Author Topic: PS3 as a blu-ray player  (Read 369311 times)

Offline pchin

• Trade Count: (+122)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • HD-Men
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
Re: PS3 as a blu-ray player
« Reply #2280 on: Feb 20, 2010 at 07:23 AM »
..set up the audio settings in the ps3 for optic cable....put the home theater in TV/VIDEO MODE.....
and ZILCH..no sound! help pls

habits, if your PS3 audio setting is set to Optical out, then try adjusting your dz590k audio setting to "Optical/Digital" source. Probably your dz590k audio is still reading tru HDMI hence it is unable to detect any audio signal from your PS3.
« Last Edit: Feb 20, 2010 at 07:23 AM by pchin »

Offline habits

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Apprentice
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #2281 on: Feb 20, 2010 at 07:44 AM »
habits, if your PS3 audio setting is set to Optical out, then try adjusting your dz590k audio setting to "Optical/Digital" source. Probably your dz590k audio is still reading tru HDMI hence it is unable to detect any audio signal from your PS3.
thanks for the quick reply but hmm how do i do that? i changed HDMI audio off....how do i set the dz590k to optic cable?

Offline pchin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HD-Men
  • Liked:
« Reply #2282 on: Feb 20, 2010 at 08:23 AM »
Not really seting the HDMI audio off. It's changing the audio input source (assuming this is allowed) in your dz590k system to Optical so that it can detect the incoming audio signal from your PS3 optical. Try checking the dz590k instruction manual on the setting.

Otherwise, try unplug your HDMI cable from the DVD player to "force" dz590k accepting the audio from optical tho this will be very inconvenient each time you're switching btw PS3 & regular DVD player.  ;D    
« Last Edit: Feb 20, 2010 at 08:24 AM by pchin »

Offline habits

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #2283 on: Feb 20, 2010 at 09:08 AM »
Not really seting the HDMI audio off. It's changing the audio input source (assuming this is allowed) in your dz590k system to Optical so that it can detect the incoming audio signal from your PS3 optical. Try checking the dz590k instruction manual on the setting.

Otherwise, try unplug your HDMI cable from the DVD player to "force" dz590k accepting the audio from optical tho this will be very inconvenient each time you're switching btw PS3 & regular DVD player.  ;D    

tried doing it...alas ...nada.....is there a way to check if the optic cable works?

Offline iiinas

• Kagawad
  • Trade Count: (+76)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • -> THXed <-
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #2284 on: Feb 20, 2010 at 09:18 AM »
tried doing it...alas ...nada.....is there a way to check if the optic cable works?

sorry, but is the optical cable's cap taken out already, there usually is a rubber/plastic cap on the tip of the cable to keep the tip of the optical cable free from dust, sometimes people forget to take this out and directly plug it to the socket.

Offline pchin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HD-Men
  • Liked:
« Reply #2285 on: Feb 20, 2010 at 09:25 AM »

Regret to hear that bro. Perhaps you can try the optical cable on your other audio video devices to check if it works.

Offline indie boi

• Kapitan
  • Trade Count: (+31)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Twitter: @indieboi
  • Liked:
« Reply #2286 on: Feb 20, 2010 at 09:25 AM »
Didn't a previous firmware update allow for audio signals to stream through different connections at the same time?
« Last Edit: Feb 20, 2010 at 06:44 PM by indie boi »

Offline habits

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #2287 on: Feb 20, 2010 at 09:50 AM »
sorry, but is the optical cable's cap taken out already, there usually is a rubber/plastic cap on the tip of the cable to keep the tip of the optical cable free from dust, sometimes people forget to take this out and directly plug it to the socket.

the clear plastic caps? yes i took them out......is it correct to set the HTIB on a tv/video mode? thanks

Offline froilansurot

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #2288 on: Feb 20, 2010 at 02:51 PM »
help guys

im using my ps3 as dvd player

unfortunately, some of my dvd wnt play...region not supported

is is possible for ps3 to be region unlocked so i can play diff region dvds??

pls advse. tnx

Offline dyerds

• Trade Count: (+41)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 45
« Reply #2289 on: Feb 20, 2010 at 04:12 PM »
help guys

im using my ps3 as dvd player

unfortunately, some of my dvd wnt play...region not supported

is is possible for ps3 to be region unlocked so i can play diff region dvds??

pls advse. tnx

Thanks uli sirs
So to summarize,
PS3 slim
A. DVD playing
Asian for R3 only
US for R1 only
No hack to become region free

B. BD playing
Asian can play both asian us
US can play both asian us
reason same coding/region for BD

C. Downloadable content (DLC)
Asian
US
Both dependent on the game you are playing so you can access both asian and us DLC

D. Playstation Network account
Asian
US
You can both create accounts on both units on both US and Asia PSN

Did I miss out anything?

Offline barrister

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • cessante ratione legis, cessat ipsa lex
  • Liked:
« Reply #2290 on: Feb 21, 2010 at 09:17 AM »
B. BD playing
Asian can play both asian us
US can play both asian us
reason same coding/region for BD

... Did I miss out anything?

Suggestion:

Just say "Region A" instead of "Asian" to avoid confusion.  "Asia" is not the same as "Southeast Asia".

Southwest Asia is Region B; Central Asia, China and Mongolia are Region C.   

Offline Macmon

• Trade Count: (+87)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #2291 on: Feb 23, 2010 at 09:33 PM »

Suggestion:

Just say "Region A" instead of "Asian" to avoid confusion.  "Asia" is not the same as "Southeast Asia".

Southwest Asia is Region B; Central Asia, China and Mongolia are Region C.   

Thanks for the correction sir
To Boldly go where no Bluray has gone before.

Offline iiinas

• Kagawad
  • Trade Count: (+76)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • -> THXed <-
  • Liked:
« Reply #2292 on: Feb 23, 2010 at 09:39 PM »
the clear plastic caps? yes i took them out......is it correct to set the HTIB on a tv/video mode? thanks

did you got it to work already, not familiar with htibs but it is usually the aux mode if you want to use an external equipment connected to the htib.

Offline pchin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HD-Men
  • Liked:
« Reply #2293 on: Mar 02, 2010 at 08:17 AM »
Don’t Turn On Your Old PS3!! – Warns Sony

If you’ve got an older – non-slim – PlayStation 3, an internal clock error may kill your system.

Let me get this out of the way. I absolutely love the PlayStation 3. I own one and use it as my primary Blu-ray player and my secondary game system. I’m addicted to PSN download titles like Flower and Mushroom Wars and I play more Burnout Paradise than I’d care to admit. Unfortunately, it’s been having a lot of problems recently.

firmware update bricking systems were spotty, relatively isolated incidents. There wasn’t much in the way of a response from Sony, and issues were worked out individually. This one’s different.

Sony has put out word officially that older systems are having trouble dealing with March 1st. Apparently, due to an internal clock error, fat PS3s are freaking out. Clock times are being reset, data isn’t being saved, saved data isn’t being recovered, and trophies aren’t being given out.

If you use your PS3 as a Blu-ray player and nothing else, you might be in the clear. Blu-rays still play and the loss of trophies won’t affect you. Regardless, Sony is urging owners of older PS3 systems to keep their consoles off until the issue is cleared up.

A post on the official PlayStation blog says that the problem should be resolved within 24 hours.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2010/03/latest-info-on-playstation-network-status/

*The problem is reported fix na
« Last Edit: Mar 02, 2010 at 08:20 AM by pchin »

Offline Galactus

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Collector
  • Sturmbanfuhrer, Waffen SS
  • Liked:
« Reply #2294 on: Mar 02, 2010 at 10:30 AM »
I tried playing a p***d DVD of The Blind Side on my Samsung HTIB (HT-Z220).  Unfortunately, even before the 30-minute mark, it skipped several scenes too frequently, and I wasn't able to enjoy the movie.  So, I used my PS3 Slim instead, and watched it from the start.

Aba, it never skipped a scene and played flawlessly!  The upscaling was so superb, I thought I was watching a Blu-Ray disc! (Ok, so I exaggerated on that one, hehehe). 

Anyway, it seems that the PS3's lens is better than I thought it would be.  Reminded me so much of my JVC Dragonpick-equipped DVD player.  That baby could play any disc I threw at it, even heavily scratched ones.
Ein Staat, Ein Reich, Ein Volk, Ein Fuhrer!

LG 65" UH7700
Yamaha RXV-677
Denon Sys 5.1
PS3/ Shield

Offline vtec3

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 30
« Reply #2295 on: Mar 02, 2010 at 04:19 PM »
yup, problem is replacing the lens is very costly. had recently replaced mine and did not last very long  :( thinking of just getting a new PS3. if i were you i will buy a DVD player that can upscale your p....DVDs (some are a little over 2k lang) rather than risk your PS3 lens  ;)

Offline jvm

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #2296 on: Mar 02, 2010 at 10:22 PM »
[quote author link=  topic=59903.msg1142462#msg1142462 date=1266286713]
The PS3 can only output from one source, you can't audio output from the HDMI and optical at the same time.

[/quote]

There's a Multi-audio setting, enabling it to output sound to both HDMI and Optical at the same time.
« Last Edit: Mar 02, 2010 at 10:23 PM by jvm »

Offline pao625™

• Trade Count: (+27)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • break it down!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 95
« Reply #2297 on: Mar 02, 2010 at 11:36 PM »
There's a Multi-audio setting, enabling it to output sound to both HDMI and Optical at the same time.

yes, I agree with this..

Offline Queroberos

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #2298 on: Mar 04, 2010 at 12:31 AM »
Anyone using a samsung htz220 with their PS3?

Pa-share naman ng setting sa optical cable.

Im a total noob sa mga ganitong bagay.

Ang dami kasing box/options na pwedeng lagyan ng check after I select optical sa audio settings.

Thanks in advance

Offline RNIverson

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • SteelBooker ™
  • Liked:
« Reply #2299 on: Mar 04, 2010 at 09:07 AM »
Newbie question, how do you set your PS3's BD/DVD Audio Output Format (HDMI)? Linear PCM or Bitstream? Have been using Linear PCM since I bought mine, and have been wondering if I've been using the best option.

Offline Mouldingo

• DVD Guru
  • Life's too short, don't waste it!!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #2300 on: Mar 04, 2010 at 09:43 AM »

But only thing you'll get is stereo...

•(Linear PCM 2 Ch). audio is set to be output from all output connectors by default. If you change the audio output settings, audio will be output only from the connectors that were set.
•If you change the audio output settings, the system will no longer be able to output audio from multiple output connectors at the same time. For example, if your system is connected to a TV via an HDMI cable and to an audio device via a digital optical cable and you switch to [Digital Out (Optical)] under [Audio Output Settings], audio will no longer be output from the TV. To output audio from the TV, switch the setting to [HDMI], or select  (Settings) >  (Sound Settings) > [Audio Multi-Output] and set the option to [On].

http://manuals.playstation.net/document/en/ps3/current/settings/audiooutput.html
« Last Edit: Mar 04, 2010 at 09:50 AM by Mouldingo »

Offline vtec3

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #2301 on: Mar 04, 2010 at 02:19 PM »
Newbie question, how do you set your PS3's BD/DVD Audio Output Format (HDMI)? Linear PCM or Bitstream? Have been using Linear PCM since I bought mine, and have been wondering if I've been using the best option.

go to settings you will see everything there. hope this helps  ;)

Offline Galactus

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #2302 on: Mar 04, 2010 at 04:37 PM »
Anyone using a samsung htz220 with their PS3?

Pa-share naman ng setting sa optical cable.

Im a total noob sa mga ganitong bagay.

Ang dami kasing box/options na pwedeng lagyan ng check after I select optical sa audio settings.

Thanks in advance

I'm using a Sammy HT-Z220 with my PS3 (along with a 40B530 LCD TV). 

Just press the Aux button on your HTIB remote, until the display shows D.IN (for Digital Input).  I think you have to press the AUX button twice.  Then, under the XMB Sound Settings option, select Output via Optical Cable, then save your settings.  Voila, you can now enjoy surround sounds.  But please note, some games require you to set the sound options to surround for the settings to work.  Otherwise, it will still default to stereo sound.

LG 65" UH7700
Yamaha RXV-677
Denon Sys 5.1
PS3/ Shield

Offline RNIverson

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • SteelBooker ™
  • Liked:
« Reply #2303 on: Mar 04, 2010 at 11:03 PM »
go to settings you will see everything there. hope this helps  ;)

Sorry, let me clarify the question. I actually know where to set this, but not sure if the Linear PCM I've chose is the best/correct option. I don't even know the difference...  ;D

Offline scoob

• Trade Count: (+75)
  • DVD Addict
  • Needs to learn a few tricks...
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 47
« Reply #2304 on: Mar 05, 2010 at 01:01 AM »

Based from what I read, if you set the Audio to PCM, the PS3 does the decoding where as for bitstream it your PS passes the audio signal on its original format.  If you are using the fat PS3 better leave it at PCM to enjoy the HD audio formats.  If you have the slim, you can set it to bitstream provided your reeiver can decode the HD audio formats.

Offline vtec3

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #2305 on: Mar 05, 2010 at 11:53 AM »
Based from what I read, if you set the Audio to PCM, the PS3 does the decoding where as for bitstream it your PS passes the audio signal on its original format.  If you are using the fat PS3 better leave it at PCM to enjoy the HD audio formats.  If you have the slim, you can set it to bitstream provided your reeiver can decode the HD audio formats.

+ 1 the old PS3 can't bitstream new audio format like Dolby TrueHD and DTS Master Audio unlike the slim PS3 that can.

although personally i prefer to set it to bitstream and let the receiver do the decoding. There  should be no audible difference. Yun nga lang nice to see your receiver displaying Dolby TrueHD and DTS Master Audio  :)

Offline RNIverson

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • SteelBooker ™
  • Liked:
« Reply #2306 on: Mar 05, 2010 at 12:45 PM »
Yep, I actually want to see the Dolby TrueHD and DTS Master Audio on my receiver. Mine is the old fat PS3, so I guess I'm staying with Linear PCM  :(

Offline vtec3

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #2307 on: Mar 05, 2010 at 02:19 PM »
Yep, I actually want to see the Dolby TrueHD and DTS Master Audio on my receiver. Mine is the old fat PS3, so I guess I'm staying with Linear PCM  :(

the reason i bought a stand alone BD Player. reason din to justify SARS  ;D the price of the BD Players now are very competitive that it is worth getting one.  In fact it is almost the same price lang if you change your lens sa PS3. So PS3 for games and BD Player for movies  :)

Offline Queroberos

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #2308 on: Mar 08, 2010 at 11:56 AM »
I'm using a Sammy HT-Z220 with my PS3 (along with a 40B530 LCD TV). 

Just press the Aux button on your HTIB remote, until the display shows D.IN (for Digital Input).  I think you have to press the AUX button twice.  Then, under the XMB Sound Settings option, select Output via Optical Cable, then save your settings.  Voila, you can now enjoy surround sounds.  But please note, some games require you to set the sound options to surround for the settings to work.  Otherwise, it will still default to stereo sound.

Thanks for the info sir.

What boxes do I check after selecting optical cable sa PS3?

Thanks again

Offline Galactus

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #2309 on: Mar 09, 2010 at 11:01 AM »
No need to check other boxes.  After selecting Optical Cable, press the joystick/controller to the right (so it will move to the next screen), then save your settings.

LG 65" UH7700
Yamaha RXV-677
Denon Sys 5.1
PS3/ Shield