:26 PM »
A UPS and an AVR have different functions.  The UPS gives you time to shut-off your equipment most commonly a PC in case of sudden power outrage, while the AVR stabilizes the line voltage from fluctuations but will die together with power outage..  There's no need for a UPS except for PCs.  Even an AVR is not needed if your Meralco line is stable.  But having said that, a good UPS can also act as an AVR but more expensive. 

Offline 5000rpm

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #2191 on: Dec 20, 2009 at 06:08 AM »
thanks for the input sir AV_phile

Offline pchin

• Trade Count: (+122)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • HD-Men
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #2192 on: Dec 20, 2009 at 04:54 PM »
Blu-ray 3D disc specification finalized

Computerworld -  The Blu-ray Disc Association announced today that it has finalized the 3-D Disc Specification, which includes support for the PlayStation 3. The format will be display agnostic, supporting any 3-D television, including LCD and Plasma models.

Full story at:
http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9142439/Blu_ray_3D_disc_specification_finalized

This will push up the PS3 value & demand. :) However, it's too early for PS3 owners to celebrate cos we need to buy a compatible 3D display pa & that alone will cost a huge bom! :(

Offline gaol

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 29
« Reply #2193 on: Dec 20, 2009 at 09:53 PM »
Probably a silly question: does the PS3 support resume from last saved position like in DVD players? That is, if I stop watching a blu-ray disk mid-movie, and it returns to the XMB menu interface, is there a a way I can return to where I stopped (instead of the disk being "initialized")?

Offline pchin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HD-Men
  • Liked:
« Reply #2194 on: Dec 20, 2009 at 10:53 PM »
In my case (fat PS3), yes it supports the "resume" function for Blu but not all movies are the same. It depends on individual movie if the "resume" is authored in the disc.

Example of movies that can resume:
King Fu Hustle (SONY)
Fantastic Four & Ice Age 2 (Fox)
*UP (Disney)

These movies will resume to your last played position. You may also remove the disc from the PS3 player & insert it back at a later time & day.
*For the UP, you will have to access the main menu to resume the movie at the last stop.

Example of movies that can't resume:
Transformers:RTF & GI Joe (Paramount)
Hulk, Hellboy 2, Jet Li's Fearless (Universal)
Open Season 2, Pirates Caribbean 2 (SONY)

Watching the Transformers: RTF is quite annoying & frustrating. Since the movie is almost 3 hours, hence I stopped it a few times (to attend work, house chores, etc) & unable to continue from my last played position. Each time I start the movie it will go back to the main menu.  :-[

It seems both Paramount & Universal don't support such function in their discs.
« Last Edit: Dec 20, 2009 at 11:01 PM by pchin »

Offline gaol

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #2195 on: Dec 22, 2009 at 06:07 PM »
In my case (fat PS3), yes it supports the "resume" function for Blu but not all movies are the same. It depends on individual movie if the "resume" is authored in the disc.

King Fu Hustle (SONY)
*UP (Disney)

These movies will resume to your last played position. You may also remove the disc from the PS3 player & insert it back at a later time & day.
*For the UP, you will have to access the main menu to resume the movie at the last stop.

Watching the Transformers: RTF is quite annoying & frustrating. Since the movie is almost 3 hours, hence I stopped it a few times (to attend work, house chores, etc) & unable to continue from my last played position. Each time I start the movie it will go back to the main menu.  :-[

You're right, it looks like it's movie dependent. I just watched Up and noted the resume function available in the main menu when you return. I hope more and more titles have this resume function then ...

Another question, my copy of Up is the 4-disc version I got from Amazon. I clicked on BD-Live and just got a message prompting me to check www.disneyBDLive.com for a list of countries where BD-Live is available.   My (locally bought) PS3 Slim appears to be an HK PS3 and when I registered for Playstation Network I left the country field as Hong Kong (no option for Philippines). Is there a way I can access BD-Live content from US-disks I get from Amazon and the local PDVD sellers?
« Last Edit: Dec 22, 2009 at 06:08 PM by gaol »

Offline gaol

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #2196 on: Dec 22, 2009 at 07:22 PM »

Another question, my copy of Up is the 4-disc version I got from Amazon. I clicked on BD-Live and just got a message prompting me to check www.disneyBDLive.com for a list of countries where BD-Live is available.   My (locally bought) PS3 Slim appears to be an HK PS3 and when I registered for Playstation Network I left the country field as Hong Kong (no option for Philippines). Is there a way I can access BD-Live content from US-disks I get from Amazon and the local PDVD sellers?

I'll answer my own question: it depends.  ;D

With Harry Potter 6, I am able to access BD-Live after registering at the given Warner Bros Blu-Ray site. . . . 

Offline 2RM

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #2197 on: Dec 25, 2009 at 07:33 PM »
Whats the difference between PS3 Slim US and Asian Version? Ano mas magandang bilhin?

Offline iiinas

• Kagawad
  • Trade Count: (+76)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • -> THXed <-
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #2198 on: Dec 26, 2009 at 07:14 AM »
Whats the difference between PS3 Slim US and Asian Version? Ano mas magandang bilhin?

i would say its essentially the same except for the dvd playback. if you get a us version then the unit will play only r1 dvds if you get the asian version you can only play r3 dvds. for bluray playback, asian and north america are the same bluray region "a", so if you buy those bds from amazon, it will play on your asian ps3.  :)

asian version are known to be cheaper since they come from either singapore or hk. so i say, get the asian version because its cheaper.

Offline 2RM

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #2199 on: Dec 27, 2009 at 12:35 AM »
i would say its essentially the same except for the dvd playback. if you get a us version then the unit will play only r1 dvds if you get the asian version you can only play r3 dvds. for bluray playback, asian and north america are the same bluray region "a", so if you buy those bds from amazon, it will play on your asian ps3.  :)

asian version are known to be cheaper since they come from either singapore or hk. so i say, get the asian version because its cheaper.

Thanks sir iiinas, is there any way to make it region free?

Offline iiinas

• Kagawad
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • -> THXed <-
  • Liked:
« Reply #2200 on: Dec 27, 2009 at 06:52 AM »

Thanks sir iiinas, is there any way to make it region free?

sorry, still no ps3 hack to make the ps3 region free for dvd playing. but a lot of people here will tell you to just buy a separate upscaling dvd player for this purpose.

i myself dont play my dvds on my ps3, did it only once or twice for testing. even with dual lenses, just dont want to risk damaging its part.

Offline 2RM

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #2201 on: Dec 27, 2009 at 11:50 PM »
Thanks a lot for a good advice!

Offline PajHERoY

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Apprentice
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #2202 on: Dec 27, 2009 at 11:54 PM »

King Fu Hustle (SONY)
*UP (Disney)

Watching the Transformers: RTF is quite annoying & frustrating. Since the movie is almost 3 hours, hence I stopped it a few times (to attend work, house chores, etc) & unable to continue from my last played position. Each time I start the movie it will go back to the main menu.  :-[

all the while i thought that the resume function should work for as long as you press stop first rather than directly turning off the ps3 from playback. nasa authoring pala ng manufacturer :)

Offline scoob

• Trade Count: (+75)
  • DVD Addict
  • Needs to learn a few tricks...
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 47
« Reply #2203 on: Dec 28, 2009 at 01:08 AM »
Hey guys need help.

My PS3 can now only read DVDs and CDs but not BD movies and Games (pag-games nag-hang after mga ilang minutes)  :(.

Do you know where can i have my PS3 repaired? And do you have any idea how much?

PS3 Asian version 60GB

TIA

Offline alistair

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #2204 on: Dec 28, 2009 at 08:53 AM »
You need to have your blu-ray lens replaced. If you're lucky, maybe they can fix it by simply cleaning it. Anyway, not sure about the price but saw around P5,000 being floated around before for replacement BD lens.

Offline pchin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HD-Men
  • Liked:
« Reply #2205 on: Dec 28, 2009 at 03:18 PM »
Do you know where can i have my PS3 repaired?

You can try Eyo Sales & Technologies at 3rd flr Vira Mall, Greenhills shopping Center.

Offline scoob

• Trade Count: (+75)
  • DVD Addict
  • Needs to learn a few tricks...
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 47
« Reply #2206 on: Dec 28, 2009 at 05:14 PM »
@alistair and pchin - Thanks for the inputs.

I came across this thred sa kabilang forum: http://www.pinoyps.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=15105
Will go there on Wednesday and try my luck....haaaay "this is the worst Christmas ever"  ;D

Offline ntlopez

• Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #2207 on: Dec 29, 2009 at 11:11 AM »
I have mine repaired by Noel of Cynet, hindi ko na ulit na-experience ang BDL, more than 1 year na  since na-replace niya yung lens ng PS3 ko, so far so good pa rin ;)
Try mo siya i-contact muna. Not sure kung nag-ho-home service pa rin siya.

Offline vtec3

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 30
« Reply #2208 on: Dec 29, 2009 at 03:06 PM »
I have mine repaired by Noel of Cynet, hindi ko na ulit na-experience ang BDL, more than 1 year na  since na-replace niya yung lens ng PS3 ko, so far so good pa rin ;)
Try mo siya i-contact muna. Not sure kung nag-ho-home service pa rin siya.

+1

had my PS3 repaired by Noel too and so far so good, madali kausap. eto yung number niya 0905-2663520 or 3576635  ;)

Offline 5000rpm

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #2209 on: Jan 05, 2010 at 07:55 PM »
hi sirs, can our ps3 process DTS-HD Master audio by itself? or do i need to hook my ps3 up with a receiver that can handle it? what i did right now is i have my ps3 connected to the home theater package that came with my TV via optical cable, but whenever I play Transformers revenge of the fallen, i cannot hear any sound. thanks in advance...

Offline dyerds

• Trade Count: (+41)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 45
« Reply #2210 on: Jan 05, 2010 at 08:49 PM »
^
Hi sir. First, you need to configure the audio setting of your PS3 by choosing optical cable for audio. Optical cable only transmits dts and dd so you need an hdmi cable to be able for your PS3 to output dts-hd and dolby truehd audio signal. Also, you need a receiver that decodes dts-hd. You can check the manual of your ht package if it has this feature. :) HTH

Offline erwin

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #2211 on: Jan 06, 2010 at 06:48 AM »
Congrats sir. I just have 1 question though. Im using an older model yamaha receiver that has no hdmi input , so right now im just using optical cable for my ps3. Will I be able to distinguish the difference between the 2 soundwise?Im just contemplating whether I should sell my old receiver and buy a new 1. Thank you.
60" Panny DLP
Panny HDD& DVD Recorder
Yammy RXV657T
Def Techs

Offline Huddaf

• Trade Count: (+33)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 18
« Reply #2212 on: Jan 06, 2010 at 07:23 AM »
Congrats sir. I just have 1 question though. Im using an older model yamaha receiver that has no hdmi input , so right now im just using optical cable for my ps3. Will I be able to distinguish the difference between the 2 soundwise?Im just contemplating whether I should sell my old receiver and buy a new 1. Thank you.

Personally, I don't hear that much difference. I believe it is too miniscule for a human ear to distinguish the difference in an actual room. Unless, you have an audiophile ear and an audiophile equipment. or unless, you intend to build a dedicated HT room with all the sound proofing and high end equipment.

As for your getting a new receiver... yeah, you should! Give it as a gift for yourself. Also future proofing your system.

;D

Offline 5000rpm

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #2213 on: Jan 06, 2010 at 08:36 PM »
thanks for the input sir dyerd..

Offline av_phile1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #2214 on: Jan 06, 2010 at 10:30 PM »

You would not be able to distinguish between DTS and lossless HD on even on a mid-range system.  You need a trully revealing system to do that.  But you might be able to spot some difference between DD and DolbyTrueHD.

But it really doesn't matter, because half our attention is focused on the visuals.  Sensory acuity of the ears is diminished.  We can be more attentive and critical when listening to music because our entire attention is focused on it.

Offline odyopayl

• DVD Guru
  • Smell The Flower While You Can............
  • Liked:
« Reply #2215 on: Jan 09, 2010 at 09:08 AM »
You would not be able to distinguish between DTS and lossless HD on even on a mid-range system.  You need a trully revealing system to do that.  But you might be able to spot some difference between DD and DolbyTrueHD.

But it really doesn't matter, because half our attention is focused on the visuals.  Sensory acuity of the ears is diminished.  We can be more attentive and critical when listening to music because our entire attention is focused on it.
I agree, as long as you have descent Sound set-up set-up. I mean complete speakers 5.1 (good quality subwoofer right now for HT this is a must).
The most important on HT is the Picture quality of your Monitor. The bigger the Better!
I am using this HD, lossless...master audio. Believe me if play them you can never feel any difference. Unless...you compare them apple to apple. I mean you swithc in between  but you will never do that hehehe. Enjoy!
odyopayl
octaver (wiredstate)

Offline ninjababez®

• Trade Count: (+77)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • I know what poverty is.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1040
« Reply #2216 on: Jan 09, 2010 at 04:56 PM »
You would not be able to distinguish between DTS and lossless HD on even on a mid-range system.  You need a trully revealing system to do that.  But you might be able to spot some difference between DD and DolbyTrueHD. But it really doesn't matter, because half our attention is focused on the visuals.  Sensory acuity of the ears is diminished.  We can be more attentive and critical when listening to music because our entire attention is focused on it.
bro why is it more noticable in DD?
ninjababez online ..

Offline av_phile1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #2217 on: Jan 09, 2010 at 06:37 PM »
bro why is it more noticable in DD?

My experience is between DD and DTS.  If I and some could distinguish between the two in a few materials, you MIGHT be able to distinguish also between DD and the lossless HD which is supposed to be of even better detail than DTS.  That was when I was switching between the two in my early HT years and actively looking for differences.  But that's not how we watch movies at home.  

With regards DTS vs DolbyTruHD, I failed to distinguish between the two on a colleague's Rotel/B&W setup last year, watching The Fifth Element BD and its Superbit DVD.  I had hoped to hear one  though I no longer pursued. We just watched the movie after a few minutes of A/B'ing.  The experience somehow diminished my interest in upgrading my pre/pro

« Last Edit: Jan 09, 2010 at 08:36 PM by av_phile1 »

Offline napshell571

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #2218 on: Jan 10, 2010 at 02:14 PM »
Good day mga masters,

My sis said that I have a BD player to come this March when she last called. Overheard his hubby on the background asking if I will opt for a PS3 instead of dedicated BD player. Will it be wise for me to pick the PS3?
Pls. help po, need your opinion.

TIA.

Offline iiinas

• Kagawad
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • -> THXed <-
  • Liked:
« Reply #2219 on: Jan 10, 2010 at 05:14 PM »
Good day mga masters,

My sis said that I have a BD player to come this March when she last called. Overheard his hubby on the background asking if I will opt for a PS3 instead of dedicated BD player. Will it be wise for me to pick the PS3?
Pls. help po, need your opinion.

TIA.

bd players now cost from $130-200. while a ps3 slim is $299. so aside from the $100-160 price difference. i would go with ps3. not only is the ps3 still one of the best bluray players out there, specially now that it can also bitstream the hd audio formats. its of course a hd games console and also a great media player / streamer too. so for the additional $100-160, its a great piece of av equipment.  :)